Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
How is MacKinnon more decorated? Just be cause he won a cup?

MacKinnon has played 3 seasons more than Matthews and has won:

1 Stanley Cup
1 Lady Byng
1 Calder
5 times selected to NHL All-Star Game
2 times voted to end-of-year All-Star teams (both were Second team)

Matthews has won:

1 Hart
1 Lindsay
2 Rockets
1 Calder
6 times selected to NHL All-Star Game
2 times voted to end-of-year All-Star teams (one First Team, one Second team)

I can see an argument for calling MacKinnon a better player, but I can't see one for ca him more decorated.

Yeah, perhaps I should have been more clear in my post. I meant specifically in reference to the Stanley Cup, as opposed to individual achievements.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's literally zero team leverage. Murray would have gotten his buyout PLUS a new contract at a higher $ amount than what he was getting paid for. That is...if Murray was not BS'ing everyone when he said he was healthy and "Ready to go."

MacKinnon set the bar after he won a Cup. The devil is in the details.
You’re wrong and just being a typical whiny fan.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah, perhaps I should have been more clear in my post. I meant specifically in reference to the Stanley Cup, as opposed to individual achievements.

So why are you comparing individual players if you’re only interested in team achievements?

Mackinnon was third on his team in scoring the last 2 playoffs, including the cup. You should compare Colorado vs Toronto if you don’t care about individual achievements.

Reactions: General Disarray

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yet somehow ~31.5 NHL fan bases disgree with that exact statement.

They didn’t at the time. There were multiple threads devoted to delusional leafs fans getting their hopes up and the one that got away like stamkos.

I think you should look up what revisionist history means

• Haha
Reactions: KevinRedkey

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Your argument is based on your feelings though, it's not a factual argument.. The numbers point in the opposite direction so I don’t know what you want me to say.

At the time of signing their contract:

McDavid: 1.165 PPG
Matthews: 0.989 PPG
Eichel: 0.795PPG

Just mathematically, 0.989PPG is closer to 1.165 than 0.795PPG.

I can’t argue with how you feel so I won’t try to.

So even if you use unfair advantage of comparing 2,5 seasons to 2 seasons of data you still have Matthews landing right in the middle between Eichel and McDavid while defending argument that 12,4 per 8 years was fair for him?

Also this is ignoring fact of increasing scoring in nhl.
Comparing to his peers during that time
Matthews: 20th in PPG
McDavid: 2nd
Eichel : 30th

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No, when it counted Bobrovsky reverted to the sieve he is.
Lol wtf. Bob absolutely dominated and embarrassed your team , like many goalies do every year and you still have the nerve to write stuff like this that's actually crazy

Matthews was coasting high slot waiting for the Marner tap in all series lmfao .

This is where you say he blocked alot of shots though

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So even if you use unfair advantage of comparing 2,5 seasons to 2 seasons of data you still have Matthews landing right in the middle between Eichel and McDavid while defending argument that 12,4 per 8 years was fair for him?

How is that unfair? I'm using the stats they had before the contract was signed or do those not matter anymore? Not everyone has access to the crystal ball you do when negotiating contracts. You negotiate based on what they have done, not what your crystal ball tells you.

You don't think Eichel or McDavid get more if they sign after their third seasons?

I think the Leafs would have got Matthews cheaper if they re-signed him after his second year, but Dubas claimed he learned "if you have time, use it" from Lou so he wanted to wait it out until the player was on a ~50G/50A 100 point pace to sign the contract. After McDavid signed 12.5M x 8 after a 100 point season, of course his demands were reasonable.

You also keep ignoring that Matthews signed on a higher cap than both McDavid and Eichel. So you mislead the conversation in your direction on every turn and still you can't make a good argument.

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Why do people think he spent 67 M on a house lol. Do you guys think he is stupid? This is not the NFL/Basketball where the IQ is lower and a lot of guys come from poverty. AM spent a portion of his money on a house. Stupid dumb a** Youtubers make a dumb video and it's gospel.

He is PPG in the last three years... his issues are largely overblown.

He has one playoff series that is terrible which brings down his numbers.

View attachment 733491

Matthews normally dominates the play, it is his sh% that brings down his numbers. Maybe he is not getting to the right areas of the ice to get his shot off, but that is not what any statistic that tracks that sort of thing says.

The eye test says he also dominates and gets shots off from the right spots, but lacks finishing ability.

Maybe it is because he is nervous and hits more posts than usual or shoots slower so goalies have more time to react, not sure, but he has also played some goalies who have stood on their heads all series, most notably again Columbus, Montreal, and Florida.

Lastly, results matter, but Matthews has been playing great but terrible finishing, that is my takeaway from his playing time. Playoffs should be held against him, but not to the extent some people do.
2017-2023 Playoff Totals
Game 1s - 3g 4a 8 games
Game 2s - 2g 8a 8 games
Game 3s - 3g 3a 8 games
Game 4s - 5g 3a 8 games
Game 5s - 4g 2a 8 games
Game 6s - 4g 0a 6 games
Game 7s - 0g 2a 4 games

Reactions: dukeofjive

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
So why are you comparing individual players if you’re only interested in team achievements?

Mackinnon was third on his team in scoring the last 2 playoffs, including the cup. You should compare Colorado vs Toronto if you don’t care about individual achievements.

My sole point in referencing MacKinnon in the first place was to suggest that players like him and Matthews are essentially peers in terms of being top five centers in the league, and their salaries, by cap percentage, would be roughly comparable. Meaning, if you pay Auston Matthews 13.5 AAV, it's not really that unprecedented when you adjust for the cap increase when his contract kicks in.

It wasn't intended to get into some granular comparison of individual achievements or team achievements.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Why do people think he spent 67 M on a house lol. Do you guys think he is stupid? This is not the NFL/Basketball where the IQ is lower and a lot of guys come from poverty. AM spent a portion of his money on a house. Stupid dumb a** Youtubers make a dumb video and it's gospel.

2017-2023 Playoff Totals
Game 1s - 3g 4a 8 games
Game 2s - 2g 8a 8 games
Game 3s - 3g 3a 8 games
Game 4s - 5g 3a 8 games
Game 5s - 4g 2a 8 games
Game 6s - 4g 0a 6 games
Game 7s - 0g 2a 4 games

Not sure what you're quoting me for...

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Matthew’s has a full no move clause. Leafs can’t trade him. They either give in to his contract demands or he can walk away July 1, 2024 and get what he wants from another club.
It's very easy for us to say "don't maximize your earnings and take a huge discount" because to us the money he makes is unfathomable. However, if someone were to ask you to take a cut on your pay for the company's sake, would you do it?

It's all relative. I've found the more money that I make the more my lifestyle follows that. When I bought my current house I was making about 5x less than I do now and my wife was making 1/2 of what she currently does. As our incomes have grown our expenses have also grown at a similar pace. I'm sure it's the same for guys making millions.

Reactions: The90 and Fatass

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
It's very easy for us to say "don't maximize your earnings and take a huge discount" because to us the money he makes is unfathomable. However, if someone were to ask you to take a cut on your pay for the company's sake, would you do it?

It's all relative. I've found the more money that I make the more my lifestyle follows that. When I bought my current house I was making about 5x less than I do now and my wife was making 1/2 of what she currently does. As our incomes have grown our expenses have also grown at a similar pace. I'm sure it's the same for guys making millions.
i agree with this but every other team is finding a way to lock up their star players at more competitive rates.

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
In Oiler circles, McDavid and Drai are already telling teammates they want to win there and are willing to take a discount. You need that type of culture.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Clearly because McKinnon's individual achievements have led to greater team success....why is that difficult to grasp?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

The cap went up 4 million. The percentage is different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad