Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
So you are saying McDavid is not worth that price tag?

cool man.
mcdavid basically score 2 ppg during the playoffs id say he's not the problem for the oilers. can't really say Matthews has the same presence in the playoffs.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
So unfortunate for the Leafs that they haven't realized that all this guy cares about is getting paid the most amount of money that he can. Winning is not a priority and they are going to commit this kind of money to a perennial loser.
Getting paid is basically every player's main priority.

Sakic and Fedorov sure didn't care about winning when they chased the money from the Rangers and Hurricanes.

If you offered any NHL player the option of a league minimum salary with a Stanley Cup, or making 13 million, 100% of the players would take the 13 million.

Reactions: BLONG7

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London

Sakic and Fedorov sure didn't care about winning when they chased the money from the Rangers and Hurricanes.

If you offered any NHL player the option of a league minimum salary with a Stanley Cup, or making 13 million, 100% of the players would take the 13 million.
There's a thing called a salary cap nowadays and there is some room between league min and max aav. We've seen players on competitive teams take team friendly deals to field a better team and we've seen what happens when your core is full of greedy money hungry players.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
And why's that? How is that number justified? Who is it compared to?
So, I guess this your thread to gatekeep?

mcdavid basically score 2 ppg during the playoffs id say he's not the problem for the oilers. can't really say Matthews has the same presence in the playoffs.
...and yet the results are basically the same. Must be a team game or something.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
So, I guess this your thread to gatekeep?

sddefault.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Great, now we can put Eichel in Phil Kessel's calibre.

A player who needs to be on a better team to contribute. If he wants to elevate himself, maybe he can show up in the regular season, or be the best player on his team.

He was outscored at even-strength, in goals, and in the second, third and fourth rounds by a player making half his salary.

He really racked up those powerplay points against the Western conference's worst playoff team - the WC2 Winnipeg Jets. I'll give him credit for that.
Eichel is comparable to Kessel now. I think you are missing the goalpost again.

As for Eichel moving away from Buffalo to win a cup, do you really think he would win one in Buffalo on the teams he played on. Obcourse he needed to play on a better team around him to give him a chance to win a cup. And you know what he did it. Matthews for all the good teams he has played on, has never come close. You inaccurately stated Eichel moved to a powerhouse Cup finals team. DId you know VGK did not even make the playoffs last year. But with EIchel leading them in scoring in the regular season playing only 67 games, and again leading them in scoring in the playoffs VGK were able to win the cup in his 2nd year there. Matthews has never done this in his entire career of playoff caliber teams.

So let's speak to the topic I responded to you when you cited Nylander as his playoffs comparable. He is not. All Matthews has proven is he can is lead a team to the playoffs and lose in the first rd, or occasional lose in the 2nd rd. Facts matter when discussing contracts. Can you name in the list who is the worst playoff perfotmer of the comparables below? Without saying it's Nylander or moving the goalposts again.

Eichel first playoffs, 22 GP, 26 points, won a Stanley Cup.
McDavid 49GP, 75 points. 4 playoff series wins, 1 Conference final.
Mackinnon 77GP, 100 points, Stanley Cup
Draisaitl 49GP, 77 points 4 playoff series wins, 1 Conference final.
Matthews 50GP, 44 points, 1 series win

Is this not accurate?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

That’s just a ridiculous statement. League minimum vs. $13M…. ???? Come on.

What would the percentage for $10M and a Cup ($3M more for team to utilize) vs. $13M be?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Great, now we can put Eichel in Phil Kessel's calibre.

A player who needs to be on a better team to contribute. If he wants to elevate himself, maybe he can show up in the regular season, or be the best player on his team.

He was outscored at even-strength, in goals, and in the second, third and fourth rounds by a player making half his salary.

He really racked up those powerplay points against the Western conference's worst playoff team - the WC2 Winnipeg Jets. I'll give him credit for that.
Has Matthews ever been the best player on the team in the playoffs?
If anything Marner is the top dog in that room Matthews is the passenger roaming the high slot for a easy wrister far from any contact in a soft erea of the ice

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

In all fairness, last year Giordano (also Leafs) signed a 2-year deal at basically league minimum to move to a contender. He wasn't going to make 13m, but he's still productive, I wouldn't be surprised if he were able to get 3-4m if he re-signed in Seattle. We've also established Nate McKinnon left money on the table because after he won the cup, he stayed at 12.6m rather than get to 13 or 14m which his GM surely would've paid. Plenty of other examples of older players voluntarily taking low deals to try to win a cup (Thornton, Marleau, Bergeron immediately come to mind, there are surely others)

If your point is that money matters, of course it does. If your argument is that every player always chases every last dollar in every deal (which is closer to what you said), that is clearly not the case and partly why Leafs fans are rightly upset at Auston Matthews at this particular time (and in this thread)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
You're writing too much text while ignoring the question.

It doesn't matter what he did since he signed it, what was his production when he signed it?

Eichel is the Kevin Durant of the NHL. He can win a championship as long as he joins a team that can win without him.
Eichel is no where near Kevin durant

Durant was 2nd in mvp from like 2010 to 2015 3 or 4 times

He was an undisputed top 2 player in the league from 2010 to 2015 and then top 3 from 2016-2019

Eichel has zero accolades and seasons being that level

I dont think hockey has a Durant. An all time great superstar who got fed up with not winning and left to an easier rpute

Ovechkin could have been a version of durant if he left The caps in 2017 *via trade to the pens for a cup but he got his cup with the caps in 2018

Reactions: KevinRedkey

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Haha good luck with that Leafs. What a bag of dicks.

Also amusing to watch this one guy argue in bad faith and move goalposts. Can tell he prefers the name on the back to crest on the front. Pathetic.
Hahaha the best part is Leafs fans saying pay him whatever or he deserves it lmfao

100%. The guy's decently active on the main boards, every time I see him I start laughing as well bc it always ends up being same thing. Always starts with some borderline unreasonable statement, during the course of the argument he pretends not to understand basic things (here one example is "if AM makes more money then that is less money available to the GM, so AM is partly to blame for Leafs teams not having more depth"), writes long posts with the goal of misdirecting, and at some point he always says something so ridiculous there's no choice BUT to laugh.

Personally in this thread I think the best part is the totally serious Eichel / Phil Kessel comparison he keeps bringing up (I have literally never heard that before haha) but that is just me. He says something like this at least once a thread. Personally I'm glad to read his posts, he makes these threads more amusing haha

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

He was an undisputed top 2 player in the league from 2010 to 2015 and then top 3 from 2016-2019

I dont think hockey has a Durant. An all time great superstar who got fed up with not winning and left to an easier rpute

Ovechkin could have been a version of durant if he left The caps in 2017 *via trade to the pens for a cup but he got his cup with the caps in 2018

Ray Bourque. But also, in hockey this happens closer to the end of the career, not close to someone's prime like Kevin Durant still is (I think?). Hockey feels like more of a team sport in that way, ppl want to win cups but generally would prefer to win cups with the players they've played with for a few years (if that's an option)

Reactions: hamzarocks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Has Matthews ever been the best player on the team in the playoffs?
If anything Marner is the top dog in that room Matthews is the passenger roaming the high slot for a easy wrister far from any contact in a soft erea of the ice

Since this made me curious...

17 - Tied for scoring lead, twice as many goals as anyone else, +3 at 5v5 tied for lead
18 - Two points in seven, ooph, -4 at 5v5 about as bad as it gets
19 - Leads team in scoring, over twice as many goals as anyone else, -1 at 5v5
20 - Leads team in scoring, tied for goals lead, first playoffs as over ppg, -1 at 5v5 which is actually tied team lead wow
21 - Tied third for scoring, only one goal, +2 at 5v5 tho far from team best
22 - Led scoring and goals, second playoffs as over ppg, +3 at 5v5 tied for lead
23 - Third in scoring, first in goals, even at 5v5

I'd say that from just raw numbers it looks like top dog in 17, 20, and 22. Maybe around there in 19. Respectable but not the lead in 23. Not all that good in 21. And top dogshit in 18.

Not really the numbers of a 13m man, but the numbers of a guy who can be the best player on his team.

He's also started registering far more hits and high danger chances this last three years, so not all that floaty either.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

if they earned money in their career and are now 30+ they want to win a cup so thry will go to one on cheap.

a player feeling like they were shorted will look for a higher contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Interesting if he signs for $14M cap hit…..

then Sabres coukd market a 2 for 1 special when the laughs are in town

ap of Thompson+Cozens ~ Mathews

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Haha good luck with that Leafs. What a bag of dicks.

Also amusing to watch this one guy argue in bad faith and move goalposts. Can tell he prefers the name on the back to crest on the front. Pathetic.
Talking about another persons money and right to negotiate is pretty pathetic too.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
So you are saying McDavid is not worth that price tag?

cool man.
You're comparing McDavid to Matthews when it comes to playoff hockey? :laugh:

McDavid has 75 points in 49 playoff games.
Matthews has 44 points in 50 playoff games.

Reactions: myleafs

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

More like a better Hossa

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
First, this is completely irrelevant. As long as the cap number is the same for both the Avs and Leafs, players can only be paid so much if they want a chance to win, period.

Secondly, someone else in another thread pointed out that Auston Matthews is taxed in the state of Arizona because that's where his primary residence is. And their income taxes are lower than Colorado, so that's a moot point. Not to mention, Matthews gets paid in American dollars and gets to spend it in Canada. His $11,900,000 salary in USD = $15,760,000 CAD.

No matter how you want to slice it, Matthews isn't struggling to find his next meal. When you're talking about a kid who will make over 200 million playing hockey, when is enough, enough? Would he rather make 214 million and win nothing or make 196 million and have a legit chance to win multiple Cups?

The excuses must stop lol. I know you like him -- and I do too -- but we need to be honest about him and his contract demands.
The cost of everything has our lower dollar baked into it so the money goes about the same way on everything but booze and smokes because the states don't Tax them as much .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad