Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Dubas would do fine in Pittsburgh, if that's where he goes.

I would wish him well there.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Because he took over a stacked 105 point playoff team where the core was on ELCs and just entering their primes…few GMs have this luxury. Context matters.

Dubas playoff series record after taking over a 105 point playoff team:
1 Win - 5 Losses

That also matters.

How is the core being on ELCs helpful to him? Lou oversaw the easiest part of the era. A bunch of kids playing basically for free with zero expectations. Dubas inherited the first actual challenge, getting them signed and keeping the team competitive.

Don’t love the contracts, but even if he got them all signed to complete steals you’re looking at adding like $20m-$25m to your roster. Apart from one year where Babcock lost the room and had to be replaced, Dubas maintained a 100+ point team and for the last three years had 110+ point teams.

Last edited:

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
How is the core being on ELCs helpful to him? Lou oversaw the easiest part of the era. A bunch of kids playing basically for free with zero expectations. Dubas inherited the first actual challenge, getting them signed and keeping the team competitive.

Don’t love the contracts, but even if he got them all signed to complete steals you’re looking at adding like $20m-$25m to your roster. Apart from one year where Babcock lost the room and had to be replaced, Dubas maintained a 100+ point team and for the last three years had 110+ point teams.
Dubas made the mistake of firing Babcock instead of trading some of the lazy floaters who were whining about the coach. That set the standard for the culture and removed any hope of Marner, Nylander, or Rielly becoming team players. He then proceeded to sign every last one of his core players to absolute terrible contracts thanks to Tavares setting the internal structure.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Even if hes not holding out for Ottawa, Dubas would be stupid to go to the Penguins - who wants to be the captain of a sinking ship?
Doobler wants to.

He is desperate for work after negotiating himself out of a job.

Pittsburgh vs unemployment means the difference between a 15M - 60M dollar contract vs nothing for Kyle.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
How is the core being on ELCs helpful to him?
Please tell me you’re kidding?
Kyle failed on the contract front (as has been well documented), he failed on the trading front, he failed on the goalie front (Mrazek, Sparks, Murray lmao), he failed on the coaching front (will Keefe even get another job in the league?), and most importantly, he failed to get results. His tenure, when people look back without all the emotions involved, will largely be considered a failure.

Playoff series record for the Leafs under Dubas:

1 Series Win - 5 Series Losses

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I'm amused by all the Dubas-haters still spitting and hissing at the curbside long after he's gone.

He's not the best and he's not the worst at what he does. He is very accomplished for his age, and now he's on his way -- whether that's out of work entirely or on to another job.

In any case, he's not here anymore and I can't help but wonder if some of the invective thrown his way arises from envy from his age-peers, very few of whom would have yet accomplished any comparable personal success in their own lives.

Reactions: HofT

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm amused by all the Dubas-haters still spitting and hissing at the curbside long after he's gone.

He's not the best and he's not the worst at what he does. He is very accomplished for his age, and now he's on his way -- whether that's out of work entirely or on to another job.

In any case, he's not here anymore and I can't help but wonder if some of the invective thrown his way arises from envy from his age-peers, very few of whom would have yet accomplished any comparable personal success in their own lives.
I’m amused by the Dubas lovers, lamenting he’s gone.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I’m amused by the Dubas lovers, lamenting he’s gone.

Agreed, I don't know if I should leaf or feel embarrassed for em.

There's no "Love" for Dubas - it's a matter of who you would replace him with. I see fanboys of Doug Armstrong, Treliving, heck even some talk of Marc Bergevin or Peter Chiarelli.

If you look at the fish in the pond, its sad but there's not many competent GMs in this league. We might risk getting even someone like Jim Benning as our GM.

You can hate on Kyle Dubas or celebrate all you want, I'll admit he was out of his mind with some of his mistakes like Marleau, Mrazek, Foligno, etc. But at the time of the Tavares signing - everyone was stocked, and the going rate in free agency was higher than the 11M he was offered (including from teams like Boston, NYI, SJS).

My point is - I don't think any of the names mentioned to replace Dubas are actually better than him or as smart. If it's someone like Eric Tulsky - sure I'm all on board.

The other reason people hate the firing is the reason Dubas got fired - it seems like more of a power/emotional move rather than actually based off his skills considering he was offered an extension

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
There's no "Love" for Dubas - it's a matter of who you would replace him with. I see fanboys of Doug Armstrong, Treliving, heck even some talk of Marc Bergevin or Peter Chiarelli.

If you look at the fish in the pond, its sad but there's not many competent GMs in this league. We might risk getting even someone like Jim Benning as our GM.

You can hate on Kyle Dubas or celebrate all you want, I'll admit he was out of his mind with some of his mistakes like Marleau, Mrazek, Foligno, etc. But at the time of the Tavares signing - everyone was stocked, and the going rate in free agency was higher than the 11M he was offered (including from teams like Boston, NYI, SJS).

My point is - I don't think any of the names mentioned to replace Dubas are actually better than him or as smart. If it's someone like Eric Tulsky - sure I'm all on board.

The other reason people hate the firing is the reason Dubas got fired - it seems like more of a power/emotional move rather than actually based off his skills considering he was offered an extension

People felt attached to Dubas, there was several posters on our board that loved Dubas more than the team. Like he was some god send, I don't understand it.

Reactions: Wings4Life

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

He's accomplished because of his family connections.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He's accomplished because of his family connections.
That sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

His grandfather, Walter, coached the Greyhounds from 1960-67, long before Kyle was born, in the Northern Ontario Jr. A Hockey League that doesn't exist anymore. The league dissolved and in 1970 a new Jr B league with the same name was created, with the Hounds going to another Jr. A league that doesn't exist anymore either.

I understand that Kyle's father was at one time an intern with the Greyhounds, but it stretches the imagination to think that his aged grandfather's long-ago coaching career and his his father's internship held the door open for him to the general manager's office in the Soo.

I think getting that job probably had a lot more to do with his own scouting work for the Greyhounds, and his degree in sports management from Brock.

Do you have anything to add?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Mostly because the young core that Lou gave him aged to their prime/peak years.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
That sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

His grandfather, Walter, coached the Greyhounds from 1960-67, long before Kyle was born, in the Northern Ontario Jr. A Hockey League that doesn't exist anymore. The league dissolved and in 1970 a new Jr B league with the same name was created, with the Hounds going to another Jr. A league that doesn't exist anymore either.

I understand that Kyle's father was at one time an intern with the Greyhounds, but it stretches the imagination to think that his aged grandfather's long-ago coaching career and his his father's internship held the door open for him to the general manager's office in the Soo.

I think getting that job probably had a lot more to do with his own scouting work for the Greyhounds, and his degree in sports management from Brock.

Do you have anything to add?

You think it stretches the imagination that his grandfather's connections to the old boys club at the greyhounds helped him with the exposure necessary to get to those positions and make friends with all the right people?

If you don't think a family name matters then why didn't Dubas take his Brock University Degree to scout for the SKA St.Petersburg's junior team?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You think it stretches the imagination that his grandfather's connections to the old boys club at the greyhounds helped him with the exposure necessary to get to those positions and make friends with all the right people?
Yes, it does.

How many other coaches, GMs etc were there after 1967, and how many of their kids or grandkids followed a similar path in the Soo, the entire OHL or elsewhere in junior hockey?

The family connection doesn't get you the job, or everyone would be doing that.

No matter who your grandfather is, you have to earn the job on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad