Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
If the Kings were younger I'd be more opposed to trading a 1st round pick for Demko. But most of the Kings players are either in their primes or on the back nine of their careers, so if the ultimate goal is to win a SC how much is a 15-22 pick really helping that?

The Kings had a #2 OA pick who is just now, in year 3 playing at an NHL caliber level. A #7 pick who is back in junior for year 2, and knowing the organization will spend a good chunk of time in the AHL next year, so that is a 3-4 year wait for contribution, a #5 pick who 4 years in is still an AHL/NHL tweener. What exactly is a reasonable expectation for NHL contribution from whoever the Kings may take in this years draft, which would be something like pick 18. 4 years? That takes you well beyond Kopitar, probably beyond Doughty, even some of the guys currently in their primes would be on the backside before this player contributes, much less becomes any kind of impact guy (and that is assuming its even a hit)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If the Kings were younger I'd be more opposed to trading a 1st round pick for Demko. But most of the Kings players are either in their primes or on the back nine of their careers, so if the ultimate goal is to win a SC how much is a 15-22 pick really helping that?

The Kings had a #2 OA pick who is just now, in year 3 playing at an NHL caliber level. A #7 pick who is back in junior for year 2, and knowing the organization will spend a good chunk of time in the AHL next year, so that is a 3-4 year wait for contribution, a #5 pick who 4 years in is still an AHL/NHL tweener. What exactly is a reasonable expectation for NHL contribution from whoever the Kings may take in this years draft, which would be something like pick 18. 4 years? That takes you well beyond Kopitar, probably beyond Doughty, even some of the guys currently in their primes would be on the backside before this player contributes, much less becomes any kind of impact guy (and that is assuming its even a hit)

Agreed, I just don't know if Demko is the one you spend that 1st on.....

Reactions: Fat Elvis

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It SHOULD be 'well duh' but it's still nice to hear, haha.

They do really need to be looking at Wallstedts/Wolfs, not Grieiss/Varlamov.

Same with LHD.

That's their shopping list:
Starting goalie well under 30
LHD

The LHD doesn't have to be a superstar, just a good consistent guy who can balance out our lines.
They have lots of assets , many won't every play here, so move them. It's gonna suck to lose a few but our needs right now is not in RHD or forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jungle Boy

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Whats the reason the Kings dont play til feb 11th.. when teams resume playing starting the 6th? just a schedule quirk or something else

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
You can't argue the results of Fiala, he has produced a lot of offense for this team, even playing a lot with certain guys not really known for their offense.

Bringing back Edler was a highly questionable and debated move on this forum at the time and it has certainly proven to be a poor decision. Edler played well for stretches of last season, but you had to assume there was going to at least a moderate drop off for a player of his age. You used a 1st round pick on a LHD three years before, he had proven he could play in the league. Sending him to the AHL to keep Edler was stupid not only for Bjornfot personally, but for the team itself.

The loyalty shown to Walker was honorable, but this is the NHL, you have to ice the best possible players, and he is not one of the Kings 6 best defenders. There would have been no shame in sending him down to the AHL (where he still would have earned his full salary) and showcasing him to other teams. Walker is good enough to play a 3rd pair role on a bad team, on a team trying to make the playoffs? No way. I saw Clarke play on Sunday, I don't know if being in the OHL at 19/20 is going to be great for his development and improving his chances of stepping in next year, he is just so much better than those he is competing against. Practicing in the NHL and playing a decent amount of games would have had him more ready for next season, but that wasn't possible because Blake refused to budge on Walker.

Iafallo was another guy that probably had some value this summer, even with his struggles last year, someone would have given the Kings something of value for him. Instead he is back and doing exactly what he did last year, the Ryan Smyth special, starting off well and then falling apart as the calendar turned. The last 8 games, zero goals, 1 assist, -9 and all of this while averaging over 18 minutes of ice time a game. I feel like this is the kind of guy that a better manager would have moved on from while his value was still decent to open up more icetime for younger players and maybe recoup some of the draft capital lost in the Fiala trade.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

This has been my issue the whole time with the direction we have been taking, it has been an attempt to toe both the line of a rebuild and a retool. Kopitar and Doughty are still high end players, but they are aging and the downfall can happen quickly. It might have been a good idea to bring along a bunch of young prospects with those two and Quick providing leadership in the dressing room to help them develop. Instead Blake went about acquiring Danault and Arrvy, while signing Moore and Iafallo to longer deals. Next season the Kings will have 24 million tied up in forwards 30 or older, not to mention Dewey making 11 million on the back end at 34. At this point, none of the prospects have shown any inkling of being able to be top end players. Byfield will probably be a solid player, but he still has yet to show any sort of offensive prowess to believe he can be the superstar driving the franchise. Kaliyev has a fantastic shot, but again is more likely to be a complementary player.

The Kings have a few seasons to capitalize while they still have a few high end players and a middle 6 that can still contribute. They clearly need a goalie and help on the blue line, I see no reason to continue hoarding prospects who will soon be exposed to waivers and picks who are likely 5 years away from contributing.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
Whats the reason the Kings dont play til feb 11th.. when teams resume playing starting the 6th? just a schedule quirk or something else
The Grammys are on the 5th and it takes a few days to pack it up and ready the ice. Usually they head out on the road later than this year's trip so that's why is seems like a long time between home games.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Kings and the Caps have played more games than all the other teams in the NHL. The schedule needs to be balanced out and the Kings/Caps could use the rest .

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
CA. refugee<E. TN.
dude on the main board brought a LD option I had never heard before.

Niko Mikkola, LHD. 1.9M, is UFA. Turns 27 this playoffs. 6'5" nasty, not the best puck mover, is ideal for a bottom pairing but you can pop him up from 5th minutes to 4th minutes (20 min/game) for a few games when injuries arise and he'll look good. Mainly this is for a gritty, PK element to your defense corps and he won't cost what the others might.

Price: we will be happy with a 3d as the main (or only) piece, but we'd be excited by a late 2d too! Blues have an absolute glut of bottom pairing lefties on the roster and in the pipeline.

just looked him up on youtube. definitely has some nasty in him.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Kings and the Caps have played more games than all the other teams in the NHL. The schedule needs to be balanced out and the Kings/Caps could use the rest .
I think that scheduling is a clear disadvantage..first to play such a crammed schedule with few days off. Then a long layoff. Neither of those 2 scenarios is helpful...The long layoff is good for healing nagging injuries but there is no substitute for real games - so for sure there will be rust coming back.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Kings seem pretty cap strapped. Gotta shed salary for any big move.

Honestly hoping they move Walker and Grundstrom types out.

Not expecting them to pay for Chychrun.

Quick recovered from hip surgery so Demko can too but I don’t know if Van has interest in moving him to LA. Not sure why they move on from him period as he seemed to be there dude but it makes me nervous if they are.

Kings are jammed at goal, only real move is trade Copley for a Reimer/Talbot which seems like a wash.
Trading Copley would be a terrible idea, unless his contract extension price becomes too much(which I don't think will happen). Reimer/Talbot would be a wasteful stopgap. Plus neither of those two have a good playoff track record. Korpisalo is the under the radar trade the Kings should make. Korpisalo can fit in right if Petersen can't recover his career or if Copley tails off(I expect Quick to retire and be out of the picture by seasons end).

Reactions: deaderhead28

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Niko Mikkola, LHD. 1.9M, is UFA. Turns 27 this playoffs. 6'5" nasty, not the best puck mover, is ideal for a bottom pairing but you can pop him up from 5th minutes to 4th minutes (20 min/game) for a few games when injuries arise and he'll look good. Mainly this is for a gritty, PK element to your defense corps and he won't cost what the others might.

Price: we will be happy with a 3d as the main (or only) piece, but we'd be excited by a late 2d too! Blues have an absolute glut of bottom pairing lefties on the roster and in the pipeline.

Funny enough literally just brought him up in the other thread haha

kingsholygrail

1-0-1 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Kings have played the most games already. So it's just the compressed schedule catching up. Kings have fewer games to close the season. The Kraken, I believe, actually play two or three before the Kings play their next.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Not for this season (most likely) but Anton Malmstrom as a NCAA FA could be a good move for LD:

NHL teams are also keeping an eye on Bowling Green junior Anton Malmstrom. The shutdown defenseman has great feet and comes in at 6-foot-4 and 203 pounds. Malmstrom's teammates on the Falcons include Jack Blake and Quinn Emerson – the sons of Los Angeles Kings GM Rob Blake and assistant GM Nelson Emerson, respectively. Needless to say, there's a lot of speculation about Malmstrom ending up in L.A.
https://thehockeynews.com/news/real-prospect-gossip-ncaa-free-agents-and-the-top-u16s

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

just looked him up on youtube. definitely has some nasty in him.
I saw him while looking at the potential Thomas Greiss trade but honestly had no clue he was as physical as he was until a quick search.

Makes sense.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

Kings are like the 7th or 8th youngest team in the nhl with Quick and Edler leaving in the off-season. But I get what you’re saying.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Kings are like the 7th or 8th youngest team in the nhl with Quick and Edler leaving in the off-season. But I get what you’re saying.
Same. It feels like a much older team when Blake's #1C is a Dave Taylor draft pick, his #1D is a 2008 DL draft pick and his 1A/B goalie heading into the season was another Dave Taylor draft pick. Top goal scorer is a 2014 DL draft pick and the 2C is turning 30 in three weeks.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Kings have played the most games already. So it's just the compressed schedule catching up. Kings have fewer games to close the season. The Kraken, I believe, actually play two or three before the Kings play their next.

I think it's around the 15th of Feb is when all the games will even up. 9 days off vs 10 for the Kings. What sucks is the Kings are playing a team who has already played two games since the break. It's not going to be pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad