Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Greg Wyshynski says the Kings offered Vilardi and a 1st last offseason, but AZ declined.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
1x 1st Round Pick
1x 2nd Round Pick
1x Young Forward Not Named Byfield, Kaliyev or Vilardi
Durzi
Walker (cap dump)

That's the max the Kings can do IMO. And even then I wouldn't love it, but it's reasonable. Any more than that and it's a no-go.
You should read the write on Chychrun from the Athletic, it’s like they’re talking about a taller Durzi..

Reactions: kinghock

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Greg Wyshynski says the Kings offered Vilardi and a 1st last offseason, but AZ declined.
They wouldn’t get that today..
but at the same time, none of those guys have any insight into the Kings, many things are said about the FO but one thing I do know is they sure do know how to keep things quite.

Reactions: johnjm22

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
They wouldn’t get that today..
but at the same time, none of those guys have any insight into the Kings, many things are said about the FO but one thing I do know is they sure do know how to keep things quite.
Heck no they wouldn't. Vilardi has turned into one of our best forwards this year.

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall during these conversations. Just sitting there w/ popcorn and an Icee.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Lmfao.. I salute you sir !!!
I am sorry...I just saw that and couldn't resist. I make morte tyypos and overuse, of punctuation and runon sentences....but, will never, buy grammerly.

Honestly, thanks for the Athletic link!! I sunscribe and checkked it out.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
You should look at the analytics.

Chychrun is one of the best U25 dmen in the game.
All I do all day is work with analytics and I can tell you that it’s only part of a complete picture. Does it factor in his lack of top competition? Or inconsistent defensive acumen? Or his inability to make consistent passes?
People portraying this guy as a legit #2 have zero idea what they’re talking about. The guy is a second pairing Dman with a great shot who gets exploited by top lines.. but you already knew that because analytics right?

Reactions: Statto and tbrown33

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You should look at the analytics.

Chychrun is one of the best U25 dmen in the game.

Please show your work because outside of this year when he's getting deployed like Erik Karlsson the analytics are far from flattering.

Arizona trusts GHOST more as a two way d-man than Chychrun and he's having a superior all-around year even with Chychruns pillowsoft deployment.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Please show your work because outside of this year when he's getting deployed like Erik Karlsson the analytics are far from flattering.

Arizona trusts GHOST more as a two way d-man than Chychrun and he's having a superior all-around year even with Chychruns pillowsoft deployment.
It just seems like there's a lot of fluff/question marks with this guy. No one is doubting he has size or can score/be effective in the offensive zone, but is he a game changer? That would dictate how much I'd be willing to give up in any trade scenario.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
All I do all day is work with analytics and I can tell you that it’s only part of a complete picture. Does it factor in his lack of top competition? Or inconsistent defensive acumen? Or his inability to make consistent passes?
People portraying this guy as a legit #2 have zero idea what they’re talking about. The guy is a second pairing Dman with a great shot who gets exploited by top lines.. but you already knew that because analytics right?
Since you are disregarding the analytics, do you watch him? I’ve seen about 25 games of his this year and I see a guy who absolutely can and does do the things that you mention. It sounds to me that you are stuck on the assignments and not objectively trying to project the player.

I’m not bent on getting him but I am very confident in him if the Kings put him in the lineup. Watching Durzi and JC is like watching night and day. JC has the physical ability and the mental acumen that Durzi does not. He plays good defense because he had the skills to do so, regardless of the competition. It’s easy to see JC being just fine in tougher situations with the right motivation and partner.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

I can’t speak for prior to this season but is it a stretch to think that maybe he’s matured as a player?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Chychrun this year is on the ice against elite competition 1 out 4 times.

Comparatively, Doughty/Anderson are on the ice against elite comp 1 out 3 times.

This isn't some chasm of difference. All players have assets and flaws in their game. There's flaws in Doughty's game. Doesn't mean he's not great.

Over the past 3 seasons combined, Chychrun has 1.37 P/60 at 5v5. That's elite. Only 5 defensemen are better (min 100gp). And that's while playing on AZ.

I'm not sure what you mean by my work. But most of the aggregated analytics formulas show his defense is average to above average (are you looking at different ones?). When you factor that in with his offense, it's not controversial to say he's one of the best U25 dmen in the game.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I can’t speak for prior to this season but is it a stretch to think that maybe he’s matured as a player?
That's the other thing.

Defensemen peak in their mid to late 20's. Chychrun just hit his mid 20's this year. His best years should be in front of him.

The concern with him isn't his game. It's his contract (only two more years after this one) and the injuries.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Since you are disregarding the analytics, do you watch him? I’ve seen about 25 games of his this year and I see a guy who absolutely can and does do the things that you mention. It sounds to me that you are stuck on the assignments and not objectively trying to project the player.

I’m not bent on getting him but I am very confident in him if the Kings put him in the lineup. Watching Durzi and JC is like watching night and day. JC has the physical ability and the mental acumen that Durzi does not. He plays good defense because he had the skills to do so, regardless of the competition. It’s easy to see JC being just fine in tougher situations with the right motivation and partner.
Reread my comments because you clearly misunderstood. I said that analytics play a role in the overall picture while some think it’s the end all be all.
As for seeing him, well you and I must have seen the different people because he’s everything I mentioned and confirmed that he has an average defensive IQ and gets smoked by top flight competition. And yes, I’ve seen the guy a little more than a dozen times and he has size and a great shot but he isn’t making anyone a contender. The guys is a slightly better, naturally LH Durzi… which isn’t bad right but for 3 - 1st hmmm..

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think the deal might fall through and for good reason. I think usually if there are such hang ups during trade talks then it usually isn’t the best trade. Might be best to look elsewhere.

Also, people really need to stop acting like Faber had a future as a King.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

No, I'm sure he's grown a little too, but the bump in numbers directly correlates with the sheltered deployment, so occam's razor.

Comparatively, Doughty/Anderson are on the ice against elite comp 1 out 3 times.

This isn't some chasm of difference. All players have assets and flaws in their game. There's flaws in Doughty's game. Doesn't mean he's not great.

Over the past 3 seasons combined, Chychrun has 1.37 P/60 at 5v5. That's elite. Only 5 defensemen are better . And that's while playing on AZ.

I'm not sure what you mean by my work. But most of the aggregated analytics formulas show his defense is average to above average (are you looking at different ones?). When you factor that in with his offense, it's not controversial to say he's one of the best U25 dmen in the game.

Actually yes, 25% to 33% is a pretty big jump and when you factor in his near-total lack of PKing and his deployment compared to teammates/team it's pretty clear they're doing everything they can to juice his value.

No one is doubting his lack of production. Im' doubting his lack of game-breaking and two-way D role vs. the value people are being asked to give up. I'm not comfortable giving up 3-4 1st round equivalent assets for a guy who only thrives when he's being force fed offensive minutes. Not even AZ trusts him to protect a lead. Hell give that deployment to Durzi, it's free.

Chychrun assumes Durzi's role, not Doughty's. is that worth the picks? That's a debate, but not to me.

Reactions: Statto and tbrown33

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

Over the past 3 seasons combined, Chychrun has 1.37 P/60 at 5v5. That's elite. Only 5 defensemen are better . And that's while playing on AZ.

No one is saying he isn’t a good fit but the price and expectation aren’t realistic.
When I look at analytics I cross reference the input data to determine what is potentially missing. When you look at defensive metrics they rarely factor vs X (lines), instead it’s vs opponents. This is critical to my point that he absolutely excels against weaker competition, which is exactly why he’s deployed as he is.. if that makes sense..
He is not above average defensive but I will say he is pretty good.. above average is our own Mikey Anderson who is plays top notch comp night in and night out. For a number 3 Dman, you just can’t justify the price tag, people are also forgetting to ask the following..
Does Chychrun make the Kings a cup contender in 2.5 years?
Can he sustained his offense and health in what’s sure to be are more demanding style of play?
If there’s any doubt to what I asked then it’s a huge risk since he won’t be resigning for under $5 mill with the current market or at worse he plays a prorated amount of games and isn’t as impactful as people expect

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Reread my comments because you clearly misunderstood. I said that analytics play a role in the overall picture while some think it’s the end all be all.
As for seeing him, well you and I must have seen the different people because he’s everything I mentioned and confirmed that he has an average defensive IQ and gets smoked by top flight competition. And yes, I’ve seen the guy a little more than a dozen times and he has size and a great shot but he isn’t making anyone a contender. The guys is a slightly better, naturally LH Durzi… which isn’t bad right but for 3 - 1st hmmm..
I disagree man. Durzi straight up sucks because he’s Derek Zoolander on the runway. He has shit vision and shit feet. Comparing the two is stupid. JC has good analytics on defense and he has great vision. I’m not sure you really have watched him. You have issue with his passing too? Just stop.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
No one is saying he isn’t a good fit but the price and expectation aren’t realistic.
When I look at analytics I cross reference the input data to determine what is potentially missing. When you look at defensive metrics they rarely factor vs X (lines), instead it’s vs opponents. This is critical to my point that he absolutely excels against weaker competition, which is exactly why he’s deployed as he is.. if that makes sense..
He is not above average defensive but I will say he is pretty good.. above average is our own Mikey Anderson who is plays top notch comp night in and night out. For a number 3 Dman, you just can’t justify the price tag, people are also forgetting to ask the following..
Does Chychrun make the Kings a cup contender in 2.5 years?
Can he sustained his offense and health in what’s sure to be are more demanding style of play?
If there’s any doubt to what I asked then it’s a huge risk since he won’t be resigning for under $5 mill with the current market or at worse he plays a prorated amount of games and isn’t as impactful as people expect
The price tag is making your objectivity skewed. Analyze the player without the price tag.
Adding the cost variables to the equation goes without saying. Nobody wants to give up what the Yotes are asking. That’s universal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad