Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Was I supposed to view them in the future? Dubas did nothing to improve the franchise. Leafs are looking at long term pain now, and many fans seem completely oblivious.
If people think we are facing “long term pain” now, what was the last 50 or so years?

Regardless of who becomes GM, this new generation of fans don’t know pain. The last 7 years has been pretty good as a leaf fan. At least we make the playoffs regularly, and this past post season we saw progress, regardless of the outcome in the second round.

Losing Dubas isn’t going to be some negative inflection point as some are making it out to be.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Why are people acting like he was a great GM? He was handed some young high end talent to build around and failed to do anything with it. Constantly sunk too much cap in his forward group and went cheap on defense and goaltending. Get a GM in there who has the balls to make some changes instead of running the same core back every yr with failed results.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
We all like to bag on the laffs but when the chips are down, 31 teams want him managing their cap
This is simply Toronto-based fantasy.

Kyle Dubas has done absolutely nothing to warrant this kind of hyping/praise.

Simply the way he has handled Leafs goaltending cap-wise is beyond horrible.

I just dont get this "cap wizard" stuff that gets thrown around when talking about Dubas.

Drafting - above average maybe, couple of good picks but nothing to sing songs about.
Trading - not horrible but it's not like he has fleeced anyone.
Cap management - Half of the cap tied on 4 players, millons of dead cap space wasted on goalies. I just don't get it.

Kyle Dubas is an average GM, nothing more, nothing less.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He has been a great gm but his best days are still ahead. This years trade deadline is more indicative of what you’re getting than what he did as a rookie gm. I envy whatever team signs him. Shanahan will look like a fool very soon.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If people think we are facing “long term pain” now, what was the last 50 or so years?

Regardless of who becomes GM, this new generation of fans don’t know pain. The last 7 years has been pretty good as a leaf fan. At least we make the playoffs regularly, and this past post season we saw progress, regardless of the outcome in the second round.

Losing Dubas isn’t going to be some negative inflection point as some are making it out to be.
You guys are missing the obvious.... How did the team look when Dubas took over and how does it look now?

Has ever been a rookie GM which stepped in into a better possition?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Why are people acting like he was a great GM? He was handed some young high end talent to build around and failed to do anything with it. Constantly sunk too much cap in his forward group and went cheap on defense and goaltending. Get a GM in there who has the balls to make some changes instead of running the same core back every yr with failed results.
Pretty much this.

He was a decent gm, some could even argue above average/top tier but elite he was not. He did well in getting complimentary pieces but failed to identify what is rotten and make that big move to shake up the organisation when it was needed. Also, he held on much too long to Sheldon Keefe when it was clear for a while now that he would not be the one to take this team to the promise land.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that Dubas was basically fired because he was terrible at negociating his contract? After he was terrible at negociating his teams contracts with no repercursion.

There is one thing I do not understand though: why did he need an agent? I can understand why players need agents, but it is an important part of Dubas' job to negociate contracts, by hiring an agent is he admiting that he can't do this? Maybe if his agent negociated the JT,WN,MM and AM contracts the Leafs would had been in a better situation.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
You guys are missing the obvious.... How did the team look when Dubas took over and how does it look now?

Has ever been a rookie GM which stepped in into a better possition?
Ok, and?

We haven’t lost any of those players, we will still make the playoffs this upcoming season (in all likelihood), where is the fire?

I never cared for Dubas, and wish things had gone different. What’s the point of looking in the rear view?

All your post states is “he had an opportunity and squandered it”. We all know this, so what is your point?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Ok, and?

We haven’t lost any of those players, we will still make the playoffs this upcoming season (in all likelihood), where is the fire?

I never cared for Dubas, and wish things had gone different. What’s the point of looking in the rear view?

All your post states is “he had an opportunity and squandered it”. We all know this, so what is your point?
My post was actually supposed to say that he had a great opportunity and squandered it. That's not describing a "great" GM, not even a good one.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
My post was actually supposed to say that he had a great opportunity and squandered it. That's not describing a "great" GM, not even a good one.
I still don’t see your point. Who stated he was great? Who here has denied he had an opportunity to excel and failed?

You’re basically just captain obvious with these posts, not providing some great insight.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I still don’t see your point. Who stated he was great? Who here has denied he had an opportunity to excel and failed?

You’re basically just captain obvious with these posts, not providing some great insight.
There are many posts in this thread saying that he was great, some even use the word elite ;)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that Dubas was basically fired because he was terrible at negociating his contract? After he was terrible at negociating his teams contracts with no repercursion.

There is one thing I do not understand though: why did he need an agent? I can understand why players need agents, but it is an important part of Dubas' job to negociate contracts, by hiring an agent is he admiting that he can't do this? Maybe if his agent negociated the JT,WN,MM and AM contracts the Leafs would had been in a better situation.
I imagine you'd want someone who isn't emotionally involved in the negotiating process.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Waiting until the very last minute to realize that your unsigned GM that you left hanging last off season might actually leave? Having literally no back up options? Doing nothing with about a month left from what could be a franchise altering offseason...did he simply think the Leafs would go on a long run, or that everything would work out hunky dory if they crapped the bed again?

So not only did Shanny fire Dubas over a communication breakdown, aired all the dirty laundry to the public, look petty as hell by basically admitting that this was an emotional decision, but he also sat on his hands and did absolutely nothing over the last year in anticipation of this exact scenario. A risk with a high probability of happening if the team didn't perform or the GM not wanting to stay...a risk that should've been identified over a year ago and mitigated.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Leafs fail at management 101, but this is all on Shanahan because he's the one accountable.

Dubas flip flopped. Shanny was clear that Dubas’ intentions were 100% known and they had a deal ready. He goes and talks to other candidates when he doesn’t need to and Dubas’ camp hears, he will lose his guy. He wants Dubas. Dubas wants back. It’s great.

Then the leafs choke (I guess shanny should have known they would exit fast) and Dubas becomes Judas. He disregards Shanny’s advice and holds media availability unnecessarily then applies all the master negotiating tactics he deployed over the years and talks himself out of a contract. It’s the Dubas version of brandishing a gun on instagram. “I actually don’t know if I want to be the gm”. Shanny’s jaw drops, his guy is shook emotionally and he can’t trust him with the team. And here we are today.

That’s all Dubas being weak mentally and a crap negotiator. Shanny was a lot more polite than he needed to be in his presser. He could have just said Dubas betrayed us and can’t be trusted. He took the high road.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

It’s actually pretty fitting. He’d be a pretty good GM if he had someone else to negotiate contracts for him

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
I keep hearing this now and it's absolutely false.

On paper, Dubas' teams *always* looked soft and underwhelming in net.

Then in the playoffs each spring, they got pushed around, were not nearly physical enough, and were underwhelming in net.

Pretending he assembled teams that people expected to challenge for the Cup, but his "players let him down" and the team underperformed is totally and completely false.

I think fans outside of Toronto, that weren't blinded by fandom and hope knew these teams weren't built for the playoffs and that is 100 percent Dubas' fault because year after year he stubbornly refused to acknowledge that toughness was a big a piece of the puzzle. He clearly felt he could win with just high end offensive talent and that clearly - and repeatedly - didn't work.

Pretending he did a great job but the players let him down is total nonsense.

The Maple Leafs are a better team today because he left.
Is it though?

Is it really Dubas' fault that Matthews, Marner, Tavares have no problem showing up in the season but come playoff time they're playing Casper and Friends?

Dubas will be gone, but the Leafs will still be ghosts come playoff time.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

It is common to use an agent so they act as a middle man and there are no hard feelings on either side about tough talk and dollars etc.

Basically the agent is just an intermediary to smooth out table talk and negotiations between the two sides to keep things amicable after the deal.

You ever see what happens when baseball players go to arbitration or anything lol?

j c petit

Locked-out
Mar 6, 2007
In the blue paint
Hopefully the Leafs sign Bergevin as their new GM. Therrien could be their new coach too.
Da Pants.png

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and binop7

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

eh, I can still see the advantages of having an agent negotiate your contract, though I don't know how often it's done with GM's.

It keeps what can be tough negotiations one level removed from the relationship. Let your agent be the bad cop.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
eh, I can still see the advantages of having an agent negotiate your contract, though I don't know how often it's done with GM's.

It keeps what can be tough negotiations one level removed from the relationship. Let your agent be the bad cop.
While this is true, isn't one of the reasons why he is a GM and his agent just an agent the fact that he is supposed to be better at negociations?

It is common to use an agent so they act as a middle man and there are no hard feelings on either side about tough talk and dollars etc.

Basically the agent is just an intermediary to smooth out table talk and negotiations between the two sides to keep things amicable after the deal.

You ever see what happens when baseball players go to arbitration or anything lol?
I think it is common for the players, but this is the first time I hear about this for GM's...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
This is simply Toronto-based fantasy.

Kyle Dubas has done absolutely nothing to warrant this kind of hyping/praise.

Simply the way he has handled Leafs goaltending cap-wise is beyond horrible.

I just dont get this "cap wizard" stuff that gets thrown around when talking about Dubas.

Drafting - above average maybe, couple of good picks but nothing to sing songs about.
Trading - not horrible but it's not like he has fleeced anyone.
Cap management - Half of the cap tied on 4 players, millons of dead cap space wasted on goalies. I just don't get it.

Kyle Dubas is an average GM, nothing more, nothing less.
Average is very complimentary when you look at his transaction record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad