Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Good fit for the Bruins. They'll have room next year and can give Matthews 13.5x3. Good stopgap to give Sweeney time to figure out how to develop a C while still having a contending roster. Matthews can then get his big bag in Vegas, LA, wherever he wants to end up when he still is in prime.

If the Leafs apparently can’t put together a winning team around Matthews at $13.5m, what makes anyone think another team can?

I don’t understand how these two thoughts can be reconciled by simply changing the logo on the jersey

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Nah man. The root to all of Toronto's cap problems is Kyle Dubas (ie the guy who agreed to pay the contracts)
Signing Tavares is the root cause. Because he almost immediately became the teams #2C when Matthews emerged. And he obviously was not going to take less than Tavares because he was the better player (or at least was going to be very soon). And then Marner could also make the claim for double digits because he had actually outperformed Matthews in terms of stats.

If you fellas think Lou could've gotten Matthews and Marner signed to 8 year deals on single digits, lol. Doesn't really matter who the GM was, because signing Tavares probably came from above the GM as well.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Imagine saying that a worker shows leadership by allowing their employer to underpay them.

Capitalism has messed with y'all's brains. Yes let's hate athletes because the owners are all cheap as hell.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
You’re getting 5 more years with Mackinnon and he got paid $1 million less then what Matthews wants. How do rationalize giving Matthews that kind of contract? It’s just a selfish ask.
You justify it by him being on the team instead of walking away in free agency or getting a fraction of the value in a trade.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You justify it by him being on the team instead of walking away in free agency or getting a fraction of the value in a trade.
They should’ve figured that out before they got in a situation where the ultimatum was keeping him and crippling their team or trading him and figuring out a plan without him while he had more then rental value.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Meh, at 6.7, Nylander was at the highest end of "fairly paid" imo. Agree that he was undertermed.
6.962 almost 7................but I do agree he was the most reasonable, and earned his pay accordingly.
Leafs got messed over by Dubas getting played by the player agents.......no way does Lou Lam cave if he had still been there.

Reactions: PainForShane

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So why does nobody clown on Tkachuk and Barkov for being playoff failures with no heart like everybody does for AM and Mitchy boy

They play for an irrelevant team... both of their stats are worse than the other two... Bob dragged them to the finals.

Your nicknames say it all really.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They should’ve figured that out before they got in a situation where the ultimatum was keeping him and crippling their team or trading him and figuring out a plan without him while he had more then rental value.
We all knew this would happen last year, as we headed to this scenario.......stupid on their part, and now a brand new GM has to deal with it.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
6.962 almost 7................but I do agree he was the most reasonable, and earned his pay accordingly.
Leafs got messed over by Dubas getting played by the player agents.......no way does Lou Lam cave if he had still been there.
Had Lou signed Tavares to that deal, there's no way he could've justified not giving Matthews and Marner something close to what they got. Maybe you can shave off a few hundred k. But the standard was set when Tavares signed.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No. You don’t look at the $ value as the measuring stick, you look at the cap hit %.

And 13.5 is just over 15% of the cap at 87.5 which is about right for a rocket/hart winner in a high tax market

The term is brutal though
13.5 x 3 is nuts. I don’t see why he would do that. The term is so small that squeezing 1.5-2.5 million over 3 years isn’t worth the headache when you have 65 in the bank.
Personally I would prefer 5 years to 8

He isn’t healthy. Or incredibly fast. I have no idea how well he will age at 32.

Most people wish Tavares only had 5 years. I wonder what’s the best move.

Matthews from 27-31 is probably his best years. Might cut bait at 32.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Had Lou signed Tavares to that deal, there's no way he could've justified not giving Matthews and Marner something close to what they got. Maybe you can shave off a few hundred k. But the standard was set when Tavares signed.
Could be................maybe Lou doesn't sign Tavares and keeps his build in house?
There are a few scenarios......all moot now.

Reactions: PainForShane

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Could be................maybe Lou doesn't sign Tavares and keeps his build in house?
There are a few scenarios......all moot now.
I think it would be foolish to think signing Tavares was a choice for whoever was the GM. Pretty sure that came from the top, and by this I mean even above Shanahan. The way Tavares was hyped up by the media it was obvious they wanted him badly. And have obviously made him the captain since.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
And 13.5 is just over 15% of the cap at 87.5 which is about right for a rocket/hart winner in a high tax market

The term is brutal though
13.5 x 3 is nuts. I don’t see why he would do that. The term is so small that squeezing 1.5-2.5 million over 3 years isn’t worth the headache when you have 65 in the bank.
Personally I would prefer 5 years to 8

He isn’t healthy. Or incredibly fast. I have no idea how well he will age at 32.

Most people wish Tavares only had 5 years. I wonder what’s the best move.

Matthews from 27-31 is probably his best years. Might cut bait at 32.

I think you answered your own question with your obsession

We as Leafs fans need to say goodbye to any SC aspirations then. He doesn’t give you 13.5M worth of value in the playoffs. And Leafs can not afford to surround the core with better talent. As a fan, this is very disappointing. I don’t see a cup happening with these inflated contracts.

Reactions: TS Quint

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Signing Tavares is the root cause. Because he almost immediately became the teams #2C when Matthews emerged. And he obviously was not going to take less than Tavares because he was the better player (or at least was going to be very soon). And then Marner could also make the claim for double digits because he had actually outperformed Matthews in terms of stats.

If you fellas think Lou could've gotten Matthews and Marner signed to 8 year deals on single digits, lol. Doesn't really matter who the GM was, because signing Tavares probably came from above the GM as well.

A few things:

1) Fair point about JT, maybe it came from above -- if it did, Dubas did a good job bringing the value down to 11m. If I remember right, JT left a few million on the table, pretty sure he had another higher offer (SJ maybe?), but JT was a UFA still at the back edge of his prime, those guys always get overpaid. We don't know that ownership was behind that signing (I doubt that's the case, but it's possible), but if so Dubas did well getting JT at a lower AAV than what he would've gotten elsewhere.

But I don't think ownership was behind the signing, my guess is that if it was an ownership call that Leafs would've made JT the best financial offer, which they didn't do. Neither of us really knows.

2) I don't think most people are realistically saying Leafs should've gotten AM34 and Mitch to sign for single digits AAVs (well, to be fair it looks like some ppl are arguing that, sorry about that). Personally I think the bigger issue is the term. With a cap that increases, the term matters much more than the salary, you'd expect an RFA (yes, an RFA) to only be able to negotiate one or the other. Here, both Auston and Mitch were able to negotiate both. While they were RFAs.

This has not happened in any other team in the entire league. The Leafs owned both these guys' rights, why did they give in to everything. I place that blame 100% on Dubas and no one else.

3) To your point about Lou, Lou is not only cheap, he generally builds his team from the net out. Look at what he did in Jersey and what he's doing now with NYI. He also does not care at all. Meaning if mgmt told Lou to sign Tavares, Lou probably would've told then to go to hell and then used the cap to sign guys like Spencer Knight, Chris Tanev, Adam Pelech. Probably not those exact players but you get the idea. If Lou were in charge of the team, there's no way he would've prioritized signing JT over a proper 1D and / or starting goalie. Those pajama boy memes never would've happened. He's also a good negotiator and he would've got AM34 and MM either at the full 8 year term, at a lower cap hit, or both. See how Yzerman got exactly what he wanted with Debrincat, Lou's a better negotiator than Stevie Y.

Either way Leafs as a team are not built correctly, no 1D, no long term goalie, no cap space. I'm a neutral (Zona), but completely understand why Leafs fans would be upset at Matthews (or any of the core) demanding to be the highest paid core in the league. The roster has too many holes for an actual cup contender, from the outside this whole thing just seems weird

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
let say he does not extend and goes to UFA next summer what do you think he gets? probably 13-14 range probably.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Any news on what Matthews wants for his contract? I am aware that Kypreos guess is 13.5. I wonder if any numbers have leaked from the negotiations,

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If the Leafs apparently can’t put together a winning team around Matthews at $13.5m, what makes anyone think another team can?

I don’t understand how these two thoughts can be reconciled by simply changing the logo on the jersey
Its a different team. Bruins would plug him next to Pasta and have McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Ullmark/Swayman defense behind him.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
3) To your point about Lou, Lou is not only cheap, he generally builds his team from the net out. Look at what he did in Jersey and what he's doing now with NYI. He also does not care at all. Meaning if mgmt told Lou to sign Tavares, Lou probably would've told then to go to hell and then used the cap to sign guys like Spencer Knight, Chris Tanev, Adam Pelech. Probably not those exact players but you get the idea. If Lou were in charge of the team, there's no way he would've prioritized signing JT over a proper 1D and / or starting goalie. Those pajama boy memes never would've happened. He's also a good negotiator and he would've got AM34 and MM either at the full 8 year term, at a lower cap hit, or both. See how Yzerman got exactly what he wanted with Debrincat, Lou's a better negotiator than Stevie Y.

:biglaugh:

You're very wrong. Not only did Lou try to sign Tavares, he tried to sign Tavares for more than the Leafs got him for.

You made this whole theory of the kind of person Lou is that's actually the opposite of what he did. :laugh:

Lou was the GM of the Islanders. He initially offered Tavares 11M X 8 (Lou would never!) and then increased it to 11.25M X 8.

Stop making up who you think Lou is when he did literally the exact opposite of the wall of text you've written.

Reactions: Voight and The90

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The big question is, how many years does Leafs management believe Matthews can bring the cup back to Canada?

If Open book Brad can offer open cheques to Huberdeau then 15M for Matthews looks like a bargain to him.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
People thought JT could be a 90-100 pt elite 1C who would be as good as Matthews
But the Leafs had Matthews, plus their other young core to lock up. Tavares was the ultimate overpriced luxury item for the Leafs and they splurged instead of giving him a "take it or leave it" offer of 9.5 per to come home to Toronto. The following summer, Kucherov wins the Hart and scores 126 points and signs for 9.5 x 8. The Leafs have been a clown show with contracts ever since Tavares. But continuing down the same losing path is insanity. It's time to start challenging these players to see how much they value the Leafs vs. the paycheck.

Yes let's hate athletes because the owners are all cheap as hell.
You do realize there's a hard cap in the NHL, yes? If there wasn't, MLSE would overpay for every hot free agent and our payroll would be 120 million a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad