Value of: Kubalik

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Sens need to make space for Pinto and Kubalik, in my personal opinion, is the obvious choice to move.

What would teams offer up? He has a very good one timer and is good at getting open, but doesn't do a ton beyond that. He does put in a solid effort.

Sens would be looking ideally for a forward making less than $1.5m (at the absolute most) or, failing that, a prospect or pick

Obviously his value will be deflated but I think he's a guy teams would be interested in and pay modest value for

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
knowing the sens predicament probably nothing valuable. not sure they'll consider him a cap dump but it's possible.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Kubalik is a player you want around imo. But yes, he's probably the only one tradable with value (that sens wants or can trade).

Problem is that most teams with cap space already has wingers in abundance. Maybe Preds?

Reactions: Malaka

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He has a lot more value at TDL, but obviously thats pointless for Ottawas requirements.

Looking at team that could afford him now, and have a reason for him (Good middle 6 winger on expiring contract)? Likely only Carolina, Seattle and Buffalo has any interest. Even then largely only Buffalo as it would put the other two so far against the cap to be unwieldy.

It would be hard to trade with Buffalo as they may be Ottawas competition for a playoff spot this year.

My guess is a 3rd rounder or so, or a minor prospect at best.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Kubalik for a 3rd would be ideal for Ottawa. He's worth a 2nd in the summer or at the deadline IMO but they will have to give someone a deal in their situation. Moving his $2.5M allows them to give $2.2M of that to Pinto and still have a 13th forward or 7th defenceman once Norris is ready (soon?)

If Norris isn't ready soon, put him on LTIR and give Kubalik Top 6 and PP opportunities to pump his value up while Norris is on LTIR, then you make the same move.

Pinto is much more important, short and log term, than Kubalik. Also we need guys like Joseph and Branny. Kubalik made sense until we signed Tarasenko. We only need one of them.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Kubalik for Ylonen

Ylonen is NHL ready and has Lehkonen written all over him. He'd be a good young depth player for Ottawa, who need cheap players to fill their roster.

A good bottom 6 with speed, size and a good shot that could develop into a good middle 6 if put in the right conditions.

Mtl desperately need offensive power and could trade Kubalik at the TD.

• Wow
Reactions: malcb33

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
A team would need cap space and a spot on a PP unit to take on Kubalik. During the opening week of the season, which team is that?

If Kubalik isn't on the PP, he's a pretty pedestrian winger at $2.5M.

The Coyotes just waived Travis Boyd ($1.75M/$2M salary). Boyd's TOI and 5-on-5 point production was similar to Kubalik. Kubalik produced on the PP, but Boyd played PP, PK, and took 2nd most FO on the Yotes last year. If you need a guy for the PP, Kubalik is the better bet. If you need an all-situations utility forward, Boyd is a good fit for the money. No one took Boyd for free, so it's hard to imagine one of the 8 teams with cap space ponying up for Kubalik right now.

Reactions: pth2

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Kubalik for Ylonen

Ylonen is NHL ready and has Lehkonen written all over him. He'd be a good young depth player for Ottawa, who need cheap players to fill their roster.

A good bottom 6 with speed, size and a good shot that could develop into a good middle 6 if put in the right conditions.

I suspect this would definitely work for Ottawa. Works for me. Would be fun to bring in the son of Yuha, too.

Reactions: samsagat

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Kubalik for Ylonen

Why would Mtl give up that for an expiring Kubalik? Mtl would have to trade him at deadline for a pick that if they are lucky might become a Ylonen in 3 or 4 years.

Teams will not be lining up to acquire Kubalik right now. The only teams that may are lower teir teams that can flip him at deadline- they will want to flip him for more than they pay. They know Ottawa is desperate so best case scenario is Ottawa can get back Future Considerations... worst case they have to add a sweetener. Dorion has painted himself into a corner and the other 31 GMs know it.

He is worth what someone will give you for him- and today that is probably Future considerations

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Kubalik for Ylonen

Son of Ottawa legend Juha Ylonen?!?!?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Why would Mtl give up that for an expiring Kubalik? Mtl would have to trade him at deadline for a pick that if they are lucky might become a Ylonen in 3 or 4 years.

Teams will not be lining up to acquire Kubalik right now. The only teams that may are lower teir teams that can flip him at deadline- they will want to flip him for more than they pay. They know Ottawa is desperate so best case scenario is Ottawa can get back Future Considerations... worst case they have to add a sweetener. Dorion has painted himself into a corner and the other 31 GMs know it.

He is worth what someone will give you for him- and today that is probably Future considerations
He won't return much but he would definitely return an asset.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Because Kubalik would be useful for habs (their PP is weak) and would get more at the TD than Ylonen.

Ylonen, right now, is worth nothing and Habs have too much players. Plus when Dvorak gets back probabilities are good he'll be the one sent down, and there's good chances he'd be picked off waiver.

Better getting something than nothing.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Because Kubalik would be useful for habs (their PP is weak) and would get more at the TD than Ylonen.

Ylonen, right now, is worth nothing and Habs have too much players. Plus when Dvorak gets back probabilities are good he'll be the one sent down, and there's good chances he'd be picked off waiver.

Better getting something than nothing.
Makes no sense for the Habs to do Kubalik for Ylonen. Kubalik is an expiring contract that, they want younger players not expiring UFA contracts.

Who would Kubalik displace on the power play (they use Dach Suzuki Caulfield and Monahan as F on PP)?

Assuming they trade Ylonen for Kubalik they still have the same number of players when Dvorak returns- if all healthy someone still has to be exposed to waivers. Most likely someone else is on IR by then.

Only reason to acquire Kubalik is to flip at deadline - the return at the deadline is unlikely to be an upgrade on Ylonen.

It makes no sense for the Habs.

Players like Kubalik are best moved in off season before teams have filled out rosters and spent their money. Sens are trading from a place of weakness- that will affect any return significantly

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Kubalik to a rebuilding team for a 3rd.

Kubalik pads his stats on their top line.

Kubalik get flipped to a contender for a 2nd at the deadline.

Win-win-win

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Kubalik to a rebuilding team for a 3rd.

Kubalik pads his stats on their top line.

Kubalik get flipped to a contender for a 2nd at the deadline.

Win-win-win
A 3rd, a 4th, or even just a serviceable, cheap 4th line/waiver exempt depth player. I wouldnt even be shocked if we do something like Kubalik + 6th for a 4th. Whatever, just get it done with.

I suspect Kubalik could return a 2nd, maybe more with retention at the deadline.

There's also the possibility of a team using a retention slot on Kubalik right now and flipping him to a contender at $1.25m.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Kubalik's production last season was based on his playing principally with Larkin and Perron, and getting top PP minutes. If a team isn't utilizing him that high up the depth chart, they should expect his production to dip accordingly.

But if a team has cap space, budget, and is just trying to fill a 3rd/4th line depth winger, why wouldn't they sign one of the remaining UFAs to a minimum deal?

Bailey, Ritchie, Kessel, etc are all still out there. For 1/3 of the price and without giving up a pick or prospect, why wouldn't a team bring in one (or all three!) of them instead of Kubalik?

I think right now is a difficult time to try and unload Kubalik.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Kubalik's production last season was based on his playing principally with Larkin and Perron, and getting top PP minutes. If a team isn't utilizing him that high up the depth chart, they should expect his production to dip accordingly.

But if a team has cap space, budget, and is just trying to fill a 3rd/4th line depth winger, why wouldn't they sign one of the remaining UFAs to a minimum deal?

Bailey, Ritchie, Kessel, etc are all still out there. For 1/3 of the price and without giving up a pick or prospect, why wouldn't a team bring in one (or all three!) of them instead of Kubalik?

I think right now is a difficult time to try and unload Kubalik.
I guess the argument would be that Kubalik is a better player than those three, has more left in the tank/is still pretty early into his NHL career, and wouldn't cost that much in asset cost. He still averages 18 EVG per 82 and can play both wings. I suspect a team would see him as the best available option - and the option most likely to be flipped for a better asset - and they would be willing to give up a mid-rounder as a result

I agree, though, this is the worst possible time to be trading Kubalik. Doesn't mean he will get nothing, but definitely not nearly as much as he would have if the Sens flipped him at the time of the Debrincat trade.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I guess the argument would be that Kubalik is a better player than those three, has more left in the tank/is still pretty early into his NHL career, and wouldn't cost that much in asset cost. He still averages 18 EVG per 82 and can play both wings. I suspect a team would see him as the best available option - and the option most likely to be flipped for a better asset - and they would be willing to give up a mid-rounder as a result

I agree, though, this is the worst possible time to be trading Kubalik. Doesn't mean he will get nothing, but definitely not nearly as much as he would have if the Sens flipped him at the time of the Debrincat trade.
I agree that the strong move is to unload Kubalik. But I'm not as confident as you seem to be that there's a taker out there for Kubalik for future considerations even. Which of the teams with cap would consider it? I don't think the Yotes would (I think they tried to unload Boyd in hopes of freeing up the budget, but it didn't work - there was no reason to waive Boyd).

If there's not a taker, and soon, that means they'll be forced to look to unload Joseph, no? I get why that's unattractive, but it seems like the only other route.

Maybe there's a taker for Kubalik right now. I just don't see an obvious landing spot.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
At this point, if Pinto is really needed (I think he is), then trading kubalik for future considerations may be the only choice or a 7th rounder.

Yes he is definitely worth more than that, but is it worth keeping him longer and keeping pinto out of the lineup? or vice versa.

imo, pinto > kubalik, so wasting time on find a great trade partner with palatable return is more damaging to the team. It is the first week of the season, but at the end of the year when ott is fighting for the WC spot (presumably), the first few games of the season are always the ones that teams wish they could have back.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I agree that the strong move is to unload Kubalik. But I'm not as confident as you seem to be that there's a taker out there for Kubalik for future considerations even. Which of the teams with cap would consider it? I don't think the Yotes would (I think they tried to unload Boyd in hopes of freeing up the budget, but it didn't work - there was no reason to waive Boyd).

If there's not a taker, and soon, that means they'll be forced to look to unload Joseph, no? I get why that's unattractive, but it seems like the only other route.

Maybe there's a taker for Kubalik right now. I just don't see an obvious landing spot.
I dont think theres much chance of Joseph being easier to trade than Kubalik, but if that was the case I would definitely be open to it.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I can't imagine Kubalik having any value.

He isn't a bad player, but in the flat cap environment after the season has started, the cap is king. If the Senators are looking for a cap neutral deal, there are deals to be had. Since the Senators are looking to shed cap, it will cost them an asset to do so, even if the player they give up has a bit of value.

We've seen loads of good players go for peanuts even in the offseason, like Toffoli who led Calgary in scoring go for Sharangovich. That was in the offseason when teams have time to maneuver.

There are 9 teams with cap space more than $2.5M at the moment. If there was a market to trade for Kubalik, he'd have been traded by now. A team like Chicago or Zona could take him on, but they're probably asking for a sweetener to do so and waiting for Ottawa to blink.

As an aside, I'd consider as a Canes fan some deal where we give Skjei or Pesce to Ottawa and take on Kubalik + an add from Ottawa, but I don't think Ottawa would find the + palatable. It'd be a 1st, and with maybe some moving parts salary wise, and those moving parts probably couldn't be worked out.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
As an aside, I'd consider as a Canes fan some deal where we give Skjei or Pesce to Ottawa and take on Kubalik + an add from Ottawa, but I don't think Ottawa would find the + palatable. It'd be a 1st, and with maybe some moving parts salary wise, and those moving parts probably couldn't be worked out.
I'd do a deal for Pesce if Carolina kept half his salary to even things out, or we added Brannstrom to the deal.

Kubalik + Brannstrom + 1st -> Pesce @50%

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad