Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Periodic reminder that Phaneuf comes off the books next year (just over $1 million), and the Richards termination fee drops about $200k.
And both those guys played better than half our team in the second period of last game.

You have your rights and lefts mixed up ;)
Hold your phone up to a mirror.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
And he'll sign another deal, less money, but still resign. He's going to retire a King, bank on it.
I expect him to and I’m good with that. I just meant that it gives the Kings more salary cap flexibility.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
For next year I hope for this...

Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
Iafallo-Kupari-Grundstrom

Deal Lizotte. JAD is a extra.

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Nick Seeler-Spence or Clarke

Nick Seeler is tough as nails, can protect Spence or Clarke and affordable contract. Kings will need the money for Bertuzzi and Gavrikov.

Let Edler walk, trade Walker and Durzi.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

funky

Mar 9, 2002

Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy

Nick Seeler is tough as nails, can protect Spence or Clarke and affordable contract. Kings will need the money for Bertuzzi and Gavrikov.

I see you did not include goalies. Is this because there is no cap space left to sign them ?

Betruzzi will be 6 mil plus
Gavrikov 5 to 6
Vilardii gets a big raise.
Moore’s 4 mil a year extension kicks in
Peterson’s buyout is more then his cap hit.

Love your thinking and the players you picked but we need more money.

Reactions: YP44 and dman3474

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I see you did not include goalies. Is this because there is no cap space left to sign them ?

Betruzzi will be 6 mil plus
Gavrikov 5 to 6
Vilardii gets a big raise.
Moore’s 4 mil a year extension kicks in
Peterson’s buyout is more then his cap hit.

Love your thinking and the players you picked but we need more money.
I'll take a cheaper stab...

Fagemo-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
Lucic-Kupari-Grundstrom

Deal Lizotte and Iafallo. JAD is a extra.

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy

No way they're going after Bertuzzi, when priority 1 is signing the goalie, LHD you traded for and resign Valardi. That why you have cheap young prospects to fill gaps.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
I would love Bertuzzi, but don't see how they fit him in unless they do something crazy

Reactions: YP44

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
First it’s not over, but god something would have to change.

If they go out with a whimper there has to be a coaching change, then Blake needs to do something aggressive in the trade market. I don’t mind which direction they go in, but it has to be aggressive and decisive (regroup/retool by trading several veteran players vs blowing it up). If it’s passive tinkering at the edges then it really would be game over. I would not be surprised to see Luc fire Blake though, because he strikes me as survivor professionally.

IF a coaching change happens I just hope it’s not a retread. Sturm is also not the guy, even if I think he’s been unlucky with injuries and call ups. Again be aggressI’ve and hire a coach outside of the box, the NHL equivalent of what Blake did by hiring Wrobo. Even though it didn’t work it was a bold choice, which I approve of.

By the way QB has what it takes in my view, I just think he needs confidence, trust and a setup that favours him. That was an instinctive finish last night, much harder than most of his misses. His future is through the middle and he needs a prominent role there and to be on pp1.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site

Bertuzzi-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy

How about they resign Korpi & Gravikov, start playing the youth they have invested time & money in, put them in full time rolls where they will exceed and by-pass bringing in aging players? Bjornfot & Spence are ready. You don't even have Kaliyev in the lineup. JAD deserves full time duty.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The only way to play the youth is to trade current players.

The Kings are over Bjornfot. They need 2 LHD men if Gavrikov walks and they need to be big and physical. That's not Toby,

I expect Bjornfot, Lizotte, Arvidsson, Iafallo, Durzi and Walker all to be trade bait this summer.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
By the way QB has what it takes in my view, I just think he needs confidence, trust and a setup that favours him. That was an instinctive finish last night, much harder than most of his misses. His future is through the middle and he needs a prominent role there and to be on pp1.
We finally saw Byfield stop running around like a chicken with its head cut off, constantly chasing the puck. Instead of using him as the forechecker, he backed off into the center of the ice and got open. Instead of being used, he used his teammates to score a goal. I'm so glad Todd McLellan moved him off of Kopitar's wing for a couple of periods. He's realizing that he can be more effective in the middle of the ice than banging against the boards. When he slows the game down, he's gonna blow the doors off.

We've seen so many young forwards come up and skate so hard for so little results. Turcotte, Byfield, even Vilardi. They have to realize that what worked for them in juniors doesn't work in the NHL. Turcotte is so focused on forechecking that he never actually catches up with the puck. Vilardi used to constantly try to stick handle and skate into three defenders and get stripped. He could do that in juniors and score at will. Now he's finding space and time and making plays because he's using his linemates.

Byfield is just scratching the surface. Slow the game down, let the puck do the work, get better without the puck, bury the puck when you get the chance. Psyched for this kid.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Organizationally, I'm as down on this franchise as I've been in a long time. Blake, McLellan, Luc, Sturm, etc, just incompetence and nepotism all over the place

Reactions: RocketKing

funky

Mar 9, 2002
The only way to play the youth is to trade current players.

The Kings are over Bjornfot. They need 2 LHD men if Gavrikov walks and they need to be big and physical. That's not Toby,

I expect Bjornfot, Lizotte, Arvidsson, Iafallo, Durzi and Walker all to be trade bait this summer.
I agree to all but Arvidsson. I realize he is an upcoming UFA and we cannot afford him but I keep him until the trade deadline and see what position the team is in at that point. If we are playing great hockey keep him and take a shot, if we are not he should fetch us a good package.

I am crossing fingers that Gavrikov is here for a long time. He may be expensive but he fits this team like a glove. We have seen the proof.

I really like the Seeler idea as well. Need someone physical that will knock the opposition on their ass if they take liberties with our players or goalies.

TMAC needs to go. Its hard to say that about a fellow Saskatchewan boy, but his decisions and in game tactics baffle me.

I am also in the minority that thinks Byfield takes a massive step and I think Vilardi can also improve. I know you are all about the tough guy and I agree this team lacks overall toughness and I am not opposed to a low minute situational guy like Lucic if he comes cheap but I would rather have a hard checking, defense orientated, shit disturbing 4th line that is sent out to cause havoc and keep the opposition on their toes. I get the NHL as a whole has deployed 3 basic scoring lines instead of the traditional 2 scoring, 1 checking and 1 goon style line. However our bottom line led by the 5'6 Lizotte (who I love) doesn't establish an identity and does not strike fear in the opposition. Need Blake to form a bottom line that plays with size, pace and snarl. If the other team starts playing like asshats, this line gets deployed to return the favor.

With Kopi and Daneault on the team we have the ability to make a shutdown line if we have to. I am all over having a King and Nolan type 4th line that wears the team down and literally checks or beats the crap out of them.

Kaliyev - Kopitar - Kempe
Vilardi - Byfield - Fiala - deploy for pure offense
Moore - Danny - Arvi
Grundstrom - Kupari- Lucic
JAD

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy - shutdown pairing
Seeler- Clarke
Spence

Korpo
Copley

Out

Lizzo - love him but we need size, we have enough scorers on the top 3 lines, 4th line for crunching

Bjornfot - Waiver eligible, probably would pass through, small dman, no high end assets

Iafallo - this one hurts, he is a swiss army knife, but cost 4 mil, would love to keep him.

Walker - got bet as he healed up and got his legs under him, small, stacked on right side

Durzi - Can't play defence, small, we have better cheaper options

Just clearing out those 5 address a lot of the size issue on the team.
Seeler in for Durzi really tightens up that back end and insolates Clarke.
Kupari in for Lizotte adds massive size and shouldn't kill the offence to bad. Lizotte excelled at getting on the forecheck fast but usually ended up on his ass. I think Kupari has the speed to replicate this but put the opposition on their ass.

My main concern is Kaliyev on the top line. Hell we had a goal deprived Byfield up there for half a year and Kempe and Kopi still excelled. Its time for Arty to step up and prove he can play top line. Kopitar and Kempe play a great two way game that should insulate him a bit.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I expect him to and I’m good with that. I just meant that it gives the Kings more salary cap flexibility.
It just means that the Kings won't be able to move forward while the kids fail to assume ownership of a squad still tethered to the now ancient past.

Kopitar MUST not be re-signed. It would be a disservice to the organization.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
How about they resign Korpi & Gravikov, start playing the youth they have invested time & money in, put them in full time rolls where they will exceed and by-pass bringing in aging players? Bjornfot & Spence are ready. You don't even have Kaliyev in the lineup. JAD deserves full time duty.
I am not sure if I want Kings to sign Korpisallo.

I believe Oilers discovered his main problem (top corners) and it may be is not fixable one.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
The ESPN analyst correctly pointed out how passive the Kings were both on the PK and 5 on 5. We are giving the Oilers far too much respect, it appears. McDavid and Draisaitl are going to get their chances, they are too good, but our forward group is much deeper, and we need to exploit match up opportunities much better.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
What do you think you would have to part with to unload Cal Peterson? I think Chicago could be that team.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I am not sure if I want Kings to sign Korpisallo.

I believe Oilers discovered his main problem (top corners) and it may be is not fixable one.
eh. make them make the perfect shot. i don't think skinner's any different in that regard

problem is the coilers have several guys who will make that perfect shot regularly

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
It just means that the Kings won't be able to move forward while the kids fail to assume ownership of a squad still tethered to the now ancient past.

Kopitar MUST not be re-signed. It would be a disservice to the organization.
Blake and Luc are not patient enough for a legitimate rebuild. If they were, they would have given the kids more of a chance to assume that ownership. But lets be honest, many of the young forwards haven't really shown that they are ready to take over this team. The only one that has finally blossomed is Vilardi.

Blake and Luc are going to want to remain competitive. I would be shocked if they actually decided to undergo a rebuild. If they don't resign Kopitar, they are going to have a big hole at 1C (unless, of course, Byfield really comes into his own next season). Also, taking into consideration that Kopitar has finally developed some chemistry with a winger not named Dustin Brown, and the fact that Kempe is signed for another 3 season, I don't foresee them letting Kopitar walk unless his game completely falls apart.

Whether we like it or not, we probably are going to be a black hole team for the next 2-3 years. If a rebuild happens, I doubt it would be under Blake or TM.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
We finally saw Byfield stop running around like a chicken with its head cut off, constantly chasing the puck. Instead of using him as the forechecker, he backed off into the center of the ice and got open. Instead of being used, he used his teammates to score a goal. I'm so glad Todd McLellan moved him off of Kopitar's wing for a couple of periods. He's realizing that he can be more effective in the middle of the ice than banging against the boards. When he slows the game down, he's gonna blow the doors off.

We've seen so many young forwards come up and skate so hard for so little results. Turcotte, Byfield, even Vilardi. They have to realize that what worked for them in juniors doesn't work in the NHL. Turcotte is so focused on forechecking that he never actually catches up with the puck. Vilardi used to constantly try to stick handle and skate into three defenders and get stripped. He could do that in juniors and score at will. Now he's finding space and time and making plays because he's using his linemates.

Byfield is just scratching the surface. Slow the game down, let the puck do the work, get better without the puck, bury the puck when you get the chance. Psyched for this kid.
Organizationally & coaching -- stop trying to put square pegs in round holes (& vice versa)!!!!

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Kaliyev - Kopitar - Kempe
Vilardi - Byfield - Fiala - deploy for pure offense
Moore - Danny - Arvi
Grundstrom - Kupari- Lucic
JAD

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy - shutdown pairing
Seeler- Clarke
Spence

Korpo
Copley

Out

Lizzo - love him but we need size, we have enough scorers on the top 3 lines, 4th line for crunching

Bjornfot - Waiver eligible, probably would pass through, small dman, no high end assets

Iafallo - this one hurts, he is a swiss army knife, but cost 4 mil, would love to keep him.

Walker - got bet as he healed up and got his legs under him, small, stacked on right side

Durzi - Can't play defence, small, we have better cheaper options

Just clearing out those 5 address a lot of the size issue on the team.
Seeler in for Durzi really tightens up that back end and insolates Clarke.
Kupari in for Lizotte adds massive size and shouldn't kill the offence to bad. Lizotte excelled at getting on the forecheck fast but usually ended up on his ass. I think Kupari has the speed to replicate this but put the opposition on their ass.

My main concern is Kaliyev on the top line. Hell we had a goal deprived Byfield up there for half a year and Kempe and Kopi still excelled. Its time for Arty to step up and prove he can play top line. Kopitar and Kempe play a great two way game that should insulate him a bit.

You are probably not far off. With all the trades to bring in talent this past year, players need to be traded out to get draft picks except for Iafallo who isn't going anywhere.

Also, I don't know how you pencil in Kaliyev to the top line or Byfield to center the second after this playoff series. They are going to have to have one helluva a summer to be those players.

Also Gundy has been garbage this playoff series as well. He cant finish a check and has 1 assist. Maybe we can trade him, MacEwen, Durzi, Lizotte, Walker for anything.

Based on the current roster we can probably expect

Iafallo - Danault - Kempe
Fiala - Kopitar - Arvi-
Moore -Vilardi - Arvi
Byfield - Kupari- Kaliyev

I am guessing we will be underwhelmed by the incoming players to the Kings this offseason and pretty much role out the same thing as management isn't really adapting changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad