Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Countless? Not sure I agree with you there. And as far as we know, McDavid got as much as he could at that time.

Besides Tom Brady, I'm not sure I can name any athlete who took blatant and significant pay cuts TO HELP THEIR TEAM off the top of my head. Some players might have better contracts than others, doesn't mean they wanted to just give millions away to other players to have better odds at having their name on a cup.

Quite a few of the Boston players did. McDavid was reported to have asked for less after his agent had a contract in place.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I personally believe stars should get max salary and the middle players should get scraps instead of the current mindset of stars being expected to sacrifice so middle players can get inflated contracts on the open market.

What will be funny is if the ink is barely dry on Auston's new contract and he immediately leaves for wrist surgery.

Hard to make this argument when a star player generally plays 35-40% of the game on the high end. I would also argue that with this mind set I would much rather not have a star player on the team. A team full of 2nd liners being paid like 3rd and 4th liners is much better than a team with 1 or 2 super stars and then nothing else (have seen this first hand and it doesn't work well).

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Countless? Not sure I agree with you there. And as far as we know, McDavid got as much as he could at that time.

Besides Tom Brady, I'm not sure I can name any athlete who took blatant and significant pay cuts TO HELP THEIR TEAM off the top of my head. Some players might have better contracts than others, doesn't mean they wanted to just give millions away to other players to have better odds at having their name on a cup.

Even then, for Brady it was just as much a business decision. If Brady doesn't win all of those championships he isn't signing a $375 million USD with Fox Sports. Matthews isn't getting a deal like that.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Do you take a discount for your job?

FWI: I totally understand why this pisses fans off, but I’m just looking at it logically. These guys have a certain number of yrs in the league… it is in their best interest to go for the money
I did take a discount to distribute to the team that works under me, but I still think everyone has the right to go get what they can without remorse. It's not like the C-suite is going to discount their products just to do us a favor.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I wonder what his demands would be had Dubas not given Matthews the $11.6M x 5 contract straight out of his ELC.

Reactions: dukeofjive

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
3 years feels like just about enough time for Arizona's arena issues to be resolved if by some miracle they don't relocate

Still clinging to the fantasy.
To be fair, I once believed in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. Until I was 6 or so.

As for the deal, anything less than 5 years at that AAV and Treliving should be fired.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
That cap hit should be for 8 years. WTF.
Agree. Mackinnon did it, he's not better than MacKinnon.

Just shows he's in for the money, do not want to commit before one last huge payday in his early 30s. That is where he'll push for max term.

Bad for Toronto, good for him I guess.

Reactions: Strangle

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Just a matter of time until the top players in the league start pressing the issue. Look at the NBA, guys take 1 year deals at max money. Why should you be locking yourself into 8 year deals when the cap is going up every year? Just plain dumb.
Bird in the hand? 2 in the bush? I would rather have 100 million guaranteed than take the chance of getting 50 or 130. Lets face it he wont be able to spend it all anyway unless he is a complete idiot

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Auston Matthews next contract will be Appearance based year to year

He will take 100K per appearance with max earning being 16.4M if team and his agent negotiate full 82 schedule.

50% signing bonuses as well (8.2M secured) + 8.2M earning potential

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This sounds a bit stupid to me considering debilitating injuries can happen at any moment.

I see very low upside in choosing 40M with potential to sign later for say 112M, rather than simply signing for 108M right now with potential to sign later for say 20M.
Matthews came off a 40goal season with a nagging wrist injury who disappeared in rd 2. Doesn’t really sound like a player worth 1 million more then mcdavid…..

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
But, but, but MacKinnon is a playoff warrior::popcorn::popcorn:
Playoffs dont matter.

P/60
A1/60
5v5 pt/60
PP A1/60
G/60

That is how a contract is determined my friend. Term does not matter

14M x 3 is same as 12.6M x 8.

You can't compare Matthews directly to Mackinnon this year b/c Mack had a much better year and was post contract. Leafs management needs to bend over and do it with a smile

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Do you take a discount for your job?

FWI: I totally understand why this pisses fans off, but I’m just looking at it logically. These guys have a certain number of yrs in the league… it is in their best interest to go for the money
Regardless of how much he signs for he will make well north of 100 million dollars. How much $ does a guy actually need? At some point you would hope for a player to care about whether or not his team wins.
If I could get a good haul for him I would trade him

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think 3 years 13.5M is where it's gonna end up. Makes AM34 a UFA in 2027 and will be 29 that summer. That is when he will go to market and maximize his dollars on an 8 year deal:

a) cap will be over $100M by then, he'll get at least 15% of the cap for 8 years.
b) it's the year after McDavid is due for a new deal - agent will surely use it as a measuring stick
c) TOR's cup window could be closed/closing in 4 years
d) Arizona situation will be cleared up by then, either they get a new arena DT or they gone
e) Why commit to 8 years of a 53% marginal tax rate when he can do 3 years and see what happens then? Could be the difference of millions extra in his bank or not.

Whatever way you slice it, TOR is giving AM34 exactly what he wants, otherwise he will just walk for nothing next July and the Leafs literally can not do a thing about it. The NMC that the agent negotiated is brilliant in that regard. Leafs have absolutely no leverage.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Regardless of how much he signs for he will make well north of 100 million dollars. How much $ does a guy actually need? At some point you would hope for a player to care about whether or not his team wins.
If I could get a good haul for him I would trade him
He will earn over Gross 200M from his playing contracts alone. If he was a normal player and signs 12.5M x 8 this deal

~11M on 3 year ELC (ages 19 to 21)
58.17M on 5 year deal 2 (ages 22 to 26)
100M on 8 year deal (ages 27 to 34)

He is at 168.17M going into age 35 year at this pt

35-38 can make 30M and be rigjt at 200M earnings fron his NHL Contract alone

He does not give a f*** about winning at least with the leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad