Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
wasn't he shifted to center mid game a couple games before he got injured?
I forget who it was against but I remember thinking, f*** why not.
I think it was like one game if it not mistaken and he was good.. matter of fact, it might have been a few shifts…
He’s not effect at center for whatever reason but has been great at wing so no need to dick him around

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think it was like one game if it not mistaken and he was good.. matter of fact, it might have been a few shifts…
He’s not effect at center for whatever reason but has been great at wing so no need to dick him around
for sure, see it more as if needed due to injury

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I was serious about trying Moore as our 3C, he has all the tools you want from that position/role and it also frees up a top 6 role for Kaliyev
Kaliyev hasnt looked great in the top 6 when he was with Danault. With Kopi, sure, but I wouldnt want to mess with that line right now. I honestly dont care where Arty plays as long as he’s out there on the PP. and when we need goals later in games.

I also think Moore is a bit undersized to play down the middle. He’s not a containment guy.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kaliyev hasnt looked great in the top 6 when he was with Danault. With Kopi, sure, but I wouldnt want to mess with that line right now. I honestly dont care where Arty plays as long as he’s out there on the PP. and when we need goals later in games.

I also think Moore is a bit undersized to play down the middle. He’s not a containment guy.
I think when everyone is healthy QB goes back to #3C. I struggle because I want to see Iafallo-QB-Vialrdi back together, and imagine Moore goes back with Danult and Arvidson. So that would leave Fiala with Kempe and Kopitar (which has not worked), and Kaliyev back on the 4th line

Kempe-Kopitar-Fiala
Moore-Danault-Arvidson
Iafallo-QB-Vialrdi
XXX-Lizotte-Kaliyev

XXX could = a few different guys

Reactions: Fishhead

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
OI think when everyone is healthy QB goes back to #3C. I struggle because I want to see Iafallo-QB-Vialrdi back together, and imagine Moore goes back with Danult and Arvidson. So that would leave Fiala with Kempe and Kopitar (which has not worked), and Kaliyev back on the 4th line

Kempe-Kopitar-Fiala
Moore-Danault-Arvidson
Iafallo-QB-Vialrdi
XXX-Lizotte-Kaliyev

Byfield--Kopitar--Kempe
Arvidsson--Danault--Vilardi
Fiala--Moore--Kaliyev
Iafallo--Lizotte--JAD

One "kid" per line. A capable center and and experienced winger. Depth, depth and more depth.

Reactions: mysterman2

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Trevor Moore isn't an NHL center, let alone a capable one. His production would go in the crapper and the team might as well just hand the opposition the puck on faceoffs.

You would be better off moving Vilardi back to 3C, which is also a bad idea.
I think when everyone is healthy QB goes back to #3C. I struggle because I want to see Iafallo-QB-Vialrdi back together, and imagine Moore goes back with Danult and Arvidson. So that would leave Fiala with Kempe and Kopitar (which has not worked), and Kaliyev back on the 4th line

Kempe-Kopitar-Fiala
Moore-Danault-Arvidson
Iafallo-QB-Vialrdi
XXX-Lizotte-Kaliyev

I would probably swap Fiala and Iafallo. We know AI has chemistry with Kopitar and having Fiala on his line takes the pressure off QB.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Why mess with the thing Kopi and QB are establishing? They are BOTH playing their best hockey this year and in QB's case, forever. Nothing should actually stop them, at this point and only get better. When was the last time you saw Kopitar get setup with so many scoring opportunities and actually shooting the puck a ton?
Byfield has elevated his game, more physical, more confident, making more plays.
If he were to go to 3C now, he would begin thinking defense first again and probably be doing less, offensively...and getting less TOI. And you would also see Kopitar's game go back down, some.

Kempe works well on the line too...he had his bext game in weeks, in Sunrise. (the obscure town east of Ft Lauderdale, where Panthers play)

Fix 3C some other way...Lizotte is doing okay, but not the longterm answer. The Kings need Vilardi healthy and back on that line.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Why mess with the thing Kopi and QB are establishing? They are BOTH playing their best hockey this year and in QB's case, forever. Nothing should actually stop them, at this point and only get better. When was the last time you saw Kopitar get setup with so many scoring opportunities and actually shooting the puck a ton?
Byfield has elevated his game, more physical, more confident, making more plays.
If he were to go to 3C now, he would begin thinking defense first again and probably be doing less, offensively...and getting less TOI. And you would also see Kopitar's game go back down, some.

Kempe works well on the line too...he had his bext game in weeks, in Sunrise. (the obscure town east of Ft Lauderdale, where Panthers play)

Fix 3C some other way...Lizotte is doing okay, but not the longterm answer. The Kings need Vilardi healthy and back on that line.
Down here visiting and got to go to the game last night.
Kempe was clearly the best player on the ice. For both teams. Panther fans thought the same.
That line is really a handful for other teams with their size and puck protection. Takes two guys to separate them from the puck sometimes and leaves someone open with less coverage. They are just getting going together also!
On the flip side Durzi was real shaky all game. He would probably be better off on the right side.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I agree. I actually think they should give Turcotte a run and see what he can do, as they know what they have in everyone else. Like Byfield, Vilardi has played his best hockey at wing so he should at least start back there when he comes back. I’d keep both at wing now until the summer unless injuries force a different set up.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

I agree. I actually think they should give Turcotte a run and see what he can do, as they know what they have in everyone else. Like Byfield, Vilardi has played his best hockey at wing so he should at least start back there when he comes back. I’d keep both at wing now until the summer unless injuries force a different set up.
Spot on but both GV and QB are potential top 3 C's in the future.
Clearly illustrates acquiring solid centers while drafting Centers is a great strategy.
And adapting them to winger was rough at first but is really paid off with GV, QB, to lesser extent RS and now starting it with AT.
Blake deserves credit now for those present and potential future dividend.
To beat a dead horse, I want to see Fiala with Danault and Arv before the injured forwards return.
It does not seem to be happening and TMac probably does not want to break up the defensive continuity of the line.
Fiala can be a defensive liability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Spot on but both GV and QB are potential top 3 C's in the future.
Clearly illustrates acquiring solid centers while drafting Centers is a great strategy.
And adapting them to winger was rough at first but is really paid off with GV, QB, to lesser extent RS and now starting it with AC.
Blake deserves credit now for those present and potential future dividend.
To beat a dead horse, I want to see Fiala with Danault and Arv before the injured forwards return.
It does not seem to be happening and TMac probably does not want to break up the defensive continuity of the line.
Fiala can be a defensive liability.
I think long term QB definitely moves to the middle, that’s a complete no brainer but the results alongside Kopitar for the whole line means he should be there for an extended stay. Vilardi though I think is best at wing as his primary position due to his speed and defensive game. That’s doesn’t mean he cant play at Center on occasion due to injury or perhaps in the middle on one of the PP units. The options are intriguing though and it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I think long term QB definitely moves to the middle, that’s a complete no brainer but the results alongside Kopitar for the whole line means he should be there for an extended stay. Vilardi though I think is best at wing as his primary position due to his speed and defensive game. That’s doesn’t mean he cant play at Center on occasion due to injury or perhaps in the middle on one of the PP units. The options are intriguing though and it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.
More options the better, is it better to be short on wingers or centre icemen?
Well planned by Mgmt.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

I would probe for a trade here.
In case that don't work, whoever in the Kings org. knows this guy's agent needs to call and just "say hi and I will talk to you this summer."

Last edited:

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
With STL likely not making the playoffs maybe we take a shot at UFA Thomas Greiss.

Rocking a .909 save percentage and career .912

Copley + 5th would probably get it done.

Reactions: YP44

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
With STL likely not making the playoffs maybe we take a shot at UFA Thomas Greiss.

Rocking a .909 save percentage and career .912

Copley + 5th would probably get it done.
An interesting option but they'd be crazy to make that gamble of a trade. Trading Copley would be risking the season, he's the only guy winning. In my opinion the only two options are to either stand pat or to replace Quick. I'm hoping for the latter.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
An interesting option but they'd be crazy to make that gamble of a trade. Trading Copley would be risking the season, he's the only guy winning. In my opinion the only two options are to either stand pat or to replace Quick. I'm hoping for the latter.
Agreed, hideous and risky proposal. Gotta extend Copper if his form holds thru the season and try to acquire a starter in the off season.
Greiss may be worth a shot for other pieces.
Quick has an invisible NMC.
No one would want him at this point, every start it just makes him look worse.
Blake wouldn't or almost couldn't trade Quick on the other hand.

Lias is on fire and needs to be called up and inserted against Canes, before the all star break and Moore and Kali return.
A final look, could increase value or earn a spot.
what the heck!
11 points last nine games. 8 goals.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
I hate to say it, but JQ probably needs to consider retiring. He's only owed $1 mm on his contract, and he's clearly done. That would open up a roster spot for an upgrade although I'm not sure how much cap space would open up.

Reactions: mysterman2

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I hate to say it, but JQ probably needs to consider retiring. He's only owed $1 mm on his contract, and he's clearly done. That would open up a roster spot for an upgrade although I'm not sure how much cap space would open up.
If I'm rooting for anyone to retire mid season it's Edler. At least Quick only plays every once in a while. Edler's a tire fire every night that isn't a back to back, and he's c***b***ck Bjornfot.

kingsholygrail

1-0-1 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
He's not giving up a million dollars to retire mid-season. lol Get real.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

bland

Jul 1, 2004

He is supposed to struggle as he moves up the lineup. He should have been struggling there last year so he would have a better handle on it now.

Playing top talent in lower roles doesn't negate the time they will need to learn how to perform the jobs they were drafted to play, it just punts it down the road.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Quick isn't going to retire, nor should he be expected to. I don't care how wealthy you are, $1M is $1M.

The question that needs to be at least considered is whether JQ would be willing to agree to a trade so that we could free up space for a better goaltender, either a 1A or 1B. I'd hate to see it, but from a purely rational standpoint, it needs to be asked. I suppose it comes down to whether or not a good goalie and improved D give the Kings a chance to make some noise in the playoffs or if we're destined to be bounced in the first round. If it's the former, why not give it a shot and bring in a Vejmelka or Raanta or Greiss. If not, then let him finish out the year here and decide for himself what the next move is.

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Or Quick could go on LTIRetired. That groin/hip/knee injury is back and we don’t know if he will be able to play again this season or ever again. Get his cap space to play with, which could be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad