Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
why exactly would Dubas do any of that drama nonsense instead of just saying he was not resigning and bailing when his contract was up?
Not picking on you, fyi

Re-signing and
Resigning

Must be the 2 most words on this forum that are used wrongly daily.
Posters are saying the exact opposite of what they think their saying lol.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
How can the 4 core players be guaranteed their safety before a new GM has even been hired? That rumour has to be false.

The Leafs would essentially be handcuffing a new GM before he's even been hired.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
This a very serious matter.

If Dubas has a strong business relationship with Wasserman, there is a potential scenario to agree to any Wasserman represented player (eg Matthews) salary demands and Dubas can get a kickback or gift/favour from Wasserman.

I hope this is not happening.
Exactly. Frankly I doubt it is happening. But these rules are in place for that reason.

Reactions: Petrus

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
why exactly would Dubas do any of that drama nonsense instead of just saying he was not resigning and bailing when his contract was up?

To get more money and power with the team. Money was obviously the #1 motivator. He was trying to drive his price up in the end-season presser. Everyone knew the Pittsburgh rumors as well, he was trying to get MLSE to get desperate and offer him more $ and control over the team. It's like the thought he had Sakic's resume or something.

If he was given the "financial package" he asked for, he would've come back. Money was the motivator here, he used his kids and wife as leverage to try and negotiate for more saying he's not sure if he wants to come back or not.

If it truly was the family issue like he said, a new counter offer wouldn't have been presented by him and his agent.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
To get more money and power with the team. Money was obviously the #1 motivator. He was trying to drive his price up in the end-season presser. Everyone knew the Pittsburgh rumors as well, he was trying to get MLSE to get desperate and offer him more $ and control over the team. It's like the thought he had Sakic's resume or something.

If he was given the "financial package" he asked for, he would've come back. Money was the motivator here, he used his kids and wife as leverage to try and negotiate for more saying he's not sure if he wants to come back or not.

If it truly was the family issue like he said, a new counter offer wouldn't have been presented by him and his agent.
If we think about the stories of Shanny rejecting some of the deals Dubas wanted. It makes more sense that he wanted full control and shanny said no.

He was going to make a lot of money either way.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The issue between Shanahan and Dubas most likely concerns the core players. Shanahan has very clearly stated, over several years, that the core players will definitively not be traded. And he has apparently again made that clear recently.

Dubas most likely has wanted to make a major trade in order to diversify the team's strengths, and Shanahan most likely has said "no", the core guys will not be traded. It was probably a major issue when Dubas mentioned trading a core player in his presser.
If Dubas had worked out a Marner for Tkatchuk trade, my head will explode. Though I doubt it, because it seemingly has been Shanahan whose wanted grit and killer instance over soft play.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Well as long as we're speculating.............
  • Board doesn't want Dubas around anymore at the end of last season but Shanahan convinces them to stay the course
  • Shanahan endorses his summer moves
  • Shanahan endorses his TDL moves and convinces the Board to extend him
  • He tells Dubas they want to extend him
  • Dubas says he doesn't want to be distracted at that time of year (because GM's are so busy after the TDL ?)
  • Shanahan works with the agent and hammers out a framework everyone is seemingly happy with
  • Meanwhile Burke and Hextall are canned and Penguin rumors begin to swirl
  • Shanahan suggests Dubas not speak at the media day and wait until his new deal is announced later in the week
  • Dubas says he wants to speak
  • Tosses out the "tough on family", "not sure I want to come back", but "it's the Leafs or nowhere"
  • All of the hockey world (including Shanny and the Board) collectively go "hmmmmm"
  • Couple of days later, new contract demands are given for more compensation and (allegedly) direct access to the Board
  • At this point (IMO) those on the Board that wanted him gone before, put there feet down and tell Shanahan to get rid of him
  • A few days later (surprise, surprise, surprise) Dubas is interviewing with the Pens
Seems like a distinct possibly that this may have been the plan all along. Either I get what I want here, or I'm off to meet Sid and Geno
Why did Dubas go in front of the media and air his dirty laundry? He wasn't even asked about it, he just offered it up. Reminded me a bit of when Avery called the reporters over to talk about "sloppy seconds". Obviously not as controversial though. Could it be that Dubas was trying to use the media to send a message to the board, thinking they were unaware of his feelings (Shanahan blocking them) and thought the media would cause MLSE to sit up, investigate (maybe Dubas could tell them about the players he tried to acquire) and then they would accept his new terms? That backfired and Shanahan, seeing the move he pulled, fired him.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Why is the media so determined that Dubas is owed a GM job without being interviewed?
Or in the Sens case without a new ower or available position?

Is this a sign the "old boys club" is no longer a thing? After trying to screw over Shanny and the Leafs in a blackmail attempt one would think he would have problems being trusted but the media and pod casters are acting like the Pitts job might not impress him as much as the Sens. Does he not need a reference or at least an interview?

I have never seen anything like this before. After turning the leafs 10 year window into basically next year only what has he proven?

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Why is the media so determined that Dubas is owed a GM job without being interviewed?
Or in the Sens case without a new ower or available position?

Is this a sign the "old boys club" is no longer a thing? After trying to screw over Shanny and the Leafs in a blackmail attempt one would think he would have problems being trusted but the media and pod casters are acting like the Pitts job might not impress him as much as the Sens. Does he not need a reference or at least an interview?

I have never seen anything like this before. After turning the leafs 10 year window into basically next year only what has he proven?
the media I am reading have turned against him. IF the Shanahan blocking trades report is correct. Some view him as the fall guy

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
the media I am reading have turned against him. IF the Shanahan blocking trades report is correct. Some view him as the fall guy
Can I ask where your reading or seeing anything negative? A report on his agent isn't really against him, it's just whats happening in the news.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
There have been a lot of old boys club hit pieces on him in the media recently )conflict of interest with agent, kerfoot for 4th at TDL) etc

Certainly the old boys are working the media against him recently

Reactions: Menzinger

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am saying this as a Habs fan.

Dubas did a good job with the Leafs. He built them into being one of the top teams in the league points wise for the last few years. The roster this year is the best and deepest that it has been over the core four years. They have brought in a lot of defensive depth too.

When looking at a GM you have to look at their whole body of work. Sure Dubas screwed a few things up with some trades and signings but overall he was net positive. You will not find a GM in the NHL who has never screwed up on a trade or signing. It unfortunately happens with the job. If you take risks then you may possibly screw up.

A GM can build a team as best as they can but they still have no control over the game. It is up to the players and coaching staff to be at their best to give the greatest opportunities to win. All that a GM can do is give the best roster that they can.

Dubas is young and if and when he goes to a new team he should learn from his mistakes. I find his first few years he was being a GM like he was playing a video game. It was all offence all the time. He has learned and has brought in a lot more defensive help the last few years. He will be sought after because of his age as well. Teams will be picking him up thinking that he could be part of their organization for many years to come. Possibly decades.

Reactions: zeeto and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The media has reported both sides of the Dubas firing and are speculating where he might get a GM job next. The high amount of attention is because he was in Toronto. If Dubas was just fired from being the GM of a small market then the media wouldn’t cover it much.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Because he's 37, looks like hes 27, and wears glasses.

Someone else said that if you age him 30 years and take off the glasses, nobody wants to hire that guy based on his track record. Which I found both hilarious and probably true.

I like Dubas. Don't think he's the problem in Toronto, but you cannot deny his clear and obvious mistakes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am saying this as a Habs fan.

Dubas did a good job with the Leafs. He built them into being one of the top teams in the league points wise for the last few years. The roster this year is the best and deepest that it has been over the core four years. They have brought in a lot of defensive depth too.

When looking at a GM you have to look at their whole body of work. Sure Dubas screwed a few things up with some trades and signings but overall he was net positive. You will not find a GM in the NHL who has never screwed up on a trade or signing. It unfortunately happens with the job. If you take risks then you may possibly screw up.

A GM can build a team as best as they can but they still have no control over the game. It is up to the players and coaching staff to be at their best to give the greatest opportunities to win. All that a GM can do is give the best roster that they can.

Dubas is young and if and when he goes to a new team he should learn from his mistakes. I find his first few years he was being a GM like he was playing a video game. It was all offence all the time. He has learned and has brought in a lot more defensive help the last few years. He will be sought after because of his age as well. Teams will be picking him up thinking that he could be part of their organization for many years to come. Possibly decades.
Dubas got lucky with by getting some early, talented first rounders handed to him, who he signed prematurely to huge contracts. He has since then mortgaged the future of his team in an all or nothing type approach. So far, it's nothing, and the way things are trending, in the wrong direction(declining and untradable Tavares, problematic contracts coming due on Mathews, Nylander and Marner, a bevy of aging support players, a dearth of draft picks, and top heavy, unbalanced roster).

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Dubas didn’t fail the Leafs. His TDL moves this year were excellent. If Shanny had not blocked the Hagel trade they may have had a legit chance then.
You hope that Knies becomes as good as Hagel yet Shanahan refused to move him.
All indications are adding JT came from above as well.
What burned Dubas was Covid hitting right after the new contracts. Yes, they got overpaid but the JT deal forced that.
Add 4-6 mill to the cap, add Hagel @1.5.

It could have been a much better team.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Honestly I think it'd be hilarious if a couple weeks after he says "It's the Maple Leafs or nowhere" he takes a job with another franchise.

Right. Personally, I suspect he meant "Maple Leafs or nowhere" when he said it. But I don't think he was expecting them to fire him when he responded to the contract offer. Once that happened, I'm sure it changed Dubas' mind on a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad