Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I`m pretty sure every other team in the league is happy with this deal! If I would be a Leaf-fan, not so much...

This year Matthews and Hintz had identical stats /min played. Hintz is locked up at 8.5M until 2031. Matthews needs 13.5M shortterm and over 14M longterm. The greediest player in the league. Well, next cup in 2065 in Toronto?

You don't think this effects future contracts?

That's naive. These deals definitely aren't good for other teams, especially ones that have real cashflow considerations.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This. Players should have been doing this for years. But this good ole boy league has forced and controlled how deals are given. Glad the new generation is tryin to modernize nhl. The fact that not all the gms speak to each other is hilarious and should never have been leaked. Makes this look like a shitty private business. And we see it in how rules that apply to one team dont to another. Player power was always coming ... took 2 decades longer than it should have.
Yup, players have been vastly underpaid since the 2004-05 lockout. Joe Sakic made 16 million in 1998! That's like what, 30 million today? Lol

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
McDavid, took a discount for his team….

What’s unreasonable is you because you choose to willfully ignore the countless examples of players taking a discount for various reasons.
Countless? Not sure I agree with you there. And as far as we know, McDavid got as much as he could at that time.

Besides Tom Brady, I'm not sure I can name any athlete who took blatant and significant pay cuts TO HELP THEIR TEAM off the top of my head. Some players might have better contracts than others, doesn't mean they wanted to just give millions away to other players to have better odds at having their name on a cup.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
$13.5mm x 4. Thats my guess. Great deal for him. Meh for Toronto.

I figure this dude will want to play some of his final good seasons in the USA.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
MacGinnon is the guy with no fifty goal seasons no Hart trophy and only one hundred point season who's going on 32 in a year or two right?
youre pretty far off!!

MacKinnon turns 28 this September

also Matthews only has one 100pt season as well!..

while MacKinnon has two others at 97 and 99 points

Reactions: Cypruss

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Willie will be traded. Smart move by him to wait yo see if Matthews gave some money up. Matthews only thinking of himself. Willy needs to do the same

See I'm not sure Willie will be traded because the Leafs are in win now mode, and we know that because every move that Treliving has made points to that.

Tyler Bertuzzi is a win now move

Max Domi for the Leafs is a win now move because he's an upgrade on Kerfoot.

Klingberg over Holl for what was needed which was a D man that can generate offense is a win now move.

Even Ryan Reaves is a win now move.

The Leafs are in win now mode, and when you are in win now mode you don't trade a 40 goal 80+ point

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I`m pretty sure every other team in the league is happy with this deal! If I would be a Leaf-fan, not so much...

This year Matthews and Hintz had identical stats /min played. Hintz is locked up at 8.5M until 2031. Matthews needs 13.5M shortterm and over 14M longterm. The greediest player in the league. Well, next cup in 2065 in Toronto?

Meanwhile, Buffalo's over here like "Our top 2 centers for a combined $14.2M for the next 7 years? Why yes, yes please".

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Should have traded him at the draft IMHO. Either way here we go again. 8 years or not, GTFO with this 13.5 mill shit. He wants to be paid higher than McDavid and Mackinnon? The guy shits himself when the pressure gets slightly ramped up yet we still have to pay him for his Hart year that’s now 2 years removed. Questions around whether he even deserved that Hart should really be brought up in his negotiations.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Meanwhile, Buffalo's over here like "Our top 2 centers for a combined $14.2M for the next 7 years? Why yes, yes please".
New Jersey too!

we have Jack and Nico signed to 15.25m

add in Bratt and Meier for another 16.675m

thats roughly ~32m for four first line forwards!

not bad - especially with the cap going up!!

NJ and Buffalo are well-situated

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
See I'm not sure Willie will be traded because the Leafs are in win now mode, and we know that because every move that Treliving has made points to that.

Tyler Bertuzzi is a win now move

Max Domi for the Leafs is a win now move because he's an upgrade on Kerfoot.

Klingberg over Holl for what was needed which was a D man that can generate offense is a win now move.

Even Ryan Reaves is a win now move.

The Leafs are in win now mode, and when you are in win now mode you don't trade a 40 goal 80+ point
Leafs will give up 400 goals this year

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sergei Fedorov made 28 million $ in 1997-1998 for 43 total games.

The cap is a lie. All it does it benefit owners, not the fans or the players.

The players get 50% of HRR, which I think is a reasonable way to split the pie. Problem for the players is they play a sport that just doesn’t make that much money. The NHL is small potatoes compared to the MLB, NFL, and NBA. That’s why hockey players don’t get paid (and probably never will) like athletes in other “big 4” sports.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The only interest he has is lining his pocket. He's never taken a discount to win nor will he. Feel bad for Leafs they had so much promise right before signing Tavares. Guess this means Nylander is gone soon as he's not taking discount either now after his comments earlier about players taking discounts.
Do you take a discount for your job?

FWI: I totally understand why this pisses fans off, but I’m just looking at it logically. These guys have a certain number of yrs in the league… it is in their best interest to go for the money

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Seems like a fair deal for both sides. Matthews sets himself up for a big payday and Toronto gets all his best years and can decide if they want his twilight years or not based on how the next few go

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Is there a link? I have heard this before on the youtube video of his afternoon fan 590 radio show late June or early July. Does any other "insider" have a guess on what Matthews contract will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad