Speculation: Kris Letang requested a trade to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pardon? Surely you're trolling? There isn't a single list that doesn't have them top-10 right now and the majority have them top-5

Looks like you are right. I haven't paid much attention to prospect ratings this summer, but it looks like Demidov and Hage have really pushed them up.

Either way, I don't think Hughes buying a champion like Letang on the cheap would be unexpected. Hell, he already targeted Matheson who was at the time viewed as having one of the worst contracts in the league to get out of Petry.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Okay, but which "intelligent moves" has Hughes made so far? You can argue he hasn't been bad, but what moves have been "omg how did he pull off that robbery?!" moves during his tenure?

It's not like a string of his moves have turned the Habs into a surprising playoff team ahead of their rebuild schedule.
That would've implied that he had tried to.
... Which would not have been intelligent.

Looks like you are right. I haven't paid much attention

We had already figured that one out.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Okay, but which "intelligent moves" has Hughes made so far? You can argue he hasn't been bad, but what moves have been "omg how did he pull off that robbery?!" moves during his tenure?

It's not like a string of his moves have turned the Habs into a surprising playoff team ahead of their rebuild schedule.
I mean he got a 1st to take on Monahan and a 1st to trade him... objective robbery

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's weird that some non Hab fans are telling Hab fans that we should be thankful that Letang wants to play for us.

Which part of we suffered enough of the basement and looking forward to developing the great prospects we now have. PARTICULARLY on defense.

We got vets and a damn good development team so the we are NOT a retirement home for aging nostalgic vets.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It's weird that some non Hab fans are telling Hab fans that we should be thankful that Letang wants to play for us.

Which part of we suffered enough of the basement and looking forward to developing the great prospects we now have. PARTICULARLY on defense.

We got vets and a damn good development team so the we are NOT a retirement home for aging nostalgic vets.

Nobody is saying you shoudl be thankful that Letang wants to play for you.

Just that many teams with young cores have made similar moves to acquire a veteran of Letang's pedigree and it's not "outlandish" or something Kent Hughes would never do.

Also, Letang just put up 51 points. Good for 4th on the Habs last year. Let's not pretend he's out there playing 15 minutes a night putting up 20 pts..

1723831367579.png

1723831379329.png

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Nobody is saying you shoudl be thankful that Letang wants to play for you.

Just that many teams with young cores have made similar moves to acquire a veteran of Letang's pedigree and it's not "outlandish" or something Kent Hughes would never do.

Also, Letang just put up 51 points. Good for 4th on the Habs last year. Let's not pretend he's out there playing 15 minutes a night putting up 20 pts..

View attachment 901435

View attachment 901436
A rebuilding team will not take on a player coming up on his 40's making 6.1 mill a year. We have enough guys to mentor the kids. If we didn't then we coukd sign some 2-3 million dollar players for a year or 2.

We don't want any past thier prime, declining players on Montreal because they stated now they want to play here. Maybe if he wanted to when he was in his prime sure.

Plus we already have a better Offensive D and younger in Matheson. Why would we need another? Especially when we have Hutson as well going to be playing.

Just makes zero sense to take him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not sure how adding a player of Letang's caliber for what would probably be peanuts is idiotic.

He's currently a # 1 defenseman. Montreal doesn't have one.

He'd greatly assist with allowing Montreal's d-core to properly develop and his off ice impacts would be simply irreplaceable.
Habs already have veteran D to help with the transition. Taking on a 37 year old with 4 years remaining on a 6K caphit while rebuilding is there very definition of idiotic.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

I don't think it's nostalgia. I think that hockey management implicitly do favors for vets on their last bit of career to humor their needs after controlling their salary and contract for the early part of their career. Having the power to literally uproot a guy to another city because "hockey organization needs" is not a small thing and not something most civilians experience. It's more akin to military service in that you go where management wants you to.

I think the Habs humored Petry the same and got him to Detroit.

Part of it may be to avoid having weak points in labor negotiations, as the NHL union is stronger than the NFL's.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I forgot I was talking to a Canadian markets fans. Their teams are always the greatest despite not winning a cup in 23 years.

Happy to keep Letang.
You don't sound like you are. You keep trying to pawn him off, or sell him to us like some greasy used car sales man trying take shots at us. We get you want assets for your old guys to start your own rebuild, but truth is, you would need to send us bunch of 1st round picks to take on that contract. Otherwise look else where.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You don't sound like you are. You keep trying to pawn him off, or sell him to us like some greasy used car sales man trying take shots at us. We get you want assets for your old guys to start your own rebuild, but truth is, you would need to send us bunch of 1st round picks to take on that contract. Otherwise look else where.

Kris Letang is my favorite player. I'm happy if he leaves, because I could see him being a big part of the Habs being a playoff team if he went there.

I'm hapy if he stays, because he's probably the most underrated defenseman of the cap era.

Habs already have veteran D to help with the transition. Taking on a 37 year old with 4 years remaining on a 6K caphit while rebuilding is there very definition of idiotic.

Meh. I could see Habs management viewing it differently. Also 6 million isn't really a big cap hit at all with the way the cap is going up.

A rebuilding team will not take on a player coming up on his 40's making 6.1 mill a year. We have enough guys to mentor the kids. If we didn't then we coukd sign some 2-3 million dollar players for a year or 2.

We don't want any past thier prime, declining players on Montreal because they stated now they want to play here. Maybe if he wanted to when he was in his prime sure.

Plus we already have a better Offensive D and younger in Matheson. Why would we need another? Especially when we have Hutson as well going to be playing.

Just makes zero sense to take him.

Letang is an all situational # 1 D who as I already alluded to will have a huge impact on the room.

Comparing him to Matheson is absolutely hilarious.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Kris Letang is my favorite player. I'm happy if he leaves, because I could see him being a big part of the Habs being a playoff team if he went there.

I'm hapy if he stays, because he's probably the most underrated defenseman of the cap era.

Meh. I could see Habs management viewing it differently. Also 6 million isn't really a big cap hit at all with the way the cap is going up.

Letang is an all situational # 1 D who as I already alluded to will have a huge impact on the room.

At this point in his career, it is not at all. Matheson on a much worse teams puts up more points, way younger, and 1000x better contract.Plus with Hutson stepping in, Letang is the last guy we want or need.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
At this point in thier respective careers I would easily take Matheson and most would. Not to take away what Letang has done but he is on the decline with a huge contract.

Letang had 15 more points at 5v5 than Matheson last year while playing second fiddle to Erik Karlsson.

You're digging yourself further. Matheson has been a cap dump twice in his career.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Letang had 15 more points at 5v5 than Matheson last year.

You're digging yourself further. Matheson has been a cap dump twice in his career.
That is irrelevant to what he does and is now. He is very similar in playing style to Letang, except Letang had an all star team to play with.
Let's put this into context. Montreal gf vs GA was - 53 while Pitts was +4 . That will have a huge impact on your measly 15 point 5 on 5 stat.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Kris Letang is a connsumate pro, has 3 championship rings, and just put up numbers that would make him the 4th best point producer on the Habs.

He'd be a huge boost to the Habs locker room and is a more intense version of Crosby in terms of his offseason preparation.

If he came up in most other franchises he would be wearing the C.

The impact he would have on that young team is literally unparalleled and if the coaching staff used him correctly unlike Mike Sullivan in PIT where he is playing 24 a night, he'd probably be a great asset for them for at least the next 2-3 years.
No one is denying that. His contract just doesn’t fit in Montreal cap structure. We will need to resign Hutson, Reinbacher, Dach and Newhook by the time his contract expire.

Just impossible to fit for a 37 years old.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
That is irrelevant to what he does and is now. He is very similar in playing style to Letang, except Letang had an all star team to play with.
Let's put this into context. Montreal gf vs GA was - 53 while Pitts was +4 . That will have a huge impact on your measly 15 point 5 on 5 stat.

Then why didn't Matheson do it in PIT?

He was 26th in 5v5 production and 20th in 5v5 per 60 while playing the exact role Letang is (if not even more sheltered).

Also hilarious to say the Penguins are an all star team at this point in their existence.

No one is denying that. His contract just doesn’t fit in Montreal cap structure. We will need to resign Hutson, Reinbacher, Dach and Newhook by the time his contract expire.

Just impossible to fit for a 37 years old.

I mean, I wouldn't be shocked to see Letang do something similar to what Keith did in Edmonton. Come to Montreal for two years. Try to get the youth into their first playoff series and then ultimately retire due to the vast amount of injuries he's suffered in his career.

I don't believe a trade between Montreal and PIT is likely for Letang. Madden is a shit stirrer who is connected, but he is rarely breaking news.

I just think it's hilarious how many Habs fans are immediately jumping on it saying "THERE IS NO CHANCE THIS HAPPENS".

Hughes would jump at bringing in a player of Letang's caliber for nothing to lead his youth group back into contention. Hits all the narratives especially since the Habs could probably dump cap back on PIT in the form of Anderson or Gallagher.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Then why didn't Matheson do it in PIT?

He was 26th in 5v5 production and 20th in 5v5 per 60 while playing the exact role Letang is (if not even more sheltered).

Also hilarious to say the Penguins are an all star team at this point in their existence.

I mean, I wouldn't be shocked to see Letang do something similar to what Keith did in Edmonton. Come to Montreal for two years. Try to get the youth into their first playoff series and then ultimately retire due to the vast amount of injuries he's suffered in his career.

I don't believe a trade between Montreal and PIT is likely for Letang. Madden is a shit stirrer who is connected, but he is rarely breaking news.

I just think it's hilarious how many Habs fans are immediately jumping on it saying "THERE IS NO CHANCE THIS HAPPENS".

Hughes would jump at bringing in a player of Letang's caliber for nothing to lead his youth group back into contention. Hits all the narratives especially since the Habs could probably dump cap back on PIT in the form of Anderson or Gallagher.
Again. I am talking about the player he is now and rather who he became. That is a solid offensive player on a cheap contract. With that stated, you don't need to feel that you need to defend Letang. He had a great career but at this stage, and contract we don't need him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Again. I am talking about the player he is now and rather who he became. That is a solid offensive player on a cheap contract. With that stated, you don't need to feel that you need to defend Letang. He had a great career but at this stage, and contract we don't need him.

Guarantee Hughes would do something like Josh Anderson and a 3rd for Kris Letang.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

What are you paying the Habs to take him on? Because that's the only way the Habs would take on a 37 year old fossil If the answer it nothing... then there's no trade to be made. For obvious reasons.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
What are you paying the Habs to take him on? Because that's the only way the Habs would take on a 37 year old fossil If the answer it nothing... then there's no trade to be made. For obvious reasons.

I imagine it's PIT taking on Gallagher or Anderson's contract with a small add if it would actually go down. Most likely Anderson's over Gallagher given the concept of the trade would be that PIT loses the better player, but gets a younger asset they can flip when they crash and burn in two years.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Guarantee Hughes would do something like Josh Anderson and a 3rd for Kris Letang.
I rather keep Andreson and expect a bounce back year from him. Plus, he hits and is a big body. I rather we stay bigger than smaller. So I hope that is not the case.
Plus Letang at trade deadline, with retention to a cup contender would get Pitts more.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

There’s no guarantee to that and if he doesn’t, then Montreal will have to sacrifice an excellent piece - if not a core piece - to either get rid of the contract or because they don’t have the cap to keep everyone.

I’m not sure what Montreal would get out of moving Gallagher for Letang. They get the same kind of leadership from Gallagher but Letang have that extra year on his contract.

Whether the rumors are true or not is a bit irrelevant. His contract doesn’t fit in our cap structure, so I guess there was ever any discussion regarding Letang it wouldn’t have gone that much further than his current contract not fitting in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad