Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He is supposed to struggle as he moves up the lineup. He should have been struggling there last year so he would have a better handle on it now.

Playing top talent in lower roles doesn't negate the time they will need to learn how to perform the jobs they were drafted to play, it just punts it down the road.
And this is the crux of the issue. There were plenty of valid arguments to try to play him in a higher role. And people seem to hand wave it or just not provide any convincing counterarguments:
- If he was sent to the fourth line to learn how to play defense or "check" effectively, why not play him alongside Kopitar or Danault. You know, Selke-caliber forwards who are also skilled at boardwork
- How often do players who are snipers in the AHL get the role of being a grinder in the NHL? When do grinders or 4th liners in the AHL get promoted to the NHL so they can play as a sniper? You just don't. IF they didn't think he was ready, why not just keep him in the AHL?
- If people were worried about "ruining" him, where was the harm in ramping up the challenges, expectations? If he couldn't handle the expectations, then it can be dialed back after a few games.
- As mentioned, the Kings had a lot of depth with forwards; why not make use of that depth by putting a skilled veteran further down in the lineup and have a sniper like Kaliyev getting some trigger duty with more ice time?

kingsholygrail

1-0-1 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Quick isn't going to retire, nor should he be expected to. I don't care how wealthy you are, $1M is $1M.

The question that needs to be at least considered is whether JQ would be willing to agree to a trade so that we could free up space for a better goaltender, either a 1A or 1B. I'd hate to see it, but from a purely rational standpoint, it needs to be asked. I suppose it comes down to whether or not a good goalie and improved D give the Kings a chance to make some noise in the playoffs or if we're destined to be bounced in the first round. If it's the former, why not give it a shot and bring in a Vejmelka or Raanta or Greiss. If not, then let him finish out the year here and decide for himself what the next move is.
Who the hell is going to want Quick right now?

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I doubt Seattle is looking to move Joey Daccord, But if they were I'd be all in on him. He's got starting goalie swagger in spades, and is a good puck mover. He played well for Ottawa but they cut ties with him in the last year of his ELC because he broke his ankle.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Edler is the perfect 7th D-man. Don't have to worry about screwing up development by having him watch games, and he can come in and play a game should someone be a late inactive. You know just hold down a spot till someone from Ontario gets called up next game.

I doubt Seattle is looking to move Joey Daccord, But if they were I'd be all in on him. He's got starting goalie swagger in spades, and is a good puck mover. He played well for Ottawa but they cut ties with him in the last year of his ELC because he broke his ankle.
don't think they would be interested in futures anyway. Maybe they need a veteran D

robitaillefan

Bababooey,Tatatoothy
Sep 7, 2005
BC, CANADA!
Rob Blake doest sit and wait until deadline day. Look at his trades in the past. All done days before the deadline , most weeks before.

Now to speculate. It’s to bad demko is hurt, he’s a solid goalie. There won’t be much time to see him play before the deadline as he’s projected to return about two weeks before.

It would take cap magic to make this work- salary goin other way , but I think it’s clear to put All our cards on Copley /jq is a bit of a stretch.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Edler is the perfect 7th D-man. Don't have to worry about screwing up development by having him watch games, and he can come in and play a game should someone be a late inactive. You know just hold down a spot till someone from Ontario gets called up next game.
The problem is they don't play him that way. He plays every night he's healthy except b2b. I'd have no issue if they were deploying him as you suggest.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The problem is they don't play him that way. He plays every night he's healthy except b2b. I'd have no issue if they were deploying him as you suggest.
1675195861206.png

Reactions: YP44

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
According to a thread in the trade board, Friedman is saying the Kings, along with Pittsburgh and Buffalo are the players for Demko and it could happen in the summer. I don’t see how Petersen doesn’t go the other way if this were true. FYI Demko is from San Diego. I can hear it now…”Save by the San Diego native“.

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
According to a thread in the trade board, Friedman is saying the Kings, along with Pittsburgh and Buffalo are the players for Demko and it could happen in the summer. I don’t see how Petersen doesn’t go the other way if this were true. FYI Demko is from San Diego. I can hear it now…”Save by the San Diego native“.
You are giving up more assets if that is the case. Most likely this years first or next. We have a surplus of RHD prospects they would be interested in. Grans and Durzi would be of interest to them. I would be interested, but it really depends on that hip of his. That is a scary injury to have for a goalie. He is signed for 3 more years at 5 million a year so about a year longer than Petersen. Get Demko for now and then trade for Portillo as the goalie of the future.

It is an offseason move for sure. I think if we make any goalie trades in season, its for an expiring contract, like Talbot.

Demko - also played for the Junior Kings

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I read it too. I am mixed here

1) Friedman has been the most reliable insuider
2) The media is more full of it than ever , inventing rumors to get clicks

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
You are giving up more assets if that is the case. Most likely this years first or next. We have a surplus of RHD prospects they would be interested in. Grans and Durzi would be of interest to them. I would be interested, but it really depends on that hip of his. That is a scary injury to have for a goalie. He is signed for 3 more years at 5 million a year so about a year longer than Petersen. Get Demko for now and then trade for Portillo as the goalie of the future.

It is an offseason move for sure. I think if we make any goalie trades in season, its for an expiring contract, like Talbot.

Demko - also played for the Junior Kings
That's the right move.

Reactions: Noonan61

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I look at how hips wrecked DiPietro, Demko is scary. I can't see Blake taking on that risk at high value.

Kings' luck would be Petersen finds his form in VAN and he beats us in a playoff series while Demko retires.
It is often forgotten because he signed with the Kings as an older prospect, but Cal is going to be 29 years old this year, the odds of a return to a player better than he was (he was never a playoff winning goaltender) are very slim.

He will be the multi-millionaire riding busses the next 2 years.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I look at how hips wrecked DiPietro, Demko is scary. I can't see Blake taking on that risk at high value.

Kings' luck would be Petersen finds his form in VAN and he beats us in a playoff series while Demko retires.

I don’t think Petersen is worse than Quick and he has a decent chance of bouncing back. It’s just that we couldn’t waive a legend like Quick in the last year of his contract and something had to change. I don’t think we can rely on him to be anything more than a backup for us over the next two years but this contract isn’t an absolute killer.

In retrospect though, signing Cal to his contract and accepting over $10 million in cap to goalies this year was a really dumb idea.

Reactions: The Pale King

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It is often forgotten because he signed with the Kings as an older prospect, but Cal is going to be 29 years old this year, the odds of a return to a player better than he was (he was never a playoff winning goaltender) are very slim.

He will be the multi-millionaire riding busses the next 2 years.

What I said was far less about Petersen and far, far more about the risk of Demko compounding errors.

Trying to 'solve' the goaltending in one move by gambling on a bounceback on a guy with injury concerns after completely crippling the entire pipeline in just a few short years stands ready to blow up in their face even worse imo.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
What I said was far less about Petersen and far, far more about the risk of Demko compounding errors.
Trying to 'solve' the goaltending in one move by gambling on a bounceback on a guy with injury concerns after completely crippling the entire pipeline in just a few short years stands ready to blow up in their face even worse imo.
Everyone knows goaltending is a big issue, but it seems there is objection to any move to try and address it. And it's not like this is some temporary problem, there is no Knight or Askarov in the system, there is no one even close. The Kings have been watching Portillo and probably offer the easiest path to the NHL, but he is not some kind of savior, he is a long-term project that could be molded into a decent starter.

The Kings aren't making any noise with Copley, he's been a nice story but lets be real here he is a 31 year old NHL/AHL tweener.

So what is the solution that makes more sense than maybe kicking the tires on Demko?

The UFA route offers very little, no one who will be able to be a #1 goalie capable of playing even 50 games. Can you really expect to win a SC with an Andersen/Copley or Varlamov/Peterson duo? This also punts this season away. We aren't going to get a ton more kicks at it with 11 and 8's age.

Try Cal again next season? What happens if he can't find previous form (it's been a couple of years since he was remotely good)

Trade for a more sure thing? Who? No certainty anyone good is available and if they are, the return is going to be significant and depending on the teams situation they may not be able to take on Cal's horrific contract.

Demko certainly presents his own question marks, but he was really solid last year behind a crappy defense, is still young enough where he can help in the current and assuming his health holds is an answer for the life of his contract, and by that time you hopefully have someone developed. If Vancouver is going to go into a rebuild they also are likely in a position to absorb the Peterson contract, which won't be the case with a lot of teams.

Is it a gamble? Sure, but the Kings are in a position now where they almost have to gamble because the goaltending is in such a disastrous state.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Everyone knows goaltending is a big issue, but it seems there is objection to any move to try and address it. And it's not like this is some temporary problem, there is no Knight or Askarov in the system, there is no one even close. The Kings have been watching Portillo and probably offer the easiest path to the NHL, but he is not some kind of savior, he is a long-term project that could be molded into a decent starter.

The Kings aren't making any noise with Copley, he's been a nice story but lets be real here he is a 31 year old NHL/AHL tweener.

So what is the solution that makes more sense than maybe kicking the tires on Demko?

The UFA route offers very little, no one who will be able to be a #1 goalie capable of playing even 50 games. Can you really expect to win a SC with an Andersen/Copley or Varlamov/Peterson duo? This also punts this season away. We aren't going to get a ton more kicks at it with 11 and 8's age.

Try Cal again next season? What happens if he can't find previous form (it's been a couple of years since he was remotely good)

Trade for a more sure thing? Who? No certainty anyone good is available and if they are, the return is going to be significant and depending on the teams situation they may not be able to take on Cal's horrific contract.

Demko certainly presents his own question marks, but he was really solid last year behind a crappy defense, is still young enough where he can help in the current and assuming his health holds is an answer for the life of his contract, and by that time you hopefully have someone developed. If Vancouver is going to go into a rebuild they also are likely in a position to absorb the Peterson contract, which won't be the case with a lot of teams.

Is it a gamble? Sure, but the Kings are in a position now where they almost have to gamble because the goaltending is in such a disastrous state.
What would be a reasonable package? Folks on the trade board suggested something like Durzi, Petersen, and a 1st.

If we do that this year, what do we do with Quick?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
What would be a reasonable package? Folks on the trade board suggested something like Durzi, Petersen, and a 1st.

If we do that this year, what do we do with Quick?

Fair offer, and this coming from someone who really likes Durzi a lot, but it's a clear position of strength, one that is even stronger next season when Clarke is back. Getting out from the Cal contract is probably worth a 1st or 2nd just on its own. Although if I am the Kings I am doing what the NYI did and making sure the first is protected, in case we were to miss and have some insane lottery luck.

My guess is that the Kings could flip Copley for a late round pick and let Quick finish his career backing up this season, which is what he is going to do whether there is a trade or not. I'd be shocked to see Quick traded under any circumstance, it would be a bad look for the organization, even if he is a replacement caliber player at this point.

You just can't stand pat with the current goaltending situation. The Kings have to many players in the primes of their career (or beyond) to not address the issue. Not only this season, but next season is in danger too.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I'm not disagreeing with your thought process or idea. This pretty much reads like my thoughts around Demko. Re: a name--if I sat down and looked I'm sure I could come up with something....

all I'm really saying is there are 30 others teams and their pipelines...can we not bet the house on a goalie with one(!) season over 35 games coming off his worst performance yet and alleged degenerative hip issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad