Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Yep, and how often did Toronto bring in experienced Stanley Cup winners in management and coaching staff over the last 30 years and still haven't even sniffed the cup? Experience means very little.

If you're truly a good president, GM or coach - you would win a cup in Toronto. That's the true test.

I offer that challenge to anyone who thinks they're good enough. Toronto is waiting.
I'll take that challenge.

Are you sure you have that kind of pull?

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Kyle has you all fooled and doesn't want to be micromanaged by MLSE and Shannahan. Do people only follow the headlines or keep up with the story. I guessiit's 2023 nevermind.

He'll be fine and another meddling Canadian franchise will suffer.
Micromanaged? How do you figure that?

The guy has been running wild since he decided $11M for a #2C was a good idea.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
FSG must really like him. They wouldn't bring him in just to fire him for not getting an ancient penguins team another cup. He'll likely have complete autonomy to go for it and then be in charge of the rebuild.

Reactions: Reparlana

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I defended Dubas for having an agent negotiate his contract, but I was assuming he wasn't using the same agency as one of his players.

Because that would be idiotic.

I don’t get the angle from the agency’s side. Wouldn’t they rather have Dubas at 5 mil negotiating a 8x14 with Matthews right now? Risking a 120 million dollar contract so you can squeeze out an extra 10 for Dubas strikes me as shortsighted.

Reactions: Reparlana

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Seems that the only issue here is a lack of clarity.
Dubas agent isn't an NHL certified Agent, he works for the same organization that does have NHL certified agents, the wording is The "Agent cannot represent the organization and players." so they need to clarify if that applies to the organization as a whole or just the individual agents, and make sure there was no overlap inside the organization.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I don’t get the angle from the agency’s side. Wouldn’t they rather have Dubas at 5 mil negotiating a 8x14 with Matthews right now? Risking a 120 million dollar contract so you can squeeze out an extra 10 for Dubas strikes me as shortsighted.

It could be as simple as Wasserman wants Dubas to agree to a x contract term from
Player A and in return we will give you a cut of commissions and / or help you in your own contact negotiations and we won’t charge commissions or charge a lower our fee.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Micromanaged? How do you figure that?

The guy has been running wild since he decided $11M for a #2C was a good idea.
At the time, 99% of the people thought it was a good idea.
And when he signed, he was celebrated like the god of this earth.
Not to mention, he was very good at the beginning, I guess people have short attention span’s

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not to mention, he was very good at the beginning, I guess people have short attention span’s
Maybe leaf fans, others thought it was an overpay.

Reactions: cptjeff

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You get judged for the full duration of the contract, not the first couple of years.

A signing or trade isn’t won or lost the day it happened, time will reveal that. Tkachuk trade is a good example of this as many on HF were very wrong about that one.

Reactions: cptjeff

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
No definitely Dubas,
???

It was literally Shanahan that basically leaked the entire contract discussions.
Dubas did the exact opposite, I just talked about family.

What are you going on about?

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
99% may be a bit much, but yea a significant majority of people thought it was a good idea. Not surprisingly, a significant majority of people are completely unqualified to be an NHL GM.

My point was, given the plethora of moves, both good and questionable, it seems to be quite a stretch to suggest Dubas was micromanaged.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
99% may be a bit much, but yea a significant majority of people thought it was a good idea. Not surprisingly, a significant majority of people are completely unqualified to be an NHL GM.

My point was, given the plethora of moves, both good and questionable, it seems to be quite a stretch to suggest Dubas was micromanaged.
Here’s my thought process.
Dubas tells everybody it’s been hard on his family, and he’s not sure if he wants to do this in toronto.
He then makes a powerplay, that backfires.
Shanahan then spins that backfired, completely in Toronto’s favor, without honestly hearing dubas side.
Lots of leafs fans are now hating on Dubas.
Which they bring up every bad move he made, instead of all the good ones.
If he signed in Toronto, nobody would be saying anything.
And all the discussion would be able trading one of the top four

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Poor Dubas was shackled by management but apparently only during the post-season and not during the regular season where he went 221-109-42 in 5 seasons.

I think people here are focusing on the week or so after the Leafs were eliminated as to why Dubas wasn't retained when they should be focusing on the body of work which is 1 playoff victory in 5 seasons, despite impressive regular seasons.

I don't even get the shackled argument. Dubas made like 50 moves this trade deadline.
The issue between Shanahan and Dubas most likely concerns the core players. Shanahan has very clearly stated, over several years, that the core players will definitively not be traded. And he has apparently again made that clear recently.

Dubas most likely has wanted to make a major trade in order to diversify the team's strengths, and Shanahan most likely has said "no", the core guys will not be traded. It was probably a major issue when Dubas mentioned trading a core player in his presser.

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Here’s my thought process.
Dubas tells everybody it’s been hard on his family, and he’s not sure if he wants to do this in toronto.
He then makes a powerplay, that backfires.
Shanahan then spins that backfired, completely in Toronto’s favor, without honestly hearing dubas side.
Lots of leafs fans are now hating on Dubas.
Which they bring up every bad move he made, instead of all the good ones.
If he signed in Toronto, nobody would be saying anything.
And all the discussion would be able trading one of the top four
Well as long as we're speculating.............
  • Board doesn't want Dubas around anymore at the end of last season but Shanahan convinces them to stay the course
  • Shanahan endorses his summer moves
  • Shanahan endorses his TDL moves and convinces the Board to extend him
  • He tells Dubas they want to extend him
  • Dubas says he doesn't want to be distracted at that time of year (because GM's are so busy after the TDL ?)
  • Shanahan works with the agent and hammers out a framework everyone is seemingly happy with
  • Meanwhile Burke and Hextall are canned and Penguin rumors begin to swirl
  • Shanahan suggests Dubas not speak at the media day and wait until his new deal is announced later in the week
  • Dubas says he wants to speak
  • Tosses out the "tough on family", "not sure I want to come back", but "it's the Leafs or nowhere"
  • All of the hockey world (including Shanny and the Board) collectively go "hmmmmm"
  • Couple of days later, new contract demands are given for more compensation and (allegedly) direct access to the Board
  • At this point (IMO) those on the Board that wanted him gone before, put there feet down and tell Shanahan to get rid of him
  • A few days later (surprise, surprise, surprise) Dubas is interviewing with the Pens
Seems like a distinct possibly that this may have been the plan all along. Either I get what I want here, or I'm off to meet Sid and Geno

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Well as long as we're speculating.............
  • Board doesn't Dubas around anymore at the end of last season but Shanahan convinces them to stay the course
  • Shanahan endorses his summer moves
  • Shanahan endorses his TDL moves and convinces the Board to extend him
  • He tells Dubas they want to extend him
  • Dubas says he doesn't want to be distracted at that time of year (because GM's are so busy after the TDL ?)
  • Shanahan works with the agent and hammers out a framework everyone is seemingly happy with
  • Meanwhile Burke and Hextall are canned and Penguin rumors begin to swirl
  • Shanahan suggests Dubas not speak at the media day and wait until his new deal is announced later in the week
  • Dubas says he wants to speak
  • Tosses out the "tough on family", "not sure I want to come back", but "it's the Leafs or nowhere"
  • All of the hockey world (including Shanny and the Board) collectively go "hmmmmm"
  • Couple of days later, new contract demands are given for more compensation and (allegedly) direct access to the Board
  • At this point (IMO) those on the Board that wanted him gone before, put there feet down and tell Shanahan to get rid of him
  • A few days later (surprise, surprise, surprise) Dubas is interviewing with the Pens
Seems like a distinct possibly that this may have been the plan all along. Either I get what I want here, or I'm off to meet Sid and Geno
why exactly would Dubas do any of that drama nonsense instead of just saying he was not resigning and bailing when his contract was up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad