Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
With QB crushing it on the top line LW, do we see a return of Vilardi to C?
Iafallo-Vilardi-Fiala

Such a high vowel to consonant ratio

Vilardi coming back makes it interesting for the forward groups. If you role with that line, which I'm fine with for the time being, That bumps Lizzote back down to the 4th line. And then if you do that, then who's the forward that's going to sit between Kupari, JAD and Kaliyev? Kaliyev just got back so you don't want to bench him, but both Kupari and JAD have been really good in their roles of late. Tricky situation McLellan has to deal with.

I have a feeling Grundstrom or Lemieux's days are numbered.

Reactions: kinghock

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Vilardi coming back makes it interesting for the forward groups. If you role with that line, which I'm fine with for the time being, That bumps Lizzote back down to the 4th line. And then if you do that, then who's the forward that's going to sit between Kupari, JAD and Kaliyev? Kaliyev just got back so you don't want to bench him, but both Kupari and JAD have been really good in their roles of late. Tricky situation McLellan has to deal with.

I have a feeling Grundstrom or Lemieux's days are numbered.
I don’t think so. The Kings are going to want depth for the playoffs. I can see Grundstrom being moved in the off-season or I can see him as part of a package deal.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think Vilardi needs to play wing in order to be successful.

I think Kupari and JAD our the best options for 3rd line C right now.

Has anyone else noticed that JAD is winning a lot of face offs? 59% is damn good even if he's not taking draws against top competition. It still shows he's more than competent in that area.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
FYI for those interested on the money side of things and what all of this "success" means for season seat holders next season:

Die Hard seats increase by $2.50
Regular 300 Level Row 4 seats increase by $2

Playoff price freeze for Round 1 no longer applied. Die Hard seats get bumped all the way up to the same price as the Regular 300 Level Row seats: $43.

Glad I still have Die Hard seats after all these years although, to be fair, I've mostly been paying for bad hockey since 2001. Funny that Cup Final seats in 2012 were like $35-$40 while even last year we saw a price freeze for Round 1 so there was no increase.

I don't cheer for the Kings to lose so don't take this as me rooting for it...just saying that it would be funny if they didn't even make the playoffs while already planning to jack up the prices more than they ever have.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Here’s the thing with Turcotte, he’s a player with status, he’s short, and if some ape is going to run you then they will find a moment where they can. You can’t really dodge that.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Here’s the thing with Turcotte, he’s a player with status, he’s short, and if some ape is going to run you then they will find a moment where they can. You can’t really dodge that.
He's just another prospect playing in the AHL with his lowest PPG this season out of his three "seasons" so far (he's only at 83 regular season AHL games played).

His only status at the moment is JAG and it is getting closer to bust. Gets lit up all the time and hurts himself the other half of the time.

Mike Richards wound up being 199 pounds but Turcotte still can't get to that size. Richards also grew up in the Canadian leagues (four years of OHL) v. this all-star USNDTP thing. It's one thing to be tenacious and it is another thing to comp someone to Mike Richards. Turcotte had a middling season in the NCAA once he started playing men and he's been doing the same in the AHL when he can actually stay on the ice.

We've talked about his trade value being a lot lower than some on here believed going into last season, never mind this one where he didn't skate for the entire summer. He has status with Kings fans but he doesn't have much status with anyone else.

Sure I'll get told how wrong I am and that's fine: hope I am. I just think that those that are going to tell me how wrong I am are the ones doing the heavy hoping.

Kings got screwed in that draft by the lottery but were rewarded the following year. Byfield and Clarke working out will cover up Turcotte if he busts; however, the Kings still won't necessarily have the intangible stuff that Turcotte was supposed to deliver.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Turcotte's trade value is about the same as Lias Andersson's when the Rangers traded him to us; a late 2nd round pick (60th OA).

Maybe less because of injuries.

There's really no point in moving him now IMO. Just hold onto him and hope he gets it together.

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Kings got screwed in that draft by the lottery but were rewarded the following year. Byfield and Clarke working out will cover up Turcotte if he busts; however, the Kings still won't necessarily have the intangible stuff that Turcotte was supposed to deliver.
Yes they did. They had 75% chance to be 1 thru 4, and ended up 5th. Think how things wouldve been different with Byram in our system. We did get Kaliyev in the 2nd round so there's that.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
At this point, with Turcotte repeatedly getting blasted into oblivion, the kings are almost forced into holding onto him on the chance he finally has that summer where he can bulk up and deliver on potential.

It’s all but certain his trade value is at an all time low.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I felt Turcotte could be a Mike Richards lite or perhaps a Justin Williams kind of player. It isn't looking very good now, hope he rebounds and makes something out of it but yeah...his value is probably a mid 2nd round pick right now.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Screenshot_20230216_225530_Twitter.jpg

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We’ve only had 5 100+ point seasons in our history 🤷
would you rather have 100 point seasons or cups. not sure how many 100 point seasons the flames have but I know they only have one banner that matters. Vancouver would gladly change places, same with San Jose. Edmonton is clinging to the 80s, and Anaheim luckily only has the one. Just going through pacific teams who may have over 5 100 point seasons.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
FWIW, the cutoff for playoffs this year looks like 96 or 97 points in the west. 30 points would do it, not a particularly tall order given their relatively easy schedule.

Right now, the odds of the Kings winning the division are much higher than them missing the playoffs.

• Wow
Reactions: Faterson and mbar

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
FWIW, the cutoff for playoffs this year looks like 96 or 97 points in the west. 30 points would do it, not a particularly tall order given their relatively easy schedule.

Right now, the odds of the Kings winning the division are much higher than them missing the playoffs.
Kings can win the west. If Kopitar and Doughty keep playing well and the young players continue to contribute they can take anyone. Goaltending will be key.
Dallas is good and Oettinger would be the big difference maker.
There really arent many consistently impressive teams in the west its wide open. Though this is a point in the season where teams that go far start to turn it up so maybe some teams get it together.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Kings can win the west. If Kopitar and Doughty keep playing well and the young players continue to contribute they can take anyone. Goaltending will be key.
Dallas is good and Oettinger would be the big difference maker.
There really arent many consistently impressive teams in the west its wide open. Though this is a point in the season where teams that go far start to turn it up so maybe some teams get it together.

I would be wary of the Jets as well. They have a pretty solid group overall and have the cap space to add at the deadline. Perfect time for them to go all in. Would not be surprised if they made a hard push for Meier.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I would be wary of the Jets as well. They have a pretty solid group overall and have the cap space to add at the deadline. Perfect time for them to go all in. Would not be surprised if they made a hard push for Meier.
Yea Jets are good and if they get Meier theyd be tough to beat. People on the east coast may not watch him enough so hes a bit underrated. Plus hes a Kings killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad