Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Bjornfot pretty much has to play next year for cap reasons alone. to have any hope of retaining both Gavrikov, Korpi, and extending Vilardi, it’s gotta be:

Anderson - DD
Gavi - Roy/Durzi/Walker
Bjornfot - Spence/Clarke

ELCs and bridge contracts are absolutely necessary, and there aren’t any forwards up to scratch so it’s going to be on D.

The only way a Soucy is added is if Gavi is gone.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I love fans who want to ice the all midget line up of Doughty, Spence, Clarke, etc.

Do you know what other teams know the Kings are soft? It is their game plan to play physical against us?
I get the midget reference if you're referring to Spence, but Doughty is 6'1" and Clarke is 6'2". Both can play with an edge. I really don't see a big deal here if we have Anderson and Gavrikov. Why so serious, bro?

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Anderson, Gavi and Soucy on the LHD would pretty good toughness/size wise for this team.
Paired with an add along the 4th line (no, not mcewen) that is big/tough and that would be much better place than we’ve been the past few years.
No way we can get Gavi and Soucy unless Blake works some trade magic. I think we will need to do a buyout on Petersen and figure out if there are any takers on Walker for an expiring contract. Hopefully get Vilardi on a bridge deal. I'm also not super worried about offloading draft picks if our window to win is now.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I thought both did. I was trying to find the tweet but no luck.
This doesn't look like Edmonton:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
The team would suck without Vilardi though, because there would be no cap room to sign him.
Well i was just saying it would look nice. It's someone else's job to make it happen. ;)

But i'll bite. Certainly you have to take a hit somewhere else to make it happen. You have to give to get -- some items will hurt. But out with Roy, Durzi and one of AI/Moore. If needed, you can trade Arvi (again, hurt but needed if so).

No way we can get Gavi and Soucy unless Blake works some trade magic. I think we will need to do a buyout on Petersen and figure out if there are any takers on Walker for an expiring contract. Hopefully get Vilardi on a bridge deal. I'm also not super worried about offloading draft picks if our window to win is now.
See above

Reactions: bmr

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Well i was just saying it would look nice. It's someone else's job to make it happen. ;)

But i'll bite. Certainly you have to take a hit somewhere else to make it happen. You have to give to get -- some items will hurt. But out with Roy, Durzi and one of AI/Moore. If needed, you can trade Arvi (again, hurt but needed if so).

See above

Yeah, it can be made to work. It just depends on what we would be willing to give up and if it's worth it as far as bang for buck.

It would be more difficult to replace Arvi than any of the defense for sure. We have multiple cheap contracts on D (Bjornfot, Spence, Clarke) that can replace others without a noticeable hit to quality. I can't think of any forwards that fit the bill. Fagemo is the closest but he's nowhere near that level.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Yeah, it can be made to work. It just depends on what we would be willing to give up and if it's worth it as far as bang for buck.

It would be more difficult to replace Arvi than any of the defense for sure. We have multiple cheap contracts on D (Bjornfot, Spence, Clarke) that can replace others without a noticeable hit to quality. I can't think of any forwards that fit the bill. Fagemo is the closest but he's nowhere near that level.
The reality of the situation is that we are what we are for the foreseeable future -- size/toughness/etc. wise. Blake has built this team in that fashion. changes will need to come internally and those young guys we have (Helenius, 2023 drafted big guys, 2024 draft, etc.) are 2-3+ years away. Byfield is still a couple years away from realizing he's big enough to use his size for force and aggression. Turc has the right mindset but wrong body (smaller, injury prone).

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You cannot keep all four of Doughty, Roy, Spence, and Clarke. And this is assuming we’ve already moved on from Durzi and Walker.

So it’s either move Roy, or move Spence, and accept the fact that whomever you move will likely blossom into a fantastic top four defenseman on another team.

I still vote for moving Roy. His value is very obvious around the league, and he’s hitting his peak. Sell high. But I fully acknowledge that you’re taking a risk by betting on Spence’s long term development.
If you want to win you have to take calculated risks. If you can get the right return for Roy you certainly consider it. Especially if Gavrikov resigns and you can add further physicality elsewhere.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The reality of the situation is that we are what we are for the foreseeable future -- size/toughness/etc. wise. Blake has built this team in that fashion. changes will need to come internally and those young guys we have (Helenius, 2023 drafted big guys, 2024 draft, etc.) are 2-3+ years away. Byfield is still a couple years away from realizing he's big enough to use his size for force and aggression. Turc has the right mindset but wrong body (smaller, injury prone).

Toughness for sure, but the Kings aren't small. 9 teams average 6' 2" and 21 teams average 6' 1" (Kings included). Only two teams average 6' 0" (Avalanche and Wild).

The Kings are 14th in weight out of all NHL teams. Here are some teams that the Kings outsize: Rangers, Kraken, Hurricanes, Maple Leafs, Devils, Avalanche, Wild. The Avalanche are one of the smallest teams in the league, they just have MacD and Manson, and only one of those play sans injuries.

The Oilers are one of the biggest teams, yet the difference between them and the Kings is only 3 pounds and 3 centimeters.

The biggest hurdle is finding a tough guy that can play, they are pretty rare. That combination of aggression and skill is elusive today so I don't see one being acquired either. I think it's attitude more than anything, we don't have enough of that nasty. We have guys that won't back down but we need more anger.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Bjornfot pretty much has to play next year for cap reasons alone. to have any hope of retaining both Gavrikov, Korpi, and extending Vilardi, it’s gotta be:

Anderson - DD
Gavi - Roy/Durzi/Walker
Bjornfot - Spence/Clarke

ELCs and bridge contracts are absolutely necessary, and there aren’t any forwards up to scratch so it’s going to be on D.

The only way a Soucy is added is if Gavi is gone.
Gavi not signed or Roy traded

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If you want to win you have to take calculated risks. If you can get the right return for Roy you certainly consider it. Especially if Gavrikov resigns and you can add further physicality elsewhere.

Rob Blake doesn’t take creative risks, unfortunately.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Toughness for sure, but the Kings aren't small. 9 teams average 6' 2" and 21 teams average 6' 1" (Kings included). Only two teams average 6' 0" (Avalanche and Wild).

The Kings are 14th in weight out of all NHL teams. Here are some teams that the Kings outsize: Rangers, Kraken, Hurricanes, Maple Leafs, Devils, Avalanche, Wild. The Avalanche are one of the smallest teams in the league, they just have MacD and Manson, and only one of those play sans injuries.

The Oilers are one of the biggest teams, yet the difference between them and the Kings is only 3 pounds and 3 centimeters.

The biggest hurdle is finding a tough guy that can play, they are pretty rare. That combination of aggression and skill is elusive today so I don't see one being acquired either. I think it's attitude more than anything, we don't have enough of that nasty. We have guys that won't back down but we need more anger.
It still isn't about not being big enough: it is the mindset.

Avs three best forwards (when Landeskog plays) don't take any shit.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013

Vilardi did. Doesn’t mean Fiala didn’t but I would assume Bernstein would have mentioned Fiala too if he were with that group.

I saw a picture of Fiala with his wife and a caption that read something like go kings game 1 or something. Not sure if the picture was recent or not. That would seem to indicate he didn't make the trip. I'm not sure anyone saw him up there. Having Vilardi and Fiala improves our offensive potential immensely. This team was really firing on all cylinders after we got Gav and Korpi.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I really liked Kempe's f*** you shoulder to Nurse after the GWG last night

need much much more of that
Like Kempe and he has the dickish trait you want but as much as I want that to be an on purpose thing, it also just looked like a guy trying to get to the celebration and Nurse just happened to be in the way.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Kind of an aside but after seeing what Kempe has done--whatever shot/release training he did, Clockwork Orange Byfield with that this offseason :laugh:

Part of me wonders if Byfield just wants to pass to Kempe. Maybe his confidence is low and doesn't believe he can hit the net?

Regardless, the kid really, really needs to be practicing taking shots and driving to the correct lane this offseason. We need a Josh Allen comparison, not a Ben Simmons.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

Anger is its own super power when used correctly. Losing RR #44 after cup 2 punched a hole in our D. Gavrikov is a different type of player but the size helps. I'd like to see more snarl but he seems to punch a timely goal in a pinch.

This is gonna be an important game tonight and winner is gonna get some momentum. If LA goes up 2 to 0 in EDM, it's gonna test EDMs will and emotional intelligence and the fear of collapse, a la San Jose. If EDM wins, I think they're gonna push even harder in Game 3. Would love to see them crumble like SJ but wishful thinking on my part.

Each team made some mistakes in Game 1, we'll see who adapts best.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

I wonder where the Kings would rank if your took out Edler? he's 6'4" after all. Oilers just seem to have more guys that are closer to the average, making them feel bigger overall, as opposed to the Kings having some big guys and some midgets.

Kind of an aside but after seeing what Kempe has done--whatever shot/release training he did, Clockwork Orange Byfield with that this offseason :laugh:
Feels like he should practice his aim pissing into the toilet first. Dude can't hit a target for shit.

• Haha
Reactions: KingTech

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I wonder where the Kings would rank if your took out Edler? he's 6'4" after all. Oilers just seem to have more guys that are closer to the average, making them feel bigger overall, as opposed to the Kings having some big guys and some midgets.

Feels like he should practice his aim pissing into the toilet first. Dude can't hit a target for shit.
Kings have too many midgets in my view (Lizotte, Moore, JAD and Durzi).
The only midget I really like is Arvidsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad