CO
NHL front offices trying to hire their next GM

7mrn8e.jpg

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
All teams have bad contracts.
Most people were looking at Tavares as the prize of the offseason because franchise centers rarely ever enter FA....cap room isn't an issue if they had better depth to make up for it its not like every other team is throwing all their money at their depth and winning because of it.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007

"What I believe happened behind the scenes is that Kyle Dubas made a push to get Brendan Shanahan out of hockey operations and decision making. He wanted complete and full autonomy and that this was a sort of power struggle that took place."

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

"What I believe happened behind the scenes is that Kyle Dubas made a push to get Brendan Shanahan out of hockey operations and decision making. He wanted complete and full autonomy and that this was a sort of power struggle that took place."

"what I believe"
vs
"what I know"
"what I've heard"

"What I believe" is pure speculation just like other terms like "people familiar with the matter"

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Is being the most sought-after and highly paid GM in the league a "stupid prize?" Because that's what Dubas will be as soon as he wants to.
Most teams would rather hire a qualified candidate who understands the sport instead of a guy who has proven to be grossly incompetent and doesn't value winning enough. He is going to be lucky to find work as a janitor.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes

Yes, this is essentially what happened.

We don't know all the details, but it was a power struggle, and it's been clear for a long time that Dubas and Shanahan have been seriously at odds. Dubas' press conference was just a last-ditch effort to acquire more say in decision-making.

Over the last several years, it has been Shanahan who has been the leading voice in stating that the Leafs' core players will not be traded. So, my sense is that Dubas was not permitted to move any of them to this point in time (although they might be forced to soon).

I think Shanahan has basically used Dubas as a yes-man (and to do all the hard work)... when Dubas wanted more, he was fired.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

This is a bit unfair, though. In a vacuum, the Tavares signing was fine. Marner gained tons of leverage (albeit in large part to giving Tavares 11m).

It's unfair to speculate about Matthews over 8 years when he was mad about Babcock (though in hindsight, maybe letting Babcock fly out to his home to smooth things over seems to be the wrong move).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Mulitple sources have now cited dubas wanted more power. You know what they say when multiple sources are cited. It's likely true.

By Dave FeschukSports Columnist
Sat., May 20, 2023timer5 min. read

So it wasn’t just about Dubas asking for more money. There’s every indication it was about autonomy, too — Dubas’s push for more power within the organization, which wasn’t met kindly by higher-ups.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'd bet it wasn't Shanahan that forced Dubas to take 2 years of former Soo Greyhound Matt Murray at 4.6M.

That has to be one of the dumbest trades I've ever seen.

He gambled on two goalies... one paid off, and he got a 3rd and a 7th to do so...

There is talk Murray will be LTIR'd by one of the insiders (forget who).

Not a terrible trade. 4.6 mill in LTIR for a 3rd and 7th now.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
What I said is accurate. You just cant read it clearly through your Leafs glasses
for sure man - the irony is unbelievable tbh. stay golden

Horrible news, I wanted him signing Mitch and Auston for 7 years at 15 mil per season. Wanted to see Tavares also extended 7 more years.
nah instead you get lou extending matt martin and leo komarov for 16 years each. enjoy

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I am not a Kyle Dubas fan by any stretch of the imagination, He tied his hands with The contracts to the Core 4 and has spent the last 4 years trying to plug holes in is roster, always seeming to have enough resources to buy 2 less plugs than he has holes. without moving one of the core 4, not sure anybody could have done much better than he did.

That said, the mess the Leaf's find themselves in, no GM Core 4 getting NMC/NTC on July 1 st. 2 of the 4 one year away from UFA on July 1st with no ability to negotiate an extension until July 1 when players have all the cards is all on Shanahan.

Shannahan is the guy who removed an experienced GM and gave the job of the teams most impt contract extensions to an inexperienced Dubas. Where would they be today if LOU was left in for a t least a year to negotiate those extensions?

Shannahan is the guy that went into this year with a lame duck GM on an expiring contract knowing full well the problem with the July 1 NMC's and the need to extend or trade these guys.

Shannahan is the guy who did not get an extension done with Dubas or have a plan B if he couldn't do one or chose not to bring Dubas back.

The mess the Leafs find themselves in is not on Dubas, its on Shannahan. Typically in Leaf land it seems the plan is to blame the guy who is gone. Its not Dubas fault he has no cap space, its Lou signing Marleau to a 3rd year when Dubas full well knew the Marleau contract was there when he spent all the money, just Like Shannahan knew of the July 1st NMC bomb when he was unprepared with a backup plan.

The much vaunted Shannaplan seems to be not much more than wing it and hope for the best.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Posts like this are hilarious. Besides Tavares who signed as a UFA, do you actually consider nylander marner Matthews contracts bad? Cause if so that’s all I need to know

I don't think Nylander's contract is bad, but Marner's is absolutely bad and for Matthews he either gets the money cause he gives up term, or he takes a haircut and gets walked to free agency. Dubas gave him both, so yeah, I think it's bad too.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
I don't think Nylander's contract is bad, but Marner's is absolutely bad and for Matthews he either gets the money cause he gives up term, or he takes a haircut and gets walked to free agency. Dubas gave him both, so yeah, I think it's bad too.
Nylanders current contract is an absolute steal lmao. How is Marner is bad contact for 97 points in 72 games last year and 99 in 80 this year? 8 points in 7 playoff games last year, 14 points in 11 playoff games this year. This site is f***in hilarious sometimes tbh, like actually insane. Wake up ppl and take off the leaf hater glasses. Matthews contract being bad is absolutely insane opinion but you do you.

the only "bad contract" at the moment is Tavares considering hes 11m and declining (although still around PPG). But again that was a FA signing so.

Matt Murray's deal is bad but we didnt sign that lol.

• Wow
Reactions: Golden_Jet

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
As a GM, I think he was a mixed bag, as most are. There are certainly worse options.

I liked a number of the moves he made. Bringing in Muzzin, Brodie, Giordano, Schenn, all guys who gave us some pretty good hockey while healthy. O'Reilly, Acciari, and to some extent McCabe, Lafferty, were all decent acquisitions that made sense. Samsonov was a good pickup.

There were some bad moves or moves which didn't work out (Ritchie, Murray, Foligno), but making a few bad trades around the edges isn't enough to sink to a guy. I did feel like he didn't do a great job on negotiations with his star players. There was also some bad luck here, if we're being fair, with covid and a relatively stagnant salary cap situation providing no relief to a club that committed big dollars to four or five guys.

But ultimately, his moves have all been around the fringes, trying to give this extravagant core the most cost-efficient pieces he could find to move them forward. Philosophically, that clearly hasn't worked out. Part of that is on the players and the coaching, but part of that is definitely on the general manager. Lots of responsibility to go around, with no clear fix.

Reactions: js2k6 and BlueOil

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not really, can have unlimited hockey ops , and can do 95% in signing bonuses for multiple players , no other team is doing that.

Must be why the Leafs have so much success because of that enormous advantage.

If that front-loading was a big advantage, shouldn't the Leafs have excellent value contracts and not the opposite?

Reactions: cptjeff and um

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Must be why the Leafs have so much success because of that enormous advantage.

If that front-loading was a big advantage, shouldn't the Leafs have excellent value contracts and not the opposite?
Overpay…structure them in the player’s favor…get boned on term

Kyle Dubas…triple threat guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad