Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I am not picking sides but I do have a question. The team did not offer him a new deal last summer and they said lets wait and see, then when the season is over he says he wants to have a few days to go over all of it with his family and he is out?

Thats kinda crappy imo. The team can play wait and see but wont even give him a few days to discuss with his family.
From what I've heard and read, Shanahan and his agent had basically reached an agreement on a new contract during the season, they just had to dot the i's and cross the t's. Most of the details were finalized. When Shanahan met with Dubas after the Leafs were out of the playoffs, Shanahan told him how he wanted to get the deal done quickly.

Then after the press conference Dubas's agent presented Shanahan with a significantly different offer than the one they'd been closing in on for months.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
From what I understand Shanahan told Dubas he wouldn't be offered a new contract at end of last season yibsee how things went. In March Shanahan went to talk contract and Dubas said no, he wanted to focus on hockey.

Before the press conference Shanahan told Dubas not to talk about being GM, but Dubas insisted. Shanahan was surprised by Dubas being so conflicted about being GM.

Shanahan spoke to Dubas and was even more concerned about Dubas having his head into being Leafs GM, his commitment and desire.

Shanahan had made an offer. Next thing he gets a counter proposal and at this point decides Dubas is out because of all this Dubas thinking out loud, and probably the more money.

If Dubas wanted time, then fine, if that's all there is. Buy he spoke to the press about his misgivings for no good reason, aside from thinking he was gaining leverage in negotiations by saying he may not come back. He apparently doubled down when he met with Shanahan. Then the misgivings are not a problem if he gets more money.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Is being the most sought-after and highly paid GM in the league a "stupid prize?" Because that's what Dubas will be as soon as he wants to.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
From what I've heard and read, Shanahan and his agent had basically reached an agreement on a new contract during the season, they just had to dot the i's and cross the t's. Most of the details were finalized. When Shanahan met with Dubas after the Leafs were out of the playoffs, Shanahan told him how he wanted to get the deal done quickly.

Then after the press conference Dubas's agent presented Shanahan with a significantly different offer than the one they'd been closing in on for months.
And we will never know if it was money (doubtful; the Leafs are rich) or demands for autonomy in GM decisions, like who the coach will be (likely)

Is being the most sought-after and highly paid GM in the league a "stupid prize?" Because that's what Dubas will be as soon as he wants to.
Yup. Dubas will get the things he wants with a new team. He will get the money and have autonomy to the level he wants.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Any of Kadri, Hyman, Mikheyev, Brown etc could have been kept, 5 mil is not hard to find. Kerfoot + Engvall vs any of those guys + a Marlie is cap even. They spent their money on the wrong players, the amount of money available was never a limiting factor.
Yes it was limiting. Leafs should have kept Kadri, Hyman at the least. And then who plays on defense? If Reilly is your best dman you are not good enough

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Guy's a millionaire and gets to do what we can only dream about. Doesn't mean he wasn't a jackass in the way he dealt with his contract. Also doesn't change the fact he was handed a loaded team and took it nowhere for half a decade.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Guy's a millionaire and gets to do what we can only dream about. Doesn't mean he wasn't a jackass in the way he dealt with his contract. Also doesn't change the fact he was handed a loaded team and took it nowhere for half a decade.
That has nothing to do with what I said -- I don't disagree.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I'm not even a Dubas supporter (indifferent on him) but there are two sides to every story. Just because Shanahan said how it played out doesn't necessarily mean that's exactly how it went down.

There is a lot more to this than he's saying because naturally he wants to look like the good guy and save face.

Shanahan is an even bigger fraud than Dubas is and yet he's still working for the Leafs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
BS he wanted a year off. That was him trying to play a stupid negotiation game. Hence why he then emailed Shanahan when he did it bite. No chance in hell this is a result he wanted. Was GM of one of the biggest organizations and best teams in the league. Had been working at it for 5 years and still had a chance to do something big with them.

Not to mention theres only 32 GM jobs in the league... I HIGHLY doubt any sane person would turn one down. Especially in Toronto where he had unlimited resources.

I mean, if he was 65 and had been a GM on and off for like 30 years I'd get it. But hes not even 40.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Those contracts were all bad when signed. Very bad. Marners is still bad. That cap hit for a regular season winger...
And by the way Matthews contract is still bad too due to the lack of term. If you are going to overpay a guy you think will be a star you better get some ufa years on the back end
LMAO. That’s all I needed to know about your opinion. Thanks for coming out

• Haha

horner

May 22, 2007
What did MLSE expect
Rookie president
Rookie GM
Rookie Coach

How different would things have been had we hired a George McPhee or someone with his experience to be president

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What did MLSE expect
Rookie president
Rookie GM
Rookie Coach

How different would things have been had we hired a George McPhee or someone with his experience to be president
Or just kept Lou Lam who had guided the club through the rebuild? Does Lou give those big contracts to Tavares, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander? Does Lou trade Kadri?

Reactions: cptjeff and horner

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lombardi wasn’t even good enough to replace Chuck Fletcher in Philly. Sean Burke currently has a weaker resume than Dubas, and there is no substantiating your claim that half the assistant GMs could do a better job. I wonder how much interference Shanahan had with regards to some of the bigger decisions like keeping the core 4, the contracts of Matthews and Marner, signing Tavares. Since Shanahan said it wasn’t about money, I have to believe Dubas wanted more power, which should make you question who made those previous bad decisions.

Well, we know based on this tweet there was 0 chance Nylander was going to be traded seeing as he's Shannys kids favourite player :sarcasm:

Why are people acting like he was a great GM? He was handed some young high end talent to build around and failed to do anything with it. Constantly sunk too much cap in his forward group and went cheap on defense and goaltending. Get a GM in there who has the balls to make some changes instead of running the same core back every yr with failed results.

Whats gets me is people saying hes the best GM they've had in the last 30 or 40 years.....

Fletcher (first term) and Quinn were better.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I'm not even a Dubas supporter (indifferent on him) but there are two sides to every story. Just because Shanahan said how it played out doesn't necessarily mean that's exactly how it went down.

There is a lot more to this than he's saying because naturally he wants to look like the good guy and save face.

Shanahan is an even bigger fraud than Dubas is and yet he's still working for the Leafs.
Shanahan is a classic politician. He lies, he misleads, he manipulates. This is all he ever does. Dubas discussing his future with his family has nothing to do with his firing. And obviously money has nothing to do with his firing.

Dubas and Shanahan have been at odds for a long time now. It's about power and control. We don't know all the details, but Shanahan has always seemed to have more control over hockey decisions than your typical President. He has said multiple times in the past that the core group of players won't be traded, as if that's his decision. Was Dubas completely prevented from making a big trade?

Dubas' news conference made it clear the huge rift between him and Shanahan. When Dubas said that he was unsure about his future, and the stress this season was causing his family, he was almost certainly talking about his lack of power in the front office, Shanahan's over-involvement, and Dubas' lack of a contact extension.

Shanahan's full of it, as he has always been.

Is Dubas a good GM? I'd say we don't know enough to answer that. He seems quite good, but how much have his hands been tied?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Shanahan is a classic politician. He lies, he misleads, he manipulates. This is all he ever does. Dubas discussing his future with his family has nothing to do with his firing. And obviously money has nothing to do with his firing.

Dubas and Shanahan have been at odds for a long time now. It's about power and control. We don't know all the details, but Shanahan has always seemed to have more control over hockey decisions than your typical President. He has said multiple times in the past that the core group of players won't be traded, as if that's his decision. Was Dubas completely prevented from making a big trade?

Dubas' news conference made it clear the huge rift between him and Shanahan. When Dubas said that he was unsure about his future, and the stress this season was causing his family, he was almost certainly talking about his lack of power in the front office, Shanahan's over-involvement, and Dubas' lack of a contact extension.

Shanahan's full of it, as he has always been.

Is Dubas a good GM? I'd say we don't know enough to answer that. He seems quite good, but how much have his hands been tied?
Agreed... Until Dubas talks we won't know. But... The way in which Dubas aired their dirty laundry was unprofessional and immature. He could've just sent over the counter offer. What he said would've been just another giant distraction for the team next season had he returned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad