Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Ducks draft pick going to free agency. Get 'er done!!!

I've been watching a lot of crimson games lately watching Laf, but Thrun always sticks out. He puts up a good amount of points, but whether that translates remains to be seen. He does have a good shot but he doesn't scream scoring defenseman.

His strengths for sure are skating and gap control. He reminds me a lot of Anderson, really. Very difficult to get around, he seems to have a tool for every option that forwards coming at him have. Absolutely boring at times, and I don't mean that in a bad way. If you've ever played in a game against a team with a really good defensive guy, where no matter what or who went up against him he would just somehow disrupt the puck, neutralize your guy, and move the puck away to a teammate - it's like that.

He's a senior so a lot of that is expected, but he's a key reason that Harvard is a solid defensive team.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kind of an ironic post considering the Kings are quite literally still dedicating cap space to both Quick and Richards long after they helped the team win.
for sure. I think Quick's deal provided a lot of value even if the last year has been shit.
Richards obviously has extenuating circumstances. I always will wonder what the deal was going to be on the draft floor to move him to Calgary or Edmonton. Should have been bought out, but point still remains his cap being so low when he was so good allowed LA to build depth. Long term deal was to thank for that.

Thrun going UFA is surprising for me...was what worried me about Faber.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Thrun going UFA is surprising for me...was what worried me about Faber.

Me too, although I think Faber going this route now that he is with Minnesota is much less likely. I also think it's surprising because the Ducks are a prime team to break in on right now, it's not like they have a loaded blueline.

Reactions: YP44

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I hate to do it to the guy right after signing but I would trade Moore in the off-season.
Why though?
Is it just selling high on him?
Do you think younger players can replace him?

He has been an important part of the success of that line, they just aren’t as good when he hasn’t played. Last year (almost 50 points) might have been a career type year, but even if he settles in as a 40-45 point guy, are we really confident that guys like JAD or Turcotte can match that offensively? They both can do some of the little things Moore does well, but offensively can we expect either guy to even come close to Moore?

His cap hit is ok, he fits in with the age of many of the other guys and he’s a local guy. I just don’t see any way they’d move him, especially after signing him.

Thrun is a big loss for the Ducks, but they knew this was coming when he went back to Harvard this season. Most people expect him to sign with Boston, and even with as good as they are I think he will be in the NHL next season. He isn’t at the level of Adam Fox, but he will be good, and 22 years old and on an ELC for 3 years it’s a gift for Boston if that does indeed happen. I was impressed when I saw him play in Ann Arbor earlier in the year, actually the entire Harvard team, they have a ton of really legit NHL prospects, which is surprising with their obvious admission restrictions on getting guys in there.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I hate to do it to the guy right after signing but I would trade Moore in the off-season.
The haul would be pretty nice but Arvy and Iafallo are the ones that should go.
AI is now a 4th liner when you see Byfield excelling with Kopi, Moore with Phil and Fiala running wild with the 3rd line.
Arvy is expendable because of the progress Vilardi and Arty have made.. add in Kupari and even JAD and someone has to go. He’d likely get 2 - 2nds

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
The haul would be pretty nice but Arvy and Iafallo are the ones that should go.
AI is now a 4th liner when you see Byfield excelling with Kopi, Moore with Phil and Fiala running wild with the 3rd line.
Arvy is expendable because of the progress Vilardi and Arty have made.. add in Kupari and even JAD and someone has to go. He’d likely get 2 - 2nds
With Iafallo in the lineup the Kings are 19-13, without 11-12 - His value is not with fans but inside the locker room.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
With Iafallo in the lineup the Kings are 19-13, without 11-12 - His value is not with fans but inside the locker room.
With Iafallo on the second line it was shit. The reason for the improvement has been to transformation of the 1st line into a complete one. Iafallo hasn’t done shit his last dozen games, it’s been other players stepping up as well as the defensive settling down and Copley’s steady play.

Iafallo has what, 5 pts in his last 20 games??

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
It's possible. But more likely it's a bit more nuanced involved in explaining the record with & without AI (who was the goalie, other players in / out of the lineup, etc.).

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Since Byfield's move to the top line
Kopitar: 6g, 11a, 17p in 16 games
Kempe: 14g, 5a, 19p

68.42 GF%
He’s making all the right plays right now, those little plays that go unnoticed but get outstanding results.
I’m not worried about points with him as what he needed to do was learn to play up to his size and be physically imposing… now that it’s happening for him the points will start flowing and he’ll continue to blossom.
Besides, what better person to learn the center position from than Anze and he gets to play against all the top players. That learning curve is really starting to level out!

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He’s making all the right plays right now, those little plays that go unnoticed but get outstanding results.
I’m not worried about points with him as what he needed to do was learn to play up to his size and be physically imposing… now that it’s happening for him the points will start flowing and he’ll continue to blossom.
Besides, what better person to learn the center position from than Anze and he gets to play against all the top players. That learning curve is really starting to level out!

Yeah, I think the implicit assumption in those numbers is you give him guys that can finish those plays and they'll thrive.

There's no point in, say, Turcotte breaking up three offensive zone plays vs. the friggin Canes in one shift and shuttling a pass to Lemieux who whiffs twice.

Great, these guys are learning 'how to play' on the bottom lines but the reason they dont' produce is less because of their problems and more becuase you put a talented player with plugs and he can only carry them so far unless he's a Fiala/AA type that's mostly a lone wolf

Most of us that have been pumping his tires are completely unsurprised Byfield is coming around next to actual talent (just like he was next to Vilardi, too).

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah, I think the implicit assumption in those numbers is you give him guys that can finish those plays and they'll thrive.

There's no point in, say, Turcotte breaking up three offensive zone plays vs. the friggin Canes in one shift and shuttling a pass to Lemieux who whiffs twice.

Great, these guys are learning 'how to play' on the bottom lines but the reason they dont' produce is less because of their problems and more becuase you put a talented player with plugs and he can only carry them so far unless he's a Fiala/AA type that's mostly a lone wolf

Most of us that have been pumping his tires are completely unsurprised Byfield is coming around next to actual talent (just like he was next to Vilardi, too).
Funny enough, Turcotte is a deft playmaker and the stats ( for you stat geeks) are near elite(small sample size). Guys that make the right play 99 times out of 100 are the type that are invaluable and win you games as much as a sniper does…

Hence I’ve been dying to see

Fiala - Turcotte - Kaliyev

Edit: would like your post RJ but I’m on probation for shit talking the Cryotes :nod:

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
With Iafallo on the second line it was shit. The reason for the improvement has been to transformation of the 1st line into a complete one. Iafallo hasn’t done shit his last dozen games, it’s been other players stepping up as well as the defensive settling down and Copley’s steady play.

Iafallo has what, 5 pts in his last 20 games??
So just the last 12 games is a basis for how good a guy is? Trevor Moore has 4 points in his last 20 games, does that means he's shit as well? He's got 2 points in his last 12, half of what Iafallo has, and he's been the inferior player of the two this year. And now he's at a higher cap hit. Numbers are just part of it.

Like you stated in your post above about Byfield - "He’s making all the right plays right now, those little plays that go unnoticed but get outstanding results." Iafallo does this same exact thing, all the time. And so does Moore.

Iafallo is just the new player a lot are down on. This is reminiscent of the Kempe stuff where many said he was regressing and we should get what we can for him. AI is going to be gone anyways after this contract, which is low for what he brings.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
So just the last 12 games is a basis for how good a guy is? Trevor Moore has 4 points in his last 20 games, does that means he's shit as well? He's got 2 points in his last 12, half of what Iafallo has, and he's been the inferior player of the two this year. And now he's at a higher cap hit. Numbers are just part of it.

Like you stated in your post above about Byfield - "He’s making all the right plays right now, those little plays that go unnoticed but get outstanding results." Iafallo does this same exact thing, all the time. And so does Moore.

Iafallo is just the new player a lot are down on. This is reminiscent of the Kempe stuff where many said he was regressing and we should get what we can for him. AI is going to be gone anyways after this contract, which is low for what he brings.
Iafallo had 5 points in 2 months last Feb/March. He has long gaps where he doesnt do much. When I look at freeing up some cap space to plug some obvious holes on the roster.. you have to look at who is making money that could be replaced without major degradation.. who is that? Id say Iafallo. JQ salary next year has to be used for a #1. You just signed Mikey and you need to sign Vilardi. Something has to give if you want to patch up the D.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Kopitar has found a new boy toy that's rejuvenated his numbers in byfield

Byfield has made that line better, but I think there is an even bigger factor - coaching. TM finally wised up and matched up the 2nd line with top competition on a regular basis, relieving Kopitar of that duty. He's been tinkering with that here and there, but by making that standard he was comfortable moving Byfield up and putting Iafallo on #2 while Moore was out. Another thing many were frustrated with where TM finally figured it out.

If any wanted to know why Moore and Iafallo's numbers have both taken a step back, look no further than that - the competition they are both facing this year has been much higher. It also speaks to what a fabulous player Arvidsson is, and as much as I like Iafallo and Moore I would keep him over both of them - no question. Danault and RV are who drives that line.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Iafallo had 5 points in 2 months last Feb/March. He has long gaps where he doesnt do much. When I look at freeing up some cap space to plug some obvious holes on the roster.. you have to look at who is making money that could be replaced without major degradation.. who is that? Id say Iafallo. JQ salary next year has to be used for a #1. You just signed Mikey and you need to sign Vilardi. Something has to give if you want to patch up the D.
Yeah, I'm fully on board with that, his contract status hurts him more than his play. We just need someone to emerge and be able to play against good competition. We don't have anyone that can, yet. Vilardi and Arty are getting there, hopefully they keep moving forward.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Will never understand why people get so grumpy when 40-50 point guys go on cold streaks. That's exactly why, by definition, they're 40-50 point guys instead of 70-90 point guys.

Picking one of Moore/Iafallo/etc. to poop on is silly because they're giving you the same streaky offense, if anything the good news is the Kings are finally deep enough that you aren't dropping in the standings when Pearson is doing it and that's all.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Byfield has made that line better, but I think there is an even bigger factor - coaching. TM finally wised up and matched up the 2nd line with top competition on a regular basis, relieving Kopitar of that duty. He's been tinkering with that here and there, but by making that standard he was comfortable moving Byfield up and putting Iafallo on #2 while Moore was out. Another thing many were frustrated with where TM finally figured it out.

If any wanted to know why Moore and Iafallo's numbers have both taken a step back, look no further than that - the competition they are both facing this year has been much higher. It also speaks to what a fabulous player Arvidsson is, and as much as I like Iafallo and Moore I would keep him over both of them - no question. Danault and RV are who drives that line.
I wouldn't discount Moore and Iafallo too much. Iafallo is one of the most well rounded players on the team. Moore has an incredibly good shot and there aren't too many players I would trust more than him on a breakaway.

Will never understand why people get so grumpy when 40-50 point guys go on cold streaks. That's exactly why, by definition, they're 40-50 point guys instead of 70-90 point guys.

Picking one of Moore/Iafallo/etc. to poop on is silly because they're giving you the same streaky offense, if anything the good news is the Kings are finally deep enough that you aren't dropping in the standings when Pearson is doing it and that's all.
Kempe is probably the best example of this, but I for one am amazed at how far he's come since he first joined the team. I always pegged him as a boom or bust type of player and he hasn't disappointed. Out of all the people on the team, I think he has the highest capacity to lead the team in goals. Maybe Fiala is the only guy who could come close. I don't Kaliyev could be, but he's a little too dependent on PP goals right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad