Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yeah, I'm fully on board with that, his contract status hurts him more than his play. We just need someone to emerge and be able to play against good competition. We don't have anyone that can, yet. Vilardi and Arty are getting there, hopefully they keep moving forward.
If you plug in kaliyev and vilardi in the top 9 which I think anyone would... you have 9,11,55,12,24,33,13,22,34.. do u really want to commit 4mil to a 4th line player? my point is not to criticize Iafallo as much as to point out Blake has stuffed the forwards and has gaping holes on D.. so someone has to go.. i guess the other candidate is RV. Edit: and since just signed Moore it indicates to me he isnt planning on dumping him any time soon.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
So just the last 12 games is a basis for how good a guy is? Trevor Moore has 4 points in his last 20 games, does that means he's shit as well? He's got 2 points in his last 12, half of what Iafallo has, and he's been the inferior player of the two this year. And now he's at a higher cap hit. Numbers are just part of it.

Like you stated in your post above about Byfield - "He’s making all the right plays right now, those little plays that go unnoticed but get outstanding results." Iafallo does this same exact thing, all the time. And so does Moore.

Iafallo is just the new player a lot are down on. This is reminiscent of the Kempe stuff where many said he was regressing and we should get what we can for him. AI is going to be gone anyways after this contract, which is low for what he brings.
His last 20 games, where he’s been mostly a negative player. You can overlook scoring if he did make the right play but he isn’t doing that either. He’s not winning the battles, he’s been passed over on the depth charts by younger, better players and he’s literally become expendable. Unless you feel the Kings can afford a $4 mill Cap hit for a fourth liner? His salary is best suited going to Vilardi wouldn’t you think?

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
His last 20 games, where he’s been mostly a negative player. You can overlook scoring if he did make the right play but he isn’t doing that either. He’s not winning the battles, he’s been passed over on the depth charts by younger, better players and he’s literally become expendable. Unless you feel the Kings can afford a $4 mill Cap hit for a fourth liner? His salary is best suited going to Vilardi wouldn’t you think?

I think the writing is on the wall with that anyways. I don't think he's been a negative player, really. No more than my boy Moore is for sure. Also realize that a lot of that was against absolute top competition. I get the 4th liner stuff, but he's obviously a lot better than that level. Right now we don't have a lot of guys to fill the role he fills.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If you plug in kaliyev and vilardi in the top 9 which I think anyone would... you have 9,11,55,12,24,33,13,22,34.. do u really want to commit 4mil to a 4th line player? my point is not to criticize Iafallo as much as to point out Blake has stuffed the forwards and has gaping holes on D.. so someone has to go.. i guess the other candidate is RV. Edit: and since just signed Moore it indicates to me he isnt planning on dumping him any time soon.

I was actually surprised when they extended Moore, as much as I like the player. I think Iafallo is the better of the two but being close to UFA doesn't bridge that difference. They are both streaky, but what they bring overall makes the team better. But yeah, Moore is the one who stays.

Moving RV would be silly, I don't think any of the young guys can bring what he does right now. He is great on both sides of the puck. He's only got one year after this anyways.

Right now I think both RV and Iafallo play out their contracts and then aren't retained. And of the two RV is going to leave the biggest gap. I don't really see any cap issues right now, and things are going to really change in 24-25. If Kopitar still has it he'll get a contract, and it won't be for $10M. Between that and the expected cap jump that season there will be a ton of options.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think the writing is on the wall with that anyways. I don't think he's been a negative player, really. No more than my boy Moore is for sure. Also realize that a lot of that was against absolute top competition. I get the 4th liner stuff, but he's obviously a lot better than that level. Right now we don't have a lot of guys to fill the role he fills.
Yeah he isn’t a fourth liner but the depth that failed to materialize last season has done so this year and we don’t need to move him now but it will need to happen along with Arvy.

Just for shits and giggles, we could roll 4 deep lines

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe

Moore - Danault - Arvidsson

Fiala - Lizotte - Vilardi

Iafallo - Kupari - Kaliyev

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I wouldn't discount Moore and Iafallo too much. Iafallo is one of the most well rounded players on the team. Moore has an incredibly good shot and there aren't too many players I would trust more than him on a breakaway.

Kempe is probably the best example of this, but I for one am amazed at how far he's come since he first joined the team. I always pegged him as a boom or bust type of player and he hasn't disappointed. Out of all the people on the team, I think he has the highest capacity to lead the team in goals. Maybe Fiala is the only guy who could come close. I don't Kaliyev could be, but he's a little too dependent on PP goals right now.
That’s the only ice time he gets with quality line mates on a consistent basis. Lol

Reactions: AbsentMojo

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah he isn’t a fourth liner but the depth that failed to materialize last season has done so this year and we don’t need to move him now but it will need to happen along with Arvy.

JAD says wtf?

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017

lizotte sticks out like a sore thumb

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
He’s making all the right plays right now, those little plays that go unnoticed but get outstanding results.
I’m not worried about points with him as what he needed to do was learn to play up to his size and be physically imposing… now that it’s happening for him the points will start flowing and he’ll continue to blossom.
Besides, what better person to learn the center position from than Anze and he gets to play against all the top players. That learning curve is really starting to level out!
I agree and I’m happy to be agreeing. I had some serious doubts. The Kings need him.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Will never understand why people get so grumpy when 40-50 point guys go on cold streaks. That's exactly why, by definition, they're 40-50 point guys instead of 70-90 point guys.

Picking one of Moore/Iafallo/etc. to poop on is silly because they're giving you the same streaky offense, if anything the good news is the Kings are finally deep enough that you aren't dropping in the standings when Pearson is doing it and that's all.
Those are two glue guys that have salary tied to them. You have to think one will be moved in the off-season. If I had my choice it would be Moore due to his being able to fetch the best return.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Or, create the NHLs best 3rd line:

Byfield Kopitar Kempe
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Fiala Barbashev Vilardi
Iafallo Lizotte Kaliyev

You can get a decent LHD and not improve much, honestly. Edler and Walker have been doing fairly well.
Or, you can make the best 3rd line in the NHL and win more games with that, then replacing Edler with Gavrikov.
50% of Fialas shifts are nothing burgers, playing with Lizotte and JAD. Now, add Barbashev and Vilardi.
This would be line 2 most nights and Danault's line #3. But that's ok. Teams would have a handful, playing
these 3 lines. Barbashev asking is a #2 and prospect...less than Chy, Gav or McCabe.

Or you could just add Toews as a rental. :nod:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Other than Chychrun, of all the players said to be on the trade block, I think ROR would help us the most.

But a move like that wouldn't make much sense for the organization as a whole.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Other than Chychrun, of all the players said to be on the trade block, I think ROR would help us the most.

But a move like that wouldn't make much sense for the organization as a whole.
for a rental he would fit well in the 3c.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

I'm probably reading too much into this, but if "set up front" means Fiala, Lizotte, Vilardi, I may just die. :laugh:

Reactions: dman3474

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So just the last 12 games is a basis for how good a guy is? Trevor Moore has 4 points in his last 20 games, does that means he's shit as well? He's got 2 points in his last 12, half of what Iafallo has, and he's been the inferior player of the two this year. And now he's at a higher cap hit. Numbers are just part of it.

Like you stated in your post above about Byfield - "He’s making all the right plays right now, those little plays that go unnoticed but get outstanding results." Iafallo does this same exact thing, all the time. And so does Moore.

Iafallo is just the new player a lot are down on. This is reminiscent of the Kempe stuff where many said he was regressing and we should get what we can for him. AI is going to be gone anyways after this contract, which is low for what he brings.
For me it’s about the cap. I love both players and every team needs guys like that. It becomes questionable when you look at carrying both at the combined cap hit. As such I move one this off season, but with a bit of regret in doing so. The cap requirements evolve constantly and best to make these sorts of moves when the other team doesn’t have you buy the short and curlies.

’d consider moving Arvi also with other guys developing it’s a definite option to think about. I say that to free up funds for upgrading the back end, because some rearranging of the deck chairs will happen. They then have to weigh up remaining term and potential trade returns.

With the cap they have to plan a couple of moves ahead so when it’s time to make the big move they can. Some bold decisions are looming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishhead

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
For whatever reason I keep seeing people mentioning Brendan Lemieux being involved in the JC trade for cap reasons but if that is the case we'll 100% need to bring in a tough guy at the deadline or in the Summer which is exciting.

avalanche-3.jpg

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't expect a forward at all unless it's a depth guy. For one, we have too many of them as it is. Second, the type of forward we would get completely depends on the plans for Byfield in the immediate future. If they see him as a center starting next year we obviously don't need another one of those.

I don't think we need even a rental up front. If someone offers something ridiculous that fits in (like Fiala), of course you do it. Otherwise I don't think we bother.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
I wouldnt want to dump moore anyways .. last playoffs i kept an eye out for which of our players elevates their game the most .. and i dont know why i was suprised it was moore ... well in my opinion i guess haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad