Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Never understood why people assumed either of those things. Tavares' career high before going to the Leafs was 86 points during his peak, so why would he suddenly have another 10 to 15 points in him as he nears age 30? I said it literally at the time of signing that you'd maybe see a bump of 4 or 5 points at best, but he simply wasn't "dynamic" enough to be anywhere close to a 100 point guy.

As for the playoffs, why? He was a perennial choker for the Islanders. He literally had ONE good series (versus the Panthers) where he had like 5 goals and 9 points in 6 games. The rest of his Islander playoff career was exactly what you've seen from him as a Leaf.

Just seemed like a bunch of wishful thinking on Leaf fans behalf to believe the above stuff when he'd not shown he was capable of that prior to the signing.

Nugent Hoptkins, Tkachuk and Robertson all had 100+ point seasons and they aren't dynamic players (i.e puck carriers who can slash through a defense) either. Tavares' prime, league scoring was well down compared to now. If his prime was right now, he easily could have had a 100 point season on the Leaves.

He was revered as an Islander, and then hated when he signed with the leafs.

Your post is revisionist. The Leafs got a PPG, 1st line center for nothing but cap space. You make that signing everytime. An unforseen pandemic f***ed up the salary cap big time, and caused the signing to turn out worse than it shold have been

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If you do the math, let's say Matthews does 13.5M X 3, add that to his existing contract.

He basically signed an 8 year, 12.34M contract. He would still be paid less than McDavid with the same term despite signing the contract on a higher cap.

However, because he's separating his UFA and RFA years, people are out to bash Matthews.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Really? Darnell Nurse must hate Edmonton then, along with most of the team.

I thought it was guaranteed the rest of the team takes a discount if McDavid did? He would set the example right? If he takes one then everyone else is guaranteed to - that's the narrative we're following?

McDavid allegedly took a discount
Draisaitl didn't (was considered overpaid at the time, 8.5M for a player who was never PPG)
Nurse didn't
Campbell didn't
Puljujarvi didn't
Yamamoto didn't
Hyman didn't
Kane didn't (went to FA assuming he could get more, realized Edmonton was the highest bidder)
Ceci didn't
Kulak didn't
Skinner didn't

The idea of taking a 'discount' only seems to work in low tax states for some reason.
Holland is an idiot. He navigated the transition to the cap masterfully and has been living off that rep for 20 years.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Nugent Hoptkins, Tkachuk and Robertson all had 100+ point seasons and they aren't dynamic players (i.e puck carriers who can slash through a defense) either. Tavares' prime, league scoring was well down compared to now. If his prime was right now, he easily could have had a 100 point season on the Leaves.

Your post is revisionist. The Leafs got a PPG, 1st line center for nothing but cap space. You make that signing everytime. An unforseen pandemic f***ed up the salary cap big time, and caused the signing to turn out worse than it shold have been
Cap Space is one of the most important things in team building. There’s a reason a Vézina winning goalie coming off a great season was moved for nothing and the current Norris winner off a historic season will likely be shipped away for a low return.

The leafs were better having Kadri at 4.5m as a 2C with 7.5m to get another top player. They’re way too top heavy and poorly constructed to win.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Cap Space is one of the most important things in team building. There’s a reason a Vézina winning goalie coming off a great season was moved for nothing and the current Norris winner off a historic season will likely be shipped away for a low return.

The leafs were better having Kadri at 4.5m as a 2C with 7.5m to get another top player. They’re way too top heavy and poorly constructed to win.

Right, the cap should have went up several more million dollars than it has, that is just bad luck with the pandemic.

As for Karlsson, he had a great offensive season but teams know he's not a Makar, Fox etc. It's just as much value with the player than it is with his cap hit, imo.

Fleury, same deal. Vegas did not see the value in what it would take to get him re-signed, they let him go. Moreso than they couldn't flat out find a way to fit him in under the cap and make a move to do it. THey just won the cup with Adin Hill as their goalie.

To me bottom line is, if you have opportunity to sign a player like Tavares at age 28 for just cap space, you have to do it. agree to disagree

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Agree, but I dont see what the agent part means. Im not trying to be a dick, genuinely confused
Well, he can help Matthews with signing a two year deal so they can clear the table for the summer of 26. I know Tavares will be off the books and Marner hasn't signed yet, but I want the Leafs to be ready to have a run at McDavid if he were to choose free agency.

Reactions: Nothingbutglass

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Well, he can help Matthews with signing a two year deal so they can clear the table for the summer of 26. I know Tavares will be off the books and Marner hasn't signed yet, but I want the Leafs to be ready to have a run at McDavid if he were to choose free agency.
got it. thanks. makes sense now

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
If you do the math, let's say Matthews does 13.5M X 3, add that to his existing contract.

He basically signed an 8 year, 12.34M contract. He would still be paid less than McDavid with the same term despite signing the contract on a higher cap.

However, because he's separating his UFA and RFA years, people are out to bash Matthews.
He reminds me of Anson Carter when he was in Edmonton. Carter used to be more into luxury stuff outside of the game. Going as far as retrofitting his vehicle seats to LV seats lol. These guys like hockey, but they don't die for it. I don't see the Leafs ever going all the way with him being the top dawg.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Yet somehow ~31.5 NHL fan bases disgree with that exact statement.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Even if the term is short they are in win now mode and he will be out of his prime by the end of it. Can't really hate that

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yet somehow ~31.5 NHL fan bases disgree with that exact statement.

I mean it’s very easy to say that in hindsight with the cap stagnation and knowing now Tavares performed, pretty good but not great.

At the time, I bet many fans of other teams would have done it and been ok with it

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I mean it’s very easy to say that in hindsight with the cap stagnation and knowing now Tavares performed, pretty good but not great.

At the time, I bet many fans of other teams would have done it and been ok with it
So Leafs beat out other teams to sign a present day anchor and other teams thank the hockey Gods they lost out. Congrats I guess. Hasn't really helped the Leafs though.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

That's not really the case -- I'm a neutral, at the time every hockey person I knew was wondering what the Leafs were doing paying that much for a forward they didn't need, we were all thinking it'd made a lot more sense for everyone if he just stayed in New York. He fit way better with the team there and like you said, everyone loved him as an Islander. Of course we thought Toronto would at least win a few series' with him, but at the same time I think everyone could see that at the time the defense wasn't even close to where it needed to be if TOR actually wanted to be a contender. Obvious to everyone the team was leaning too heavily on Freddie.

Also, I feel like Tavares basically did what he was supposed to -- he's provided leadership while still maintaining his point a game through what's now year 5 / early 30s, that's pretty impressive. Imo can't really expect him to do much better than that, reg season at least.

Your previous point about COVID / cap unexpectedly becoming flat is definitely fair, but I still think it was an incredibly irresponsible signing. Imo same level as Chicago's long term deal w Seth Jones, everyone could see the deal didn't really make sense for Chi, same idea for Tavares joining the Leafs

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Signing an 8 x $12.34M contract after 3 years where you were a 43 goal, 79 point, per 82 game player for 3 years is pretty ridiculous too.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Signing an 8 x $12.34M contract after 3 years where you were a 43 goal, 79 point, per 82 game player for 3 years is pretty ridiculous too.

Those are actually very elite numbers for an ELC contract.

Not many players average an 80 point pace from a rookie to their third season coming in as a teenager.

When players are getting 8M+ for averaging 40 points among their ELC years, it’s actually pretty justified.

Draisaitl averaged 59 points per 82 games for 3 years prior to his contract and got 8.5M x 8 - on a lower cap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad