Speculation: Kris Letang requested a trade to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I rather keep Andreson and expect a bounce back year from him. Plus, he hits and is a big body. I rather we stay bigger than smaller. So I hope that is not the case.
Plus Letang at trade deadline, with retention to a cup contender would get Pitts more.

Letang has a full NMC. I imagine the only reason he is entertaining a deal to Montreal is to be closer to family after the passing of his father.

Also, I legitimately don't think this is even worth talking about anymore if you are going to act like Anderson has a better trajectory than Letang over the next few years.

Just complete horseshit analysis at this point to be right.

There’s no guarantee to that and if he doesn’t, then Montreal will have to sacrifice an excellent piece - if not a core piece - to either get rid of the contract or because they don’t have the cap to keep everyone.

I’m not sure what Montreal would get out of moving Gallagher for Letang. They get the same kind of leadership from Gallagher but Letang have that extra year on his contract.

Whether the rumors are true or not is a bit irrelevant. His contract doesn’t fit in our cap structure, so I guess there was ever any discussion regarding Letang it wouldn’t have gone that much further than his current contract not fitting in.

They get a defenseman who just finished top 10 in 5v5 production versus a forward who finished 156th. They are moving a cap dump for a top four defenseman at worst over the entirety of his contract unless he has significant injuries which is counter to the other point you are making.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Letang has a full NMC. I imagine the only reason he is entertaining a deal to Montreal is to be closer to family after the passing of his father.

Also, I legitimately don't think this is even worth talking about anymore if you are going to act like Anderson has a better trajectory than Letang over the next few years.

No. I never said that. I clearly stated I rather keep Anderson for his size and I expect a nice bounce back season from him. Most Hab fans would agree we don't want to get any smaller.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
They get a defenseman who just finished top 10 in 5v5 production versus a forward who finished 156th. They are moving a cap dump for a top four defenseman at worst over the entirety of his contract unless he has significant injuries which is counter to the other point you are making.
Yes - But again, they get him (at 37) for 4 more years. Montreal has 5.5M in cap space and Slaf (+6.7M) and Guhle (+4.6M) already has contract kicking in next year.

In two years, they have to resign Dach, Xhekaj, Roy, Metheson and Hutson.

In year 3 they will have to hand out new contracts to Newhook, Reinbacher, Montembeault/Primeau and potentially Demidov.

Right now there shouldn’t be too much of an issue cap wise in year 3 since both Gallagher and Anderson cap are coming off the book but if we do add an extra year it might become a serious issue getting everyone under contract, especially since Letang will be 40/41 for those years.

The problem isn’t that Letang is not good right now. It’s that by the time we will need cap he won’t be good AND his contract will be an issue.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Yes - But again, they get him (at 37) for 4 more years. Montreal has 5.5M in cap space and Slaf (+6.7M) and Guhle (+4.6M) already has contract kicking in next year.

In two years, they have to resign Dach, Xhekaj, Roy, Metheson and Hutson.

In year 3 they will have to hand out new contracts to Newhook, Reinbacher, Montembeault/Primeau and potentially Demidov.

Right now there shouldn’t be too much of an issue cap wise in year 3 since both Gallagher and Anderson cap are coming off the book but if we do add an extra year it might become a serious issue getting everyone under contract, especially since Letang will be 40/41 for those years.

The problem isn’t that Letang is not good right now. It’s that by the time we will need cap he won’t be good AND his contract will be an issue.

Most teams don't re-sign every player. Hughes will figure it out.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

They’re not getting a top 4 at worst over the life the contract, he’ll be 41 at the end.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
There have been rumours of Letang wanting to play in Montreal for a few years. Mostly Montreal mouthpieces; but he is a local guy, his family is all here, he trains in Brossard with habs players, Hughes was his agent etc...
Aside from the fact he doesn't fit the Habs rebuild, he is a terrific player.
But where does he fit? Habs are loaded on D, it's up front they need some additional talent.
Does hughes move on from Mattheson? Unlikely. Savard? Most likely but adding 4 years of Letang doesn't make sense.
Habs already need to move some young D like Barron & Harris

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes, I'm aware of his contract. I don't see him falling off a cliff at 40. 41 maybe. But, to be honest. Letang is probably like a top 3 player in terms of physical mantience over his career.
Good then you agree he’s not top 4 for 4 seasons, I guess that’s why you only mentioned 3.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Mark Madden is not a reporter. He's a 400 pound radio shock jockey. Blow hard that cares only about getting attention. Nothing to see here. When a reputable source in Pittsburgh reports this, I'll give it notice.

For anyone not familiar with Pittsburgh beat writers: they are all crocks. Seriously, we don't even have one reliable one.

And for those unfamiliar, I encourage you to look up Mark Madden. Just take a gander at the guy - he's a bit of a specimen.
Controversial, but I like the team at DKpittsburghsports.com Taylor Haase is great.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If this were ever remotely true, it was years ago. Rumor was Jim Rutherford was exploring trading Letang and the management interference he got was ultimately what caused him to resign. Consider that very much a rumor though and it was now two GMs and more than three years ago.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't know about this year but perhaps next year.

I think Montreal would benefit having a Letang in the future that Vet D Presence
I just don't think this is the year though

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
What's hilarious is Dubas has done this twice. In Toronto he had Rielly and brought in Barrie who played the same role and it didn't work and had to move off a guy. In Pittsburgh he had Letang, brought in Karlsson it didn't work and now a guy wants out lmao

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I'd put my money on Letang being as effective as Brent Burns has been throughout his late 30s.
Cool, then the Penguins, a borderline playoff team, should keep Letang. The Canadiens, a rebuilding team, have no interest in mortgaging the future in an attempt to qualify for a quick playoff appearance.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Apr 9, 2009
USA
There have been rumours of Letang wanting to play in Montreal for a few years. Mostly Montreal mouthpieces; but he is a local guy, his family is all here, he trains in Brossard with habs players, Hughes was his agent etc...
Aside from the fact he doesn't fit the Habs rebuild, he is a terrific player.
But where does he fit? Habs are loaded on D, it's up front they need some additional talent.
Does hughes move on from Mattheson? Unlikely. Savard? Most likely but adding 4 years of Letang doesn't make sense.
Habs already need to move some young D like Barron & Harris

You’d think he would have signed in MTL when his contract was up two years ago if this rumor has been floating around for longer than that.

It’s bogus. He signed a long-term extension with a NTC. That’s as many signs as we can get that he wants to stay in Pittsburgh.

This post feels like it sounds confrontational, but it isn’t meant to be.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
What's hilarious is Dubas has done this twice. In Toronto he had Rielly and brought in Barrie who played the same role and it didn't work and had to move off a guy. In Pittsburgh he had Letang, brought in Karlsson it didn't work and now a guy wants out lmao

I don't think Letang and Karlsson have any conflicts tbh.

EK65 is clearly the defacto # 1 for the Penguins moving forward.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Why would the Habs add to an already crowded D core. Letang is a nice piece for already established blue line looking to get over that playoff hump.

Montreal has a few beauties on the rise like Rienbacker, Hutson, Mailloux plus the D that pushed their way into the discussion last year Struble, Harris, Xhekaj. Vets Savard & Matheson will not survive the TDL. This D core will be built around K Ghule, he’s tracking to become a top pairing D, remember he’s only 22.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad