Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Shane - while you're able to exceed by 7.5%, if those bonuses are ultimately earned by the player and the team was at the salary cap limit, the "overage" is counted against the next years cap. The Bruins have 4.5M of "dead cap" this year because both Bergeron and Krejci obtained their bonuses last year.

2 quick examples, with the cap at $80M, and 5M of bonuses earned.
1) Team's salary was $74M. Bonuses get layered on (74+5=79M), with total salary being less than the cap - so no carry over.
2) Team's salary was $79M. Bonuses get layered on (79+5=84M), with total salary being less over the cap - so $4M (84M total salary - 80M cap) gets carried over to the next year.

Hey you're right! I didn't think you were, just poked around capfriendly and I see the line item buried under, "Carryover Bonus Overages" which is 4.5m which not so coincidentally matches up with the 2.5m and 2m from Bergeron and Krejci, respectively.

Thx for that, I honestly didn't know (I just thought the overage was contained in a pool not unlike the LTIR pool). Also thx @KrisLetAngry for initially bringing this up in the first place

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I think this is a great question. My take is that the Leafs are challenged by having 3 of those type of players (and two of them wingers) on the team at the same time.

Separate question - what does AM have to do in the play-off's to justify a 13.5M contract?
a cup and smythe wouldnt hurt

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Good fit for the Bruins. They'll have room next year and can give Matthews 13.5x3. Good stopgap to give Sweeney time to figure out how to develop a C while still having a contending roster. Matthews can then get his big bag in Vegas, LA, wherever he wants to end up when he still is in prime.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaners PPGs

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Matthews isn't bring, but he's good when it comes to term. I think it's wise he's taking shorter term as it makes him more money.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You're only using players with better players on the team. You're setting the bar that Matthews has to carry the team to a Stanley Cup, yet none of the players on your list have a Conn Smythe.

Eichel's first playoff is the weirdest example you're using. Eichel's 'first playoffs' he was a year older than Matthews is currently. So basically you're punishing Matthews for his early success. He would benefit from not taking a weaker team to the playoffs in your judgement. Eichel joined a team that went to the SCF and added Stone, Petrangelo and Eichel AFTER going to the SCF. Giving Eichel credit for a team that already went the Cup and then he joined them after they already stacked up is the same as if Matthews joined Vegas this year and won the Cup.

McDavid - same thing as Matthews. He continually gets outplayed by Draisaitl in the playoffs despite being the better player. The same thing you're criticizing Matthews for - even though Matthews has led his team in playoff scoring as much as McDavid.

Mackinnon - Great player, however he needed Makar to carry him to the cup. Makar scored 5 more points than him as a defenseman. There's no cup without Conn Smythe winner Makar on his team. The Leafs would love to trade Rielly for Makar.

Draisaitl - He's the one player on this list that is the teams best player in their playoffs. Similar to Matthews though, he has no Cup. Unlike Matthews, he plays with a regular Art Ross winner.
This is such a confusing post. Are you saying Cale Maker is the reason why Matthews has not won a cup? And the main reason why Mackinnon has won a cup. Despite the obvious production advantage Mackinnon holds in his playoff career over Matthews? No one is setting the bar that Matthews has to carry his team to a cup. Just produce and lead as a projected 13.5M player should be.

Obcourse it takes a team to win the cup. And really Eichel is a great example of this. In Buffalo he was surrounded by a tire fire assemblage of teams.yet Leafs fans didn't take this into consideration when they were making a case Matthews was a better player. Ironic you use the Maker excuse now.

Now that Eichel is finally playing for playoff caliber team he already has easily surpassed Matthews in series wins, championships and points production 22 GP, 26 points, leading his team in scoring in one playoff run. He will always has a cup on his resume. Matthews 1 playoff series win.

As for Mackinnon he has far surpassed Matthews in playoff production Mackinnon 77GP, 100 points, during his career and it's not hard to see he has the fire burning in him to win that I have not seen in Matthews yet. He was integral to the Avs Cup run.

McDavid and Draisaitl may not have won a cup, but they have had more individual and team success in the playoffs than Matthews has also. You would be hard pressed to find any Oilers fans blaming them for not winning the cup yet. When you score McDavid 49GP, 75 points and Draisaitl 49GP, 77 points you have done your bit.

Matthews has just won one playoff series win to his name in 7 seasons, 50GP, 44 points. To assert he needs more talented players around him with a team where Marner, Nylander, Tavares, and before that Kadri, Hyman, Muzzin, Brodie were his supporting cast is making a case that he is not worth 13.5 million. How about the highest paid player in hockey which Matthewa is projected to be so bring up the players around him rather than expecting the Buntings to do so. You got to be better than 44 points in 50 playoffs games, with a lone series playoff win in 7 seasons to deserve 13.5M for less than 8 years if this is what he is asking than the players I have mentioned here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Eichel doesnt belong in that tier

One great playoff show case does not erase 3 years whee Eichel plummeted down vs Matthews who excelled

Eichel needs to bounce back heavy next year in the reg season and show he can continue to dominate come playoffs

Mack and Drai blow Matthews out of the water.

Hughes is a name which may pass Matthews next year

Eichel was a middle road 1C he wasnt dominant like Mcdavid, Mack, Draisaitl, (even point 2020) were
If anything, Eichel has made an even stronger case he belongs in this tier. He has shown what he can do on a playoff caliber team. He could always produce on those weak Buffalo teams. But now he has shown what he can achieve on an actual playofff caliber team. That is to lead the team in scoring and be one of it's integral players winning the cup. There is no way Marchessault scores those big goals or wins the Conn smythe without Eichel. Eichel elevated a teammate in the playoffs, I have yet to see Matthews do the same. And that makes Eichel better in my eyes. If you want regular season flash, it's Matthews. If you want cups it's Eichel.

Reactions: teal

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If anything, Eichel has made an even stronger case he belongs in this tier. He has shown what he can do on a playoff caliber team. He could always produce on those weak Buffalo teams. But now he has shown what he can achieve on an actual playofff caliber team. That is to lead the team in scoring and be one of it's integral players winning the cup. There is no way Marchessault scores those big goals or wins the Conn smythe without Eichel. Eichel elevated a teammate in the playoffs, I have yet to see Matthews do the same. And that makes Eichel better in my eyes. If you want regular season flash, it's Matthews. If you want cups it's Eichel.
Mack gives cup and reg season flash

Draisaitl gives reg season flash and while noy cup yet he us a dominant player there

Same with makar, kucherov etc

Eichel needs more consistency. He won a cup this year on a stacked team, but that doesnt put him on the level if guys mentioned above or even matthews who produces superior in reg season and in the playoffs doesnt have as deep a team to play with (which is his and the other core forwards on the leafs faults due to bad deals)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mack gives cup and reg season flash

Draisaitl gives reg season flash and while noy cup yet he us a dominant player there

Same with makar, kucherov etc

Eichel needs more consistency. He won a cup this year on a stacked team, but that doesnt put him on the level if guys mentioned above or even matthews who produces superior in reg season and in the playoffs doesnt have as deep a team to play with (which is his and the other core forwards on the leafs faults due to bad deals)
I think most people in hockey regard Eichel as an elite talent in hockey. Again Marchessault does not win the Conn Smythe without Eichel. This is what elite players do. Several seasons of Bad teams and injuries have prevented Eichel from having that big one season that some are looking for. I don't think he needs to prove anything any longer. He led the VGK in scoring this year in their cup run. Mccrimmon got the player that put them over the top. Stone was a nice add, but you need that player that is a game breaker, either by creating a goal or scoring it. One can say Eichel when he finally got his chance to play for a playoff caliber team did it. If he can stay healthy, put in one 82 game season. He can put together a career regular season. Though a Cup and leading your team in scoring in the playoffs is a nice caveat to have on your resume too. Something I would hope Matthews would want over any regular season bragging rights.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This is such a confusing post. Are you saying Cale Maker is the reason why Matthews has not won a cup? And the main reason why Mackinnon has won a cup. Despite the obvious production advantage Mackinnon holds in his playoff career over Matthews? No one is setting the bar that Matthews has to carry his team to a cup. Just produce and lead as a projected 13.5M player should be.

Obcourse it takes a team to win the cup. And really Eichel is a great example of this. In Buffalo he was surrounded by a tire fire assemblage of teams.yet Leafs fans didn't take this into consideration when they were making a case Matthews was a better player. Ironic you use the Maker excuse now.

Now that Eichel is finally playing for playoff caliber team he already has easily surpassed Matthews in series wins, championships and points production 22 GP, 26 points, leading his team in scoring in one playoff run. He will always has a cup on his resume. Matthews 1 playoff series win.

As for Mackinnon he has far surpassed Matthews in playoff production Mackinnon 77GP, 100 points, during his career and it's not hard to see he has the fire burning in him to win that I have not seen in Matthews yet. He was integral to the Avs Cup run.

McDavid and Draisaitl may not have won a cup, but they have had more individual and team success in the playoffs than Matthews has also. You would be hard pressed to find any Oilers fans blaming them for not winning the cup yet. When you score McDavid 49GP, 75 points and Draisaitl 49GP, 77 points you have done your bit.

Matthews has just won one playoff series win to his name in 7 seasons, 50GP, 44 points. To assert he needs more talented players around him with a team where Marner, Nylander, Tavares, and before that Kadri, Hyman, Muzzin, Brodie were his supporting cast is making a case that he is not worth 13.5 million. How about the highest paid player in hockey which Matthewa is projected to be so bring up the players around him rather than expecting the Buntings to do so. You got to be better than 44 points in 50 playoffs games, with a lone series playoff win in 7 seasons to deserve 13.5M for less than 8 years if this is what he is asking than the players I have mentioned here.

I'll break it down for you. Mackinnon does not win a Cup without Makar. He could not get out of the second round without Makar going God-mode, as his history has shown. He made it out of the second round once in his career, and it's when Makar went God-mode and won the unanimous Conn Smythe. Seriously, Makar had 5 more points than Mackinnon, Makar plays defense. Makar put up 29 points in 20 games as the 1D with great defense, and you're saying they win that championship without Makar? Replace Mackinnon with Matthews and that team still wins that Cup. Mackinnon was outscored by both Makar and Rantanen.

Eichel is a great example of a supplementary player. He's never good enough to carry a team to the playoffs alone, but add him to a team that's already made the SCF along with a #1D and #1RW and he can carry them to the Cup. Basically, the same as Phil Kessel. He couldn't do it in Toronto, but you add him to another team where he doesn't need to carry the team, and he won 2 Cups. Your argument about Eichel being a superstar for joining a team that made the Cup without him and then winning as a supplementary piece is asinine at best. You take a team that goes to the Finals, add a #1 Cup-winning D, a #1RW, and a #1C - and you give all the credit to the #1C? :laugh: If Eichel is a superstar, then so is Phil Kessel. Did you see Phil Kessel's playoff stats in Pittsburgh?

McDavid and Draisaitl play a different style than Matthews and Marner in the playoffs. The Leafs strategy in the playoffs is defense first, low scoring hockey. Which is why they allow much fewer goals than Edmonton in the playoffs. Edmonton's strategy is we got two of the best offensive players in the world, let's outscore our problems. Edmonton plays a completely loose open-end hockey. It's great against defensive teams because they can't produce that much, but it's horrible against deep competitive teams (Vegas, Colorado). Edmonton can beat teams like LA and Calgary with their style, sure, but they're not actual contenders. That's why despite McDavid and Draisaitl going 2PPG in the playoffs, they can still get swept. It's not the teams fault - the coach basically says no defense, outscore your problems - which is why it's really hard to compare their point totals until they prove they can have success with that style.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'll break it down for you. Mackinnon does not win a Cup without Makar. He could not get out of the second round without Makar going God-mode, as his history has shown. He made it out of the second round once in his career, and it's when Makar went God-mode and won the unanimous Conn Smythe. Seriously, Makar had 5 more points than Mackinnon, Makar plays defense. Makar put up 29 points in 20 games as the 1D with great defense, and you're saying they win that championship without Makar? Replace Mackinnon with Matthews and that team still wins that Cup. Mackinnon was outscored by both Makar and Rantanen.

Eichel is a great example of a supplementary player. He's never good enough to carry a team to the playoffs alone, but add him to a team that's already made the SCF along with a #1D and #1RW and he can carry them to the Cup. Basically, the same as Phil Kessel. He couldn't do it in Toronto, but you add him to another team where he doesn't need to carry the team, and he won 2 Cups. Your argument about Eichel being a superstar for joining a team that made the Cup without him and then winning as a supplementary piece is asinine at best. You take a team that goes to the Finals, add a #1 Cup-winning D, a #1RW, and a #1C - and you give all the credit to the #1C? :laugh: If Eichel is a superstar, then so is Phil Kessel. Did you see Phil Kessel's playoff stats in Pittsburgh?

McDavid and Draisaitl play a different style than Matthews and Marner in the playoffs. The Leafs strategy in the playoffs is defense first, low scoring hockey. Which is why they allow much fewer goals than Edmonton in the playoffs. Edmonton's strategy is we got two of the best offensive players in the world, let's outscore our problems. Edmonton plays a completely loose open-end hockey. It's great against defensive teams because they can't produce that much, but it's horrible against deep competitive teams (Vegas, Colorado). Edmonton can beat teams like LA and Calgary with their style, sure, but they're not actual contenders. That's why despite McDavid and Draisaitl going 2PPG in the playoffs, they can still get swept. It's not the teams fault - the coach basically says no defense, outscore your problems - which is why it's really hard to compare their point totals until they prove they can have success with that style.
I will make this short. I am speaking facts, you are speaking in what ifs. Rarely the what if argument wins. Maybe if Mackinnon is on the Leafs with his 100 points proven in 77 games played in the playoffs the Leafs win the cup. Rather than Matthews 44 points in 50 games. But I would rather deal in the facts we have to date

Eichel first playoffs, 22 GP, 26 points, and wins a Stanley Cup.
McDavid 49GP, 75 points.
Mackinnon 77GP, 100 points, Stanley Cup
Draisaitl 49GP, 77 points

These all far surpass the 1 playoff rd win 44 points in 50 games resume Matthews has right now.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I will make this short. I am speaking facts, you are speaking in what ifs. Rarely the what if argument wins. Maybe if Mackinnon is on the Leafs with his 100 points proven in 77 games played in the playoffs the Leafs win the cup. Rather than Matthews 44 points in 50 games. But I would rather deal in the facts we have to date

McDavid 49GP, 75 points.

These all far surpass the 1 playoff rd win 44 points in 50 games resume Matthews has right now.

Eichel's first playoff is older than Matthews is today.

Why is Eichel benefiting for making the playoffs at 26 years old while you pile in the playoff stats of a 20 year old Matthews to diminish his stats?

I have no problem with using McDavid/Draisaitl/Mackinnon as comparables. Eichel is a joke comparable. Matthews isn't even as old today as Eichel was in his playoffs debut.

You punish Matthews for carrying a weaker team to the playoffs, while crowning Eichel for joining a team who already made the finals without him and making his playoff debut at 26 years old.

Matthews next season will be as old as Eichel in his playoff debut. Let's start counting his stats from next season instead of combining Matthews stats from aged 19-25 and then comparing it with a 26 year old Eichel.

Let's compare them at similar ages:

Matthews career playoff stats at age 25: 44 points
Eichel career playoff stats at age 25: 0 points

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matthews measuring stick is not Nylander though. It should be the players below, If he gets paid at 13.5M+ per for anything less than a max term based partly on his playoff record. Getting 13.5M+ would be bending over to him and his agent again. He would have milked the Leafs every last cent a second consecutive negotiations. For a caphit of 13.5M+ 8 years is at minimum the acceptable term. Otherwise the optics are he is just playing hockey for the money, and regular season stats, and not when it counts the most, the playoffs.

McDavid 49GP, 75 points.
Matthews, 50GP, 44 points

More importantly the question is.

If eichel can get 10 million a year with 0 playoff points, how can the leafs not expect to pay Matthews the max…. Who can argue against it.

10 million for 0 points when eichel signed
Gotta be at least 15 million for 44 pts right?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Eichel's first playoff is older than Matthews is today.

Why is Eichel benefiting for making the playoffs at 26 years old while you pile in the playoff stats of a 20 year old Matthews to diminish his stats?

I have no problem with using McDavid/Draisaitl/Mackinnon as comparables. Eichel is a joke comparable. Matthews isn't even as old today as Eichel was in his playoffs debut.

You punish Matthews for carrying a weaker team to the playoffs, while crowning Eichel for joining a team who already made the finals without him and making his playoff debut at 26 years old.

Matthews next season will be as old as Eichel in his playoff debut. Let's start counting his stats from next season instead of combining Matthews stats from aged 19-25 and then comparing it with a 26 year old Eichel.

Let's compare them at similar ages:

Matthews career playoff stats at age 25: 44 points
Eichel career playoff stats at age 25: 0 points
Similar ages argument now. Keep throwing mud until it sticks? No I think I will continue to deal in facts as it pertains to the topic discussed here.

13.5M for haggling on term for a player that has a lesser resume to the playoffs you brought up Nylander as a comparison of all players, that is making 6.96M per. Wrong comparable.

To the much more accurate comparables I am speaking of. Which are all better than Matthews playoff resume career wise to date. This is what matters when discussing the worth of contracts. And if Matthews gets 13.5M for less than the max term, he and his agent will have again milked every last cent out of the Leafs for a 2nd consecutive contract negotiations.

Eichel first playoffs, 22 GP, 26 points, won a Stanley Cup.
McDavid 49GP, 75 points. 4 playoff series wins, 1 Conference final.
Draisaitl 49GP, 77 points 4 playoff series wins, 1 Conference final.
Matthews 50GP, 44 points, 1 series win

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Similar ages argument now. Keep throwing mud until it sticks? No I think I will continue to deal in facts as it pertains to the topic discussed here.

13.5M for haggling on term for a player that has a lesser resume to the playoffs you brought up Nylander as a comparison of all players, that is making 6.96M per. Wrong comparable.

To the much more accurate comparables I am speaking of. Which are all better than Matthews playoff resume career wise to date. This is what matters when discussing the worth of contracts. And if Matthews gets 13.5M for less than the max term, he and his agent will have again milked every last cent out of the Leafs for a 2nd consecutive contract negotiations.

I think your reading comprehension could use work. This was my argument the entire time, I'm glad you finally read it.

The great thing is though, no one has Eichel in the calibre that you do. You can continue to hype up Eichel, the rest of the world views him as a Phil Kessel.

Eichel got 10M with 0 playoff points.
Therefore, Matthews probably deserves 15M with 44 points?

Seriously, Eichel got 10 million X 8 after a career high 57 point regular season and 0 playoff points.

If we're using that as the comparable, Matthews probably gets 15M per no matter the term.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think your reading comprehension may need work. This was my argument the entire time, I'm glad you finally read it.

Eichel got 10M with 0 playoff points.
Therefore, Matthews probably deserves 15M with 44 points?

Seriously, Eichel got 10 million X 8 after a career high 57 point regular season and 0 playoff points.

If we're using that as the comparable, Matthews probably gets 15M.
Eichel signed a 8 year contract with Buffalo. He is making 10M per and is under contract to VGK for 3 more years thanks to this. VGK will benefit having Eichel at 10M per the next 3 years, while the Leafs will be hamstrung with Matthews making 13.5+ perhaps for less than max years if reports and his past contract negotiations are an indicator.

Matthews signed a 5 year contract at 11.64 taking every last cent from the Leafs. The Leafs have 1 series win and Matthews is less than a PPG in the playoffs at that number. We are talking about Matthews next contract. What are the chances the Leafs win a cup with Matthews at 13.5 if they can't come close to winning a cup with him at 11.54? We know a NHL team has won a cup with Eichel at 10M per. Those are the facts.

You further cited he has outproduced Nylander in the playoffs, I correctly stated this is not the comparable you should be citing.

These are the players that you should be focusing on, If I were Treliving I would post these to Matthews agent.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Eichel signed a 8 year contract with Buffalo. He is making 10M per and is under contract to VGK for 3 more years thanks to this. VGK will benefit having Eichel at 10M per the next 3 years, while the Leafs will be hamstrung with Matthews making 13.5+ perhaps for less than max years if reports and his past contract negotiations are an indicator.

Matthews signed a 5 year contract at 11.64 taking every last cent from the Leafs. The Leafs have 1 series win and Matthews is less than a PPG in the playoffs at that number. We are talking about Matthews next contract. What are the chances the Leafs win a cup with Matthews at 13.5 if they can't come close to winning a cup with him at 11.54? We know a NHL team has won a cup with Eichel at 10M per. Those are the facts.

You further cited he has outproduced Nylander in the playoffs, I correctly stated this is not the comparable you should be citing.

These are the players that you should be focusing on, If I were Treliving I would post these to Matthews agent.

You're writing too much text while ignoring the question.

It doesn't matter what he did since he signed it, what was his production when he signed it?

Eichel is the Kevin Durant of the NHL. He can win a championship as long as he joins a team that can win without him.

• Haha

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You're writing too much text while ignoring the question.

It doesn't matter what he did since he signed it, what was his production when he signed it?

Eichel is the Kevin Durant of the NHL. He can win a championship as long as he joins a team that can win without him.
I am writing too many facts, this is why you have chosen to ignore the discussion I responded to you at first. Matthews outproducing Nylander in the playoffs, for I can only guess meaning Matthews deserves 13.5M less than 8 years max. I don't blame you for trying to change the discussion for you can't even respond to the post above. I don't want to repeat myself again here. It is clear you zero arguments against my the positions I have stated. Otherwise you would have stated them by now.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I am writing too many facts, this is why you have chosen to ignore the discussion I responded to you at first. Matthews outproducing Nylander in the playoffs, for I can only guess meaning Matthews deserves 13.5M less than 8 years max. I don't blame you for trying to change the discussion for you can't even respond to the post above. I don't want to repeat myself again here. It is clear you zero arguments against my the positions I have stated. Otherwise you would have stated them by now.

I don't know, your argument is always Jack Eichel is my favourite player. I remember you almost in tears when he didn't win the Conn Smythe despite being outscored at even strength, not scoring a goal in 10+ games, and being outscored since the first round. Those first round points Jack Eichel stacked up against (Wild Card 2) Winnipeg really meant a lot to you. Clearly more valuable than points in the 2nd round, 3rd round and Finals.

Matthews deserves whatever a team pays him. If the Leafs don't pay him 13.5M, someone else will. If multiple teams are willing to pay him 13.5, he probably deserves it.

• Haha

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't know, your argument is always Jack Eichel is my favourite player. I remember you almost in tears when he didn't win the Conn Smythe despite being outscored at even strength, not scoring a goal in 10+ games, and being outscored since the first round. Those first round points Jack Eichel stacked up against (Wild Card 2) Winnipeg really meant a lot to you. Clearly more valuable than points in the 2nd round, 3rd round and Finals.

Matthews deserves whatever a team pays him. If the Leafs don't pay him 13.5M, someone else will. If multiple teams are willing to pay him 13.5, he probably deserves it.
You know Matthews outscored Nylander in the playoffs almost every year, including this season, right?

"The only Leafs player who do something during the playoffs" was 4th on the Leafs in playoff scoring this year. HfBoards, you got to love it. :laugh:
Matthews measuring stick is not Nylander though. It should be the players below, If he gets paid at 13.5M+ per for anything less than a max term based partly on his playoff record. Getting 13.5M+ would be bending over to him and his agent again. He would have milked the Leafs every last cent a second consecutive negotiations. For a caphit of 13.5M+ 8 years is at minimum the acceptable term. Otherwise the optics are he is just playing hockey for the money, and regular season stats, and not when it counts the most, the playoffs.

McDavid 49GP, 75 points.

Reactions:Beukeboom Fan, Bellzy and MakoSlade

Reactions: myleafs

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

McDavid 49GP, 75 points.

Reactions:Beukeboom Fan, Bellzy and MakoSlade

Yes, but it's not a strong argument when you use Jack Eichel as a comparable. Matthews has had the better career.

Jack Eichel got 10M with a career high 57 points and 0 playoff points. Matthews beat both of those on his original contract.

If you wanted to strengthen your argument, you'd have to remove Jack Eichel, otherwise Matthews salary demands are justified (actually cheap) compared to Eichel.

Jack Eichel did nothing for the team that drafted him. He needed to be traded to a contender who made the finals and later added a Cup winning #1D and arguably the best two-way winger in the game to finally get any sort of hardware.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, but it's not a strong argument when you use Jack Eichel as a comparable. Matthews has had the better career.

Jack Eichel got 10M with a career high 57 points and 0 playoff points. Matthews beat both of those on his original contract.

If you wanted to strengthen your argument, you'd have to remove Jack Eichel, otherwise Matthews salary demands are justified (actually cheap) compared to Eichel.

Jack Eichel did nothing for the team that drafted him. He needed to be traded to a contender who made the finals and later added a Cup winning #1D and arguably the best two-way winger in the game to finally get any sort of hardware.
It doesn't matter what Eichel got then, he had the exact same playoff series wins as Matthews had when Matthews signed for 5 years at 11.64 to Eichel's 10M(1.65 less) at a much more tram friendlier term while playing on a much worse team. He has now won a cup and led his team in scoring doing so while making 10M. This is more than Matthews has ever done in the playoffs at 11.64 and now he is commanding 13.5 for non max years. Facts matter.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It doesn't matter what Eichel got then, he had the exact same playoff series wins as Matthews had when Matthews signed for 5 years at 11.64 to Eichel's 10M(1.65 less) at a much more tram friendlier term while playing on a much worse team. He has won a cup and led his team in scoring doing so while making 10M. This is more than Matthews has ever done in the playoffs. Facts matter.

Yes, if Matthews was traded to a team that won on the Finals he would have more wins too.

Eichel has shown he cannot lead a team to the playoffs, Matthews has shown he can.

You keep moving the goalpoints. All of a sudden regular season points don't matter, now playoff points don't matter. Only playoff series matter now.

One guy complains and joins a team who has already made the Finals after failing with the team who drafted him - the other joins a team that was dead last in the NHL before he joined. Yet, you only compare them based on series wins.

Based on your argument of only playoff series being compared in contract negotiations, Eichel is better than McDavid and Draisaitl too right?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, if Matthews was traded to a team that won on the Finals he would have more wins too.

Eichel has shown he cannot lead a team to the playoffs, Matthews has shown he can.
Well if you want to continue to play the game of what if? Had Matthews been on Buffalo and Eichel was in Toronto. Eichel has proven he can win a cup leading a good team in scoring. Matthews has proven he can only lead a good team to the playoffs and usually be one and out, though I doubt even Bobby Orr could have led those Sabres teams to the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad