Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
mcdavid basically score 2 ppg during the playoffs id say he's not the problem for the oilers. can't really say Matthews has the same presence in the playoffs.

More goals were scored against the Oilers when McDavid was on the ice at ES than the Oilers scored goals.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sucks for Toronto, if the rumours are true.

At that AAV, you need to get a long term deal. At 4 years, or less, that hurts.
Not even McDavid who signed for simliar in the 16+% of the cap, signed less than 8 years. If Matthews pulls this off again with less term than the asking price 16+% of the current cap, he will again walk away with one of the most player friendly deals the NHL has seen. All for a guy that has played on playoff 100+ point teams, that has 44 points in 50 playoff games and a lone series win in 7 playoffs and even that one, one can argue TB lost that series had Vasilesky played better rather than Toronto won it. To me it would be a bad contract for a player that has not shown up as an elite player in the playoffs or willing to even make a long term commitment to the Organization or take a team discount to allow the team a better chance to win with more depth.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Sucks for Toronto, if the rumours are true.

At that AAV, you need to get a long term deal. At 4 years, or less, that hurts.
I don’t think the Leafs nor Matthews want an 8 year term . 5 years ( plus this coming one ) takes him through his prime /seems to be the preferable route imo . Av will get leaped by several guys in the coming years as the cap spikes

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I don’t think the Leafs nor Matthews want an 8 year term . 5 years ( plus this coming one ) takes him through his prime /seems to be the preferable route imo . Av will get leaped by several guys in the coming years as the cap spikes

You don’t think Toronto would want term?

Yeah, the Oilers duo will demand more than whatever Matthews gets, so you can bet their agents are watching this situation closely.

Both those players have signed long term deals in the past, so they may be willing to do it again though.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
McDavid should be worth about $20M in the looming Cap forecasts.
Draisatl and MacKinnon are probably worth about $17M.
Matthews is therefore at about $16M.

... if these guys take less than those numbers, they are just being "nice" and love the city they are playing in and are trying to sacrifice to help their teams win. MacKinnon basically already did that. The other guys... it's up to them. You can't really fault them either direction... money or sacrifice-for-team are both valid approaches.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
McDavid should be worth about $20M in the looming Cap forecasts.
Draisatl and MacKinnon are probably worth about $17M.
Matthews is therefore at about $16M.

... if these guys take less than those numbers, they are just being "nice" and love the city they are playing in and are trying to sacrifice to help their teams win. MacKinnon basically already did that. The other guys... it's up to them. You can't really fault them either direction... money or sacrifice-for-team are both valid approaches.
The problem is even though these superstars are more talented than most, they don’t impact the game like an NBA player does. Takes a full team to win. Edmonton should be winning cups with 2 of the best players in the world. Also factor in hockey is a contact sport, where injuries are almost certain. Then you got a $15 million dollar guy injured. Better to go the way of a Stlouis where they had good nhlers but no real superstars.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There is simply no precedent that The Leafs want a lesser term deal.

Just off the top of my head teams often get their star players to commit to the max term to lower the AVV and players commit to the longer term for their teams. Matthews would be an outlier, preferring money to get paid again in less than Max term years to winning or loyalty as a priority is not often seen in hockey. Maybe Trevling can drive a harder bargain than Dubas who is best a pushover in negotiations to get him to sign 8 years. For the Leafs sake, they should hope Treliving can make this happen.

Crosby
Malkin
Ovie
Rantanen
Mackinnon
Aho
Barzal
Tkachuk
Gaudreau

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
More goals were scored against the Oilers when McDavid was on the ice at ES than the Oilers scored goals.
When all else fails, go to Shot blocks, Defense, etc. McDavid is not a Selke player, Why don't people talk about how lethal he is on the PP on top of his production? Something 34 can't seem to be great on? Connor PK's too

The fact is that Matthews production drops under reg season production compared to the big boys. Their production goes up in the playoffs. Goaltending affects the D numbers as well. Did you watch Skinner sh** the bed after a good reg season.

Auston is going to get his ask. He has all of the power. You have to still produce and outshine everybody in the playoffs though. People always flip flop on him. He doesn't put up monster points, but he is apparently elite defensively. Is he a selke player? Is he worth 13.5 for the production he puts up? Is he Bergeron like on D, which should up his salary to #1 in the NHL?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
When all else fails, go to Shot blocks, Defense, etc. McDavid is not a Selke player, Why don't people talk about how lethal he is on the PP on top of his production? Something 34 can't seem to be great on? Connor PK's too

The fact is that Matthews production drops under reg season production compared to the big boys. Their production goes up in the playoffs. Goaltending affects the D numbers as well. Did you watch Skinner sh** the bed after a good reg season.

Auston is going to get his ask. He has all of the power. You have to still produce and outshine everybody in the playoffs though. People always flip flop on him. He doesn't put up monster points, but he is apparently elite defensively. Is he a selke player? Is he worth 13.5 for the production he puts up? Is he Bergeron like on D, which should up his salary to #1 in the NHL?

Where did I say he’s a Selke guy? All I said was after McDavid is done playing his ES minutes, his team is more likely to be down one goal than they are to be up one goal. He could probably score 170 points if they let him sit at the opponents blueline all game, it would just come at a price of allowing 180 the other way. McDavid could be the worst defensive player in the league if he wants as long as the offense he produced is greater than the goals he gives up, that wasn’t the case at ES last playoffs. Might be one of the best PP players of all time though, no arguing that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why wouldn't Toronto want to lock up their franchise center for as long as possible? I can't think of a single franchise who was like, "nah, we don't want to sign our best player for as long as possible" when they were smack dab in their prime.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
There is simply no precedent that The Leafs want a lesser term deal.

Just off the top of my head teams often get their star players to commit to the max term to lower the AVV and players commit to the longer term for their teams. Matthews would be an outlier, preferring money to get paid again in less than Max term years to winning or loyalty as a priority is not often seen in hockey. Maybe Trevling can drive a harder bargain than Dubas who is best a pushover in negotiations to get him to sign 8 years. For the Leafs sake, they should hope Treliving can make this happen.

Crosby
Malkin
Ovie
Rantanen
Mackinnon
Aho
Barzal
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
If he extends for 5 years that would be 13 years as a Leaf . I think given his injury history they might gamble that his game goes South in his mid 30s . I’d be totally fine w 8 years but doesn’t seem like either side is gunning for it . Didn’t Malkin and Crosby initially extend 5 years ? I think a fair contract is roughly the same cap percentage as what Mack just signed for ( with rising cap the actual number would obviously be higher ) .

Why wouldn't Toronto want to lock up their franchise center for as long as possible? I can't think of a single franchise who was like, "nah, we don't want to sign our best player for as long as possible" when they were smack dab in their prime.
13 years isn’t long enough ? ( if he extends 5 years ) .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If he extends for 5 years that would be 13 years as a Leaf . I think given his injury history they might gamble that his game goes South in his mid 30s . I’d be totally fine w 8 years but doesn’t seem like either side is gunning for it . Didn’t Malkin and Crosby initially extend 5 years ? I think a fair contract is roughly the same cap percentage as what Mack just signed for ( with rising cap the actual number would obviously be higher ) .

13 years isn’t long enough ? ( if he extends 5 years ) .
Crosby and Malkin's first contract after the ELC was 5 years, but their next was 8+ (Crosby's was like 13 because of the CBA allowing for it back then). No "franchise" players have signed for less than 8 on their second post ELC deals that I can remember.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Crosby and Malkin's first contract after the ELC was 5 years, but their next was 8+ (Crosby's was like 13 because of the CBA allowing for it back then). No "franchise" players have signed for less than 8 on their second post ELC deals that I can remember.
There’s a first time for everything. I’d be surprised if they go 8 years but guess we’ll see .

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Where did I say he’s a Selke guy? All I said was after McDavid is done playing his ES minutes, his team is more likely to be down one goal than they are to be up one goal. He could probably score 170 points if they let him sit at the opponents blueline all game, it would just come at a price of allowing 180 the other way. McDavid could be the worst defensive player in the league if he wants as long as the offense he produced is greater than the goals he gives up, that wasn’t the case at ES last playoffs. Might be one of the best PP players of all time though, no arguing that.
And previous season he was +15 which is 15 more than Matthew whole PO career +/-.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
And previous season he was +15 which is 15 more than Matthew whole PO carrer +/-.

Yeah his 21-22 season was amazing, they should try to figure out what went right there and do it again instead of having him tread water against his matchups like every other playoff run he’s had. If they can get the ‘22 McDavid at ES with the ‘23 McDavid on the PP they could be a cup threat.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Yeah his 21-22 season was amazing, they should try to figure out what went right there and do it again instead of having him tread water against his matchups like every other playoff run he’s had. If they can get the ‘22 McDavid at ES with the ‘23 McDavid on the PP they could be a cup threat.

If they can, I think they should add the '21 McDavid to that too.

Top line of McD-McD-McD that would be fun to watch. Would make the hypothetical Sedin-Sedin-Sedin line look like utter hacks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The funny part is the players get the same dollars regardless of the pie whether some get more or less. So the stars are just milking the last cent from the 4th liners wallet.
That reason makes me skeptical that there actually is a push. I'm pretty sure the only needed motivation to push salaries up is from the player and his agent. I guess it makes the player look less selfish if they claim that the NHLPA has a hand in it, like there is some way that it is a victory of players over owners.

Reactions: Killer Orcas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad