Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
It's a weird one, on one hand he really overpaid some of the players.

But on the other hand, he iced a competitive roster that underperformed in the playoffs. On paper, the team has been good enough to go on a run. The players let him down.

I don't know, I'm not sure Treliving would be a significant improvement. Especially considering how he lost Gaudreau and Tkachuk in one off season, which destroyed the franchise.

horner

May 22, 2007
They definitely should get an experienced head coach. Maybe with Stanley Cup winning experience? Someone who will expect more from the players and holds them accountable?

What about Mike Babcock?
Babcock's time had ran out

horner

May 22, 2007
His philosophy was never going to work
Shannon believed in it so he is also the problem
Most people in the hockey world believed that you cant have half of your cap tied up in 4 players. All of these players with the same makeup skilled and soft.
The down fault of the Leafs was adding JT at that time we still didn't have a defense built.
Shanahan should be gone as well he ok'd everything.

Regular season no problem
Playoffs no

To me MLSE should hire someone to oversee the organization

With Dubas gone some of our top players may want to leave. Iam fine with that.

This purge should have happened last yr or the yr before but like the Leafs we wait to long.

Dubas wouldn't even fire his buddy Keefe.

The new GM has to have a conversation with JT.
Dubas gave all of these players no movement clauses at the same time. He gave them the money and control how dumb.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
After the dust has settled, I think Dubas got himself "fired" on purpose. The team offered him a contract extension, and he replied with an unreasonable offer. Shanny said no, time to move on. This way, if it blows up in the next few years, say Dubas has success elsewhere, and the Leafs decline, Shanahan looks like the bad guy, rather than Dubas.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Leaf-o-sphere is an emotional place, and not just for fans. Make no mistake, this wasn't a decision based on Kyle Dubas's ability to assemble a competitive team. We all like to bag on the laffs but when the chips are down, 31 teams want him managing their cap
Managing their cap?
I think Dubas has some terrific attributes, as a GM..............managing the cap was not one of them.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The Leaf-o-sphere is an emotional place, and not just for fans. Make no mistake, this wasn't a decision based on Kyle Dubas's ability to assemble a competitive team. We all like to bag on the laffs but when the chips are down, 31 teams want him managing their cap

Are you out of your mind?

His incompetence with managing the salary cap is a major issue. I would be infuriated if a team I rooted for hired this idiot to "manage their cap."

That's like hiring Stan Bowman to "manage your HR department."

Is David Poile actually retiring or was that just the polite way for him to give up the reigns in Nashville?

He's my target if I'm Shanahan.

He's retired.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's a weird one, on one hand he really overpaid some of the players.

But on the other hand, he iced a competitive roster that underperformed in the playoffs. On paper, the team has been good enough to go on a run. The players let him down.

I keep hearing this now and it's absolutely false.

On paper, Dubas' teams *always* looked soft and underwhelming in net.

Then in the playoffs each spring, they got pushed around, were not nearly physical enough, and were underwhelming in net.

Pretending he assembled teams that people expected to challenge for the Cup, but his "players let him down" and the team underperformed is totally and completely false.

I think fans outside of Toronto, that weren't blinded by fandom and hope knew these teams weren't built for the playoffs and that is 100 percent Dubas' fault because year after year he stubbornly refused to acknowledge that toughness was a big a piece of the puzzle. He clearly felt he could win with just high end offensive talent and that clearly - and repeatedly - didn't work.

Pretending he did a great job but the players let him down is total nonsense.

The Maple Leafs are a better team today because he left.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I keep hearing this now and it's absolutely false.

On paper, Dubas' teams *always* looked soft and underwhelming in net.

Then in the playoffs each spring, they got pushed around, were not nearly physical enough, and were underwhelming in net.

Pretending he assembled teams that people expected to challenge for the Cup, but his "players let him down" and the team underperformed is totally and completely false.

I think fans outside of Toronto, that weren't blinded by fandom and hope knew these teams weren't built for the playoffs and that is 100 percent Dubas' fault because year after year he stubbornly refused to acknowledge that toughness was a big a piece of the puzzle. He clearly felt he could win with just high end offensive talent and that clearly - and repeatedly - didn't work.

Pretending he did a great job but the players let him down is total nonsense.

The Maple Leafs are a better team today because he left.
So they are better with Treliving, who signed Neal, Brouwer, Smith to big contracts? And who recently signed the worst contract in the league Huberdeau. And who lost two top 5 elite wingers in the league for scraps?

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
these are the posts I come here for.

31 teams want DUBAS (yes, Dubas) Managing their CAP!

absolutely amazing!!!

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Imagine the bar being that low

His players that he should've moved on from.

Lombardi, Sean Burke, half of the assistant GMs in the league could do a better job. Dubas didn't even have a real hockey resume

Lombardi wasn’t even good enough to replace Chuck Fletcher in Philly. Sean Burke currently has a weaker resume than Dubas, and there is no substantiating your claim that half the assistant GMs could do a better job. I wonder how much interference Shanahan had with regards to some of the bigger decisions like keeping the core 4, the contracts of Matthews and Marner, signing Tavares. Since Shanahan said it wasn’t about money, I have to believe Dubas wanted more power, which should make you question who made those previous bad decisions.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
You know they haven't hired Trevling, right?

So they are better with Jeffrey Dahmer, who ate people?
I am hearing it is all but a formality. Calgary gave Toronto permission to interview Treliving, and Treliving has been after the Leafs GM job for a while.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I am hearing it is all but a formality. Calgary gave Toronto permission to interview Treliving, and Treliving has been after the Leafs GM job for a while.
Shanahan did say in his presser that he had already started the process of hiring the new GM. He can’t take too long to get the new guy in place. Lots to get done. Big contract decisions. Trades. Draft. Roster buildout. Big job for the new person.

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
Dubas told the world he basically wasn’t sure his heart was in it. This one is on him. Shanny did the right thing

Waiting until the very last minute to realize that your unsigned GM that you left hanging last off season might actually leave? Having literally no back up options? Doing nothing with about a month left from what could be a franchise altering offseason...did he simply think the Leafs would go on a long run, or that everything would work out hunky dory if they crapped the bed again?

So not only did Shanny fire Dubas over a communication breakdown, aired all the dirty laundry to the public, look petty as hell by basically admitting that this was an emotional decision, but he also sat on his hands and did absolutely nothing over the last year in anticipation of this exact scenario. A risk with a high probability of happening if the team didn't perform or the GM not wanting to stay...a risk that should've been identified over a year ago and mitigated.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the Leafs fail at management 101, but this is all on Shanahan because he's the one accountable.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Shanahan did say in his presser that he had already started the process of hiring the new GM. He can’t take too long to get the new guy in place. Lots to get done. Big contract decisions. Trades. Draft. Roster buildout. Big job for the new person.
I mean Toronto's number 1 guy is Treliving and Treliving has wanted the Leafs GM job badly for a year.

It doesn't take rocket science to know who they are hiring, regardless of if they interview many candidates

I don't really buy Shanahan's story either. It is a good excuse to get rid of him I guess, but it was always going to be Treliving.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

As reported previously in the aftermath of the Leafs elimination, Shanahan and Dubas had been at odds for a while. On Friday, more details emerged on that front. Multiple sources close to the team said that Shanahan had blocked transactions that Dubas wanted to make at key points in the past several seasons, creating frustration in parts of the management group. Shanahan had also at times dictated certain moves he wanted made that Dubas didn’t agree with.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Dubas is an amateur. It's only amazing he lasted this long. He got out before people realized that he completely dismantled the franchise. Smart

1-Not getting UFA years from Matthews and Marner

2- Marchment for Malgin trade

3-Kadri for Kerfoot

4- Kapenen for nothing

5- Matt Martin for nothing

6- 1st for Foligno

7-Sandin trade

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
What an absolutely clown move. This is also a potential issue with having former players like Shanahan in administrative roles. He heard a press conference and formed a vendetta. Guy mortgages the future of a multibillion dollar franchise on a rash decision because he felt spurned. Incredibly poor business acumen.

Dubas is an amateur. It's only amazing he lasted this long. He got out before people realized that he completely dismantled the franchise. Smart

1-Not getting UFA years from Matthews and Marner

2- Marchment for Malgin trade

3-Kadri for Kerfoot

4- Kapenen for nothing

5- Matt Martin for nothing

6- 1st for Foligno

7-Sandin trade
Almost all of these points are viewed in hindsight. At the time they were mostly reasonable moves given the context of team’s structure at each point.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What an absolutely clown move. This is also a potential issue with having former players like Shanahan in administrative roles. He heard a press conference and formed a vendetta. Guy mortgages the future of a multibillion dollar franchise on a rash decision because he felt spurned. Incredibly poor business acumen.

Almost all of these points are viewed in hindsight. At the time they were mostly reasonable moves given the context of team’s structure at each point.
Was I supposed to view them in the future? Dubas did nothing to improve the franchise. Leafs are looking at long term pain now, and many fans seem completely oblivious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad