Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Matthews signs for 14M, there isn't a chance in hell Marner signs for anything less than 13M. He also has a full NMC now and can just walk himself to free agency where the Leafs lose him for absolutely nothing.

His argument is having nearly matched or surpassed Matthews' point totals every single season except one while being the best defensive forward the Leafs have. If the Leafs don't want to give him 13-14M, he'll very easily get it somewhere else, especially if the cap does jump up significantly within the next two years or so.
Yup. Matthews might not be worth 13.5 mil times 3 years but he has all the leverage so he will get what he wants. And, like you suggest, Marner will follow suit. Imo Nylander will be the guy on the outs.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Matthews gets what seems to be anywhere north of 13.5 less than a max term, he and his Agent should write a book on how to negotiate 101 with the title of taking every last cent from the Leafs and leaving nothing on the table. Mercenary Efficiency.

Meanwhile. Eichel has a stanley cup ring for the rest of his life that was accomplished with a 10M cap hit that was signed for 8 years when he was with Buffalo.

This all could have been avoided if the Leafs(Dubas) had driven a harder bargain when Matthews signed his 5 year deal. We all knew that was a terrible deal for the Leafs.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
You feel that you are being persecuted by Toronto fans.

Kipper thinks Matthew will sign for 13.5M.

You might be considered an idiot. I don't know. Not winning anything is not good luck.

Well, not really this time it seems.

The last line I don't get. Why idiot? That I think that Toronto will not win anything with these signings or that I say it aloud?

AM simply is not worth of that money. It's that simple. He does not even care winning really.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Well, not really this time it seems.

The last line I don't get. Why idiot? That I think that Toronto will not win anything with these signings or that I say it aloud?

AM simply is not worth of that money. It's that simple. He does not even care winning really.
I don't know why an idiot. You said that you might be considered one.

"Like last time, I get lot of shit and afterward when I have got it right, this thread is already long closed to return it and even if I returned I would be considered idiot that I dare."

You offered "Good luck with not winning anything ever." I simply said that not winning anything is not an example of good luck.
You have no idea what he cares about.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
and interested parties would need to send back contracts to make room for his cap hit. getting a pure futures package is a fan fiction.
Don’t need much room if it’s at TDL , probably need about 2.5 million.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Matthews dose not care about getting a cup , He only cares about getting the bag . He wants to sign contracts that line up with Big salary cap movements in order to continue to get paid the maximum dollar. As a leafs fan I’m ready to move on I want players who are gonna show up when it matters and do what it takes to win the cup. I don’t think Matthews is that guy he’s an elite goal score and he’s talented but his hearts in a different place from what it takes to win

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
$13.5 mil per? This is f***ing insane, no way in hell is he worth that.
At 8 years he certainly would be with even just the following season after next seeing the cap rise. It would be a fair deal real quick. But yea on short terms he’s not doing his team any favors competitively

Reactions: egelband and bert

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Matthews is their best player and they should just give him exactly what he wants, whether it's 13.5 years for 3 years or a single year.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If Matthews signs for 14M, there isn't a chance in hell Marner signs for anything less than 13M. He also has a full NMC now and can just walk himself to free agency where the Leafs lose him for absolutely nothing.

His argument is having nearly matched or surpassed Matthews' point totals every single season except one while being the best defensive forward the Leafs have. If the Leafs don't want to give him 13-14M, he'll very easily get it somewhere else, especially if the cap does jump up significantly within the next two years or so.
No.

Marner is a winger, and we've seen repeatedly that centers carry a price premium to wingers. Only elite centers have garnered the truly upper echelon AAVs (McDavid, Mackinnon).

Marner does not have production exceeding that of other big, superstar winger contracts - Pastrnak did not sign for ~$13+M.

Regarding walking to UFA, sure, any player who can reach UFA status has that option. It doesn't change the set of relevant comparables.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
At 8 years he certainly would be with even just the following season after next seeing the cap rise. It would be a fair deal real quick. But yea on short terms he’s not doing his team any favors competitively
He’s bending them over hard. He got paid a ridiculous amount of money to have his current contract walk him straight to UFA without actually buying any UFA years. Now he wants another ridiculous payment to walk him to an over 30 retirement contract. If I’m the Leafs, I’m insulted at this point. Doesn’t help that he plays like money is the only thing that matters to him when the most important hockey is played as well.

Reactions: egelband

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
$13.5 mil per? This is f***ing insane, no way in hell is he worth that.

Nobody is worth that kind of money. It's market value in a growing cap (clearly). If you don't pay it, someone else will. Look at the NBA... less roster and the 6th guy on the roster can make $10M. Not worth it but that's the market based on revenue coming in.

If the cap is $90M for 24/25, max AAV is 20% ($18M). $13.5M would be 15%. Certainly won't be a value contract but he is a top 5 player in the game. The problem with paying the top end players in the NHL is it becomes a cap issue in a league where the entire team is required to win. Not just 4 players.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It will be 3 years. Matthews will want to revisit it when the cap has taken a substantial jump

What a headache in cap that will be for the Leafs with Tavares/Marner needing new contracts after 2 more years and then Matthews the year after (if he signs for 3). I guess Tavares will be 35 and can extend for much cheaper but Marner is going to want to cash in too. What the hell happens to Nylander? No idea.

Very curious to see where this team is, in another 3+ years. If you were Matthews and his agent, I would imagine they are looking at how the talent projects in that term right? This is not all about money because he can get that money from several teams.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
No.

Marner is a winger, and we've seen repeatedly that centers carry a price premium to wingers. Only elite centers have garnered the truly upper echelon AAVs (McDavid, Mackinnon).

Marner does not have production exceeding that of other big, superstar winger contracts - Pastrnak did not sign for ~$13+M.

Regarding walking to UFA, sure, any player who can reach UFA status has that option. It doesn't change the set of relevant comparables.

Nothing you've said has any bearing on my response. What Marner is worth and what he'll get are two completely different scenarios. All of which will be impacted by Matthews' contract. Like I said, if Matthew gets 13.5-14M, Marner is immediately demanding 13M or he's just not signing. You're never getting him at Pastrnak's salary.

Treliving has absolutely zero leverage going into negotiations. Marner has a full NMC and will be a UFA. If the Leafs sit firm on 11.250M, Marner can either pick his trade location (which kills his value) or, ironically, do exactly what Tavares did.

If the Leafs ink Matthews to his big payday, they may as well toss an almost identical contract Marner's way because he's not taking much less. Toronto's chance to make a splash was before July 1st. Now they're stuck paying Matthews and Marner whatever they want or they're losing them for nowhere close to their trade value.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Cry more. Once he signs it.. it will new norm for the top end players. Yes AM should make double what Kevin hayes makes. Because hes two times the player and atleast 100x the star in terms of jersey and eyeballs/interest.

Like I have said 20 times now. Atleast 2 decades behind. Some fans right beside them ...

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I really don’t think this is bad for either side. It’s not like either side has proven to the other that this is the perfect match (I’m talking Crosby level success)… 3yrs is a good time frame to re-evaluate.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No.

Marner *did* get $10.9 million when Matthews got $11.6 million on their last deals, so I could see Marner's camp arguing for within ~$1 million of whatever Matthews ends up getting. There's precedent for it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I really don’t think this is bad for either side. It’s not like either side has proven to the other that this is the perfect match (I’m talking Crosby level success)… 3yrs is a good time frame to re-evaluate.

It would be for Leafs.

You need/want to have star players on value deals at some point of their contracts.

This way Leafs would be constantly paying top tier money to their core forwards

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
It would be for Leafs.

You need/want to have star players on value deals at some point of their contracts.

This way Leafs would be constantly paying top tier money to their core forwards
It's not ideal, but not the end of the world imo. $13.5m will be about 15% of next years cap, leaving ~$42.5mil to fill out their roster. They will need to be creative & careful filling out the rest of their roster but $13.5mil for Matthews is fine imo.

Obviously you'd prefer to have him on a more team friendly deal, but not worth cutting off your own nose to spite your face

Reactions: PainForShane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad