Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Agree that it's possible for the Leafs to be competitive while paying Matthews $13.5M. IMO, possible is a REALLY low bar to set.

The problem is that paying AM that enables MM to also get paid signficantly more than other 1st line wingers from contenders, which forces Treliving to go dumpster diving for players to fill out the roster. When I think of TB's play-off success, I think of the 3rd line and guys like Palat who really delivered. The Leafs aren't able to afford those guys because of the core, so the core has to consistently be the difference makers, and that hasn't happened yet.
I disagree with the bolded. They are different players. Matthews can get the upper echelon contract because he is in rarified air among the NHL - a true, elite 1C with historical goal-scoring. He's in the Mackinnon class and can negotiate from there.

Marner is not there. Dubas overpaid on his first Marner deal, yes. Treliving shouldn't. Marner's cap is Pastrnak and he doesn't have an argument beyond that.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The real risk for the team here is Matthews taking a contract with the Leafs to 29-30 years old and then demanding prime career money until he’s 37 from the Leafs, and when they won’t give it to him, going to UFA where another team certainly will.

If he wants a NMC that costs money. $1m per year, you tell him. So $10.5 for 3 years with NMC each year, or $12.5m with 2 years NMC but none in the last year. Or $13.5m with no trade protection.

You can’t be stuck in 3 years with the idea of 29yo Matthews walking for nothing or having to pay him $15m a year for 8 years. You know that’s the choice the team will have to make, cause you know next contract is going to finally be the one where matthews wants high AAV and high term.

Matthews isn’t going to sign a 3 or 5 year deal after this one
I actually see it the exact opposite. If he signs for 3 years you now have 4 years to see if he is really a difference maker. So far he has not been even with all the regular season success. If it is more of the same i.e 1st round or 2 nd round exits then when he walks in 4 years with the cap around 100 million you go out and replace him with the 13.5 million. This is no longer a young core of players. Many of them are close to 30 so if you are going to win a cup it better be in the next 4 years. I see a 3 to 5 year deal as the best possible outcome for the Leafs.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Kypreos was one of the guys who was responsible for the hype and campaign built around Marner's contract. Probably cost him his job being a campaign manager and pushing his players union biased beliefs. Off putting to say the least for a league that was employing him to represent it.

As far as Matthews..... sounds about right getting around 14-15% ....probably 15% given his goal scoring prowess

Reactions: WildWolfdog

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
While it disgusts me to say this give him 3 years with absolutely no trade protection. Pay him all the money up front and when McDavd is available trade Matthews and sign the hometown kid. Trade Matthews to the highest bidder and end his TML career as the greediest TML ever. One who cared more about getting paid than the team success or the crest on his sweater.

Unless he signs for 8 years at the clip he has to be the most unlikable player in the NHL.
I know Leaf fans dream of this. Our main team radio guy today was strongly hinting that McDavid and Drai want to sign lone extensions when the time comes.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The time to win was when they could pay for RFA years, not just ELC contracts. Toronto allowed themselves to get bent over by Matthews and Marner. Not only did they pay them UFA money, they gave them every bit of leverage they could have. Matthews career high was 73 points and they made him the second highest paid player in the league buying no UFA years in return. Just awful negotiating.

It wasn’t ideal, that’s for damn sure

I actually see it the exact opposite. If he signs for 3 years you now have 4 years to see if he is really a difference maker. So far he has not been even with all the regular season success. If it is more of the same i.e 1st round or 2 nd round exits then when he walks in 4 years with the cap around 100 million you go out and replace him with the 13.5 million. This is no longer a young core of players. Many of them are close to 30 so if you are going to win a cup it better be in the next 4 years. I see a 3 to 5 year deal as the best possible outcome for the Leafs.

You don’t think Matthews is a difference maker?

If you trade Matthews in the last year of his deal, you can have the cap space AND assets. Why would you just let him walk? That makes no sense at all

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

If you trade Matthews in the last year of his deal, you can have the cap space AND assets. Why would you just let him walk? That makes no sense at all
Probably will have a NMC in last year of deal,

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Always happy to see a player get paid, and im not sure it really matters if Matthews gets paid 10 or 14, Leafs will still bomb out in the first or 2nd round of playoffs.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

Currently he has been the difference in 2 playoff games. So yes so far he has not shown himself to be a difference maker.
As for dealing him in the last year of his deal he would need to waive his NMC that he will be getting when he signs his contract.

Reactions: jiitu

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Matthews can get the upper echelon contract because he is in rarified air among the NHL - a true, elite 1C with historical goal-scoring.
Historical goal scoring? Are you suggesting Matthews is the only player who ever scored 60 goals? I didn't know Matthews was Gretzky, Ovechkin, and Hull rolled into one. My goodness, are we watching the same player? He's scored at a 32 goal pace in the playoffs.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Historical goal scoring? Are you suggesting Matthews is the only player who ever scored 60 goals? I didn't know Matthews was Gretzky, Ovechkin, and Hull rolled into one. My goodness, are we watching the same player? He's scored at a 32 goal pace in the playoffs.
Don't forget Stamkos who also scored 50 and 60 goals in back to back seasons but only took 1M more AAV after that, and then won two Cups.

Reactions: HabzSauce and jiitu

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
For the modern era with goalies that can stop a puck that's sliding on the ice, yes, he has historic goal-scoring. I probably could have been more specific by saying his rate of goal-scoring is at that level.

He leads the league in goals since he entered the NHL. His lead in goals/game rate is not even close. He's unquestionably the best goal-scorer in the NHL. Yes, that is rarified air and his next contract will reflect that.

And that all undersells his very high-quality two-way play. If you'd actually watched the player, as you claimed, you would know that. Huge tell that you don't actually watch much.

Reactions: andora

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I disagree with the bolded. They are different players. Matthews can get the upper echelon contract because he is in rarified air among the NHL - a true, elite 1C with historical goal-scoring. He's in the Mackinnon class and can negotiate from there.

Marner is not there. Dubas overpaid on his first Marner deal, yes. Treliving shouldn't. Marner's cap is Pastrnak and he doesn't have an argument beyond that.

If Matthews signs for 14M, there isn't a chance in hell Marner signs for anything less than 13M. He also has a full NMC now and can just walk himself to free agency where the Leafs lose him for absolutely nothing.

His argument is having nearly matched or surpassed Matthews' point totals every single season except one while being the best defensive forward the Leafs have. If the Leafs don't want to give him 13-14M, he'll very easily get it somewhere else, especially if the cap does jump up significantly within the next two years or so.

Reactions: Ragdoll and Fatass

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
He was always going to be the highest paid player when it was his turn to re-up. Its incredible to see the reaction here, especially by Leaf fans. $13.5 is a fair number for a player of his calibre.

• Haha
Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad