Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The young core Lou gave him? He drafted one of those guys, and it was picking Matthews with the 1OA pick.
Doesn’t matter who drafted them , Dubas inherited them all.

At the time, 99% of the people thought it was a good idea.
And when he signed, he was celebrated like the god of this earth.
Not to mention, he was very good at the beginning, I guess people have short attention span’s
Don’t even think 99% of leaf fans thought it was a good idea, but would have been a lot.
Definitely non Leafs fan’s thought it was an overpay, regardless of SJ.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yes, it does.

How many other coaches, GMs etc were there after 1967, and how many of their kids or grandkids followed a similar path in the Soo, the entire OHL or elsewhere in junior hockey?

The family connection doesn't get you the job, or everyone would be doing that.

No matter who your grandfather is, you have to earn the job on your own.
Thats a terrible argument. How many people in Canada want the easy path that Dubas had/his connections vs. how many people has similar access as him. His pool of competitors goes from hundreds of thousands to only a few hundred.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Its actually much harder to pick Nylander at 8 than Matthews at 1.

I think we’ve got our wires crossed. I meant Lou only drafted one of those guys, not Dubas. Dubas didn’t draft any one of them except for maybe some partial input when him and Hunter were running the team in 2015, but Hunter was the draft guy.

I agree, Nylander at 8 was probably the hardest of the three. That was reportedly Shanny’s doing.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think we’ve got our wires crossed. I meant Lou only drafted one of those guys, not Dubas. Dubas didn’t draft any one of them except for maybe some partial input when him and Hunter were running the team in 2015, but Hunter was the draft guy.

I agree, Nylander at 8 was probably the hardest of the three. That was reportedly Shanny’s doing.
Ah I see. Anyways, the point was that Dubas' got a young core that got bigger/stronger/more experienced (i.e. better at hockey over 5 prime aged years). A core on the upswing and the record just gets maintained isn't much to write home about.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How is the core being on ELCs helpful to him? Lou oversaw the easiest part of the era. A bunch of kids playing basically for free with zero expectations. Dubas inherited the first actual challenge, getting them signed and keeping the team competitive.

Don’t love the contracts, but even if he got them all signed to complete steals you’re looking at adding like $20m-$25m to your roster. Apart from one year where Babcock lost the room and had to be replaced, Dubas maintained a 100+ point team and for the last three years had 110+ point teams.
Did any other teams struggle to sign their young stats to to reasonable contracts? If the best Montreal could offersheet Aho was 8.4 million (a compensation of a 1st, 2nd, 3rd) do you really think someone was gonna offer Marner more than the 6/ 10.8 million the leafs gave him and pay 4 first round picks too? Including all the up front salary bonuses.

Leafs literally handed Marner a contract better than any offersheet Marner would've ever received.

#%it maybe Dubas should've held out and let Marner sign a contract that he could just match.... probably would've been better than the one he gave him.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Malkin and Letang are probably very upset right now that their turns at unrestricted free agency came a year before Dubas' arrival as GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

If Dubas had have been the GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins while Malkin and Letang were free agents, then both Malkin and Letang could have probably squeezed an extra $2 million to $3 million per year out of Dubas.

Just look at how Dubas handled the contract negotiations of Matthews and Marner.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Thats a terrible argument. How many people in Canada want the easy path that Dubas had/his connections vs. how many people has similar access as him. His pool of competitors goes from hundreds of thousands to only a few hundred.
You seriously think that only a few hundred people have a relative coach a junior hockey team over the past 60 or 70 years?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You seriously think that only a few hundred people have a relative coach a junior hockey team over the past 60 or 70 years?

Lol. A few hundred is reasonable. There's not that many major junior hockey teams and dubas' is a grandson not random cousin.

How about compare to the millions of canadians who didn't have a relative who can give dubas' the huge leg up that he needed.
You can't seriously think he didn't have an advantage.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Lol. A few hundred is reasonable. There's not that many major junior hockey teams and dubas' is a grandson not random cousin.

How about compare to the millions of canadians who didn't have a relative who can give dubas' the huge leg up that he needed.
You can't seriously think he didn't have an advantage.
It's pretty obvious he had an advantage considering he had zero qualifications and did not understand the sport at all.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I see that there is an argument in this thread concerning the circumstances in which Kyle Dubas was hired by the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds organization.

Some people are saying that it was due to him having family members previously working for the Greyhounds in a coaching capacity.

Other people are saying that his Sports Management degree at Brock University got him the job with the Greyhounds.

I am going to have to side with the first group of people on this one.

He earned his Sports Management degree at a university in St. Catharine's Ontario, and this is approximately 784 KM away from Sault Ste. Marie (according to Google Maps).

If it was his Sports Management degree that qualified him for a job and got him hired, then why did he decide to take a job 784 KM from where he obtained the university degree?

Weren't any other junior teams closer to St. Catharine's offering him a job if his Sports Management degree was everything he needed to be qualified?

Isn't it a bit suspicious that the team he started working for (the Greyhounds) was the exact same team that he had family connections to?

He didn't have family connections with any other team, and then he starts working for the one team he did have family connections to.

So based on all of this, it is quite obvious that Dubas getting hired by the Greyhounds had more to do with the fact that his family had connections to the organization and Dubas got preferential treatment in the hiring process, rather than his university degree getting him the job.

This conclusion is simply a matter of logic and common sense.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
People felt attached to Dubas, there was several posters on our board that loved Dubas more than the team. Like he was some god send, I don't understand it.

I mean understand it - he was one of the best GMs we had in the past couple decades - despite some of the obvious major flaws and mistakes he made.

If you can name me a better GM in the past 2 decades I'd be surprised

I think if he was fired for the right reasons - there wouldn't be this outrage. It's simply because he wasn't let go for his skill, rather the money and emotional aspect

• Haha

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I see that there is an argument in this thread concerning the circumstances in which Kyle Dubas was hired by the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds organization.

Some people are saying that it was due to him having family members previously working for the Greyhounds in a coaching capacity.

Other people are saying that his Sports Management degree at Brock University got him the job with the Greyhounds.

I am going to have to side with the first group of people on this one.

He earned his Sports Management degree at a university in St. Catharine's Ontario, and this is approximately 784 KM away from Sault Ste. Marie (according to Google Maps).

If it was his Sports Management degree that qualified him for a job and got him hired, then why did he decide to take a job 784 KM from where he obtained the university degree?

Weren't any other junior teams closer to St. Catharine's offering him a job if his Sports Management degree was everything he needed to be qualified?

Isn't it a bit suspicious that the team he started working for (the Greyhounds) was the exact same team that he had family connections to?

He didn't have family connections with any other team, and then he starts working for the one team he did have family connections to.

So based on all of this, it is quite obvious that Dubas getting hired by the Greyhounds had more to do with the fact that his family had connections to the organization and Dubas got preferential treatment in the hiring process, rather than his university degree getting him the job.

This conclusion is simply a matter of logic and common sense.
False dichotomy. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

He scouted for the Greyhounds while he studied at Brock. He worked for it too.

Reactions: cptjeff

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
People felt attached to Dubas, there was several posters on our board that loved Dubas more than the team. Like he was some god send, I don't understand it.
The average poster on here is more qualified to run an NHL franchise than Dubas. Seeing him get canned for his incompetence and lack of professionalism is frustrating when they would be able to do better and they know it.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Malkin and Letang are probably very upset right now that their turns at unrestricted free agency came a year before Dubas' arrival as GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

If Dubas had have been the GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins while Malkin and Letang were free agents, then both Malkin and Letang could have probably squeezed an extra $2 million to $3 million per year out of Dubas.

Just look at how Dubas handled the contract negotiations of Matthews and Marner.
Jake guantzel is licking his lips….

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

When the agent called Shanahan and told him that Dubas was indeed all in and shared a new financial structure I am told that the ask had gone from the $4m range to $6m over five years. I am not sure if the addition of the use of a private jet was originally part of the offer or added in later but it was definitely part of the package MLSE offered him and seen as a way to alleviate some of the travel and stress.

Dubas going from thinking he had a private jet to taking the bus in Pittsburgh.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't really get it. If his family lived elsewhere, that's on him. He has enough money to bring the family over. Don't need a private jet.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I personally feel that Dubas is a top 10 GM now. He wasn't early on, but seems to improve every year and learn from his mistakes. He makes more good moves than bad moves. The Murray deal sucked, but the Samsonov signing was great. Deadline deals to add grit this year was his best deadline yet. Team was poised to make a run, but they were Bobrovsky'd. You don't see Boston or Carolina firing their GMs. Although, Dubas wasn't a typical firing, I think he wanted to get fired, and rejected a good contract offer, and asked for unreasonable money.

I get the debate by Leafs fans about how good he is, some think he's where I do (top 10). Some think he's the best, some think he's below average. It is debateable. I did get a laugh from the few that say he didn't even deserve to be GM in the OHL, but every fanbase has a few extremists. There used to be "Gretzky sucks" folks, just like there is the odd "McDavid sucks" person now.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
False dichotomy. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

He scouted for the Greyhounds while he studied at Brock. He worked for it too.

What makes a guy who only played the game until 14, qualified to scout for a major junior hockey team (where his grandpa was a legendary coach). How many 20 year olds was that position made available to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad