Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Nick names are a fact with many sports teams but for those who don't prefer them, NP. The players, coaches, and fans use them. That's cool too. :thumbu:
True, and in all fairness abbreviations are sometimes part of posting here to make it easier. I use MM for Mike McKenzie all the time for example. Some used Bruz for Brzustewicz. That's fair, can't totally blame them - tough name to spell.....and pretty hard to get confused with that abbreviation. Personally, I could never memorize his name so just copy & paste all the time :)

Last edited:

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
This is true. "Missile" is the nickname almost 100 % of the Ranger posters would call Misaljevic when the reference him in a post. if they shortened his handle. He started out last season on fire and was at the top of the leader board for a while. Some GMs might see more value in him and want to add him to their roster. MM will take the best offer if they decide to go in this direction. At the very least he would add some assets.
Wondering who would possibly be in the market for a "reasonably skilled" OA RW in Misaljevic........Guelph ?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Wondering who would possibly be in the market for a "reasonably skilled" OA RW in Misaljevic........Guelph ?
Personally I think the coaches , GMs and scouts of opposing teams have a better handle on the skill of the players and can project where they would fit into their specific plans this season. The OHL is a anomaly where players either come in and level out or increase the level of their play each season with experience and age. If MM decides to trade Misaljevic there will be some suitors interested for sure. He might not go to a team that is going to take a shot this season. Some of these players just want to spend their last season closer to home. Fun to speculate.

Storm and Rangers

Aug 28, 2022
I doubt Guelph. I'd project them to keep Karabela, Namestnikov and Budnick as their OAs. Even if you move any of these guys, Misaljevic is a downgrade on both forwards and if they move Budnick their only left-shot D is Skvortsov the import.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Based on what looks like a league wide over saturated 24-25 OA group, we might take it on the chin getting fair value for Swick, let alone Miseljevic.
Yeah, good point.

Just something I've been thinking about.....This team loses 48% of last years goals with the absence of Rehkopf, Brzustewicz, Sop, Mesar, and Motew from this line-up. Take both Swick and Misaljevic out of this line-up, along with an expected Andonovski trade, and now you're up to 2/3 of last year's goal production gone.

I think we can count on good things happening from Ellinas, and both (still young )Romano and Lam should take that next step. Also, maybe Sale is here. Pugliese maybe has a career year. But boy, a lot of things have to fall into place to get some meaningful scoring on this team if Swick and Misaljevic go for a minimal return. In that scenario it's likely going to be moreless scoring by committee, and yes I realize a cheap older add(s) will contribute a bit too, along with guys like Mercer and Bottineau.

As teams' systems fall into place, and good teams get even better and older as they load up, my mind will be trying to prepare for a tough second half.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, good point.

Just something I've been thinking about.....This team loses 48% of last years goals with the absence of Rehkopf, Brzustewicz, Sop, Mesar, and Motew from this line-up. Take both Swick and Misaljevic out of this line-up, along with an expected Andonovski trade, and now you're up to 2/3 of last year's goal production gone.

I think we can count on good things happening from Ellinas, and both (still young )Romano and Lam should take that next step. Also, maybe Sale is here. Pugliese maybe has a career year. But boy, a lot of things have to fall into place to get some meaningful scoring on this team if Swick and Misaljevic go for a minimal return. In that scenario it's likely going to be moreless scoring by committee, and yes I realize a cheap older add(s) will contribute a bit too, along with guys like Mercer and Bottineau.

As teams' systems fall into place, and good teams get even better and older as they load up, my mind will be trying to prepare for a tough second half.

It hopefully will be a rough 2nd half win /loss wise if MM does what he should. The young kids will get a lot of ice in the 2nd half which will be great for development and we should get a top 4 (I’m hoping) pick in the 2025 draft. That player will be someone that plays an important role in mem cup year….think Mike Richards.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Uncertainty in the OA market is all the more incentive for MM to hit it out of the park on the Andonovski return.

Reactions: Gondrex

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
A projected roster was nicely formatted a few weeks ago. This is just to give a rough visualization of the player positions, and it's just easier for me personally to get a sense of what we are looking at very early. This is not necessarily intended to pinpoint line combinations, and things will definitely change.

The consensus seems to be that both Misaljevic and Swick will be traded, and I think we all agree that Andonovski will eventually be traded as well. So I've left them off, and maybe you even can consider this a post-trade deadline roster - keeping in mind that the odd player could, or will likely be added (a replacement OA for instance).

I may have missed someone, so feel free to juggle / add / subtract as you see fit. As we go through training camp this will likely change. Heck, it could change next week if some trades are made. Of course, Swick, Misaljevic and/or Andonovski could likely be part of this line-up for some time.

Sale (05) - Romano (07) - Pugliese (04)
Ellinas (06) - Mercer (05) - Lam (07)
Hlcar (06) - Headrick (08) - Bottineau (06)
Labrash (07) - Cameron (08) - Aquette (07) / Anstis (08)

Reid (07) - Campbell (06)
Dirracolo (06) - Stark (07)
Bilecki (08) - MacNeil (07)

Parsons (04)
Edwards (07)

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Based on what looks like a league wide over saturated 24-25 OA group, we might take it on the chin getting fair value for Swick, let alone Miseljevic.

I think you're right. How about looking at it the other way? Based on the preliminary line-up I had posted moments ago, it may appear that an OA defenseman may be a possible need at our end. So if, we get little for say, Misaljevic, perhaps we pay a reasonable price for an OA D-man. I know that is a simplistic way to look at it, because I have no idea what the present OA D-man market is like compared to RW.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It hopefully will be a rough 2nd half win /loss wise if MM does what he should. The young kids will get a lot of ice in the 2nd half which will be great for development and we should get a top 4 (I’m hoping) pick in the 2025 draft. That player will be someone that plays an important role in mem cup year….think Mike Richards.
I think no matter who we sell off, we may have a hard time finishing out of the playoffs this year. Most of the strength of the league this year will be in the east. Outside of a few teams, the bottom half of the west will be hurting.

We might still make the playoffs no matter how hard we “try” not to.

The last time we finished 8th in the conference, we picked 9th in the next draft (Hage). I’m with you. I’d rather miss and get that top four lottery pick than just get in and drop x number of slots depending on what happens in the bottom half of the east.

The last few times we drafted in the top four, we’ve come up with some elite OHLers. Eminger. Richards. Murphy. Mascherin. Missing the playoffs this year should guarantee us another ringer.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
A projected roster was nicely formatted a few weeks ago. This is just to give a rough visualization of the player positions, and it's just easier for me personally to get a sense of what we are looking at very early. This is not necessarily intended to pinpoint line combinations, and things will definitely change.

The consensus seems to be that both Misaljevic and Swick will be traded, and I think we all agree that Andonovski will eventually be traded as well. So I've left them off, and maybe you even can consider this a post-trade deadline roster - keeping in mind that the odd player could, or will likely be added (a replacement OA for instance).

I may have missed someone, so feel free to juggle / add / subtract as you see fit. As we go through training camp this will likely change. Heck, it could change next week if some trades are made. Of course, Swick, Misaljevic and/or Andonovski could likely be part of this line-up for some time.

Parsons (04)
Edwards (07)

Not to nitpick but keep in mind that it Swick or Miseljevic are traded at the deadline that they would be getting another overage back in return. Unless some team plays this year with only two to start the season off but that pretty much never happens.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Not to nitpick but keep in mind that it Swick or Miseljevic are traded at the deadline that they would be getting another overage back in return. Unless some team plays this year with only two to start the season off but that pretty much never happens.
Yes, likely you would see one in return. I did mention the possibility of a replacement OA though. I just didn't show him anywhere on the line-up because was unsure if it would be a FWD or D.

Reactions: Habsrule

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
I know we tend to parse offhand comments too much, but for what its worth, MM referenced Swick Missile and Ando as important veterans that will insulate the younger players. The D is really inexperienced so having Ando to soak up tough minutes will be important.

I agree on the lack of goals returning. Looks bleak, but there will be ice time and opportunity for players to step up. Most of us (or maybe just me) thought the same thing last year and the goals came from some hoped-for, but not necessarily expected places.

Ranger77

Dec 29, 2014

Parsons (04)
Edwards (07)
Would really be nice to get an import or two in that lineup. The last few years, the Rangers have not done a good job of drafting imports who actually are interested in coming over. Other OHL teams seem to be signing their picks. Frustrating!

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I thought the Ahokas would have been a good draw to get some imports over but it hasn’t worked out that way yet. Hopefully we have atleast one import signed in the next month but it’s looking not too promising.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
Are we assuming that Sale is not coming? I agree that it is far from a sure thing. If he does come, he is probably on the trade block.

Gondrex's lineup highlights the lack of centre depth with Razor traded and Stark on D. Yikes. Maybe Ellie gets a shot at 2C? Wouldn't be shocked if Headrick starts on the wing. Labrash is a year older, has some size and was drafted as a C. Maybe he gets a shot as a C.

Reactions: Gondrex

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Parsons (04)
Edwards (07)
Sale since he was drafted before coming to the ohl has the ability to go to the ahl this year I believe. However if he is coming back- he should have some value and produce better with a season of NA hockey under his belt. If he comes back- gotta assume he is traded too.

Very young team though, holy crap! Wonder if they make an OA addition to the back end to get a vet to teach all the younger D, not a single 19-20 year old on defence.

Reactions: RB76 and Gondrex

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
First off, I think we’re going to see just about every line combo possible, especially in the 1st half. I think we’ll also likely see a mix of ages throughout the lines just to have some balance.

Ellinas was drafted in the OHL as a center. Last year he looked good when he filled in at center for a stretch of games.

Based on size, scouting reports having Headrick maybe needing time to get his footing in the league, and Cameron being ranked ahead of Headrick in some rankings, I can see Cameron slotted ahead of Headrick at C this year.

So perhaps we see Ellinas, Mercer, Romano, and Cameron as the four C’s.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Any ranking that had Cameron over Headrick is imo wrong. Cameron might edge out Headrick to start at C because he plays more of a 200ft game and a larger body.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Sale since he was drafted before coming to the ohl has the ability to go to the ahl this year I believe. However if he is coming back- he should have some value and produce better with a season of NA hockey under his belt. If he comes back- gotta assume he is traded too.

Very young team though, holy crap! Wonder if they make an OA addition to the back end to get a vet to teach all the younger D, not a single 19-20 year old on defence.

On Sale:
Him going to the AHL is a real possibility (good that you point out that important factor). Not having an import come over and sign doesn't help this situation. Does MM need to spend a pick(s) to trade for a (cheap ?!) import ...... if one exists ?

On the OA situation:
The line-up shown is young, but keep in mind that I did not pencil in Misaljevic, Swick, or Andonovski. Quite likely at least one or two, and maybe even all three start the season on this line-up - especially if Hlcar is already listed on Cambridge's line-up as KRanger pointed out (Thanks for that piece of info). That way Hlcar maybe gets a half season to further work on his skating and overall game at that lower level before making the next step in the 2nd half. Of course I have no idea if this is the case, and that's complete speculation on my part.

On Ellinas at center:
Yeah, this is a real possibility - and maybe even quite likely. I was debating on whether or not to show that, but was trying to somewhat show a balance on positions. But good point. If a team needs goals, this may make more sense. I guess my question then becomes, does 19 year-old Mercer remain on the 3rd line? I suppose it is certainly possible, and may even make more sense doing that and then add some youngsters to his wings (?)

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad