Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
That's some weird **** and funny math. It's like making New Year's resolutions for 2023 on December 11th, 2023, when the "new" year is nearly over. They're signing him in late April for exactly what this season? And that what counts as the first year of his contract? :skeptic:
The NHL fiscal year runs from July 1st to July 1st

When guys like Laferriere and Portillo sign a contract late in a season that "burns" a year of their ELC the year that is being burned is the season currently being played.

Cole Krieger by contrast signed an ELC that begins on July 1st, 2023 (or whenever the actual start of the fiscal year is)

Krieger had played 5 years of college hockey and could not return.
Laferriere and Portillo could have returned to college for another year and so burning the first year of their ELC and giving them the accompanying salary is an incentive to convince them to turn pro.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Portillo had all the leverage. I mentioned it in the Portillo trade thread, there was no reason for him to sign with the Kings if they didn’t give him incentives to do so, and what basically becomes a 1 year ELC was enough incentive to bypass UFA.

Brisson being buddies with Luc, and the Kings having a bunch of Swedes was never going to change the fact that Portillo had the Kings by the balls in this negotiation.

I don’t hate the 1 year though, if he struggles in the AHL the Kings can just move on and just be out the pick. If he does really well and looks like he could be an NHL guy, they would be happy to sign him to an extension next season, even if it’s for a bigger NHL cap number.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
We kept Walker on the roster to deny Clarke or Spence a roster spot. Now we sit him in the playoffs. Excellent move here. At least give him a game to increase his value so we can trade him and Durzi this off season.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
We kept Walker on the roster to deny Clarke or Spence a roster spot. Now we sit him in the playoffs. Excellent move here. At least give him a game to increase his value so we can trade him and Durzi this off season.
Walker has increased his trade value. We should now get a 7th for him if we throw in a 5th.

ah, I am being a prick. I actually thought Walkers game got a lot better as the season wore on and at this point I have no idea why Durzi is in the lineup over him. Especially against the high flying Oilers.

I have no idea what other teams think of Durzi. His stats point wise looks like he should get a 1st, especially being that rarer right shot guy. My eye test says he is an AHL player that cheats for offence and should be playing on a bottom feeder like Arizona and not a contender serious about making it to the next round.

Next year I hope I am thanking both Durzi and Walker for their time with the Kings and good luck with their new teams.

One of Spence or Walker should handle their duty at a fraction of the cost.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
don't think the team is really set up to go full scorched earth if that is what you have in mind.
Was it last year that LA was seen to have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league? Lets see how they pan out.
And they have all been developed to be bit parts in the epilog of the Cup Core's story instead of potential franchise players.

Honestly, Byfield, Turcotte, Spence, Bjornfot, Faber and Kaliyev have all been wasted picks. This management group made a massive mistake by chasing past glories instead of pursuing fresh ones. Does anyone honestly think that they are going to learn from their mistakes with Clarke?

Now you are looking at a team that may fail to get out of the first round again behind ancient past heroes that cannot make it to game five of the first round without being completely exhausted.

What happens this summer? How do you afford Gavrikov and Korpisalo? Or is the plan to shift Durzi back to the left and rely on Copley and Peterson? Will Kaliyev get a top 6 shot or will yet another place holder be brought in?

Who replaces Kopitar and Arvidsson in 13 months? Re-sign them to continue the "win now" narrative?

They entered this post season short handed in a number of key areas, yet have no options at hand to address them. Why would they be better next year when it will cost all available cap space to just stay the same as they are right now?

This post-season has a lot riding on it, and I think we are all disappointed in their effort last night to put a stranglehold on the series. Key veteran players - the ones whose selfish attitudes essentially cancelled out the rebuild - simply look old, tired and ineffectual. It was a mistake to honor their wishes.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
don't think the team is really set up to go full scorched earth if that is what you have in mind.
Was it last year that LA was seen to have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league? Lets see how they pan out.

To late for the Kings to go scorched Earth. This years draft was the one to be at or near the top. A potential once in a decade guy, and three other guys who could be #1 picks a lot of years. They should have ended the rebuild after this draft.

But prospect rankings from a year ago don’t mean much. Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, Grans and Spence all are less valuable assets than they were a year ago. But that happens with youth, they depreciate quickly. Clarke and Faber surely go up, but Faber is on Minnesota’s list. Clarke is clearly the best prospect the Kings have.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmytheKing

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
To late for the Kings to go scorched Earth. This years draft was the one to be at or near the top. A potential once in a decade guy, and three other guys who could be #1 picks a lot of heads. They should have ended the rebuild after this draft.

But prospect rankings from a year ago don’t mean much. Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Bjornfot, Grans and Spence all are less valuable assets than they were a year ago. But that happens with youth, they depreciate quickly. Clarke and Faber surely go up, but Faber is on Minnesota’s list. Clarke is clearly the best prospect the Kings have.
Which is exactly why I said a few times that if the Kings are trying to win now, they needed to use some of these guys to get higher end help. Blake's been hoarding prospects like a dragon and watching their value decline year after year.

It's been said many times on here (by you and others) that this Kings team doesn't seem to know if they want to build for the future or push hard for now and, because of that, they look to be a team that is doing neither. Not good enough to win it all, not bad enough to get better through the draft.

Oh well, too late at this point. Just have to hope that they can get someone in the middle of the 1st in the 2024 and 2025 draft that can make a difference.

Reactions: Bandit

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Best thing they can do is to NOT sign Todd to a new contract. He has one season left. Let him go at some point between now and then, personal preference is sooner rather than later.

And trade 2 RHD and at least one of iafallo/Moore/Arvidsson. Get a goalie if you can’t sign Korpisalo, sign Gavrikov and figure out left defense, find someone for the bottom 6 who can play a regular shift and be a physical presence.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Just putting it out there, Kings best chance at their next cup is right now, or maybe next season. After that, it'll have to be a couple of seasons after Doughty's contract expires, unless they somehow convince Columbus to take Doughty. Dark times ahead, but maybe we'll have prime Byfield by then lol.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
And they have all been developed to be bit parts in the epilog of the Cup Core's story instead of potential franchise players.

Honestly, Byfield, Turcotte, Spence, Bjornfot, Faber and Kaliyev have all been wasted picks. This management group made a massive mistake by chasing past glories instead of pursuing fresh ones. Does anyone honestly think that they are going to learn from their mistakes with Clarke?

Now you are looking at a team that may fail to get out of the first round again behind ancient past heroes that cannot make it to game five of the first round without being completely exhausted.

What happens this summer? How do you afford Gavrikov and Korpisalo? Or is the plan to shift Durzi back to the left and rely on Copley and Peterson? Will Kaliyev get a top 6 shot or will yet another place holder be brought in?

Who replaces Kopitar and Arvidsson in 13 months? Re-sign them to continue the "win now" narrative?

They entered this post season short handed in a number of key areas, yet have no options at hand to address them. Why would they be better next year when it will cost all available cap space to just stay the same as they are right now?

This post-season has a lot riding on it, and I think we are all disappointed in their effort last night to put a stranglehold on the series. Key veteran players - the ones whose selfish attitudes essentially cancelled out the rebuild - simply look old, tired and ineffectual. It was a mistake to honor their wishes.
This. Next year Kopitar and Arvidsson will be pending UFA's.

Kings put themselves in a hole at many positions.

Blake failed to move Walker and make room for Spence. This also made Faber a tradeable asset.

They can't deal Durzi, because without Lemieux or MacEwen in the line-up - he is the toughest player, which is sad. If RB adds a big gritty mean LHD to replace Edler then the Kings can move Durzi and put Spence with that LHD.

Doughty-Anderson
Gavrikov-Roy
LHD-Spence
Extra: Morevare or Walker or another UFA.

The Kings can also move Lizotte - they look so much bigger without him.

Durzi, Lizotte, Iafallo, and Arvidsson are the trade pieces this summer.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
This. Next year Kopitar and Arvidsson will be pending UFA's.

Kings put themselves in a hole at many positions.

Blake failed to move Walker and make room for Spence. This also made Faber a tradeable asset.

They can't deal Durzi, because without Lemieux or MacEwen in the line-up - he is the toughest player, which is sad. If RB adds a big gritty mean LHD to replace Edler then the Kings can move Durzi and put Spence with that LHD.

Doughty-Anderson
Gavrikov-Roy
LHD-Spence
Extra: Morevare or Walker or another UFA.

The Kings can also move Lizotte - they look so much bigger without him.

Durzi, Lizotte, Iafallo, and Arvidsson are the trade pieces this summer.

So what happens to Clarke then? we've got guys around here saying he should've stayed up and would be making a difference this playoffs. Ok, then what, put him in the AHL next year?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
So what happens to Clarke then? we've got guys around here saying he should've stayed up and would be making a difference this playoffs. Ok, then what, put him in the AHL next year?
It would be insane to have a player like Clarke in the AHL in his age 20 season. Johnny either forgot about him, or he’s dealing in the reality of how the Kings handle top prospects and just assumed he’d be there.

Reactions: ibleedkings

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Clarke will start in the AHL. Too much depth on RHD and he needs to put on weight like Krygier.
I would be shocked if he starts in the AHL next year. After the season he had in the OHL and the upside with this kid.... better move from Blake is to try and more Durzi for picks/assets.

Just putting it out there, Kings best chance at their next cup is right now, or maybe next season. After that, it'll have to be a couple of seasons after Doughty's contract expires, unless they somehow convince Columbus to take Doughty. Dark times ahead, but maybe we'll have prime Byfield by then lol.
Agree right now. Kopitar's contract comes off the books after next year, but Doughty is the one i'm most worried about. He is just not worth that dollar amount right now. 4 more years there.

I hope they can get past Edmonton. There's a lot to like about this team. You could argue that Edmonton has a really good chance of making the Western Conference Finals/Cup Finals this year.

Blake is definitely going to have to do some creative engineering to make this work. Buy out Petersen, try to package Walker and move him in another deal.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I would be shocked if he starts in the AHL next year. After the season he had in the OHL and the upside with this kid.... better move from Blake is to try and more Durzi for picks/assets.

Agree right now. Kopitar's contract comes off the books after next year, but Doughty is the one i'm most worried about. He is just not worth that dollar amount right now. 4 more years there.

I hope they can get past Edmonton. There's a lot to like about this team. You could argue that Edmonton has a really good chance of making the Western Conference Finals/Cup Finals this year.

Blake is definitely going to have to do some creative engineering to make this work. Buy out Petersen, try to package Walker and move him in another deal.
There is no point buying out Peterson. If we bury him in the minors the team has approximately a $3.8 cap hit next year. If we buy him out his cap hit is $5.167 mil. So basically with Cal in the minor and Copley's extension for $1.5 mil we can just pretend our starting goalie is Copley and he is making $5.3 mil a year. If Korpo can be had in that $3 to 4 mil range then we keep our goaltending tandem to under $10 mil a year which is cheaper then the $10.8 mil we started with this year with Quick and Peterson.

With the Cap going up it will be easier to absorb Cal's buyout a year from now when we would be penalized $2 mil the first year and only $1 mil the second year.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I have a feeling Blake will move Petersons contact in a deal and end up costing the Kings picks or a legit prospect.

Even Jon Hoven said Clarke starts in the AHL - have you seen his body type? You want him going against the big forwards in the West.

Also, Rob Blake would need to deal both Durzi and Walker to put Clarke in the line up. Even then where does that leave Spence?

Doughty-Anderson
Roy-Gavrikov (if he re-signs).
Clarke-LHD (big and nasty)

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I have a feeling Blake will move Petersons contact in a deal and end up costing the Kings picks or a legit prospect.

Even Jon Hoven said Clarke starts in the AHL - have you seen his body type? You want him going against the big forwards in the West.

Also, Rob Blake would need to deal both Durzi and Walker to put Clarke in the line up. Even then where does that leave Spence?

Doughty-Anderson
Roy-Gavrikov (if he re-signs).
Clarke-LHD (big and nasty)
You have your rights and lefts mixed up ;)

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
On the message board yes...

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
LHD (Edler replacement)-Clarke

Honestly, I think both Spence and Clarke are both in the AHL and one of Walker and Durzi will be the 3rd pair RHD with a big, rugged LHD.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

And he'll sign another deal, less money, but still resign. He's going to retire a King, bank on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad