Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
TM is gonna have to sack up and take Kopitar off the top line and powerplay 1 and start playing Doughty less on the powerplay. He has less pull than the core.

This has always been my criticism of TMac- he has a game plan and that plan carries through 60 with no in game changes. If one line isnt working- he will seldom make an in game change to spark anything. Good coach in locker room and with players and maybe game prep- but in game strategy solidly lacking and lest we forget- losing 4 straight against the Kings in the playoffs.

Reactions: Schmooley

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I really wish we knew if leadership pushed Blake to acquire more veterans for a playoff push come 2021. If we still had greenlight to draft and develop.

2021 we might have had the capital to get Wallstread, IF we did not spend on RV.

We sent 2nd + 3rd for him. A 40th overall that year.

Could we have packaged 40 + 42 + 59 + 3nd in 2022 for 20th belonging to Edmonton? We honestly might have. I would have been ecstatic having Clarke and Wallstread compared to a player made of glass.

While Wallstread's fall in the draft was not predictable, hard lesson why you should not a.) spend assets on chronically injured players b.) spend assets just prior to the draft.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I really wish we knew if leadership pushed Blake to acquire more veterans for a playoff push come 2021. If we still had greenlight to draft and develop.

2021 we might have had the capital to get Wallstread, IF we did not spend on RV.

We sent 2nd + 3rd for him. A 40th overall that year.

Could we have packaged 40 + 42 + 59 + 3nd in 2022 for 20th belonging to Edmonton? We honestly might have. I would have been ecstatic having Clarke and Wallstread compared to a player made of glass.

While Wallstread's fall in the draft was not predictable, hard lesson why you should not a.) spend assets on chronically injured players b.) spend assets just prior to the draft.

It wasn't the leadership, it was the oldie core crying every day that they want another push for the cup

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
It wasn't the leadership, it was the oldie core crying every day that they want another push for the cup

Maybe? Do you mean the oldie core at the very top who makes the real decisions or Doughty/Kopitar? Can't blame players for wanting to win. They won it all twice and came close in 2013, they always want to win. Nobody wants to play for a losing team.

From a management perspective, Blake was doing a solid job with cashing out on old veterans instead of pretending to be Washington or Penguins.

- Carter? Out.
- Muzzin? Out.
- Martinez? Out.
- Toffoli? Out.
- Clifford? Out.
- Cambell? Out.

You keep all those pieces for another push. Sell those 1st for impact players. We went rebuild mode. Doughty had value, Kopitar and his contract would have been a hard pill to sell.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I always thought it made sense for both the org and the player for Doughty to get traded a couple years ago. He wanted to win so badly and the team improved but we were not ready. You need to be honest with him and yourself as an organization. If he still wants to stick around for the rebuild, then ok. But otherwise, find him a place to go and finish his career his way.

Kopi has always seemed to me to be an organizational guy. He would accept a rebuild and be a mentor. The problem has been the organization and coaching staff have relied upon him TOO much. Worn him out and rode on his back way too much. No need for it. But when you are trying to rebuild and get into the playoffs (for your vets), i guess the coaches felt they had no option otherwise. It's just been a bad usage of your aging superstar Kopi. It's not his fault -- it's the coaches and such.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
It’s been said before, but the only other core in the leauge that’s been together as long as this one, it’s the group in Pittsburgh.

It goes without saying, that teams just flat out don’t win shit holding onto players for 15 years.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kopitar and Doughty are toast but if I had to pick one I’d love for Kopitar to be off this team. Not only is he done but he’s taking icetime from important players.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kopitar and Doughty are toast but if I had to pick one I’d love for Kopitar to be off this team. Not only is he done but he’s taking icetime from important players.
What are you talking about? Kopitar has led this team in scoring every season. Reminds me of Mr. Baseball. People just don't have enough appreciation for ninth inning doubles in August.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
TM is gonna have to sack up and take Kopitar off the top line and powerplay 1 and start playing Doughty less on the powerplay. He has less pull than the core.

Who are you going to play instead of Kopitar on the powerplay? People say this and don't realize that our 2C has 16 career powerplay points and our 3C has 14 career points.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Who are you going to play instead of Kopitar on the powerplay? People say this and don't realize that our 2C has 16 career powerplay points and our 3C has 14 career points.
Gonna have to say give a chance to Byfield or Vilardi (whos also good on the faceoff) as Danault isnt so great on the powerplay. You have to change it up. Its nearly the worst in the league for almost a decade now. You have to change it.
Theyve gone through different head coaches and special teams coaches. Different shooters, net front guys, and puck retrievers. The common theme is Kopitar and Doughty. There isnt any other way to slice it anymore. You have to try something else now. Byfield and Clarke should be given the chance. Let them get some time and fail before you say they cant. It really cant be any worse than it is right now anyway.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I would start by giving Kopitar's power play time to Byfield.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
LTIR for Iafallo unfortunately. What a freaking bummer that is. He was the perfect set of training wheels for young forwards. Called up Austin Wagner to be the press box forward. Seeing as they have been paying him an NHL money to be in Ontario for the last couple years, may as well I guess.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Curious decision to call up Wagner. I guess he's the extra body for this homestand as I doubt he's going to play. If a forward is going to get scratched, JAD would be the one who would draw in.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Maybe? Do you mean the oldie core at the very top who makes the real decisions or Doughty/Kopitar? Can't blame players for wanting to win. They won it all twice and came close in 2013, they always want to win. Nobody wants to play for a losing team.

From a management perspective, Blake was doing a solid job with cashing out on old veterans instead of pretending to be Washington or Penguins.

- Carter? Out.
- Muzzin? Out.
- Martinez? Out.
- Toffoli? Out.
- Clifford? Out.
- Cambell? Out.

You keep all those pieces for another push. Sell those 1st for impact players. We went rebuild mode. Doughty had value, Kopitar and his contract would have been a hard pill to sell.
I mean Kopitar and Doughty.

Doughty called the head office on a daily base to resign his buddy Iafallo.
Both of them were also crying that they need more help for a cup run.
This was when Arvidson was signed

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Gonna have to say give a chance to Byfield or Vilardi (whos also good on the faceoff) as Danault isnt so great on the powerplay. You have to change it up. Its nearly the worst in the league for almost a decade now. You have to change it.
Theyve gone through different head coaches and special teams coaches. Different shooters, net front guys, and puck retrievers. The common theme is Kopitar and Doughty. There isnt any other way to slice it anymore. You have to try something else now. Byfield and Clarke should be given the chance. Let them get some time and fail before you say they cant. It really cant be any worse than it is right now anyway.
100% what u said. Durzi over Clarke for me on pp1 - both over DD. Byfield or Vilardi in place of Kopi. Those players would put the puck in constant motion and with deception. Might give up a few shorties, but I would imagine they would have plenty of success due to the sum total of their offensive creativity.

Reactions: Schmooley

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Curious decision to call up Wagner. I guess he's the extra body for this homestand as I doubt he's going to play. If a forward is going to get scratched, JAD would be the one who would draw in.

Remember when Blake bootlickers said the prospects would get called up when injuries occurred?

Reactions: GameNight

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

With Iafallo on LTIR Blake *could* start looking to make a deal for a LHD.. but rules are that once Iafallo is cleared to play he would lose that cap space. I dont know a ton about LTIR but I recall Vegas did some screwing around to get around that somehow.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Remember when Blake bootlickers said the prospects would get called up when injuries occurred?

It's one injury to a guy that was on the 3rd line. Kaliyev is now on the 3rd line. Who is going to sit? You can't say Iafallo. Lemieux brings too much of what they don't have. Nobody wants to see Grundstrom sit. Plus those two are on the bottom line anyway. Now if Wagner is in the lineup over Kaliyev, ok, that'll be a thing. But if he's the 14th guy, where is Kupari playing?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

I mean, that's fine if our goal is to tank this season(which honestly might not be a bad idea for the chance at Bedard). You are talking about giving PP1 duties to a forward with 14 points in 51 games and a rookie dman who just registered his first point.

Over the past decade Kopitar is 11th in powerplay points and it's not just from him getting too many minutes, he has a PP p/60 just behind Tavares and ahead of Patrick Kane. Doughty is 6th among defensemen and his PP p/60 is just behind Karlsson and ahead of Pietrangelo. Doughty was also 7th in PP p/60 last season among defensemen. It's not like they have been the ones failing to produce on the powerplay.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
It's one injury to a guy that was on the 3rd line. Kaliyev is now on the 3rd line. Who is going to sit? You can't say Iafallo. Lemieux brings too much of what they don't have. Nobody wants to see Grundstrom sit. Plus those two are on the bottom line anyway. Now if Wagner is in the lineup over Kaliyev, ok, that'll be a thing. But if he's the 14th guy, where is Kupari playing?
This is my fear. If Wagner makes his way in the lineup for Kaliyev I’ll lose it. Not even Axl will be able to defend that.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I mean, that's fine if our goal is to tank this season(which honestly might not be a bad idea for the chance at Bedard). You are talking about giving PP1 duties to a forward with 14 points in 51 games and a rookie dman who just registered his first point.

Over the past decade Kopitar is 11th in powerplay points and it's not just from him getting too many minutes, he has a PP p/60 just behind Tavares and ahead of Patrick Kane. Doughty is 6th among defensemen and his PP p/60 is just behind Karlsson and ahead of Pietrangelo. Doughty was also 7th in PP p/60 last season among defensemen. It's not like they have been the ones failing to produce on the powerplay.

The PP lives and dies on the decision making of Kopitar and Doughty. Occasionally it does work, just nowhere near enough, especially nowadays as Anze wears down.

The rest of the argument is part of the problem. Its considered a birthright for 8 and 11. Regardless of whether its working or not, they get those minutes until, like Brown, retirement.

Last night was, in my opinion, Kopitar's worst game as a King. He was totally spent, dumb penalty early, icings, flubbed passes and passes received, offered no support to his linemates, got walked on the first Caps goal and never even hit a stride on the line change that led to the third goal. He just couldn't keep up with the pace of a game that was frankly the slowest game of the year.

The plan for life after Kopitar should be in full effect, but his usage and that of the kids behind him are really, really concerning.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Yes they are the ones failing to produce on the powerplay and are predictable and slow to move the puck.
You do not want to believe reality. Taking them off it doesnt mean you are tanking. Kopitars numbers from 2012 do not matter anymore. He was staying on the ice nearly a full two minutes last year with very little to show. Byfield wasnt in the league for a decade and gets unfavorable starts with no pp time. He was matched up against Kuznetsov and Oshie while Kopitar got Dowd and powerplay minutes last game. There is no comparison to be made between him Kopitar and Tavares. Time to let go of the past. If you think cutting back on Kopitars minutes means they are tanking I do not agree. They would probably win more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad