Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Anyone who is bitching about Kopitar needs to stop.

74 points in 82 games, good enough for 22nd amongst centers. Even if he drops to 50 pts next season, he would still be in the top 60 centers for points. All of this while winning 55.9% of his faceoffs with the fifth most faceoffs taken in the league.

The problem isn't that he needs to go away, the problem is that someone needs to come in who can move him down the depth chart OR at least someone who looks like they will be able to move him down the depth chart. Neither of those things have happened and time is starting to tick down on when it is needed.

At some point the conversation with Kopitar will be had about what his plans are after next season. If he decides he wants to stay on a reasonable/hometown discount contract, he stays. If he wants to stay but will want full market price, he will probably be traded. If he wants to move on and keep playing, he will be traded. Think about what LA could get at the deadline for Kopitar with retaining salary.

Having depth down the center of ????/Kopitar/Danault/???? would not be a terrible thing. And if you had to choose one of Kopitar/Danault in 2/3 year's time, you trade one of them.

Edit: Fire todd

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
So how do they become those players if you don't play them?

It would be the exact same situation as the last two seasons.

They definitely need to play and they definitely need bigger roles, but I don't see where they have earned anything to warrant those placements.

Vilardi had similar struggles in the beginning, a lot of injuries too, but he is twice the player either of those other guys are. On that particular lineup, wasn't he on the 3rd line?

I own a small business, and I hire someone. Unless they have a proven track record, I don't put them in a high level position. They have to show me they can handle level 4, than 3, than 2 and then to the top before they get paid and certainly before I know they can be totally trusted to handle big roles.

Its a matter of opinion on how Kaliyev gets there, but if I am banking $83,000,000 on a payroll and winning a cup, I don't bank on Kaliyez as 1LW.

EDIT- My lines had Vilardi at 3C and Arvi playing to lines. I clearly suck at this.

Last edited:

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego

74 points in 82 games, good enough for 22nd amongst centers. Even if he drops to 50 pts next season, he would still be in the top 60 centers for points. All of this while winning 55.9% of his faceoffs with the fifth most faceoffs taken in the league.

The problem isn't that he needs to go away, the problem is that someone needs to come in who can move him down the depth chart OR at least someone who looks like they will be able to move him down the depth chart. Neither of those things have happened and time is starting to tick down on when it is needed.

At some point the conversation with Kopitar will be had about what his plans are after next season. If he decides he wants to stay on a reasonable/hometown discount contract, he stays. If he wants to stay but will want full market price, he will probably be traded. If he wants to move on and keep playing, he will be traded. Think about what LA could get at the deadline for Kopitar with retaining salary.

Having depth down the center of ????/Kopitar/Danault/???? would not be a terrible thing. And if you had to choose one of Kopitar/Danault in 2/3 year's time, you trade one of them.

Leafs get bounced by Tampa. Matthews has had enough of Toronto. Kings sign Auston so he can retire on the beach where no one will care if the Kings get bounced by Edmonton :laugh:

The problem is Doughty. His contract is turning into a Quick situation.

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Fantastic, yet another year of bottom third top line production, exhaustion when it matters, and kids stuck in minor roles due to his presence.

Oh, and this is year 7 of a deal that has seen what, 6 playoffs games won and no series victories, all for the low, low price of $10 million per year.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Leafs get bounced by Tampa. Matthews has had enough of Toronto. Kings sign Auston so he can retire in the beach where no one will care if the Kings get bounced by Edmonton :laugh:

The problem is Doughty. His contract is turning into a Quick situation.

If Auston realizes he has made his money, signs a team friendly deal because if he knows if we wants to win he has to be surrounded by higher level talent. However, if he wants the beach, and is signing for less, he will want to pay less taxes, so he signs in Florida.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Fantastic, yet another year of bottom third top line production, exhaustion when it matters, and kids stuck in minor roles due to his presence.

Oh, and this is year 7 of a deal that has seen what, 6 playoffs games won and no series victories, all for the low, low price of $10 million per year.

Absolutely idiotic take on Kopitar's career. Do you live in the east coast?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They definitely need to play and they definitely need bigger roles, but I don't see where they have earned anything to warrant those placements.

Vilardi had similar struggles in the beginning, a lot of injuries too, but he is twice the player either of those other guys are. On that particular lineup, wasn't he on the 3rd line?

I own a small business, and I hire someone. Unless they have a proven track record, I don't put them in a high level position. They have to show me they can handle level 4, than 3, than 2 and then to the top before they get paid and certainly before I know they can be totally trusted to handle big roles.

Its a matter of opinion on how Kaliyev gets there, but if I am banking $83,000,000 on a payroll and winning a cup, I don't bank on Kaliyez as 1LW.

EDIT- My lines had Vilardi at 3C and Arvi playing to lines. I clearly suck at this.

Sure, but you don't hire a manager and put them in receiving and wonder why your employees aren't working out.

maybe they don't have it, but the only way to find out is play them. The reason we're in this situation now is because they started this slip n slide bullshit "kids arent ready" even last year.

Next year it'll be the same for Spence and Clarke et. al.

Reactions: SmytheKing

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
For small business, sure you need certainty. A big hiring mistake could prove fatal.

This is NOT a small business. I work for a very, very large multi-billion dollar business. We have the opposite viewpoint. We identify highly talented people (especially young ones) and we usually promote them into a position that they haven't probably earned yet. But we think they will grow into it and we'll be better for it in the long-term. We ultimately solidify this great employee for the company as a LT asset and gain their loyalty and avoid having to hire outside (which is the unknown -- usually in a bad way). We trust our judgement, development and eye for talented employees. Kind of like how a big-time professional hockey team should be run imho.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
For small business, sure you need certainty. A big hiring mistake could prove fatal.

This is NOT a small business. I work for a very, very large multi-billion dollar business. We have the opposite viewpoint. We identify highly talented people (especially young ones) and we usually promote them into a position that they haven't probably earned yet. But we think they will grow into it and we'll be better for it in the long-term. We ultimately solidify this great employee for the company as a LT asset and gain their loyalty and avoid having to hire outside (which is the unknown -- usually in a bad way). We trust our judgement, development and eye for talented employees. Kind of like how a big-time professional hockey team should be run imho.
I had no idea Shrute beets took off..good to hear

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Absolutely idiotic take on Kopitar's career. Do you live in the east coast?
Nope. Are you disputing that his offensive production is in the bottom third of first line centers? That's factually correct.

Are you disputing that the players drafted by the Kings have been relegated to supporting roles behind veteran acquisitions in order to chase the playoffs instead of concentrating on their development? Yeah, good luck there.

Are you disputing that the Kings haven't won a series or more than 6 playoff games in the first seven years of his extension? You are gonna lose that one too.

Kopitar has received $70 million dollars from the Kings while not winning a single playoff series.

I am the one that told every single one of you on this and other boards that the Kings would see ZERO success during the duration of Kopitar's new contract, laid out the exact reasons why, and hasn't changed a single iota of that explanation since 2015.

The correct move was always to thank Anze for his accomplishments and trade him instead of offering an extension. There was never going to be a positive outcome with that contract, and I have been proven correct in that analysis time and again.

So stick your head wherever it will fit, ignore the problems and call me whatever names you want, you're sucking hind teet on this one.

Reactions: Bandit

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Nope. Are you disputing that his offensive production is in the bottom third of first line centers? That's factually correct.

Are you disputing that the players drafted by the Kings have been relegated to supporting roles behind veteran acquisitions in order to chase the playoffs instead of concentrating on their development? Yeah, good luck there.

Are you disputing that the Kings haven't won a series or more than 6 playoff games in the first seven years of his extension? You are gonna lose that one too.

Kopitar has received $70 million dollars from the Kings while not winning a single playoff series.

I am the one that told every single one of you on this and other boards that the Kings would see ZERO success during the duration of Kopitar's new contract, laid out the exact reasons why, and hasn't changed a single iota of that explanation since 2015.

The correct move was always to thank Anze for his accomplishments and trade him instead of offering an extension. There was never going to be a positive outcome with that contract, and I have been proven correct in that analysis time and again.

So stick your head wherever it will fit, ignore the problems and call me whatever names you want, you're sucking hind teet on this one.
I doubt there's much value in extending Kopitar's current contract. But his performance on the Kings on his current contract has been acceptable. And to think otherwise is like living in the East coast. I'm sure your heart will vote for Bergeron for the Selke as well.

You gonna lay the Kings playoff performance the past 7 years on Kopitar? Hot takes bro.

Last edited:

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
In defense of the coaching, if you have no options, you tend to go with the best option you have which also may be the only option you have.

Ownership in 2017 put all their chips on the Blake/Luc we can still compete line and right now it looks like a bad bet.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I have a bigger issue with Blake than TM.

Doughty straight up said in last years closing press conference they need more size on D; that everyone is small.

What does Rob Blake do? Re-signs Alex Edler? LOL.

The Mayor asks him about getting bullied by the Oilers and the Reign - Blake says it something they looked at and will address.

What does Rob Blake do? Re-sign Lemieux to a one year deal. LOL.

Thank god Selley, the GM of the Reign, re-signs Jacob Doty and then when we gets hurt signs Tyrel Gouldbourne. The Reign are tough with Nate Thompson, Doty, TO, and Helenius. Krygier is there also and Gaunce has go if he has to.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I have a bigger issue with Blake than TM.

Doughty straight up said in last years closing press conference they need more size on D; that everyone is small.

What does Rob Blake do? Re-signs Alex Edler? LOL.

The Mayor asks him about getting bullied by the Oilers and the Reign - Blake says it something they looked at and will address.

What does Rob Blake do? Re-sign Lemieux to a one year deal. LOL.

Thank god Selley, the GM of the Reign, re-signs Jacob Doty and then when we gets hurt signs Tyrel Gouldbourne. The Reign are tough with Nate Thompson, Doty, TO, and Helenius. Krygier is there also and Gaunce has go if he has to.

The Kings problems are far bigger than a lack of toughness. In fact the Oilers turned this series around when they stopped trying to “bully” the Kings and decided to let their skill advantage take over.

The teams you wanted the Kings to emulate, specifically Minnesota and Winnipeg are also on the ropes and about to be eliminated as well, so much for toughness making a big difference in W/L’s. What exactly have Reeves and Foligno done to help their team? In fact it can be argued that no player in these playoffs has contributed more to his teams losing than Foligno. It sure doesn’t seem like Dallas is spooked, or playing scared as they continue to win games by putting power-play goals into the Wilds net because bums like Marcus Foligno are playing stupid in the name of “toughness”

Have you watched one second of this Kings series? Do you not see the Oilers PP is clicking at a rate greater than 50%? And your solution is to add players like Foligno? That is pure insanity.

And the Reign were awful this year and got swept out of the playoffs too. But I guess that’s ok because guys like Tyrel Gouldbourne, Jake Doty and Nate Thompson provided entertainment for the Roman Coliseum.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings problems are far bigger than a lack of toughness. In fact the Oilers turned this series around when they stopped trying to “bully” the Kings and decided to let their skill advantage take over.

The teams you wanted the Kings to emulate, specifically Minnesota and Winnipeg are also on the ropes and about to be eliminated as well, so much for toughness making a big difference in W/L’s. What exactly have Reeves and Foligno done to help their team? In fact it can be argued that no player in these playoffs has contributed more to his teams losing than Foligno. It sure doesn’t seem like Dallas is spooked, or playing scared as they continue to win games by putting power-play goals into the Wilds net because bums like Marcus Foligno are playing stupid in the name of “toughness”

Have you watched one second of this Kings series? Do you not see the Oilers PP is clicking at a rate greater than 50%? And your solution is to add players like Foligno? That is pure insanity.

And the Reign were awful this year and got swept out of the playoffs too. But I guess that’s ok because guys like Tyrel Gouldbourne, Jake Doty and Nate Thompson provided entertainment for the Roman Coliseum.
Well, that ruined by day.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Sure, but you don't hire a manager and put them in receiving and wonder why your employees aren't working out.

maybe they don't have it, but the only way to find out is play them. The reason we're in this situation now is because they started this slip n slide bullshit "kids arent ready" even last year.

Next year it'll be the same for Spence and Clarke et. al.

Your son turns 16. Great kid, gonna be a star someday.....but you don't give them the keys to the Lambo until he proves he can drive the pinto without being a dipshit.

I'm a big fan of Arty. The dude looks like he is on the spectrum but has a helluva shot. He was clipping off points at half a point a game this season. However, outside of his shot, he has a lot of holes in his game. It was exposed in the much more physical, harsher playoff games and I dont believe that giving him top line duties is going to make him a better player at this point other than from the standpoint that the other players make him better, but he wont be making his linemates better.

Im not a fan of Todd Mc either. I dont believe he has handled the kids properly as you. But I am honestly moving on from Kaliyev the way the 1st round did in 2019.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don’t understand how anyone can look at the way Blake and Todd have handled their prospects and still say “the kids just aren’t ready” with a straight face.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Your son turns 16. Great kid, gonna be a star someday.....but you don't give them the keys to the Lambo until he proves he can drive the pinto without being a dipshit.

I'm a big fan of Arty. The dude looks like he is on the spectrum but has a helluva shot. He was clipping off points at half a point a game this season. However, outside of his shot, he has a lot of holes in his game. It was exposed in the much more physical, harsher playoff games and I dont believe that giving him top line duties is going to make him a better player at this point other than from the standpoint that the other players make him better, but he wont be making his linemates better.

Im not a fan of Todd Mc either. I dont believe he has handled the kids properly as you. But I am honestly moving on from Kaliyev the way the 1st round did in 2019.

To be clear I'm not saying slap him up there right now

But the dude has never gotten even a full game in the top six...you're never going to see what you've got with him without trying. Otherwise 'he's not ready' is just a self-fulfilling prophecy this org runs themselves into with everyone under age 23. Kaliyev is just symbolic, this isn't about him in particular.

It's going to be interesting watching how they handle these self-depreciated assets now that they're running into waiver eligibility.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Well, that ruined by day.
I’m not against adding some toughness that can play. I’d rather have that in the lineup than guys like MacEwen, JAD, Turcotte who we had to use this year. But they have to address much bigger holes before that. Adding toughness that can contribute is a final stage thing.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
To be clear I'm not saying slap him up there right now

But the dude has never gotten even a full game in the top six...you're never going to see what you've got with him without trying. Otherwise 'he's not ready' is just a self-fulfilling prophecy this org runs themselves into with everyone under age 23. Kaliyev is just symbolic, this isn't about him in particular.

It's going to be interesting watching how they handle these self-depreciated assets now that they're running into waiver eligibility.

I believe he was up on the top unit a bunch of games when someone got hurt as well as the 2nd unit too. He's had plenty of times starting at 3rd line wing as well. He's just not a smart player, you can see it at times that it's just not there. Simple stuff like at the blueline, not getting the puck in deep and get the forcheck going. He tries to make an extra move, or knocked off the puck super easily and gets picked off and its an outnumbered attack. I want him to succeed and use his shot more, but it just not there at times, like everything else. He's a good player, but can't seem to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad