Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree, I also am starting to think that Matthews might be looking to go to UFA after this deal for his next contract.

There better not be a NMC on the final year of this deal

I think if the next 5 years goes the way the last 5 years have, a change would be a fresh start for all parties.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Matthews wants to be paid what he’s worth today, and paid what he was worth tomorrow.

He won’t take an AAV discount, he might think 13.5m is a discount, who knows.

The concerning thing for me, is if there is a NMC on the last year of the deal. The way he’s been signing contracts looks like he will want max term after this deal, where you might get 2-3 years of prime Matthews play, at prime Matthews prices, but with 5 extra years of lowered production at that inflated price.

If there is any signs of slowing down on this contract, you need to keep the door open to trading him before you lock him up on the next contract for huge dollars and declining play.
He will get a NMC for the entirety of this contract or he will not be signing it. Not a chance he signs it without the NMC.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
He will get a NMC for the entirety of this contract or he will not be signing it. Not a chance he signs it without the NMC.

The real risk for the team here is Matthews taking a contract with the Leafs to 29-30 years old and then demanding prime career money until he’s 37 from the Leafs, and when they won’t give it to him, going to UFA where another team certainly will.

If he wants a NMC that costs money. $1m per year, you tell him. So $10.5 for 3 years with NMC each year, or $12.5m with 2 years NMC but none in the last year. Or $13.5m with no trade protection.

You can’t be stuck in 3 years with the idea of 29yo Matthews walking for nothing or having to pay him $15m a year for 8 years. You know that’s the choice the team will have to make, cause you know next contract is going to finally be the one where matthews wants high AAV and high term.

Matthews isn’t going to sign a 3 or 5 year deal after this one

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
You don't win without elite playes
How did the Av's do last year with their "elite players" against the Kraken? If you stacked up the players for both teams, the Av's would definetely have had the top 3 players (McK, Rant, Makar). You could also do the same thing with the Maple Leafs and Panthers.

Besides the Av's steamrolling their way to the Cup, which other team got carried by their stars without key contributions from the "depth" players? Certainly not LV, TB, STL, WASH, PIT, or CHI.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
You sign this contract after you win the Stanley Cup. All these contracts pretty much assure Leafs will not win with this core. Chicago did not win squat after Kane and Toews signed their big deals.
Tampa/Vegas it and you have a chance. LTIR for the win.

How did the Av's do last year with their "elite players" against the Kraken? If you stacked up the players for both teams, the Av's would definetely have had the top 3 players (McK, Rant, Makar). You could also do the same thing with the Maple Leafs and Panthers.

Besides the Av's steamrolling their way to the Cup, which other team got carried by their stars without key contributions from the "depth" players? Certainly not LV, TB, STL, WASH, PIT, or CHI.

Few elite players won't guarantee you a Stanley cup every season. It's tough to win, especially twice in a row. Also, check the lineup Colorado played with. It was horrendous. Losing Nuke, Landeskog was too much.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Matthews has a full no move clause that kicked in July 1, 2023. Why would he agree to a trade? He will have a majority of the teams wanting him on July 1, 2024. He will get his contract terms either from the Leafs now or from another club next July.
I am not the one saying the Leafs should trade Matthews, and that was very clear in my post.. I was responding to someone else.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Screwed? They are paid millions to play a game they love.
They are paid millions to be the at the very pinnacle of a lucrative business.

You talk as if being in airplanes and hotels all the time in a 82 games full contact hockey schedule with cameras in your face all the time, pressure and extreme public scrutiny is a hobby.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Few elite players won't guarantee you a Stanley cup every season. It's tough to win, especially twice in a row. Also, check the lineup Colorado played with. It was horrendous. Losing Nuke, Landeskog was too much.
Agreed on what you're saying with it being tough to win. But the more top heavy the line-up, the more you're exposed when injuries, or players struggling, occurs.

Look at the big picture last year though - would you say that the current "meta" is - more Elite players are the key, or having depth? LV & FLA made the finals with balanced deep rosters that played really hard. Along the way they combined to beat teams that all had more elite players than them (EDM, DAL, TOR, BOS).

With the exception of the Avs' (who were an outlier IMO and pretty much curb-stomped their way to the Cup) every other recent team had multiple "non-elite" players who were absolutely vital to their Cup wins.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Here's why I disagree with the above. Reeves is within spitting distance of making the league minimum, so you don't pick up much by replacing him.

Compare Point to AM. At 13.5M AM is going to be making $4M more than Point. To make up that difference the Leafs have to have 2 roster spots making the league minimum instead of paying 2 guys who contribute and make about $3M'ish each. That's the equivalent of Vegas having Whitecloud and Chandler on the team instead of some kid on ELC or league minimum roster filler (obviously - 2 optimal examples and not all roster spots would be fille by these types of player, but this did happen last year). Note - this difference just gets significantly worse in 3 years (assuming that term), because Point committed long term and AM would probably be $15+M given the increase in the cap.

"Core" players have decision to a decision to make. Do I trust the team to make a smart decision if I take less than I could salary wise knowing that means there's more talent on the team which increases the chances that we're successful together?
This is just not a relevant comparison. I am a huge Brayden Point fan, but from a contractual standpoint, they are not in the same class. Matthews is the best goal scorer in the NHL since he entered the league, has hit 60+ and won a Hart. That's a different class than Brayden Point and is going to get paid substantially more. Point also signed his contract a few years ago, so you have to bake in cap inflation and future cap growth to new contract AAVs.

Also if I was Matthews, no, I would not trust the team anyway. Treliving just made one of the most hilariously immediately bad trades of the decade. And again, if they're haggling him over $500k-1M yet went and decided to throw more than that amount in the garbage by signing Reaves anyway....yeah I would be less willing to take a discount too.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
13.5 million?ssince

ince you haven't

13.5 million?

Slow Laugh GIFs | Tenor
since you haven't had a franchise center since the 60s let me in on a secret. You pay them. You don't pay goalies 10 million. Enjoy your num' 2 center making 8..

Matthews>>>entire canadians roster

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
They are paid millions to be the at the very pinnacle of a lucrative business.

You talk as if being in airplanes and hotels all the time in a 82 games full contact hockey schedule with cameras in your face all the time, pressure and extreme public scrutiny is a hobby.
it's not. it's a job. and a very well paid job.

would you switch your job with matthews if it was an option?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
since you haven't had a franchise center since the 60s let me in on a secret. You pay them. You don't pay goalies 10 million. Enjoy your num' 2 center making 8..

Ill take our "#2 centre" making 7.875 any day over Matthews at 13.5. I would also take Aho at 9.75 vs Matthews at nearly 4 million more.

Matthews is worth 11.5 tops. 12 if he can actually get that motor started come playoff time.

My laugh emoji would be appropriate for the Habs if we signed Suzuki or Caufield at 10 mil.

LMAO at your since the 60's comment. You know what else hasn't happened since the 60's? Don't make it so easy for me next time!

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

Let me let you in on a little secret - A goalie that is paid 10 million just got done owning the entire Leafs roster in the playoffs.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Owners aren’t screwing the players here. The cap is a percentage of earnings and that is spread out over the entire roster of players.

Sure, some teams have unspent cap, which is money that players aren’t earning (and I don’t know where that money goes, or if it just goes back to the owners or into an account with the NHLPA or distributed another way), it’s not at all relevant because competitive teams spend as much of the cap as they possibly can, meaning the players as a group are getting as much money as they possibly can already.

What you’re saying is that the salary inequity between players should be larger. With superstars making 10-20x (or more) than the lowest paid players.

You see this in the NFL, where running backs just don’t make money anymore. It happens a little more in the NHL with goalies as well.

It has nothing to do with players sticking it to the league, it only means players at the top stick it to other players by taking a bigger piece of the pie.

The only way to raise salaries across the board is to raise league revenue, which is why the gambling ads are so prevalent. Gambling drives revenue in the other leagues, especially NFL and NBA (baseball is weird, I don’t know why baseball makes as much revenue as they do, except the whole ‘Americas pastime’)

This idea is also why Bettman has been so desperate to grow the game in the US. Those markets have made the NBA and NFL revenues absolutely insane, which is why you see $20m one year deals for those athletes.

The NBA is also unique, in that there are only half as many players to pay, but the league makes much much more money than the NHL.
Nhl league revenue is at 5 billion. Where is it going? Anyways the cap should be going up and whatever the reason it hasnt is all bullshit. Like i said years behind. Also AM still doing the rigt thing 13.5 is what a player of his calibre should be asking for.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Lol. Yeah i dont understand it. Revenue going up but cap staying same. Give me the bootlickers reason why it hasnt.
Players wanting to be paid for games not played during Covid, causing the players to owe a billion dollars. No fans allowed at games.
Read the MOU, it will help you understand better, year by year, how they pay back the billion. Time to start licking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad