Kyle Dubas will not be back as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I mean if you are going to extend all this blame on Dubas for what he was given and what he has to show for it (which is fair), surely that extends to Shanahan as well no?

Like I said, I personally don't really have a stake in this, since I'm not a Toronto fan, other than I like chaos.

Let me paint an analogy for you. Dubas is holding Leafs as hostage, with a live grenade on his hand. Shanahan is the cop, didn't give in to his demands, and shot him. Congratulations. Now the grenade drops, and Shanahan has a fairly short timeframe to act. Hire a GM, and make major roster decisions. Less than one month.

Was this a smart decision from Shanny? Doesn't look great right now.
I think how this turns out for Shanahan is completely dependent on what he does next. He doesn’t look bad for it right now because it sounds like Dubas was trying to play games and he wasn’t having it. Maybe not a smart decision (we’ll see) , but I wouldn’t call it dumb to this point and it might very well have been a necessary decision.

I think Dubas looks dumb because he tried to use some dumb negotiation tactics and it ended up backfiring. Shanahan saw this and made the decision to let Dubas go fully aware of what that would mean he’d have to do. Now he’s gonna be judged on how he replaces Dubas and handles things from here on out.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Guaranteed it wasn't about the money. It's about a longer term. That's what Dubas meant when he said his family was having a rough time this year. They wanted security and Dubas expressed he wants to stay in Toronto.

I don't even think it was Shanahan's decision. It was the board that doesn't want to give more power to Dubas and Shanahan was simply saving his own ass.
Shannhan told him he was getting a contract after the deadline. Did Dubas forgot to talk to his family since then?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Getting a core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly and Andersen and all the cap you need. Only a Lilijgren to show for the drafts between 2017 to 2022. One round win, and one missed playoffs due to play-in loss.

Reactions: RogerRoger

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If Shanahan deserves any blame, it's for not for firing Dubas after that goalie disaster last season.

Dubas signing Mrazek and for 3 years was practically in Milbury territory and then he cried foul when Harri Sateri got claimed on waivers. Then he doubles down by trading for Murray.....

Dude's just John Chayka in an actual Hockey market... or at least was...

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
I don't know the real reason why Shanny fired Dubas but I think that Shanny has been put on notice by the the CEO. it is win the Cup, time for patience and excuses is over. He has been told that if he cannot deliver than he will be gone. The problem with the Leafs is they play to the puck and not through the puck, it is a soft physical style of play, this is the system that Keef has installed and it isn't working and Keef is Dubas guy and Dubas won't fire him, so Shanny is saving his ass by firing Dubas, the new GM will fire Keef and what is interesting is Quenneville has asked for a meeting with bettman which will take place at the end of the season. Could the plan be to have JQ behind the Leafs bench next season. We shall find that out soon after the season is over. Shanny most likely already has a GM in mind.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'd wait if I was him. Who wants that job the team is too old and ownership says no to changes to the core. If the rumor is true I hold out for the Sens sale and hope the Sens underperform and Pierre is fired by new ownership and go there. Young team on the upswing, all their assets and a good prospect pool
Also Sens were KD team growing up. I think it getting to late for Ottawa to change, and the new group will wait a year, unless it goes south early.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
So Shanny says he offered a deal to Dubas, Dubas hesitated then said yes a week later, at which point Shanny says they've decided to go a different direction. Do I have this correct?
Shanny told him he was re-sign a bit after the deadline. Dubas told him to discuss with his agents. Shanny offer a contract. Dubas does his Monday presser. His agent counter offer for more money. Then Kyle email Shanny that he accepts. Shanny turns him down.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
BS he wanted a year off. That was him trying to play a stupid negotiation game. Hence why he then emailed Shanahan when he did it bite. No chance in hell this is a result he wanted. Was GM of one of the biggest organizations and best teams in the league. Had been working at it for 5 years and still had a chance to do something big with them.

No kidding there were people on the board that were unhappy with Dubas spending money on things like Babs.
Shanny probably felt like a fool after defending Dubas and convincing the board to keep him Dubas tried to make Shanny return to the boards with demands

Ooops.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
What does Shanahan even do? How much pull does he have over decision making there? Why can't he be GM?

What all top level management does.. nothing. They just crack the whip on the people below them to make sure they are getting done what they are supposed to.

Shanahan doesn't want to be the GM with "hands-on" because then it is his ass on the line. He went incognito the last while for a reason: so that he wouldn't be in people's mind for the blame.

I guarantee if the Leafs have made the final 4 he would have been everywhere.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Getting a core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly and Andersen and all the cap you need. Only a Lilijgren to show for the drafts between 2017 to 2022. One round win, and one missed playoffs due to play-in loss.
I bet Tavares signing wasn't just a decision by Dubas. But if it was, then that's the defining moment. That signing is so hampering.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I mean if you are going to extend all this blame on Dubas for what he was given and what he has to show for it (which is fair), surely that extends to Shanahan as well no?

Like I said, I personally don't really have a stake in this, since I'm not a Toronto fan, other than I like chaos.

Let me paint an analogy for you. Dubas is holding Leafs as hostage, with a live grenade on his hand. Shanahan is the cop, didn't give in to his demands, and shot him. Congratulations. Now the grenade drops, and Shanahan has a fairly short timeframe to act. Hire a GM, and make major roster decisions. Less than one month.

Was this a smart decision from Shanny? Doesn't look great right now.

The only thing is Dubas thinks he is holding a live grenade but he's really holding a banana. He's not that important or irreplaceable.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
My guess is a he asked for something that starts with $8.

They just keep saying on TSN radio that is so much higher than the top dogs.

That’s kind of the way he did contracts with his core players.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Substantially higher than $5 million for what? One second round win in 7 years?

Dude really drinks his own koolaid about being "unlucky"
Being a GM in Toronto would be an expensive job. High cost of living, you have to deal with a ton of hate and threats from fans etc. shit you would need hazard pay lol

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
quote-the-thorns-which-i-have-reap-d-are-of-the-tree-i-planted-they-have-torn-me-and-i-bleed-l...jpg

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
My guess is a he asked for something that starts with $8.

They just keep saying on TSN radio that is so much higher than the top dogs.

That’s kind of the way he did contracts with his core players.
I don't blame Dubas for asking for the moon. It makes total sense if you look at all the other GMs out there that are available. They all suck. It makes even more sense to ask for the moon if you also just want to take a year off and you know that there are going to be offers from other teams if/when you want to go back to work.

I have a friend who did the same thing when his work contract was up. He asked for what he thought was an unresonable raise because he was iffy about continuing to work for that company...and they accepted his unresonable raise ask.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The only thing is Dubas thinks he is holding a live grenade but he's really holding a banana. He's not that important or irreplaceable.
He may not be, but it's the timeline. There's about a month to make these decisions, before the NMCs kick in.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think the Tavares contract really handcuffed him when it came to cap space and roster upgrades on D.

Not that bad of a GM though, his teams let him down in terrible situations in the playoffs.

Reactions: uncleben
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad