Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
In my opinion reading that text doesnt say crap. He said a Kings and Coyote trade centered around Clarke. He didn’t say it was happening, but he also didn’t say it wasn’t. I just read it as if the Kings wanted Chychrun the package centers around Clarke. It’s a poor tweet as he was vague and open ended. Either he rushed ti get it out and didn’t put a lot into it or he really blew it.
Wild also asked for Clarke in the Fiala deal, and it was settled on Faber. That makes 2 teams officially asking for Clarke. Kid is legit, let the haters hate. At 24 he'll be a dynamite player... much more than Chychrun (24) ever was or is.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
You don't trade away an asset that has the best chance to anchor your blueline for years for a guy who is in reality a #3 but it as usual being overvalued and has been overvalued for over a year otherwise a team would have made the move for him rather than pivot to other guys. I would love to have Chychrun but the Kings aren't going to be in a position to draft that high again most likely so unless the deal is for other assets than Clarke or Byfield then have a nice day.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
32 Thoughts Pod this morning confirms Kings have told teams Byfield and Clarke aren’t available. Also confirms Kings took the step of informing Clarke he’s not being traded because that Kypreos tweet (they didn’t specify Kypreos but it’s obvious what set things off) caused speculation to go crazy. Friedman says Kings and Coyotes were down the road on a deal but hit a snag on an ancillary contract involved (I’m guessing Walker or Cal). Seems like things are on pause for now but he said talks could restart at any time.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
32 Thoughts Pod this morning confirms Kings have told teams Byfield and Clarke aren’t available. Also confirms Kings took the step of informing Clarke he’s not being traded because that Kypreos tweet (they didn’t specify Kypreos but it’s obvious what set things off) caused speculation to go crazy. Friedman says Kings and Coyotes were down the road on a deal but hit a snag on an ancillary contract involved (I’m guessing Walker or Cal). Seems like things are on pause for now but he said talks could restart at any time.

Good summary. Just to be clear, that it hit a snag due to an ancillary contract was Friedman's own theory and shouldn't be taken as gospel. It's certainly a plausible theory though.

If anyone's interested:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Good summary. Just to be clear, that it hit a snag due to an ancillary contract was Friedman's own theory and shouldn't be taken as gospel. It's certainly a plausible theory though.

If anyone's interested:
Good catch, thanks.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
If the Coyotes don't move him and at least get back a haul before the deadline, they have overplayed this because he is injury prone and his value is at a high right now. He is playing well after coming back and after the playoffs are over, the contenders are less likely to overpay. That said, if the offers are not good, then they have no other choice. I tend to think that there are equitable offers out there but they are tone deaf and think he is better than what he is and that's why teams are pivoting to guys like Karlsson.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Feels like the Coyotes are trying to drive up the price for Chychrun by using Twitter. Given Blake's MO, all of this talk comes from the Coyotes side, not from the Kings side, except for Blake informing Clarke that he's not getting traded. Very good chance this blows up in the Coyote's faces and drives Blake to retreat away from the talks.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Feels like the Coyotes are trying to drive up the price for Chychrun by using Twitter. Given Blake's MO, all of this talk comes from the Coyotes side, not from the Kings side, except for Blake informing Clarke that he's not getting traded. Very good chance this blows up in the Coyote's faces and drives Blake to retreat away from the talks.

If that happens, the Coyotes fans and others should be calling him Bill Armweak.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The Coyotes have one or two assets and that's it so it could be clouding their judgement. They are a bad franchise so it's not surprising. The Kings are not winning a Cup this year even if they get a goalie and Chychrun most likely so going all-in makes no sense. Pick up something on a tier underneath that won't wreck your framework if it's available or just move on and look for something before the draft.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I actually think ‘trade reasons’ is a curious way of phrasing things over him being left out of the lineup. It seems deliberately vague. It’d make more sense to me to say something like ‘possible trade in the works’. That is unless what has actually happened is something like him putting in a trade request or demanding they lower the asking price. Therefore they make it vague because any other statement covering it potentially hurts their trade position.

Obviously conjecture on my part but I just find the phrasing weird, unless it’s simply just poorly written which is entirely plausible.
They scratched him on a back to back after he skated 30 mins. Probably just didn't want to wear him down & didn't want teams thinking he was injured or playing bad. Also got everyone talking.

"Hit a snag" Cal's 10 team NTC?

We really need Nashville to drop off fast, but they had a good January. Johansson is overpaid, but would be a good 3C, King's have overpaid contracts they can send back. Ekholm would be another target. Also they have Saros, Askarov is coming soon & their current backup Lankinen has good numbers & is a UFA. Wouldn't mind nabbing him on a 2-3M contract to run with Pheonix. Would prefer Saros if available, but.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
If that happens, the Coyotes fans and others should be calling him Bill Armweak.
I think if you look at Blake's history as GM, I can't remember any major trade where it was all over the rumor mills ahead of time. The Fiala and Arvidsson trades just sort of happened. Sure there was speculation that they were on the trade block, but it wasn't like rampant rumors were flying revolving around the Kings in either case before it happened.

This whole Chychrun thing over the past couple days feels like a GM trying to force another GM's hand. Healthy scratching a guy and then putting it out on Twitter using the team PR is just blasting out a message that trade talks are peaking.

I think it sucks that Blake had to tell Clarke that he's not getting traded. That's the kind of thing that would piss me off if I were in Blake's shoes.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If the Coyotes don't move him and at least get back a haul before the deadline, they have overplayed this because he is injury prone and his value is at a high right now. He is playing well after coming back and after the playoffs are over, the contenders are less likely to overpay. That said, if the offers are not good, then they have no other choice. I tend to think that there are equitable offers out there but they are tone deaf and think he is better than what he is and that's why teams are pivoting to guys like Karlsson.
The longer they wait too, that cost controlled contract is soon going to switch from a positive to a negative. 1-2 years ago, that was a great thing having him signed for several years at under $5M. But he's getting closer now to that contract ending and is going to want (& get) a huge extension. It's still good, but time is ticking fast on them. Not to mention the likely chance he breaks again. But this is the Yotes so par for the course.

Reactions: funky

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Come on, bud. I know you're not gonna tell me Lysell or Lohrei > Clarke.

And the irony of you coming over here to say so...
Oh I have no clue. Prospects are a crap shoot. How can we tell? I’ve never seen any of them play. Plus it’s a whole new level at the nhl. Some times prospects work out and sometimes they don’t. Don’t worry I say the same things to my teams fan base.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
They scratched him on a back to back after he skated 30 mins. Probably just didn't want to wear him down & didn't want teams thinking he was injured or playing bad. Also got everyone talking.

"Hit a snag" Cal's 10 team NTC?

We really need Nashville to drop off fast, but they had a good January. Johansson is overpaid, but would be a good 3C, King's have overpaid contracts they can send back. Ekholm would be another target. Also they have Saros, Askarov is coming soon & their current backup Lankinen has good numbers & is a UFA. Wouldn't mind nabbing him on a 2-3M contract to run with Pheonix. Would prefer Saros if available, but.
The snag was just him spit balling, it wasn’t based on sources or any specifics. So we shouldn’t read into that.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think if you look at Blake's history as GM, I can't remember any major trade where it was all over the rumor mills ahead of time. The Fiala and Arvidsson trades just sort of happened. Sure there was speculation that they were on the trade block, but it wasn't like rampant rumors were flying revolving around the Kings in either case before it happened.

This whole Chychrun thing over the past couple days feels like a GM trying to force another GM's hand. Healthy scratching a guy and then putting it out on Twitter using the team PR is just blasting out a message that trade talks are peaking.

I think it sucks that Blake had to tell Clarke that he's not getting traded. That's the kind of thing that would piss me off if I were in Blake's shoes.

That's the kind of thing you're paid GM money to handle. It's part of the game. Part of the dance. Same if all of a sudden Clarke was traded. Visnovsky was dealt before the clause kicked in. Simmonds was best friends with Doughty, and there was a culture of growing up together and bonding that DL was cultivating, and he was out as soon as Richards was available to get.

Choices come down to money and/or winning.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I’m still hoping a deal can be made. Saw in another thread that Peterson has a 10 team no trade clause. I wonder if that could be the snag. I would think he can see the writing on the wall tho.
Who knows? I do think LA wants both Chychrun and Vejmelka.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I doubt a m-NTC would cause any issues. Peterson is riding a bus right now and knows he will be for the foreseeable future. I think any player would waive that clause just to get a shot at getting on an NHL roster. If he doesn't in the next year or so, his career is essentially over.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I doubt a m-NTC would cause any issues. Peterson is riding a bus right now and knows he will be for the foreseeable future. I think any player would waive that clause just to get a shot at getting on an NHL roster. If he doesn't in the next year or so, his career is essentially over.
He should maybe take classes in Russian?

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I’m still hoping a deal can be made. Saw in another thread that Peterson has a 10 team no trade clause. I wonder if that could be the snag. I would think he can see the writing on the wall tho.
Who knows? I do think LA wants both Chychrun and Vejmelka.
A ten team m-NTC on top of it all - its like they imagined him a Vezina candidate

Cyrilic spelling for CP (best he get used to signing this way) Кэл Петерсен

Reactions: mbar and kinghock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad