Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
An almost $90m cap is pretty ambitious to try an make your point. Then what? Do we add what Matthews is going to make in the first 3-5 years of his NEXT contract so we can count apples to apples and talk about an 8 year period for each player?

Going by the approximate $5m/year raise in the cap you predict let's say over let's just call it a 4 year contract that puts the cap at about $108.5m X 15.1% (assuming he maintains value) the next 4 years will be $16.3835m/ year. That gives Matthews a $119,454,000 x 8 year contract bringing his 8 year AAV to $14,931,750 and a CH% 16.9% Vs McKinnon's 15.1%.
Cap can only go up 5% a year maximum, until the MOU expires.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Cap can only go up 5% a year maximum, until the MOU expires.
Then do the math until it makes sense.

This reply was i context of comapring McKinnon and Matthews. The OP was trying to say that at 13.5m that was comparable to McKinnon. As you see I did say that was ambitious. But I took the premise and showed that Matthews short term contract was still far and away more valuable.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
1.) you have no idea if that is true
2.) pasta said he didn’t care how much money he makes and would play for free
3.) mackinnon said he would take a discount

Mcdavid we know did. Because he actually took less than he was offered Whether he will again is unknown.
I trust the guy who is buddies with the owner.
Not sure how this makes sense given Nurse is one of the most overpaid players in the league . Don’t get me wrong he’s a solid player but that’s a nasty contract . I thought even Oiler fans agreed with this .
The contract is bad. You won't find an oiler fan who disagrees. Rnh, Kane, even hyman are value contracts

but ask us. Why are the value? Because the top 2 dawgs dominate games left and right.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Then do the math until it makes sense.

This reply was i context of comapring McKinnon and Matthews. The OP was trying to say that at 13.5m that was comparable to McKinnon. As you see I did say that was ambitious. But I took the premise and showed that Matthews short term contract was still far and away more valuable.
Short term only benefits Matthew’s

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
3 years makes sense for Matthews, because the cap will have gone up like $12m and the Tavares money will be off the books by then. 5 years is better for the team.
There is no guarantee the cap will increase that amount. The financial stability of the league has taken a hit, yet everyone believes whatever comes out of Bettmans mouth. Over the years his predictions have missed more than they hit. Starting the very first year the cap was in place he predicted by 2020 the high end of the cap would be 120 mil. Last year he predicted a 4 mil increase. Walked it back then three weeks before the end of the season said there was still a path to a 4 million increase. Now combine that with broadcasting issues and attendance declines Bettman is likely wrong again. Attendance last year was down compared to the last pre pandemic year and last years included an expansion team attendance in the mix.

This is not to say Toronto can not afford to pay him it will be the implications to the roster. At 13.5 that’s what 16% if todays cap. Ilks are going to have their own opinions but that is too big of a chunk in a cap .when you need to ice 23 and probably need room to replace an injured player. If Mathew’s is injured sure the cap will not count but where do you get the O to replace him until he’s off IR.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Is Matthews aware he is a ghost in the Playoffs?

He has the audacity to ask for 13.5 million dollar a year?

Absolutely unreal.
He is entitled, immature, has a Me me me attitude. If treliving gives in and gives him 13.5 for 3/4 yrs treliving has lost all respect from me. Matthews isn’t even likeable. Atleast ovie, mcdavid, Crosby, drasaitl, mackinnon have one thing in common, their first priority is to win. That isn’t matthews first priority.

jackie boy

Jul 30, 2023
He is entitled, immature, has a Me me me attitude. If treliving gives in and gives him 13.5 for 3/4 yrs treliving has lost all respect from me. Matthews isn’t even likeable. Atleast ovie, mcdavid, Crosby, drasaitl, mackinnon have one thing in common, their first priority is to win. That isn’t matthews first priority.
So in other words he's a normal gen z type.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
So why are you comparing individual players if you’re only interested in team achievements?

Mackinnon was third on his team in scoring the last 2 playoffs, including the cup. You should compare Colorado vs Toronto if you don’t care about individual achievements.
Divine - McK averages 1.3ppg in the play-off's vs. .9 for AM. And this is just my "eye-test", but McK is consistently driving play and one of his team's best players when it matters most and I can't say that for AM.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Is Matthews aware he is a ghost in the Playoffs?

He has the audacity to ask for 13.5 million dollar a year?

Absolutely unreal.
He is just gonna finish making 11.6 per year after this upcoming season... He is 100% asking for atleast 13.5 per year next... most likely even more

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
You can keep saying this but it's not true. MacKinnon just signed for only 700k more than Matthews currently makes. And this was fresh off winning a Cup and he signed for 8 years. Meanwhile, Matthews signed years ago and was only making 700k less than what MacKinnon makes now after his Cup win lmao.

After winning that Cup, MacKinnon had all the leverage to demand either 14 mil per, or a short-term deal. He just helped deliver the Avs a Cup and there was zero way the team could justify not paying him anything, literally. But what did he do? He took 700k more than Matthews. And what is Matthews likely going to do? He'll want about 1 to 1.5 more than MacKinnon -- and half the term -- after winning 1 playoff round in 7 years. It's embarrassing tbh.
Agree 100% with the above, but would also add that McK was coming off one of the biggest bargain contracts of the recent NHL and as such was also in a position to want "max value" because he had been playing under a significant discount for the previous 3+ years.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
It did. The cap went up over 8.5% from the time McDavid signed to when Matthews signed. On average it was going up 2% a year the years prior.
Are we still pretending Cap was raised in the middle of the season?
And it was not going up to 2% on average either.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It really doesn't matter if Toronto overpays him. They need a top center to keep them in the hunt. Plus Tampa, Boston, maybe Florida will decline from here. Atlantic can be had if the leafs get goaltending and Nylander signed.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Really? Darnell Nurse must hate Edmonton then, along with most of the team.

I thought it was guaranteed the rest of the team takes a discount if McDavid did? He would set the example right? If he takes one then everyone else is guaranteed to - that's the narrative we're following?

McDavid allegedly took a discount
Draisaitl didn't (was considered overpaid at the time, 8.5M for a player who was never PPG)
Nurse didn't
Campbell didn't
Puljujarvi didn't
Yamamoto didn't
Hyman didn't
Kane didn't (went to FA assuming he could get more, realized Edmonton was the highest bidder)
Ceci didn't
Kulak didn't
Skinner didn't

The idea of taking a 'discount' only seems to work in low tax states for some reason.
most of the Devils have and they have crazy taxes!

Reactions: xigon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad