Value of: Kotkaniemi extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What will the Hurricanes sign Kotkaniemi for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFamousFart

Dec 25, 2020
I felt it when they didnt match it was a massive mistake and got so sad they let him go but reading this thread makes me feel embarrassed of fellow Habs fans still trying to bash him. Carolina took this one and we got boofed. Nothing we can do about that. Happy that MB is gone to say the least. Good for KK that he has had a good run now and i just read that his pts per 60mins is really top tier for his age, beating the likes of Mackinnon etc.

Reactions: Stubu and barbu

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Always liked KK and his potential. Very solid top 9 centre that is progressing nicely towards a top 6 centre. Seems to be a good character also, good to see him developing nicely.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Yes. Exactly. He’s terrible. We are hating his 6 game point streak he’s on.

But for real I just thought it was funny because that’s what Habs fans always say about him… ‘Aren’t you sick of his Bambi on ice skating and falling down all the time?!?!?’

The answer to that is no, not really.

To be fair, before the season started, most Habs fans grudgingly expected Kotkaniemi to do well. On paper, he seemed like a perfect fit with the young Canes team. Then he got off to a slow start and Habs fans were pleasantly surprised and started to get more vocal. He’s still not a 6 million dollar player but he’s trending that way.

But when Montreal gets the 33rd overall pick for finishing last, you’re going to be saying “We basically have two firsts!!!”

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Well said

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
That was a meme started on the Habs forum mostly by Danault fans who really hated KK because they thought he'd push Danault out. He does fall down because he's still a bit gangly, but it was to the point that if he'd fall, the KK discussion would get 3+ pages in an hour.
I like KK, but his skating and balance are bad and have shown little imroovement in the last few years. It's not a meme, it's reality.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Don't be too excited about KK having a productive streak, he always had them.

And then he fall back to sleep.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't be too excited about KK having a productive streak, he always had them.

And then he fall back to sleep.
A fair under/over for KK at the start of the season would have been his totals as a rookie of 34 points. Would you have bet the under or over in that. I figured he would but not by much. Didn’t think he’d hit 50.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
35 points is still doable for Kotkaniemi. If he keeps getting, unfairly, put on 3rd or 4th lines as a winger then he may be streaky the rest of the way. At 21 he needs some stability but he is getting bounced around a lot.

Jul 6, 2016
He is still playing 13-14 minutes a game. Started the year as a LW. Lucky to cash in 6,1 M $ + playing for a top NHL team.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
He is still playing 13-14 minutes a game. Started the year as a LW. Lucky to cash in 6,1 M $ + playing for a top NHL team.
Unfairly? he hasn't come close to earning himself in the top 6 and he's soft as shit

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Unfairly? he hasn't come close to earning himself in the top 6 and he's soft as shit
Im assuming you meant to quote me. I say unfairly because he has played well. On top of that, he was on another level when given the 2C spot during the height of our covid issues. He has outplayed Staal to this point. It’s obvious he is a lot more comfortable in the center position. Soft as shit is egregious hyperbole.

Reactions: Stubu

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
Please tell me everyone on this thread knows that Montreal keeps their pick this year if it’s top ten and Arizona gets Carolina’s which basically means we got Dvorak for two 2nds ???

which pretty much means the habs won this deal as it stands!

But that second will probably be really high, so using your logic, basically a 1st, so it’s back to a 1st and a 2nd. A 1st that is a 2nd and a 2nd that is a 1st.

If only there was a well defined way of classifying picks it would make life a lot easier.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Way to out yourself as never having watched him play. Also 8 points in 6 games doesn't earn a person a promotion? Was he supposed to go 2ppg average and play like a 1st liner?

Reactions: Stubu

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Both sides are overboard. Habs fans are right that he is a bad skater and takes too long to shoot. Canes fans are right that we really don’t care because he fits the team pretty well and we don’t all have the highest expectations for him. Current Canes management isn’t afraid of taking chances and this was a perfectly fine chance to take. He’s not worth six million but no one on either side ever said he was. That was just the cost of acquisition. As a Canes fan I’m still indifferent about his play, though I like that a lot of his points are greasy hard work points. The idea that he can replace Staal is a bit ridiculous as Staal has been one of the best third line centers in the league and JK has none of the more dominant defensive oriented attributes Staal has but he can be a solid third line center. He’s a middle six player and the Canes fan have him for his prime it it works out.

There’s no regrets from the Canes side. There’s not a lot of player movement these days, especially in this age group and you have take your chances when the opportunity arises. He’s worth the pick which is all I care about. I couldn’t care less about the six million. I’m not paying it and it isn’t hurting us.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Both sides are overboard. Habs fans are right that he is a bad skater and takes too long to shoot. Canes fans are right that we really don’t care because he fits the team pretty well and we don’t all have the highest expectations for him. Current Canes management isn’t afraid of taking chances and this was a perfectly fine chance to take. He’s not worth six million but no one on either side ever said he was. That was just the cost of acquisition. As a Canes fan I’m still indifferent about his play, though I like that a lot of his points are greasy hard work points. The idea that he can replace Staal is a bit ridiculous as Staal has been one of the best third line centers in the league and JK has none of the more dominant defensive oriented attributes Staal has but he can be a solid third line center. He’s a middle six player and the Canes fan have him for his prime it it works out.

There’s no regrets from the Canes side. There’s not a lot of player movement these days, especially in this age group and you have take your chances when the opportunity arises. He’s worth the pick which is all I care about. I couldn’t care less about the six million. I’m not paying it and it isn’t hurting us.

There is going to bias as the year goes on.

going into this if you said the 1st was going to be 27-32 is very different than Carolina just missed the playoffs by a point then wins the lottery.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
But that second will probably be really high, so using your logic, basically a 1st, so it’s back to a 1st and a 2nd. A 1st that is a 2nd and a 2nd that is a 1st.

If only there was a well defined way of classifying picks it would make life a lot easier.
Considering the 2nd isn’t from this season but instead 2024 your intense calculations are wrong

Reactions: The Great Weal

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There is going to bias as the year goes on.

going into this if you said the 1st was going to be 27-32 is very different than Carolina just missed the playoffs by a point then wins the lottery.
The Canes were one of the best teams in the league last season and there was no reason to think they would be worse. In September you might’ve said they went sideways but not backwards. It was always going to be unlikely they missed the playoffs.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Surprised they didn't extend him yet, I would have bet they already had a deal worked out. Maybe they did and then it fell though?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Surprised they didn't extend him yet, I would have bet they already had a deal worked out. Maybe they did and then it fell though?

It’s been a weird season for the Canes roster. So many injuries and COVID cases that the lineup juggling had been immense. Both sides might want things to settle in a bit and see where Koko slots in before putting pen to paper. He’s definitely proving to be a very useful player for us though.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I called lose, lose, lose and am sticking by that prediction. While on a great team, KK can't be happy playing 10 a night. Not a great development year for him IMO.

Montreal can't be happy with Dvorak for KK. I know I'm.

And the Canes were expecting him to be able to play up the lineup. I get that he is a useful player but come-on, everyone including me was expecting him to play more then limited 4th line minutes.

I do think he will pick it up in the playoffs, he has a second gear and those 4th line guys that step up can change a series.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Look at his production and fit with the team. He had a big 2 weeks potting 8 points over a 6 game span in the second quarter of the season but has like 22 points in 47 games I total. Outside of that stretch of 6 games he put up 14 points in 41 games.
His current pace is 39 points over 82 games.

so what kind of deal would make sense to both sides right now?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If he picks it up in the playoffs and/or provides depth when injuries occur (which they will), then I'm fine with it from a Canes POV, even if I didn't like the acquisition when it was first made. I don't really care about the pick that much.

Even if the Canes lose him after the season ends, it would mean they basically paid a "deadline rental" price for a full season of Kotkaniemi. If he picks it up in the playoffs and the Canes do well, then it's fine.

Canes had 33 picks in the last 3 drafts, have a good young team, have a top 10 prospect pool, and still have 8 picks in the upcoming draft (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 2 6ths, 2 7ths). Even if a small % of their prospects and picks ever pan out, they won't all be able to play in Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad