Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Okay, so please let me clarify a couple of things. I rewatched the fight video and I suppose Pinelli "wins" the fight though it depends on how you score it. Do you count punches thrown or only the ones that land? And do you count that last "bop" on the head, while the linesman is in there, as a punch. I stick with my original thought..........it was NOT a beat down.

Was it a good move? Yes, the captain is trying to stir this team up but it should have been mission accomplished months ago. If I am coach the opposing team, I tell my 4th line players, "Go sucker Pinelli into a fight. Take one of his team mates into the boards if you have to. We don't want his goal scoring butt on the ice and he is the only guy on the team that fights."

I really hope Pinelli tells his team, "It would be nice if some of you guys did this, for a change?"

Yeah, that's actually a good point. He's up to 2 fights on the season now, got to be very selective on where he picks and chooses his fights now. Otherwise it costs us arguably our best player 5 mins in the bin plus supplemental discipline.

But I do agree overall as well that it would be nice if a certain 6'5 200+ pound super soft defencemen on this squad would grow a pair and add an element of grit to his game. He isn't doing much else.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, that's actually a good point. He's up to 2 fights on the season now, got to be very selective on where he picks and chooses his fights now. Otherwise it costs us arguably our best player 5 mins in the bin plus supplemental discipline.

But I do agree overall as well that it would be nice if a certain 6'5 200+ pound super soft defencemen on this squad would grow a pair and add an element of grit to his game. He isn't doing much else.
Kind of agree to that BUT what purpose would that do when a 5'8" 160lbs whoops his butt? If you want to make a statement then get a statement said for the Rangers and not the other team. Right or wrong but I dont think fighting is coached anymore. I remember when Barnaby was here, he would tangle with players after practice teaching them the finer points/tricks of how to fight in hockey.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Kind of agree to that BUT what purpose would that do when a 5'8" 160lbs whoops his butt? If you want to make a statement then get a statement said for the Rangers and not the other team. Right or wrong but I dont think fighting is coached anymore. I remember when Barnaby was here, he would tangle with players after practice teaching them the finer points/tricks of how to fight in hockey.

That's a great point.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
That's a great point.
I think MM tried to address the grit factor during the summer when he obtained the rights for a US player who was a non NCAA commit. Last I heard he was playing in Colorado somewhere. I think Even noted that very early in the season.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Okay, so please let me clarify a couple of things. I rewatched the fight video and I suppose Pinelli "wins" the fight though it depends on how you score it. Do you count punches thrown or only the ones that land? And do you count that last "bop" on the head, while the linesman is in there, as a punch. I stick with my original thought..........it was NOT a beat down.

Was it a good move? Yes, the captain is trying to stir this team up but it should have been mission accomplished months ago. If I am coach the opposing team, I tell my 4th line players, "Go sucker Pinelli into a fight. Take one of his team mates into the boards if you have to. We don't want his goal scoring butt on the ice and he is the only guy on the team that fights."

I really hope Pinelli tells his team, "It would be nice if some of you guys did this, for a change?"
When the refs have to get in there to stop a fight because one fighter is in trouble and being dominated, that fighter lost the fight.

I doubt Pinelli gets suckered into any fights. He was first on scene. Had he been on the bench for that hit, you’d hope others would have provided pushback.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm just saying that if Pinelli is going to be the only one jumping into the fray on this team, the other teams will start taking advantage of this.
They’ll try. But at two fights now, someone else will have to step up or we’ll get run over. Andonovski has two be at 2+ fights as well.

Nobody is expecting everyone to fight, but a couple head shots in a scrum with the gloves on would as least show some pushback.

Especially from guys with size. Schmidt, Martin, Swick and Hollett, when he’s playing, should be more involved.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
They’ll try. But at two fights now, someone else will have to step up or we’ll get run over. Andonovski has two be at 2+ fights as well.

Nobody is expecting everyone to fight, but a couple head shots in a scrum with the gloves on would as least show some pushback.

Especially from guys with size. Schmidt, Martin, Swick and Hollett, when he’s playing, should be more involved.
That's just it. A little edge and pushback. I've never seen a team as "turn the other cheek" as this Rangers team.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It's good to have character through out a team. Some teams seem to play with an edge like the Attack. Not sure if they go looking for sandpaper or it's coached into them.
100%. I think OS has it coached into them. As new players join the team via draft or trade, they quickly learn the culture . It's expected.

Looking at our roster I don't think anyone has the skills to get established in pro hockey without playing with some edge to their game. That doesn't mean they have to drop their gloves at the drop of a hat - that's not part of it anymore. Just stand up and be counted. Unfortunately I don't think we have more than a handful capable of that.

Moore talked about "team bonding". Nothing bonds a team like knowing everyone has each other's back.

Last edited:

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
100%. I think OS has it coached into them. As new players join the team via draft or trade, they quickly learn the culture . It's expected.

Looking at our roster I don't think anyone has the skills to get established in pro hockey without playing with some edge to their game. That doesn't mean they have to drop their gloves at the drop of a hat - that's not part of it anymore. Just stand up and be counted. Unfortunately I don't think we have more than a handful capable of that.

Moore talked about "team bonding". Nothing bonds a team like knowing everyone has each other's back.
Its funny, I think its both. I think they try to bring in guys with that element, but its also part of the culture. And if its missing, they do what they have to do to bring more of it in (ie. Hookey and Stewart)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It's good to have character through out a team. Some teams seem to play with an edge like the Attack. Not sure if they go looking for sandpaper or it's coached into them.
Both. ‘Character’ is 100% sought after by DeGray.

Reactions: Rangers2022

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Both. ‘Character’ is 100% sought after by DeGray.
This is what the Hamilton GM said also. They look to add character to their squad. I don't think there is anything wrong with a player or two with attitude that gets under opponents skins. See it all the time in pro hockey. It does get the crowd into the game whether they like it or not. We might see some character tonight with London coming into the Aud. The crowd here always gets their game face on when Hunter gets up on the bench. ;)

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Last I heard he was playing in Colorado somewhere.
Gleb Veremyev (2003) - 6'4" Colorado College freshman foward.

From Mississisauga for Brady Schwindt rights. Apparently hasn't played since leaving game November 19th with a leg injury. Had 2G 5A in 14 games.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Gleb Veremyev (2003) - 6'4" Colorado College freshman foward.

From Mississisauga for Brady Schwindt rights. Apparently hasn't played since leaving game November 19th with a leg injury. Had 2G 7A in 14 games.
That was physicality that MM tried to bring in. Would have been nice.

Reactions: K2

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Not taking Schmidt off after taking a puck to the foot is bad coaching.

If you want to watch pathetic hockey, just re-watch that first period. Horrendous.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Defensive zone coverage was abysmal at times. Although by Dennis' metrics it's been fantastic only giving up 9 shots.

Fortunate it's 2-0.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Surprised to see Dennis behind the bench to start the second.

I guess when you've preselected a coach 4 yrs ago and waited this long for him, a firing isn't going to happen.

Question: was there an actual coaching search and interviews with other candidates or was CD just annoited the chosen one?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad