Confirmed with Link: Kovacevic Traded to the Devils for 2026 4th Round pick (Highest of the three 4th Rounders the Devils own)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
No one said anything about throwing anyone away for nothing. They just won't stick around if they fall behind other prospects on the depth chart. That is assets management.

No one's arguing if they fall behind they'll be left behind. But they're going to give them every opportunity not to be. No need to force it.

This is a huge year for both Harris and Barron if they want to stick around long term.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
How many people are aware of the fact that Hutson has to win his job in camp.
They aren't just going to hand it to him. I wouldn't be penciling him in just yet.
I have Hutson penciled on.

It's bcause he has to win the job in camp that I don't have him written in in pen.

• Wow
Reactions: Rapala

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Kovacevic was a serviceable bottom pairing/7th D for the Habs. He did have a really tough stretch during the back half of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a long career as a journeyman 5th, 6th, 7th D in the NHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not great return for a very solid bottom-pairing defenseman, but the surfeit of players made it a necessary move to clear space. No complaints.
What should the return be for a 6/7 level Dman be?

He would havebeen lost on waivers in October so glad they got something for him. A 4th is what he is worth. And it frees up a contract spot.
Freeing up a contract spot is never a bad thing.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Didn't expected much for a 7th Dman healthy scratch more often than not, so a 4th round pick seems like a ok return.....I would have been mad to give a 4th for a Kovacevic actually.

I really like the fact it's a 2026 pick and I hope that all the players he need to trade this year return pick in that year, building a year in advance seems like something Hugues has been doing since the start here....great strategy of asset management, make it easier.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Makes sense to move Kovacevic but he always felt like great value at 766K and a pretty ideal bottom pairing dman. Wishing him well with NJD
I wonder if this trade is both because we have a log jam but also to give him a chance to fully establish himself as a everyday player, with the Habs depth he'd be rotating in and out of the lineup.

Ultimately players like Kovacevic aren't gonna make or break this team and should be moved for picks if given the chance. We got him for free and can easily sign a depth D who can player every 4th game or just sit in the press box till an injury.

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I like the trade, but just wonder if we couldn't have done this yesterday considering Holtz got moved for a 3rd. Would have preferred taking a flyer on him and adding a late pick to Kovy.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I like the trade, but just wonder if we couldn't have done this yesterday considering Holtz got moved for a 3rd. Would have preferred taking a flyer on him and adding a late pick to Kovy.
Have you seen Paul Cotter play? The Devils got a decent player in return for Holtz. Maybe the Habs had no interest in Holtz...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2