Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Clarke doesn’t have “NHL strength” as of yet. Pretty evident in his holding penalty in the 3rd I believe.

I’m torn whether to let him stay up. You can already tell he’ll be special….but the risk of injury is far greater at this time too…
First back-to-back with the big boys, I figured he have some mental lapses and lazy play. I am surprised he didn't have more.

Still need to move someone on RD eventually but having a platoon of 2-3 guys to switch in and out with through the beginning of the season will benefit him greatly.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA

It was such a short stint that it almost slipped my mind that Luc, Blake, and Ferraro were all teammates in LA for a short while. And Ray mentioned the ‘93 cup run. He’s married to Cammi Granato, Tony’s sister, who went to the final with Luc and Blake. I’m sure he’s heard all about that run.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Clarke should be getting sheltered third-pairing minutes right now. The problem is, so should Durzi and Walker. You're kind of seeing that anyway, with Doughty playing 30 minutes a game. Doughty, Anderson, and Roy are playing the bulk of the minutes here. Through four games a piece, Walker and Clarke have played fewer minutes combined than Mikey Anderson, who has played 33 minutes fewer than Doughty.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I have to wonder if we're going to see Moverare in a game soon. Especially if Edler is still out. If only to give management more time with Clarke before having to make that 9th game decision. Unless of course they have already decided that he's staying up regardless.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I like this idea... only thats going to be too many minutes for Clarke. Who would you put on the left side DD or BC?
Doughty actually already frequently plays on the left side in the offensive zone next to Anderson. I think Drew likes the swap so he can use his right shot at the left point for a better shooting angle.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Playing a game more a week adds up. I think you sit Clarke for a game. He has been going since rookie camp and last game saw a somewhat waning performance. While other D has been trending a bit better. The 9 game decision is still being evaluated after that game.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
It was such a short stint that it almost slipped my mind that Luc, Blake, and Ferraro were all teammates in LA for a short while. And Ray mentioned the ‘93 cup run. He’s married to Cammi Granato, Tony’s sister, who went to the final with Luc and Blake. I’m sure he’s heard all about that run.
Who remembers the Ray Ferraro closed door team meeting story?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Clarke doesn’t have “NHL strength” as of yet. Pretty evident in his holding penalty in the 3rd I believe.

I’m torn whether to let him stay up. You can already tell he’ll be special….but the risk of injury is far greater at this time too…

The 2nd one was all a sell job. He did have him wrapped up, but it wasn't until the player clamped down on his stick, then somehow fell to the ice dragging Clarke with him. Rookies will always get that called.

Reactions: yankeeking

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Hey people, Avs fan coming in peace.

Big Jordan Spence fan and just picked him up in probably the most intense fantasy league on the planet. Just curious as what you see his path the next few years? LA has an embarrassment of riches on D and in the prospect pool, and no really glaring weaknesses on the team (except a top LD), Blake has done an amazing job on this roster. Spence seems to have very little left to learn in the AHL, and has a lot of competition on the right side in LA. Do you see him as a long-term 3rd pairing guy behind Doughty/Clarke/Durzi? Does he get moved in a LD swap?

Just seems a shame a player of his caliber being limited because of a numbers game. I'd have to guess other teams would be calling, but as i mentioned there's not any real holes for LA to fill at the moment unless the perfect dman became available (Chychrun?). Anywho, just thought I'd look for your perspectives on this.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018

Big Jordan Spence fan and just picked him up in probably the most intense fantasy league on the planet. Just curious as what you see his path the next few years? LA has an embarrassment of riches on D and in the prospect pool, and no really glaring weaknesses on the team (except a top LD), Blake has done an amazing job on this roster. Spence seems to have very little left to learn in the AHL, and has a lot of competition on the right side in LA. Do you see him as a long-term 3rd pairing guy behind Doughty/Clarke/Durzi? Does he get moved in a LD swap?

Just seems a shame a player of his caliber being limited because of a numbers game. I'd have to guess other teams would be calling, but as i mentioned there's not any real holes for LA to fill at the moment unless the perfect dman became available (Chychrun?). Anywho, just thought I'd look for your perspectives on this.
Hey, thanks for stopping by! We’re all super high on Spence here and feel just as bummed out for him that he’s in the A just cuz of the RHD log jam. I think most of us would hope we roll with Doughty, Clark and Spence for the coming 5 years or so and make one big trade to land the LHD we’re missing. However, a lot will depend on the fit needs of the team we’d do a hypothetical deal with, so if young D is a need for them, Spence may be the best trade chip we could live without. I think Walker, Durzi and Roy could all be had in the right deal, and Walker could be dealt for a pick at this point just to make room.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I don’t — is it something you can unpack?
Sean Pronger joins the Kings in 1998-99 season
team is struggling
Rob Blake calls players only meeting
players asked to write down reason the team isn't winning and put it in a hat anonymously
Pronger says "I just got here, I don't have anything to say"
Blake says "Just write something simple, pucks in deep etc it's all anonymous anyway"

everybody does it

Blake takes out a piece of paper from the hat

"The reason this team sucks is Steve Duchesne. Signed, Ray Ferraro"

I may have the wording of that or some of the details wrong but Ray Ferraro signed his slip of paper calling out Steve Duchesne for playing poorly

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Playing a game more a week adds up. I think you sit Clarke for a game. He has been going since rookie camp and last game saw a somewhat waning performance. While other D has been trending a bit better. The 9 game decision is still being evaluated after that game.

Sit him why? Unless he starts getting victimized you keep playing him in sheltered minutes especially while he is helping.

At this point he has done nothing to lose his spot to a worse dman

Reactions: cyclones22

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005

Of course no one knows the future and this is just my take on Spence, but I got to watch him all of last year including his AHL games. I'm a huge fan of his and I would hope he has a long-term future with LA. He is certainly an NHL caliber player right now. The only time I found myself thinking he was over his head was during the playoffs vs Edmonton, but that's understandable.

I would assume most LA fans here would prefer him to be with the club instead of Walker, Edler and possibly even Roy.

3rd pairing yes, but I wouldn't rule out even the possibility of a 2nd pairing defenseman and PP2 QB in his prime. He's smart, mobile and sees the ice well. His only glaring drawback is his size. He can get overpowered on the boards and in front of the net.

Again just my opinion, but if LA was to move players out a young player in a trade, I'd rather it'd be Bjornfot or Durzi before Spence.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Sean Pronger joins the Kings in 1998-99 season
team is struggling
Rob Blake calls players only meeting
players asked to write down reason the team isn't winning and put it in a hat anonymously
Pronger says "I just got here, I don't have anything to say"
Blake says "Just write something simple, pucks in deep etc it's all anonymous anyway"

everybody does it

Blake takes out a piece of paper from the hat

"The reason this team sucks is Steve Duchesne. Signed, Ray Ferraro"

I may have the wording of that or some of the details wrong but Ray Ferraro signed his slip of paper calling out Steve Duchesne for playing poorly
Ray wasn't wrong. The second stint for Duchesne wasn't strong.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Damn KINGS always trying to take my monies!!!

1666278489980.png

They’re so magical 😯

bmr

Jan 23, 2013

Thanks for stopping by! All of us are super jealous of the juggernaut Avs team. So much talent there, especially Makar.

We are all very high on Spence. He has consistently exceeded expectations at every point in his development. I'm not sure there is any D that we have had in our system (that started in the AHL) who has had that much success right off the bat. We definitely have a logjam of D on the right side, which is a good problem to have seeing as how it is the most coveted spot in the league. I think it was pretty telling in that video with Blake, Dregs and Ferraro that the Kings are really trying to get as much information as they can on their young prospects before getting into a trade situation. I really feel like that is coming this year. They know Spence and Bjornfot could probably play on the team right now, but it's a numbers game with waiver exemptions. I don't think there is yet a consensus on who they would ultimately want involved in a trade, but most of us feel that Walker would be the odd man out.

The Kings are going to have some cap issues next year. I wouldn't expect Edler back. I'd love to sign a guy like Soucy as an UFA. That would still leave us short on the left hand side, unless Bjornfot assumes that role. If you still have Doughty, Clarke and Roy - where does Spence fit into this? Unless one of them is going to convert to the left side going forward.

Best wishes for this season and beyond.

Reactions: kinghock

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Thanks for stopping by! All of us are super jealous of the juggernaut Avs team. So much talent there, especially Makar.

We are all very high on Spence. He has consistently exceeded expectations at every point in his development. I'm not sure there is any D that we have had in our system (that started in the AHL) who has had that much success right off the bat. We definitely have a logjam of D on the right side, which is a good problem to have seeing as how it is the most coveted spot in the league. I think it was pretty telling in that video with Blake, Dregs and Ferraro that the Kings are really trying to get as much information as they can on their young prospects before getting into a trade situation. I really feel like that is coming this year. They know Spence and Bjornfot could probably play on the team right now, but it's a numbers game with waiver exemptions. I don't think there is yet a consensus on who they would ultimately want involved in a trade, but most of us feel that Walker would be the odd man out.

The Kings are going to have some cap issues next year. I wouldn't expect Edler back. I'd love to sign a guy like Soucy as an UFA. That would still leave us short on the left hand side, unless Bjornfot assumes that role. If you still have Doughty, Clarke and Roy - where does Spence fit into this? Unless one of them is going to convert to the left side going forward.

Best wishes for this season and beyond.
I don’t think the Kings will have cap issues. For starters, Quick’s $5.8 million is coming off the books, and $1.2 million is being freed up from Phaneuf’s and Richards’ buyouts. On top of that, the cap is speculated to rise by $4 million. That’s $10 million in open cap space with only Moore, Lemieux, Anderson, and Quick to re-sign. Even if we re-sign those guys and take up the full $10 million, we aren’t poised to lose anybody due to cap.

With regards to Spence, I think he’s very much in LA’s plan. All he’s done is gone above and beyond expectations every step of the way. There are a lot of guys in front of him right now, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see our right side consist of Doughty, Clarke, and Spence in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad