Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
What was their leverage exactly besides making him sit out? We’ve seen over the last 5 yrs that star rfas aren’t exactly keen to take discounts for reasons anymore.

Matthews leverage was in the form of being the star #1C of the leafs and a key goal scoring cog of the team. Dubas (or any other Gm for that matter) were stuck between a rock and a hard place. If Matthews won’t sign for more than 5 yrs, no amount of “leverage” or “negotiating” changes down. Sure they could’ve sat him out or risked an offer sheet, but that wouldnt logically be the sound thing to do.
which other team signed their young star 1c to a 5 year contract (directly to ufa) after his elc was up?
aho was an offer sheet match. all other teams bought ufa years or keep them in rfa territory.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's also very hard to overpay one of the best players in the game. It's much easier to overpay guys like Klingberg, Kämpf, Reaves, Domi etc.
While thats true, your best player often sets the tone so to speak for the contract demands of the rest of the team.

If Matthews took 11.5x8 instead of for 5 years, is 6x11 for Marner justifiable?

As a TBL fan seeing Hedman and Stamkos take team friendly deals, I'm sure you can relate.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
It is a huge part of it, but not the only thing.
It's amazing, how scoring goals is overtaking the discussion. Cold hard fact is that each success to deny opponent to score a goal is just as valuable as scoring your own goal. I mean, when it comes to the result of the game. The result that defines, who wins the cup.

When AM last time signed that overpaid contract, I was writing that in couple of years he might start to regret that he only thinks his bank account after not winning anything and not reaching playoffs. Now I must admit, I was wrong in many ways. First, it's true that Toronto reached playoffs even several times and what amazing thing, they even won a series. But anyway, team success was just about upper ceiling of what I was expecting.

And second thing , where I was even more wrong, if these rumors are true, was that he would regret it. Looks like not. He don't care winning. It has been seen many ways during many these years. But it's not wrong I guess, for sure the money will warm him up many times and ways in the future, so if he prefers it and toronto agrees, who is here to judge. Let the other teams play for the cup then.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's amazing, how scoring goals is overtaking the discussion. Cold hard fact is that each success to deny opponent to score a goal is just as valuable as scoring your own goal. I mean, when it comes to the result of the game. The result that defines, who wins the cup.

When AM last time signed that overpaid contract, I was writing that in couple of years he might start to regret that he only thinks his bank account after not winning anything and not reaching playoffs. Now I must admit, I was wrong in many ways. First, it's true that Toronto reached playoffs even several times and what amazing thing, they even won a series. But anyway, team success was just about upper ceiling of what I was expecting.

And second thing , where I was even more wrong, if these rumors are true, was that he would regret it. Looks like not. He don't care winning. It has been seen many ways during many these years. But it's not wrong I guess, for sure the money will warm him up many times and ways in the future, so if he prefers it and toronto agrees, who is here to judge. Let the other teams play for the cup then.
That doesn't make any sense.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
That doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, also last time I got flood of Toronto fans to come me with messages like: "what stuff are you taking" etc.

Let's put it simple: If and when that 13.5x5 deal is done, it nails the Toronto success to max winning one-two series during those years. Yes, I said it. I said it last time and say it now.

Like last time, I get lot of shit and afterward when I have got it right, this thread is already long closed to return it and even if I returned I would be considered idiot that I dare. But still I know and I say: that's how it will go. Good luck with not winning anything ever.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I honestly wouldn’t understand a 4-5 year deal for Matthews.
Leaves him in the worst age to get paid that longterm UFA deal

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, also last time I got flood of Toronto fans to come me with messages like: "what stuff are you taking" etc.

Let's put it simple: If and when that 13.5x5 deal is done, it nails the Toronto success to max winning one-two series during those years. Yes, I said it. I said it last time and say it now.

Like last time, I get lot of shit and afterward when I have got it right, this thread is already long closed to return it and even if I returned I would be considered idiot that I dare. But still I know and I say: that's how it will go. Good luck with not winning anything ever.

You feel that you are being persecuted by Toronto fans.

Kipper thinks Matthew will sign for 13.5M.

You might be considered an idiot. I don't know. Not winning anything is not good luck.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He will end up making sure its a 3 year deal at most....I strongly feel he wont do a 4 or 5 year one cause it doesnt overly benefit HIM as much as far as maximizing his career earnings

He will make sure hes up for a new deal the season after McDavid is so then he can try to get paid more when he is a UFA

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018

I have to agree, if Matthews takes a 5-year deal it feels that it would be a good thing for Toronto.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I hope he gets it.....which will pretty much ensure that the Leafs will never be able to win a cup. They won't be able to afford the quality depth they will need to win anything.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If this kind of negotiation becomes popular with players and agents (why wouldn’t it, it makes a lot of sense from their perspective), I wonder if in the next CBA the league should simply tie cap percentage contracts directly to the cap.

Sign players to a percentage, so their actual salary rises and falls with the cap itself.

This might protect teams against this kind of exploitive behavior.

You wouldn’t see “well, in 5 years that $13m won’t seem as bad”. Anymore. And I think it would allow teams to negotiate lowers percentages than what we see today, flipping the script and telling the player “well, by the end of the contract this 14% is going to be worth $20m a year”

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Matthews really does only want 3 years, that shows where his priorities are. A mercenary who only cares about being paid top dollar and doesn't actually care about building a winning team.

Why would he want 3 years to be a mercenary? He can walk to the open market in a year and there’s nothing we can do about it.

Reactions: PainForShane

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I have to agree, if Matthews takes a 5-year deal it feels that it would be a good thing for Toronto.
if he takes a 5 year deal then he may as well go for 8... makes zero sense for him to do a 5 year deal cause it puts him at such an awkward age for another contract after that... IMO it is going to be either a 2 or 3 year deal or else a 8 year massive contract.... or just no deal at all and waits for free agency and walks

Reactions: PainForShane

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What good is PPG when you can't play a whole season?

Fair... by that standard here are a bunch of players who are not near the top of the league due to time missed

MacKinnon
Kucherov
Crosby
Barkov
Marchand
Makar
Petterson
Hughes

There is a lot...

Strangle

May 4, 2009
What's the incentive to take a short contract? I don't understand why he wouldn't be aiming for a long term deal. With his history of injuries that's a huge gamble to take.

I think the circumstances are uniquely allowing this to be the Most Effective Tactic Available (META) for players with regard to contract negotiation.

The covid years flattened the cap, with a lot of noise about large cap rises in coming seasons.

This has given players/agents the idea that a long term deal now, could be leaving a lot of money on the table when the cap rises.

Fans all thought this would help teams by signing players to long term contracts (because why wouldn’t they want to sign long term? They always have in the past), and lock them in to a cap hit that will become a lower and lower percentage over the course of the contract.

Agents have figured this out from the other side and it looks like we are seeing them start to advise players to sign shorter contracts while the cap is low, presumably to sign the longer term contract to end their career at the highest possible cap the league has at the time of signing.

Something should really try to account for this in the next CBA, if this becomes true META in player contracts it will not be good for the league (although the NHLPA probably loves it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad