Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Right. Personally, I suspect he meant "Maple Leafs or nowhere" when he said it. But I don't think he was expecting them to fire him when he responded to the contract offer. Once that happened, I'm sure it changed Dubas' mind on a few things.
So the stress on his family was bullshit? Now things are good?

"But you won't see me next week pop up elsewhere. I can't put them through that after this year."

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I am saying this as a Habs fan.

Dubas did a good job with the Leafs. He built them into being one of the top teams in the league points wise for the last few years. The roster this year is the best and deepest that it has been over the core four years. They have brought in a lot of defensive depth too.

When looking at a GM you have to look at their whole body of work. Sure Dubas screwed a few things up with some trades and signings but overall he was net positive. You will not find a GM in the NHL who has never screwed up on a trade or signing. It unfortunately happens with the job. If you take risks then you may possibly screw up.

A GM can build a team as best as they can but they still have no control over the game. It is up to the players and coaching staff to be at their best to give the greatest opportunities to win. All that a GM can do is give the best roster that they can.

Dubas is young and if and when he goes to a new team he should learn from his mistakes. I find his first few years he was being a GM like he was playing a video game. It was all offence all the time. He has learned and has brought in a lot more defensive help the last few years. He will be sought after because of his age as well. Teams will be picking him up thinking that he could be part of their organization for many years to come. Possibly decades.

Toronto already had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen, Kadri when he got the job.

You can’t ask for a better start to your Gm career and he achieved zero with Torontos ”golden core”

Overpaid Matthews/Marner, anchored himself into Tavares contract.
Kadri for Barrie was garbage, paying 1st for Foligno was garbage. Going all in with Murray& Samsonov was highly questionable

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
At the moment, Dubas has a great reputation in the NHL. It's difficult for us to know if he absolutely deserves this reputation, but I have no doubt that most teams in the League would love to have him in some capacity. And apparently Pittsburgh has offered him a job. It seems clear that most people who know him, like him a lot.

But there's certainly differing opinions in Leafs Nation, and beyond.

And if you compare him to Shanahan....I don't think anybody who has ever known Shanahan, likes him. There is a huge gap in the popularity of these two guys, which I think is the reason Shanahan went after Dubas with such cunning precision in his press conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melrose Munch

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
At the moment, Dubas has a great reputation in the NHL. It's difficult for us to know if he absolutely deserves this reputation, but I have no doubt that most teams in the League would love to have him in some capacity. And apparently Pittsburgh has offered him a job. It seems clear that most people who know him, like him a lot.

But there's certainly differing opinions in Leafs Nation, and beyond.

And if you compare him to Shanahan....I don't think anybody who has ever known Shanahan, likes him. There is a huge gap in the popularity of these two guys, which I think is the reason Shanahan went after Dubas with such cunning precision in his press conference.
Is there a link to the job offer? I havent seen anything reported. Dubas seems to be nice to people and has developed a following. Do they still like him now that he put all their jobs in peril? Seems like mourning and panic

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Is there a link to the job offer? I havent seen anything reported. Dubas seems to be nice to people and has developed a following. Do they still like him now that he put all their jobs in peril? Seems like mourning and panic
I don't have the links at my fingertips (I think some of them were stated on various podcasts), but I think Elliotte Freidman has said the job in Pittsburgh is Dubas' if he wants it; Chris Johnston has said he's hearing it's 98% that he's going to Pittsbugh; somebody else has said Pittsburgh has made an offer, and Dubas will take the weekend to decide. Some unknowns about whether it's President or GM or both. And other reports that Ottawa is still a possibility.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't have the links at my fingertips (I think some of them were stated on various podcasts), but I think Elliotte Freidman has said the job in Pittsburgh is Dubas' if he wants it; Chris Johnston has said he's hearing it's 98% that he's going to Pittsbugh; somebody else has said Pittsburgh has made an offer, and Dubas will take the weekend to decide. Some unknowns about whether it's President or GM or both. And other reports that Ottawa is still a possibility.
If Dubas goes to Pittsburgh I wonder how the media (in Toronto) would react compared to if he went to the Sens? Got think Dubas in Pittsburgh would be a quick story then he’s forgotten. But if he goes to the Sens it would be constant stories.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Its not media, its fake journalism that need to get there clicks during the summer season. so anything leafs related will get them those clicks.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
I for one am very curious to hear more about this "blackmail" the OP mentioned.
Lets say you asked me to fix your leaky roof before winter and I tell you I will
Then as winter gets close I agree and tell you the cost just send me the legal agreement
Then I stall and stall, finaly 3 days before the largest snowfall in history I pull up throw our agreement in the dirt instead of signing it and demand twice as much because that water will ruin your house and you need me to start now..

Thats my version of "blackmail". You can go find someone else sure... but you don't have much time.
Would you recommend me for a job or expect your neighborhood to bow down and beg me to work for them in the future?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So the stress on his family was bullshit? Now things are good?

"But you won't see me next week pop up elsewhere. I can't put them through that after this year."
No, it was not bullshit. He took time to talk with his family, and decided that he would stay with the Leafs. By that time, Shannahan changed his mind and decided not to offer him a new contract which for all intents and purposes was fireing him. Now, he may have changed his mind about Toronto or nowhere.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Lets say you asked me to fix your leaky roof before winter and I tell you I will
Then as winter gets close I agree and tell you the cost just send me the legal agreement
Then I stall and stall, finaly 3 days before the largest snowfall in history I pull up throw our agreement in the dirt instead of signing it and demand twice as much because that water will ruin your house and you need me to start now..

Thats my version of "blackmail". You can go find someone else sure... but you don't have much time.
Would you recommend me for a job or expect your neighborhood to bow down and beg me to work for them in the future?
That's... Literally not blackmail though. Like not even within the realm of the definition of the word.

You could argue extortion, maybe possibly racketeering at a stretch, but even then... No. Doesn't apply to your scenario, doesn't apply to anything Dubas did.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
That's... Literally not blackmail though. Like not even within the realm of the definition of the word.

You could argue extortion, maybe possibly racketeering at a stretch, but even then... No. Doesn't apply to your scenario, doesn't apply to anything Dubas did.
Cool extortion it is. And thats what he did.
Shanny laid it out.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Even if hes not holding out for Ottawa, Dubas would be stupid to go to the Penguins - who wants to be the captain of a sinking ship? Even if its a really famous one....That has to be one of the least desirable jobs in hockey right now.

The team is already being run by the old veteran players and their coach who haven't realized yet they cant/wont ever win as a group together again..... And they're all committed to not rebuilding, and will instead continue to mortgage the teams future for what amounts to nothing.

He would have even less freedom than he was used to in Toronto. He would inherit a barren prospect pool and have no real valuable assets to trade or build around (other than the HHoFers that he's not allowed to trade)....

And so his team will realistically be 5-10 years from being relevant again (considering the Pens probably have another couple years before they actually just fall apart at the seams).

Like seriously it's as bleak an outlook as it gets for a young GM thats highly sought after. Give the Penguins job to a savvy old vet GM who gives no f***s about his future in the league, or about the future of the team after he and the core players go down swinging.

And I'll be shocked if Dubas doesn't also see it that way.

Last edited:

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Johnston said he heard from people not involved in the situation that they believe..I'm not sure if that means his children or a actual source. Friedman kept saying "I think" before every sentence.
I guess it sounds like it might happen but who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad