Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
FB_IMG_1684852410603.jpg

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Not really, can have unlimited hockey ops , and can do 95% in signing bonuses for multiple players , no other team is doing that.
U kidding me ? I'd take 9 million dollars on July 1 and invest it .
Before most of the league get a sniff of money

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I am not a Kyle Dubas fan by any stretch of the imagination, He tied his hands with The contracts to the Core 4 and has spent the last 4 years trying to plug holes in is roster, always seeming to have enough resources to buy 2 less plugs than he has holes. without moving one of the core 4, not sure anybody could have done much better than he did.

That said, the mess the Leaf's find themselves in, no GM Core 4 getting NMC/NTC on July 1 st. 2 of the 4 one year away from UFA on July 1st with no ability to negotiate an extension until July 1 when players have all the cards is all on Shanahan.

Shannahan is the guy who removed an experienced GM and gave the job of the teams most impt contract extensions to an inexperienced Dubas. Where would they be today if LOU was left in for a t least a year to negotiate those extensions?

Shannahan is the guy that went into this year with a lame duck GM on an expiring contract knowing full well the problem with the July 1 NMC's and the need to extend or trade these guys.

Shannahan is the guy who did not get an extension done with Dubas or have a plan B if he couldn't do one or chose not to bring Dubas back.

The mess the Leafs find themselves in is not on Dubas, its on Shannahan. Typically in Leaf land it seems the plan is to blame the guy who is gone. Its not Dubas fault he has no cap space, its Lou signing Marleau to a 3rd year when Dubas full well knew the Marleau contract was there when he spent all the money, just Like Shannahan knew of the July 1st NMC bomb when he was unprepared with a backup plan.

The much vaunted Shannaplan seems to be not much more than wing it and hope for the best.

All of this. As a long time Leafs fan I've seen this story before. Shades of late 2000's early 2010 Leafs. All these leaf "fans" who think Dubas was so terrible.. Get back to me how awful it was to be a consistent top team in the league and know playoffs were a lock each fall before the puck even dropped vs collapsing in the regular season and making short sighted moves to win with a team that never could.

For once I have to just sit back and laugh with the anti leaf fans at this shit show. For me and many others, the losses we could handle but complete incompetency in management not sure I can do this again.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
How much does Sexiero think Marner was going to get.

The floor of any desk was $10million.

I like Dubas and think he was overall a good GM but several players that are equal to Marner signed for less money. Ridiculous to pretend that isn't the case:

Marner took 6 years @ 10.9 five years ago

Pasta is better and he just signed for 11.250 @ for a full 8 years. He was making 6 x 6.66 before that

Brayden Point - 8 x 9.5

Matthew Tkachuk - 8 x 9.5

Kucherov - 8 x 9.5

Rantanen - 8 x 9.25

We got fewer years and a higher AAV on Marner than anyone else was doing at the time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dubas' 2 major flaws with the Leafs were his handling of the Marner and Matthews contract negotiations and his insistence to bring back players or personnel from his junior days. I think blaming him for Tavares is absolutely silly, whoever was Toronto's GM was going to be forced to sign Tavares by Shanahan and upper management.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I like Dubas and think he was overall a good GM but several players that are equal to Marner signed for less money. Ridiculous to pretend that isn't the case:

Marner took 6 years @ 10.9 five years ago

Pasta is better and he just signed for 11.250 @ for a full 8 years. He was making 6 x 6.66 before that

Brayden Point - 8 x 9.5

Matthew Tkachuk - 8 x 9.5

Kucherov - 8 x 9.5

Rantanen - 8 x 9.25

We got fewer years and a higher AAV on Marner than anyone else was doing at the time.

Eichel got $10million x 8 years before his 3rd season. Marner was significantly better.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Dubas' 2 major flaws with the Leafs were his handling of the Marner and Matthews contract negotiations and his insistence to bring back players or personnel from his junior days. I think blaming him for Tavares is absolutely silly, whoever was Toronto's GM was going to be forced to sign Tavares by Shanahan and upper management.

Who approved those contracts? We are to believe Shanny was out in the woods with no cell service that entire time?

Bring back players from junior days. Oof that is a boomer level take he never made the team worse doing moves like that.

All I can say is, Dubas first half of his contract made the most mistakes and 2nd half was one of the best GM's in the league. Leafs paid a future HOF GM to learn on the job for them and then fired him when he figured it out. As a pens fan you better hope he takes that job because the Pens will be rebuilt into a contender solidly by him.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I agree, signing Tavares was not his fault.
But ‘we can and we will’ sticking with four forwards making up such a large percentage of the cap was the hill he ultimately died on. The logical move after the Montreal debacle was to trade Nylander for defensive help or a different mix of forwards.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who approved those contracts? We are to believe Shanny was out in the woods with no cell service that entire time?

Bring back players from junior days. Oof that is a boomer level take he never made the team worse doing moves like that.

All I can say is, Dubas first half of his contract made the most mistakes and 2nd half was one of the best GM's in the league. Leafs paid a future HOF GM to learn on the job for them and then fired him when he figured it out. As a pens fan you better hope he takes that job because the Pens will be rebuilt into a contender solidly by him.

Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? My point was that Shanahan and others wouldn't have let Dubas not sign Tavares.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Must be why the Leafs have so much success because of that enormous advantage.

If that front-loading was a big advantage, shouldn't the Leafs have excellent value contracts and not the opposite?
That’s on Dubas, he had the advantages, couldn’t get a good deal

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I am not a Kyle Dubas fan by any stretch of the imagination, He tied his hands with The contracts to the Core 4 and has spent the last 4 years trying to plug holes in is roster, always seeming to have enough resources to buy 2 less plugs than he has holes. without moving one of the core 4, not sure anybody could have done much better than he did.

That said, the mess the Leaf's find themselves in, no GM Core 4 getting NMC/NTC on July 1 st. 2 of the 4 one year away from UFA on July 1st with no ability to negotiate an extension until July 1 when players have all the cards is all on Shanahan.

Shannahan is the guy who removed an experienced GM and gave the job of the teams most impt contract extensions to an inexperienced Dubas. Where would they be today if LOU was left in for a t least a year to negotiate those extensions?

Shannahan is the guy that went into this year with a lame duck GM on an expiring contract knowing full well the problem with the July 1 NMC's and the need to extend or trade these guys.

Shannahan is the guy who did not get an extension done with Dubas or have a plan B if he couldn't do one or chose not to bring Dubas back.

The mess the Leafs find themselves in is not on Dubas, its on Shannahan. Typically in Leaf land it seems the plan is to blame the guy who is gone. Its not Dubas fault he has no cap space, its Lou signing Marleau to a 3rd year when Dubas full well knew the Marleau contract was there when he spent all the money, just Like Shannahan knew of the July 1st NMC bomb when he was unprepared with a backup plan.

The much vaunted Shannaplan seems to be not much more than wing it and hope for the best.

Lou is paying Barzal and Horvat almost 20 mil for neither of them to be a 1C. He bent over for Kovalchuk so hard he got fined and in the process lost his homegrown star to Minnesota for free.

Lou has a hard time negotiating when he has all the leverage, he might be the only guy in the league less equipped to deal with those 3 contracts than Dubas was.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Apparently Dubas and Marner were almost deadlocked on negotiations until "Shanny stepped in" which more likely than not he came in and gave more dollars or capitulated on term.

No way that a rookie GM was negotiating 10M deals without Shanny signing off on them and / or dominating the talk at the table.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I agree, signing Tavares was not his fault.
But ‘we can and we will’ sticking with four forwards making up such a large percentage of the cap was the hill he ultimately died on. The logical move after the Montreal debacle was to trade Nylander for defensive help or a different mix of forwards.
It's unlikely that it was Dubas that made the decision to keep all of the core group. Shanahan has stated several times over multiple years that the core guys will definitively not be traded. So, it was likely Shanahan's decision. And I suspect (though we dont know all the details) that was the major disagreement between them....Dubas wanted to make a big trade to improve the team, and Shanahan was preventing him from doing so.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Apparently Dubas and Marner were almost deadlocked on negotiations until "Shanny stepped in" which more likely than not he came in and gave more dollars or capitulated on term.

No way that a rookie GM was negotiating 10M deals without Shanny signing off on them and / or dominating the talk at the table.

Exactly. This is Shanny covering his ass and throwing Dubas under the bus. he wants an experienced GM to save the mess he made.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Dubas was the GM for 5 years and a part of the management team for 9 years

2015 - Missed playoffs
2016 - Missed playoffs
2017 - 1st round loss
2018 - 1st round loss
2019 - 1st round loss
2020 - Lost in play in round
2021 - 1st round loss
2022 - 1st round loss
2023 - 2nd round loss

Build this man a statue outside SBA immediately. My goodness the Dubas fan club makes me want to puke. On top of failing every year he turned out to be a complete weasel. What kinda person uses their wife and kids as leverage ? Dubas said it was a family decision not financial, he said it not us. He said he can't put his family through a move and won't pop up anywhere next week. He then asked for a different financial package and when he didn't get it, immediately turned to Pittsburgh. I cannot believe there's people that are still crying about him like he was some martyr. I swear to god the world has gone mad, where peoples feelings matter more than results. Sure he failed every year and is a complete weasel but we can't hurt his feelings !!!

Get real.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He gambled on two goalies... one paid off, and he got a 3rd and a 7th to do so...

There is talk Murray will be LTIR'd by one of the insiders (forget who).

Not a terrible trade. 4.6 mill in LTIR for a 3rd and 7th now.

They didn't make the trade to pick up a 3rd and put him on Robidas island. They made the trade because they wanted a proven Cup winner for under 5M.

Plus Murray's days in Ottawa were over. They could have had him for cheaper one way or another.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He gambled on two goalies... one paid off, and he got a 3rd and a 7th to do so...

It’s a terrible trade as most predicted from the moment it was made. Murray was a cap dump and Dubas only got a 3rd and 7th for taking on that much cap space.
And you just can’t assume he’s on LTIR because ‘there’s talk’. If Murray wants to play and he is able then that’s another year of wasted cap space.
Acquiring Samsonov doesn’t negate the brutal Murray trade.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

LTIR is out the window, he dressed for the last game, was healthy.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think Nylander's contract is bad, but Marner's is absolutely bad and for Matthews he either gets the money cause he gives up term, or he takes a haircut and gets walked to free agency. Dubas gave him both, so yeah, I think it's bad too.
Nylander’s contract is fine now. But I would not credit Dubas for this. RFA’s first contracts after their first pro contracts generally age well.

The context of how Nylander’s contract negotiations went was a L to Dubas. Nylander held out to Dec1, accepted a deal that at the time paid him more than Pastranak, Larkin and Ehlers. Got Dubas to agree he would never be traded while he was GM and for good measure put up 27 points after he signed. Agents took notice of how Dubas could get pushed around and that set up how Marner and Matthws negotiations went. Which was a byproduct that handcuffed the team to keep valuable support players.

This is why I said, I would not want Dubas anywhere near negotiating if he ever finds another GM job in the NHL. As a negotiator he was a failure. Which coincidentally also led to his own downfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad