Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't think the issue with trading Cal is the NTC. I think the issue with him is that his contract sucks and he's been shit this year in the NHL. No team is going to do us any favors by just taking him unless they want to secure the best odds for Bedard. Its probably a contract we're just going to have to eat for the time being

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If you were Cal, would you waive your NTC to go to the coyotes? They have been a perpetually rebuilding team for years. Get cap dumps for picks and prospects and have no real direction besides tank for Bedard and go from there. Probably do the same next season too?

Or live by the beach and collect a paycheck. Potentially get back to the NHL for a team who is closer to winning.

Maybe he could see it as he could build his game back at the NHL level in AZ instead of the AHL?

I dunno. I don't see a huge reason for him to agree to waive for AZ.
Well the one reason I see is he would get to fly on planes vs ride on a bus

I don't think the issue with trading Cal is the NTC. I think the issue with him is that his contract sucks and he's been shit this year in the NHL. No team is going to do us any favors by just taking him unless they want to secure the best odds for Bedard. Its probably a contract we're just going to have to eat for the time being
The only thing I could see if they are shooting to be a cap floor team, Cal doesnt hurt them that much.. and Im sure if that ugly amount was the snag, they could work out retention anyway

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Exactly. No team is going to bail out Blake just because.

Blake is the one who signed that god awful deal. Now he either needs to retain or actively pay someone to take it from him. In the meantime the team will be hamstrung from improving its roster.

Regardless, I don’t think Chychrun makes us dramatically better, so not making this deal at all isn’t the end of the world.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Exactly. No team is going to bail out Blake just because.

Blake is the one who signed that god awful deal. Now he either needs to retain or actively pay someone to take it from him. In the meantime the team will be hamstrung from improving its roster.

Regardless, I don’t think Chychrun makes us dramatically better, so not making this deal at all isn’t the end of the world.

The biggest thing for me is that the rumored value gap between Chychrun and all the 2nd tier guys is much larger than the actual talent gap.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009

Well, we just need to go full boar salesman for giving out Peterson.

"Come on now Billy boy. We all know the goal is Bedard and onwards. This baby faced goalie will not only allow you to reach the salary floor, BUT will help secure those top picks. In just 2 years after this your franchise will have Bedard and Dickinson. We did this with Cloutier and look how it turned out! We got Cloutier (with a second round pick!) and received Drew Doughty. Two cups and counting. We are confident you will receive a franchise player since we believe in passing it on.

Tell ya what Bill, it's basically Bedard and your second round pick for Cal Peterson!

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Well the one reason I see is he would get to fly on planes vs ride on a bus

The only thing I could see if they are shooting to be a cap floor team, Cal doesnt hurt them that much.. and Im sure if that ugly amount was the snag, they could work out retention anyway
That is a very good point. Travel accommodations and per diem are definitely better in the NHL.

I would rather them keep Cal in the AHL than pay to trade him away as a dump. He is better than anyone else in the pipeline for an emergency recall. Buy him out after next season (if Blake can get a decent goalie in the system) or trade him then for less. There is always the very slight chance of him playing himself into a capable backup.

re: Chychrun - I don't care if he is traded to the kings or not, I am just ready for this to be over with.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

giphy.gif

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
That is a very good point. Travel accommodations and per diem are definitely better in the NHL.

I would rather them keep Cal in the AHL than pay to trade him away as a dump. He is better than anyone else in the pipeline for an emergency recall. Buy him out after next season (if Blake can get a decent goalie in the system) or trade him then for less. There is always the very slight chance of him playing himself into a capable backup.

re: Chychrun - I don't care if he is traded to the kings or not, I am just ready for this to be over with.
Me too iguana. I'd be more excited to move the target to Chabot, Barbashev, Ekholm (won't happen until 2+ weeks, if Preds out) and even McCabe or Gavrikov.
(although think Gavrikov is overrated)

R (3).jpg

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Greta write up in the Athletic about the Chychrun rumors and his potential flaws which aren’t exactly minor.. the guy isn’t worth the assets but all some see us 18 goals a few years back… here’s the link for those that have access

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Assuming Durzi is part of the package to land Chychrun, we could be looking at a blueline of...

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Roy
Edler-Walker/Spence

By next season, Bjornfot should replace Edler, and Spence should push out Walker, though Clarke can also sneak into that picture and force another dman out.

That's a pretty loaded blueline that can remain intact for the next four-plus seasons.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I worked out a trade once... I was going to trade my car, my laptop and my xbox to this guy in exchange for his car, his laptop and his thumb but the guy wouldn't agree to cut off his thumb!

We were so close! The trade was all worked out and it was basically done I can't believe we got SO CLOSE to pulling it off but we just hit that one little snag of him not being willing to cut off his thumb.

Such a bummer to get SO CLOSE to pulling off that trade.
What was the thumb for, in case the car breaks down and you need to thumb a ride?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Assuming Durzi is part of the package to land Chychrun, we could be looking at a blueline of...

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Roy
Edler-Walker/Spence

By next season, Bjornfot should replace Edler, and Spence should push out Walker, though Clarke can also sneak into that picture and force another dman out.

That's a pretty loaded blueline that can remain intact for the next four-plus seasons.

Yep, if it's Durzi-1st-2nd and whatever prospects (madden, etc), I'm good with it. That's more like his 'role' value.

This is what I've been saying, but with more actual statistics:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Anderson-Doughty
Chychrun-Roy
Edler-Walker/Spence

Salary has to go the other way in the trade though. Makes sense for AZ to take on Walker's contract.

That top 4 is probably one of the best in the NHL.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yep, if it's Durzi-1st-2nd and whatever prospects (madden, etc), I'm good with it. That's more like his 'role' value.

This is what I've been saying, but with more actual statistics:

I'm guessing AZ is trying to up his trade value w that deployment vs. because he's not capable of 1st or 2nd pair assignments...just a thought. Thats a franchise whose strategy is not about winning in the normal sense of the word.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Greta write up in the Athletic about the Chychrun rumors and his potential flaws which aren’t exactly minor.. the guy isn’t worth the assets but all some see us 18 goals a few years back… here’s the link for those that have access

Greta is now writing for The Athletic? 'How dare we drive cars to hockey games, or some such? Teams flying in planes, to play a sport?? Eeck.

OIP (3).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad