Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If there's any truth to this, he deserved the axe.
I can’t remember where I saw it but I think it was a 50% raise from his current 2.5. So around 4 mil per. Still a lot but not 8.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I can’t remember where I saw it but I think it was a 50% raise from his current 2.5. So around 4 mil per. Still a lot but not 8.

Still significant, especially given the (lack of) results.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Tavares was good for toronto until only recently, people seem to forget that
But it was always a bad fit. Always.

It's like the Sharks acquiring Karlsson when they already had Burns. GMs get overly excited (or pressured by ownership and fans) to bring in a huge name talent where it almost feels like winning a mini Stanley Cup.

Kane to NYR felt similar.

The Leafs could have had Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Kadri (with a lot of depth) and let them claim the team as their own and probably gotten each of them for cheaper.

Bringing in an 11 million dollar mercenary gave them less space to fill the rest of their roster, led them to bleed depth every off season, and caused all of the young core to want money commensurate with Tavares because Matthews and Marner were already better than him.

I like Dubas a lot and I think losing him hurts the Leafs, but he had to learn from a few pretty big f***-ups he made on the job. Tavares was one of them.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think the doom and gloom around the Spezza resignation is kind of funny.

Dude's job for a year was probably to grab Kyle a coffee or hot dog and maybe dick around with the Leafs roster with Armchair GM on Capfriendly.com.

That's like 7 rungs down the ladder of importance from David Ayers, but some fans are acting like it's signifying the return of JFJ and Aki Berg.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Dude's job for a year was probably to grab Kyle a coffee or hot dog and maybe dick around with the Leafs roster with Armchair GM on Capfriendly.com.

That's like 7 rungs down the ladder of importance from David Ayers, but some fans are acting like it's signifying the return of JFJ and Aki Berg.

What was his official role? l never understood why they kept Spezza around.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I mean you can easily argue he was an up and coming NHL executive that had a significant future in the Leafs. Spezza made a big deal in coming back to Toronto to play at home and seemingly loved being in the organization, I don't see how him saying "screw this, I'm out" isn't a thing of note.

This season, Spezza has spent every day absorbing many different roles. Known by his peers as a hockey nerd, he's aware of just about every player of the game at every level. When he wasn't at the World Juniors evaluating talent, he was in the trenches with Dubas and the rest of the management team, attending games both home and road and providing valuable insight. Not just from someone who 'played the game' but someone who knows the group.

What was his official role? l never understood why they kept Spezza around.

Seems like it was basically a scout who worked directly with Dubas on the roster construction.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON

I mean you can easily argue he was an up and coming NHL executive that had a significant future in the Leafs. Spezza made a big deal in coming back to Toronto to play at home and seemingly loved being in the organization, I don't see how him saying "screw this, I'm out" isn't a thing of note.

Seems like it was basically a scout who worked directly with Dubas on the roster construction.

Yep.

It must have been an utter shitshow for Spezza to quit.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
He may not be, but it's the timeline. There's about a month to make these decisions, before the NMCs kick in.
But players for a week or 2 aren't going to be wanting to think about hockey, there season just ended, you aren't seeing big contracts being signed now from teams who have just been eliminated form the playoffs.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
But players for a week or 2 aren't going to be wanting to think about hockey, there season just ended, you aren't seeing big contracts being signed now from teams who have just been eliminated form the playoffs.
Sure contracts aren't being signed but the Leafs have to make a call on how those contract negotiations are going to play out before the NMCs kick in or they risk losing the players for nothing in free agency. Seems like a bad time to have front office turmoil to me.

Reactions: Scouter

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Of course he does, and if Shanny went to MLSE and said either give me a raise or I'm gone they should can him as well. You can't make those kind of demands when your team fails every year. Dubas saying what he said in public was just dumb.
He said he can do both jobs and there wasn't a need for Shanny which is true

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Darn I was hoping that the first round win was enough for the Leafs to extend him... Dubas probably shot himself in the foot during the press conference.

Hoping that the next guy in Toronto is "as good" as Dubas.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Big trades also most of the time don't happen now, unless you are Jim Benning.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Chris Johnson is saying here that Dubas getting fired was more about the Dubas press conference than anything else. Shanahan tendered him a contract offer on Sunday and Dubas countered on Thursday, so I don't think the money was the thing here. It was Shanahan didn't want to extend him after his press conference expressing doubt on his future:

Ultimately, he got done in by the decision to speak publicly during the team’s end-of-season availability on Monday – “I had expressed to him that it was not my intention to talk to the media until I had something settled with him,” said Shanahan. “I expressed that I thought it was a good idea that maybe he didn’t either” – because it was there where Dubas first said he wasn’t sure about returning after learning how taxing things had been on his family.

That set off alarm bells for Shanahan.

“There was a shift in my thinking at that moment,” said Shanahan. “A dramatic shift in my thinking.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad