Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I personally believe stars should get max salary and the middle players should get scraps instead of the current mindset of stars being expected to sacrifice so middle players can get inflated contracts on the open market.

What will be funny is if the ink is barely dry on Auston's new contract and he immediately leaves for wrist surgery.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Sergei Fedorov made 28 million $ in 1997-1998 for 43 total games.

The cap is a lie. All it does it benefit owners, not the fans or the players.
So what's the answer? Abolish the cap and let the Leafs and Rangers spend $150 million a year in payroll? You think most of the owners are going to agree to that?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I am honestly ok with 13.5 over 6 years. Leafs get him through his 20's, he gets his payday and likely is elite the first few years and then slowly becomes a problem for the team.

My reasoning is this is based off of the projected 90M cap when this contract kicks in. This is 15% of the cap which is in line with his last contract and slightly cheaper than MackInnons which is @ 15.3%.

However, less term than that is a disgrace. More money than that is pure greed. Show some loyalty to the franchise and commit 6 or more years at that cap hit and maybe we are taking the right path again.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
And then? If Matthews refuses Dubas or any other Gm can drag their heels but it won’t change the facts. He wasn’t to sit matthews out in a vindictive spat because he didn’t sign for term
they'll never know. the leafs didnt use any leverage.

at the very least they should have never given him the 8 year money on a 5 year term.

Reactions: Ragdoll and Jmo89

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I am pretty sure he said that is what Matthews wants. It was on in the background while I was working. I just think it comes in the middle of max and 3 years.

He was more adamant that 13.5M is the salary

Why are you so worked up bud?

This probably means guys like McDavid will be like 14.5/15. Draisaitl probably same or more than Matthews. That dude is going to get a nice raise.
I would say McDavid comes in at 13 and Drai at 11-11.5. Cap will also be 5M+ higher so it's better value. I don't think McDavid is going to take the biggest contract in the league, he already did that and made 100M, though I don't think he's going to give the Oilers max term again. If he does then obviously the price goes up.

I don't see how you can justify 13.5M at anything less than 5 years. That's highway robbery, even for a player of Matthews calibre.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I would say McDavid comes in at 13 and Drai at 11-11.5. Cap will also be 5M+ higher so it's better value. I don't think McDavid is going to take the biggest contract in the league, he already did that and made 100M, though I don't think he's going to give the Oilers max term again. If he does then obviously the price goes up.

I don't see how you can justify 13.5M at anything less than 5 years. That's highway robbery, even for a player of Matthews calibre.
With the cap increasing by potentially 10+ million by the time McDavid/Draisaitl need to be re-signed, it’s quite the dream to expect them to sign for what players are signing for now

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Shouldn't leafs fans be happy even if it's a terrible contract this would mean they keep their star player

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
He's not worth it. Even during his Hart Trophy season Marner was motoring and driving that line most of the time. Paying $13.5 for someone who can't even drive his own line sufficiently is absurd.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
5 years favours the Leafs - it takes Matthews to his 30's where he presumably makes less.

If a team wants to offer Matthews a higher 7 year contract starting in his 32 year old season, I hope it's not the Leafs.

I don't get why Matthews would want a 5-year term though. What teams are going to be lining up to give him 14M+ until he's almost 40?

A 1 to 3 year extension makes sense for him. Works for the Leafs too because they can swing at McDavid with the Tavares contract expired by then.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So that’d also likely mean bye bye to Willy according to what Elliotte’s said about him taking less if others do but won’t if they don’t.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So that’d also likely mean bye bye to Willy according to what Elliotte’s said about him taking less if others do but won’t if they don’t.

The problem is no team is willing to pay Willy his ask, and he knows it. Dubas probably would, but don't know if he still will in Pittsburgh.

I think the Aho contract is going to set the ceiling for Nylander, regardless of what Matthews gets.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I would be pretty annoyed as a Leafs fan. In a cap league, you can't win when your star players squeeze every penny they can out of management. He deserves the AAV on paper, but it just doesn't leave you with enough room to improve the rest of the roster.

It’s Kypreos so a huge grain of salt should be taken here

If true that’s a disgusting contract and shows what his priorities are
I'd assume the 3 years stuff is bullshit. The AAV also seems suspect...

Reactions: Jmo89

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
they'll never know. the leafs didnt use any leverage.

at the very least they should have never given him the 8 year money on a 5 year term.
What was their leverage exactly besides making him sit out? We’ve seen over the last 5 yrs that star rfas aren’t exactly keen to take discounts for reasons anymore.

Matthews leverage was in the form of being the star #1C of the leafs and a key goal scoring cog of the team. Dubas (or any other Gm for that matter) were stuck between a rock and a hard place. If Matthews won’t sign for more than 5 yrs, no amount of “leverage” or “negotiating” changes down. Sure they could’ve sat him out or risked an offer sheet, but that wouldnt logically be the sound thing to do.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I personally believe stars should get max salary and the middle players should get scraps instead of the current mindset of stars being expected to sacrifice so middle players can get inflated contracts on the open market.

What will be funny is if the ink is barely dry on Auston's new contract and he immediately leaves for wrist surgery.
The beauty of hockey is sorta that one guy can't win a cup by himself , hell even 2-3-4-5 guys can't lol. I know bottom 6ers are treating like scraps over here but its a team sport

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Why not? Huberdeau just got $10.5. Aho isnt a comparable situation.

How is Aho not comparable?

Aho is a UFA. Aho is younger. Aho has played 1 less career game than Nylander and has more points on a lower scoring team with less offensive talent around him.

Huberdeau also scored 115 points and was second in the Art Ross race before signing that contract. How is that comparable to Nylander when Nylander has never scored 90 points?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

The stars other than McDavid and maybe Mackinnon and Drai, aren't that much better than everyone else.

I have a hard time believing Matthews is worth $7m more than most players who are currently making $7m, and you want to increase that gap? Matthews is closer in production to guys like Robertson and Kempe than he is to MacKinnon and Drai

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Do you take a discount for your job?

FWI: I totally understand why this pisses fans off, but I’m just looking at it logically. These guys have a certain number of yrs in the league… it is in their best interest to go for the money
Go for the money but as a fan you also want players that actually want to win to. He hasn't shown he cares about winning so far. Nylander just said a week or two ago why should he take less when others haven't? It's different when your actually winning but this Leafs core hasn't won anything yet wants to be paid. Sorry Matthews is not the best player in league I wouldn't even put him top 3 but he keeps demanding player first deals and that's not how you build a winner. Sometimes you gotta leave a little to better surround yourself but he doesn't seem to care to do that.

Edit, I'd like to add he was 3rd leading scorer on his own team what do you think the other two are gonna want now? Matthews is a great player but he doesn't come across as someone you can win with or lead your team when he just goes for short term high dollar deals.

Last edited:

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I would be pretty annoyed as a Leafs fan. In a cap league, you can't win when your star players squeeze every penny they can out of management. He deserves the AAV on paper, but it just doesn't leave you with enough room to improve the rest of the roster.

I'd assume the 3 years stuff is bullshit. The AAV also seems suspect...

Unfortunately the salary structure for the team has been messed up since Matthews and Marner got their contracts (and they signed JT.) Not only did Dubas mess up dollar and term, but he signed them at the worst times possible (Matthews before Marner, neither guy the summer before their breakout seasons, etc.) He even ruined Nylander for a year, which is funny because Nylander's ask was the closest to being fair. Shanahan shares the blame for letting it all happen.

At this point they're handcuffed by Matthews, Marner, and now even Nylander. Nylander wants to be overpaid like Mathews and Marner were, and considering he made significantly less he has good reason. Marner is going to ask for the moon after a cap increase, and Matthews knows the team won't just walk away.

Nylander is the guy who deserves the least to get moved but probably will to accommodate Matthews and Marner. Whatever, it is what it is at this point. The Leafs need to draw a line going forward with every player not named Matthews and Marner. Maybe they get lucky with a couple young cheap guys and salvage things with a rising cap.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
How is Aho not comparable?

Aho is a UFA. Aho is younger. Aho has played 1 less career game than Nylander and has more points on a lower scoring team with less offensive talent around him.

Huberdeau also scored 115 points and was second in the Art Ross race before signing that contract. How is that comparable to Nylander when Nylander has never scored 90 points?
Well, Aho is an undersized C who plays a strong defensive effort game and is a cornerstone piece of their franchise. Huberdeau is a soft defensively indifferent winger who has one outlier scoring year at age 29 that no one intelligent thought was his new norm. Why would Aho even enter the conversation for a Nylander comparable?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
He's not worth it. Even during his Hart Trophy season Marner was motoring and driving that line most of the time. Paying $13.5 for someone who can't even drive his own line sufficiently is absurd.

That's simply not true. That was the one season where he powered his line, and looked like a tier above his team. That was a 13.5m season.

Last year he looked like Tim Stutzle out there :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad