Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Exactly. This is not on Dubas. This is on the core. The team is more than good enough to at least make a deep run.

Makes no sense to me. Dubas' job is to judge the value of the core. If it is on the core then it is also on Dubas.

He had ample opportunity to see what they were made of mentally and make a trade while their value was high.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
From what was said I understand why Shanny didn't want Dubas back BUT he was spilling all the tea at his press conference. Felt a little petty IMO.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It's easy to boil his tenure down to an individual statement.

Imagine firing the GM who put together the roster that got your team to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in 20 years less than a month after doing so.

A roster where he inherited the best players and then blowing numerous first round picks, wasting years of those key player's primes and cost controlled years.

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
After being GM for 7 years the stress was too much? Ha , we'll see where the cards fall

A roster where he already inherited the best players and then blowing numerous first round picks, wasting years of those key player's primes and cost controlled years.
I think those core players blew years of there prime with there performances when it mattered personally.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
After being GM for 7 years the stress was too much? Ha , we'll see where the cards fall

I think those core players blew years of there prime with there performances when it mattered personally.

The core.players are also to blame but Dubas also coddled them as if they're destined to win when they haven't done anything.

Reactions: Jmo89

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Makes no sense to me. Dubas' job is to judge the value of the core. If it is on the core then it is also on Dubas.

He had ample opportunity to see what they were made of mentally and make a trade while their value was high.

A roster where he inherited the best players and then blowing numerous first round picks, wasting years of those key player's primes and cost controlled years.

The core.players are also to blame but Dubas also coddled them as if they're destined to win when they haven't done anything.

It's downright bizarre. I'm far from the biggest Dubas hater. I was even softening my stance on him this season mainly because I think he is learning and it seems a bit wasteful after enduring his so called "growing pains."

Yes, the core is responsible for their poor play come playoffs, but who was the guy who smugly told the media "we can and we will" sign all of 4 of them for half the cap? Who is the guy who repeatedly said at the end of every season he believes in the group? Who is the guy who refused to trade, or even threaten to trade any of them?

Who is the guy who hired a rookie coach who is so scared of Mitch Marner that he actually walked back criticism in the media? The same coach who makes brain dead statements about respect in a handshake line, or refusing to split of Matthews and Marner because the data suggests they work well together, and has gotten out coached every single round.

Who is the guy who refused to address toughness for his entire tenure, and then the very first season he does (at the TDL) they at least win a measly round.

He's the same guy who quoted Lou Lam about having patience and "using all the time you have" only to overpay every single one of his RFAs and not signing a single one early in his first couple years. The same guy who traded a 1st round pick to unload Marleau because he wanted to keep Kapanen and Johnson and then practically gave them away the very next year. The same guy who walked into this season - the last year of his contract - with his number 1 goalie being Matt Murray.

He showed loyalty to a flawed core. He showed loyalty to a horrible coach. He refused to change the mix of the team. He's refused to properly address goaltending.

Two things can be true at once. The players haven't been good enough but Dubas is also at fault for being so stubborn and refusing to change things up.

Frankly Dubas has operated the same way that his core has. They all think they're untouchable. They have zero worry they'll be held accountable for their poor results.

I don't think Dubas is a horrible GM, but he's a very very average one.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008

Lou pulls Dubas in and is like "Kyle, you muh boy... I am in need of a succeeder. And you know... Those Leafs, The organization... The Board of Directors... Brandon. They don't respect you. They did you dirty. But Islanders muh boy... This... This is the future." This is where you get respect. Bam, Islanders have Dubas as a new GM.

Then Leaf fans write letters and make a video titled:

"Dear Kyle...."

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
I've just seen Spezza resigned before the press conference. Something smells funny to me. I have no particular love for Dubas but this sounds like Shanahan may well have buried Dubas to protect himself, which has pissed off others. If that is the case, they don't have to worry about the core leaving, there will be plenty of unhappy players and staff who want out.

A shake up is needed, but if this is a toxic environment as a result, good luck.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Lmfao oh ya I'm sure that "working with Hughes" in Montreal is at the top of his list for choice jobs right now :laugh:.

We're rebuilding, it's a fun time to be a GM; you can put your print on the team.
We are still in the "sucking" part but we have young and good pieces to build around.
In two years the Habs will be good to compete

Plus, what better team to go to if you want to get revenge on the Leafs?

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Dubas tried to bluff his way into a big payout and got called on it by a seasoned slow player.
Did he though? What we have heard is Shanahan said he put a "framework" together and the agent came back with a counter. The numbers leaked since are just that, leaks. If Shanahan wanted to oust Dubas for his own sake, this is what you'd do. Get out in the public first, make the guy look like a mercenary and unfit for the job and then leak extravagant numbers to the press after saying you put a deal on the table. It turns the fans against Dubas rather than him and saves his job for a little while longer.

And it has worked.

If that's actually what has happened, the GM role under Shanahan will be unattractive for plenty.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It's easy to boil his tenure down to an individual statement.

Imagine firing the GM who put together the roster that got your team to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in 20 years less than a month after doing so.
Imagine the bar being that low

He's better than whoever they end up replacing him with, that's more relevant moving forward than the failings of his star players. Which available candidate do you think can do a better job?
His players that he should've moved on from.

Lombardi, Sean Burke, half of the assistant GMs in the league could do a better job. Dubas didn't even have a real hockey resume

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
He hired a rookie coach
I think if they had a coach like Laviolette things would have been different

They definitely should get an experienced head coach. Maybe with Stanley Cup winning experience? Someone who will expect more from the players and holds them accountable?

What about Mike Babcock?

Reactions: uncleben

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
The Leaf-o-sphere is an emotional place, and not just for fans. Make no mistake, this wasn't a decision based on Kyle Dubas's ability to assemble a competitive team. We all like to bag on the laffs but when the chips are down, 31 teams want him managing their cap

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They definitely should get an experienced head coach. Maybe with Stanley Cup winning experience? Someone who will expect more from the players and holds them accountable?

What about Mike Babcock?
Babcock has interviewed with Columbus and NYR, so maybe, but he didn't do anything before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad