Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
As dirty said, if there’s a decent offer for Swick on the table, I take it now. As I said earlier, the risks involved in hanging onto Rehkopf until the deadline also apply to Swick and Andonovski, and Sale as well if he is returned.

I move all three sooner than later to reduce risk and maximize return.

As far as having a low number of vets on the team to help out the kids, there will be castoff vets from contending teams that we could get for a song if we think we need veteran experience in the lineup.

And where we end up this year in the standings means nothing to me (and despite what he says, MM making the Rehkopf trade now tells me he doesn’t much care either). Best case scenario is a top four pick. That player we take in the first round would be in his NHL draft year the season we try to host. It would be ideal for that player to be elite. Compare to Rehkopf a couple years ago and the contribution he made here in his draft year. He was a big part of our forward group that year.

With the scarcity of available OA right wingers this year, depending on the start Miseljevic has, there may be a market for him at the deadline as well.
Offloading everyone with value and attempting to finish 8th would be a win-win for fans and the organization. They get some playoff revenue we know they put so much value in while we get see us be in a position to draft one of the many elite forwards in the 09 class.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
With the scarcity of available OA right wingers this year, depending on the start Miseljevic has, there may be a market for him at the deadline as well.
I think Misaljevic since he slowed down in the second half of the season would need to prove himself more than swick or Andonovski, I predict they trade swick early for picks if they find the right package- ando and misaljevic are deadline deals- ando returning an 08+ probably and Misaljevic returning picks

Then in coming seasons use some of these picks to acquire good younger pieces that will be around for their m cup run.

Not super familiar with your goaltending prospects- anyone that may be around and good for that season?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think Misaljevic since he slowed down in the second half of the season would need to prove himself more than swick or Andonovski, I predict they trade swick early for picks if they find the right package- ando and misaljevic are deadline deals- ando returning an 08+ probably and Misaljevic returning picks

Then in coming seasons use some of these picks to acquire good younger pieces that will be around for their m cup run.

Not super familiar with your goaltending prospects- anyone that may be around and good for that season?
Edwards was very good in he b but Aldo on a loaded team

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Edwards was very good in he b but Aldo on a loaded team

I know this guy was on the super loaded barrie team but do you think he could be their goalie for the future?

What’s the odds of schaubel making the ohl this year?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I know this guy was on the super loaded barrie team but do you think he could be their goalie for the future?

What’s the odds of schaubel making the ohl this year?
I think not good. We’ll have a tandem of one of the OA’s and Edwards to start the season. For his development, I see him being placed on a JrB team as Edwards was last year to get the minutes needed for his development.

Then, going into 25-26, we should see a tandem of Edwards and Schaubel. They can push each other for minutes. Not a bad situation to be in.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Could very well take Edwards spot in Elmira and practice with the team like Edwards did. I think they’ll give him some games in the back half this year.
Best case scenario....agreed. Schaubel looked good at camp in the spring and Team Canada even had a look at him for the Hlinka Gretzky. He's 15 and won't turn 16 until this month of the 30th. Playing on Elmira will also allow him to work out with the Rangers and their goalie coach. And depending on trades and/or injuries, he might just see some ice time this season.

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
I think not good. We’ll have a tandem of one of the OA’s and Edwards to start the season. For his development, I see him being placed on a JrB team as Edwards was last year to get the minutes needed for his development.

Then, going into 25-26, we should see a tandem of Edwards and Schaubel. They can push each other for minutes. Not a bad situation to be in.
I agree with this path for sure and hope it’s the case I’m just concerned over the politics behind the scenes.

He had signed a BCHL offer with a team that had both goalie spots open and I just can’t see him walking away from that to play jr B locally, unless that BC team told him he wouldn’t dress or MM promised him something.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree with this path for sure and hope it’s the case I’m just concerned over the politics behind the scenes.

He had signed a BCHL offer with a team that had both goalie spots open and I just can’t see him walking away from that to play jr B locally, unless that BC team told him he wouldn’t dress or MM promised him something.
he would have walked away from the bchl the moment he signed with kitchener. they are outlaw and the rangers would be throwing away a year of his play if he stayed there.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
With Fanfest starting on Friday, August 30th, Rangers are about a week and a half away from Training Camp....so possibly Mon. Aug. 26 to 29 with their first exhibition game on Friday vs Brantford. Summer is speeding into fall and hockey season will soon be upon us!

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
How do we think the OA situation will play out before the season starts to get down to three?
One goalie moved for sure and then hopefully Misa or Swick get moved so we know exactly what we have before the year.

Are there any teams that could use an OA goalie like parsons that have a younger goalie with upside that we may be interested in instead of our options that we already have?

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Doesn’t appear to be much of a OA market right now and is over saturated .Malboeuf could already be on waivers.

Last edited:

Storm and Rangers

Aug 28, 2022
One goalie moved for sure and then hopefully Misa or Swick get moved so we know exactly what we have before the year.

Are there any teams that could use an OA goalie like parsons that have a younger goalie with upside that we may be interested in instead of our options that we already have?
Yah I'm thinking Malboeuf is waived/released and Misaljevic or Swick is traded. You'll get more for them then you would for Pugliese and Pug is a fan favourite. Maybe trade Parsons at the deadline and get back a castoff vet to partner with Edwards.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Yah I'm thinking Malboeuf is waived/released and Misaljevic or Swick is traded. You'll get more for them then you would for Pugliese and Pug is a fan favourite. Maybe trade Parsons at the deadline and get back a castoff vet to partner with Edwards.
Assuming malboeuf is waived that would make sense for sure. Probably still wanna get some points before they trade their starting goalie and tank the second half of the season without ando, swick, Misaljevic (and obviously Rehkopf)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Here's a pic of the 14 surviving members of Montreal dynasty of their 4 consecutive Stanley Cup Championships back in the 70's.
Can someone name the 3 ex Kitchener Rangers in this pic?
1723677159327.png
1723677159327.png

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Bang on! and 100% on Risebroughs spelling! It's been mispronounced/spelt most of his career!
Three former Petes Doug Jarvis, Jim Roberts and Bob Gainey made up the famed Montreal Canadiens checking line. Former Peterborough Head Coach, Scott Bowman was the Canadiens Head Coach and former TPTs (Petes) Ececutive, Sam Pollock was Montreal’s General Manager.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
And born in Venezuela, as I recall from my early 70's program.
I remembered it was somewhere in South America. He was the first player from Erie youth hockey to play professionally, let alone in the NHL.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
MM didn't have Brampton over a barrel. But he didn't have to move Rehkopf either.

There certainly would have been a premium if some of those picks were conditional. At least there should have been. Conditional picks are like insurance. Insurance comes at a price.
We can agree to disagree I think. I don’t think the price could have been much higher than it was, whether conditional picks were involved or not.

You’re right that MM didn’t have to trade him now but it made sense because of our very empty cupboard. To maximize return, the sooner the deal gets done, the better the return.

Unlike other teams who have high end players to deal, (Barlow, Romani for example), the Rangers can afford to do without Rehkopf’s services in the first half of the season. As much as he mentions that he “wants a competitive team”, this team can withstand (financially) a significant drop in the standings that may have us out of the playoffs this year or be a much less competitive, quick “four games and out” type team.

Couple that with the possibility that as the season nears the deadline, other high end forwards could hit the market should their teams who thought they could contend this year, falter. More players on the market turns that into a buyer’s market, and it makes sense MM wanting to get a deal done sooner than later.

MM said in the Josh Brown article that there was interest from other teams. I don’t doubt that at all. Likely, he put it out there that he’d move Rehkopf and waited for offers. Interested teams, perhaps Barrie, Brantford and Oshawa, likely would have put together packages that included their ‘08 1st rounder. That would be standard for a player of this calibre. But, that likely meant that the pick return would have been significantly reduced depending on the ‘08 - and the deal would have to be done in January.

Since there are no guarantees as to whether or not any of the ‘08’s offered would ever become elite at 18 - 19 years old, MM went with the offer that didn’t include an ‘08 but rather a bounty of picks, and a deal that could be completed now.

That being said, MM could have said to Brampton that he had comparable offers from other teams, none of which included any conditional picks. Therefore, if you want Rehkopf, there’ll be no conditions on any of the picks in the deal. MM insists the deal with Brampton be done before the start of the season or he stays a Ranger until the deadline.

That’s where I meant that MM may have had Brampton “over a barrel”. Brampton either walks away from the deal which would probably mean Rehkopf goes to a conference rival in January, or concede that there’d be no conditions on any of the picks, and then get the elite player now, the type of elite player that usually has you having to surrender a 16 year old 1st rounder - a signed 1st rounder that Brampton did not have.

Based on all this, and based on the likelihood of Rehkopf playing in the league this year via assurances from the Kraken, the deal was done without involving conditional picks.

Without looking to see if there were other high end to elite players recently dealt in the off season preceding their 19 year old year, one deal that did occur was the Logan Stanley deal. Every pick going to Windsor in that deal held conditions on him playing one game for the Rangers that year. The price was 2 x 2nds, 3rd, 4th and 15th, all conditional. Surely the price wouldn’t have been cheaper, for that player, had there been no conditions.

MM covered his rear end in the Stanley deal. It was an eye opener for me that none of the picks in this deal held conditions.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just following the Razor conversation during the summer doldrums. Wonder if Razor had MM over a barrel? Limiting the teams he would only be traded to this coming season. Obviously going to Brampton suggest he wanted to play closer to home in his last season. MM created the situation the Rangers found themselves in with depleted assets. He was obligated to replenish these assets he used up in the last couple of seasons. Running a team like Old Mother Hubbard isn't much of a plan for success. If the plan going forward is to bid on the next Mem Cup as he says MM will not only need to develop the young players into future stars but also have to have a decent amount of 2nds and 3rds in order to acquire the top players available . Other teams will certainly be doing the same going forward. A lot of things have to fall into place along with a couple of well places horse shoes.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Just following the Razor conversation during the summer doldrums. Wonder if Razor had MM over a barrel? Limiting the teams he would only be traded to this coming season. Obviously going to Brampton suggest he wanted to play closer to home in his last season. MM created the situation the Rangers found themselves in with depleted assets. He was obligated to replenish these assets he used up in the last couple of seasons. Running a team like Old Mother Hubbard isn't much of a plan for success. If the plan going forward is to bid on the next Mem Cup as he says MM will not only need to develop the young players into future stars but also have to have a decent amount of 2nds and 3rds in order to acquire the top players available . Other teams will certainly be doing the same going forward. A lot of things have to fall into place along with a couple of well places horse shoes.
As an outsider, I think that was a very nice piece of business for Kitchener. They had two premium assets in Rehkopf and Andonovski to move this year and just cashed out big on draft capital on Rehkopf. I don't think they were going to get 08 first rounders for both players so getting the big pick package now I think takes off the pressure on the eventual move of Andonovski who could very well be the top D piece on the move this year. They can hold Andonovski to the deadline and cash in then with what could be a very intriguing bidding war for a little more unique piece in the league nowadays. Always hurts to trade players like that and I'm sure fan sentiment is generally never satisfied with the return but it's a necessary piece of business in the league unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad